Random thoughts...

All things outside of Burning Man.
Jewel***

Post by Jewel*** » Sun May 06, 2007 7:08 pm

getting divorced is a long, drawn out, drag. a real pain in the ass.

Wind_Borne

Just Asking...

Post by Wind_Borne » Mon May 07, 2007 1:39 pm

If world sea levels are rising... just how many feet under water will New Orleans be in 2050?
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
-- George Washington

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon May 07, 2007 1:51 pm

If you don't want to be a spectator, then wear a blindfold.

gyre

Re: Just Asking...

Post by gyre » Mon May 07, 2007 2:39 pm

Wind_Borne wrote:If world sea levels are rising... just how many feet under water will New Orleans be in 2050?
It is thirty feet below now.
So, I'd guess more than that.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

Wind_Borne

Re: Just Asking...

Post by Wind_Borne » Mon May 07, 2007 2:45 pm

gyre wrote:
Wind_Borne wrote:If world sea levels are rising... just how many feet under water will New Orleans be in 2050?
It is thirty feet below now.
So, I'd guess more than that.
Hmmm... Baton Rouge... it's the new New Orleans
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
-- George Washington

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue May 08, 2007 12:35 pm

Live while you're alive.
None of us will survive.

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Tue May 08, 2007 5:41 pm

Unfinished wood beams may look nice, but they are really nasty to clean! Two days in a row coming home completely covered in dust, soot, and sawdust from cleaning those things-- and still at least a day's worth ahead! :?

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Tue May 08, 2007 6:24 pm

What New Orleans? there is an inherent problem with a city that is below sea level.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

BigCock

Post by BigCock » Wed May 09, 2007 6:36 am

more feathers. need more feathers.

robotland

Post by robotland » Wed May 09, 2007 6:42 am

Not sure what to do right now.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Thu May 10, 2007 5:44 pm

Done with unfinished cedar beams, and now cleaning dirt and debris covered toilets and urinals.... :?

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu May 10, 2007 7:09 pm

If Big Island was so much better as an adult, what else did I miss on my teen-angst travels? Or is it just time with mylarry that makes it all so much better?

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu May 10, 2007 10:26 pm

Olives and Spoink. Is that a punk band name or Domino's Pizza toppings?

Spoink and Olives. Olives and Spoink.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri May 11, 2007 10:07 am

Poor little Santa Cataline island! :(

Dork

Post by Dork » Fri May 11, 2007 10:40 am

I wish job satisfaction and life satisfaction were not so closely linked for me.

Like my home, hate my job. Getting a new job would likely involve moving to a new city where I will not be able to afford the same setup.

I wish I could have both, or at least stop caring about one. Ugh.

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Sat May 12, 2007 12:13 am

mdmf007 wrote:What New Orleans? there is an inherent problem with a city that is below sea level.
There weren't any finger-holes in the dike! :P
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

OregonRed
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Post by OregonRed » Sat May 12, 2007 9:05 am

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! I'm five weeks from graduation!!!!!! Of course, I'm only receiving my Associates Degree, but it's still an accomplishment. Now the challenge is to find a job and figure out how the FUCK I'm gonna pay for my Bachelors and Masters Degrees... Still, feeling rather proud that I, a high-school dropout, can actually follow through on at least one of my educational goals.

Hooray!
M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat May 12, 2007 9:45 am

Congratulations.
A great accomplishment when they have made it as hard as it is today.

You should be happy about this.

And we should all be doing something to make it possible for anyone who can make the grades, to afford to go.
The loan program is disgraceful, even without the current corruption.

Keep at it.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon May 14, 2007 11:24 am

Shop around the outside wall of the supermarket. The fresh food is along there. The canned stuff is in the middle; that's where the poison's at. ;)

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon May 14, 2007 11:29 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:Shop around the outside wall of the supermarket. The fresh food is along there. The canned stuff is in the middle; that's where the poison's at. ;)
Better yet, if you have access to a farmer's market, buy local produce. I've sat on the truck, I know how far those fruits and veggies are shipped at 6 miles to the gallon of diesel. Befriend a trucker who hauls reefer units, the amount of food thrown out is disgraceful, and they often end up with it on their hands and are happy to give it away.

Wind_Borne

Post by Wind_Borne » Mon May 14, 2007 11:35 am

OregonRed wrote:I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! I'm five weeks from graduation!!!!!! Of course, I'm only receiving my Associates Degree, but it's still an accomplishment. Now the challenge is to find a job and figure out how the FUCK I'm gonna pay for my Bachelors and Masters Degrees... Still, feeling rather proud that I, a high-school dropout, can actually follow through on at least one of my educational goals.

Hooray!
Way to go!
-- George Washington

Wind_Borne

Post by Wind_Borne » Mon May 14, 2007 11:53 am

AntiM wrote: Better yet, if you have access to a farmer's market, buy local produce. I've sat on the truck, I know how far those fruits and veggies are shipped at 6 miles to the gallon of diesel. Befriend a trucker who hauls reefer units, the amount of food thrown out is disgraceful, and they often end up with it on their hands and are happy to give it away.
It guess it's a well recognized fact that we have enough food to feed everyone in the world, even in those war torn African nations, were it not for political corruption. Think of the opening scene of "Black Hawk Down", where the local warlords kill people at a UN food distrubition site. Why? Because he who controls the food controls the people.

A not so well known fact, locally grown food usually has a higher carbon foot print than globally grown food. Why? Energy used for transportation is minor compared to the energy used for production. The most energy efficient way to get food to market is to grow it where it grows best, and ship it to where it is consumed. For instance, it takes less energy (and releases less carbon) to put lamb chop on a table in England from a New Zealand lamb than an English lamb. And it's cheaper, too (because it took less energy to raise and deliver).

As to the quality of the produce at the farmer's market... that's a different matter.
-- George Washington

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Mon May 14, 2007 1:30 pm

Because he who controls the food controls the people.

Its the simplest commodities that control our lives - like beef, grain, oil, power, tires, etc. disruption if these items will cause riots..

check out the amount of food that ADM controls worldwide - scary stuff.

Another fact that i find interesting is our capacity for shipping. Ask a trucker they know this well. Not many trucking companies keep extra tractors sittign idle in case of need. There is only a 3-4% surge capacity in trucking in this country. This means that when there is a Katrina size event there arent enough trucks to go around and deliver. Without surge capacity you have to short other cuspomers, dely deliveries or cancel contracts outright.

Why? It does not pay to have tractors sit idle, and is a crappy business model that does not pay - thats why its not done.

anyways - in an ideal world I would see the food more evenly distributed, but then it would just lead to more overpopulation, and even more need for food to be distributed.
later
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

Wind_Borne

Post by Wind_Borne » Mon May 14, 2007 3:28 pm

mdmf007 wrote: Another fact that i find interesting is our capacity for shipping. Ask a trucker they know this well. Not many trucking companies keep extra tractors sittign idle in case of need. There is only a 3-4% surge capacity in trucking in this country. This means that when there is a Katrina size event there arent enough trucks to go around and deliver. Without surge capacity you have to short other cuspomers, dely deliveries or cancel contracts outright.

Why? It does not pay to have tractors sit idle, and is a crappy business model that does not pay - thats why its not done.
Pareto Principle: The first 20% of effort yields 80% of the results; and the last 20% of results costs 80% of the effort.

The Boy Scout motto, Be Prepared, taken to the extreme, is a prescription for bankruptcy.

Better: Be Reasonably Prepared.
-- George Washington

The CO
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Post by The CO » Mon May 14, 2007 10:40 pm

Wind_Borne wrote:For instance, it takes less energy (and releases less carbon) to put lamb chop on a table in England from a New Zealand lamb than an English lamb. And it's cheaper, too (because it took less energy to raise and deliver).
Can you give some more detail on how that works? A well-fed lamb is a lamb no matter where it is... Or do they grow better in New Zealand?
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

Wind_Borne

Post by Wind_Borne » Tue May 15, 2007 12:11 am

The CO wrote:
Wind_Borne wrote:For instance, it takes less energy (and releases less carbon) to put lamb chop on a table in England from a New Zealand lamb than an English lamb. And it's cheaper, too (because it took less energy to raise and deliver).
Can you give some more detail on how that works? A well-fed lamb is a lamb no matter where it is... Or do they grow better in New Zealand?
Yup. Due to the climate and terrain, it takes fewer resources to raise a lamb in NZ.

Check out the article "Food Politics" in the December 7th, 2006 issue of the Economist. If you're interested I could look for an electonic copy of the article.
-- George Washington

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue May 15, 2007 9:10 am

Jewel*** wrote:getting divorced is a long, drawn out, drag. a real pain in the ass.
OR
A long slide down a rusty razor.

jpx

Post by jpx » Tue May 15, 2007 11:23 am

i am going to montreal! in 2 wks, for 1 wk. awesome.
for me and my true love will never meet again

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Tue May 15, 2007 12:21 pm

never substitute mouthwash for pinesol when mopping your floor.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

mojo

Post by mojo » Tue May 15, 2007 12:36 pm

Or vice-versa when gargling......

Return to “Open Discussion”