Costume: contribution or self-expression?

All things outside of Burning Man.

Should wearing a costume be considered:

self-expression
21%
self-expression
21%
contributing to the community
9%
contributing to the community
9%
other
21%
other
21%

Total votes: 58

Wind_Borne

Post by Wind_Borne » Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:13 pm

Madmatt, thats me standing on top of Mt Thoro, Alaska, installing a weather station. Denali (McKinley) is in the background.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
-- George Washington

Kinetic II

Post by Kinetic II » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:54 pm

Wind_Borne wrote:Madmatt, thats me standing on top of Mt Thoro, Alaska, installing a weather station. Denali (McKinley) is in the background.
I'm curious what group you work for. I know that AVO (Alaska Volcano Observatory) also installs all kinds of weather and seismic monitoring stations up there, I was curious if you were associated with them. And the view you had behind you is similar to something I'd like to see someday. Denali fascinates me. What a place to be at, even if it was work!

Wind_Borne

Post by Wind_Borne » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:00 am

Kinetic II,

The interior of Alaska is sparsely monitored by weather equipment today. That limits the ability to forecast the weather and evaluate climatic change. Adding new reporting stations is an on going project involving the NWS (Nation Weather Service) and the University of Alaska,

Denali is one very big piece of granite. The whole interior dwarfs us puny humans. If you go there find some time to camp on the tundra away from tourists -- like BM, it will adjust your perspective. But please prepare well and get local guidance: it is not a forgiving land.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
-- George Washington

madmatt

Post by madmatt » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:02 am

I meant south pole. But I was close, it was Alaska. Looks beautiful.

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:05 am

WARNING: Geek speak ahead.
Denali is one very big piece of granite...
Along with just a little bit of basalt. I was pretty surprised to find out a while back that Denali is one of the few composite (strato) volcanoes in the world that does not owe its existence to plate subduction - at least directly. First look at a map and you realize its way too far inland for any of that coastal subduction range stuff. Ordinarily the mention of granite associated with a volcano would raise a red flag or two but not in this case. Looks like it was a very cool project BTW.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Kinetic II

Post by Kinetic II » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:13 am

Badger, where did you get that info? Online? Books? I've found some info at the Alaska Volcano Observatory website: http://www.avo.alaska.edu/avo4/index.htm but would love to learn more about this stuff. Volcanoes, Plate Tectonics, that stuff has long fascinated me.

Speaking of volcanoes, the assessment of Mt. Rainier by the Cascades Volcano Observatory ruled out Seattle as a relocation choice. I don't want to be anywhere near that damn mountain.
http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/home.html
Anyway enough thread drift....but thanks Wind_Borne for the details on what you were doing up there.

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:31 am

Bump!
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

Return to “Open Discussion”