Flipper goes to war

All things outside of Burning Man.
Deleted Barkeep

Flipper goes to war

Post by Deleted Barkeep » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:10 am

I'm not making this up. The story follows Yahoo's usual advertisement.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/ ... 2&src=news

Camp Herring - any comments?

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:39 am

Thanks for the television commerical with a promise of an old news story, I couldn't bear the advertising so I didn't see Flipper.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

Deleted Barkeep

Post by Deleted Barkeep » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:25 pm

In the wee hours of somebody's morning, more quickly than almost anybody posting to this board could say "knee jerk reaction", somebody decided to share.
Toolmaker wrote:Thanks for the television commerical with a promise of an old news story, I couldn't bear the advertising so I didn't see Flipper.
Sigh. Some people just live to complain, don't they? You can't really say that you went in not knowing that there was going to be an advertisement before the news story, because I warned you about it in my first post in this discussion. So, if you knew that you couldn't cope with seeing an ad, why did you click on that link? Aside from a desire on your part to troll, I mean. I saw the story, saw its potential for satire, and thought you guys might have fun with it. Obviously, I was wrong. I could say something about how reasonable expecting me to have editorial control over Yahoo!News would be, but screw it. Why bother trying to laugh with people who have more fun screaming?

mojo

Post by mojo » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:50 pm

Dolphin sweaters - the dingbats are knitting sweaters - for dolphins.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:30 pm

Deleted Barkeep wrote:You can't really say that you went in not knowing that there was going to be an advertisement before the news story, because I warned you about it in my first post in this discussion.
Thanks for stating again that you knew commerce ads were involved. Thanks for the advertising.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:12 pm

I am all for the Dolphins - You would not believe the news it is causing here in Western WA.

IMHO, as far as the dolphin is concerned it gets to play a game, and be rewarded. Its another level of protection keeping someone away form a NUCLEAR SUBMARINE BASE, with enough firepower to incinerate most of mankinds biggest cities without leaving the dock.

All the dolphin does is swims up to a diver and clamps a tether on their leg, thenswims off. It alerts by swimming back to the tender boat or security personnel and breaching the water. At the same time a bouy with a steel tether inflates when the clamp is released (every diver has a knife) and up comes the bouy.

Security grabes the bouy and pulls up the target.

I suppose that there are groups of people that do not like to see animals used for any task humans put in fron of them evem if the animal is well taken care of, gets to play games all day, and can possible prevent a terror attack.

The sweaters are just a joke, to raise awareness

eric
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:19 pm

When I was a Navy brat and dad was stationed at Pt. Mugu, the dolphins were part of the underwater ordinance squad and did stuff like patrols. This was 1965 folks! Nuttin' new to see here, move along.

Cruel hell, I think they enjoy it. The wild ones in DG used to come find us on the little power boats when we were out in the lagoon, and race us repeatedly. They really do all that back-flip and dancing stuff just to show off for an audience.

Return to “Open Discussion”