Cross Country trek to Burning Man from DC Aug 18/19th

All things outside of Burning Man.
crazydesi

Cross Country trek to Burning Man from DC Aug 18/19th

Post by crazydesi » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:57 am

Currently planning a cross country trip from the DC/metro area to Burning Man 2007 starting around August 18/19th, arriving in Reno August 26th. Will plan to drive approx 8 hrs/day, preferably with your help and lodge in economical accomodations each night in major cities along the way (locations flexible). Might even stop over in the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone for 1-2 days. Looking to share this ride with anyone easy going and laid back. If interested, hit me up directly at paj5s@yahoo.com.

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Mon May 21, 2007 8:11 pm

If you come up highway 95 from the south, be careful going through Schurz, NV! Supposedly the Schurz tribal police have harassed burners w/o probable cause

helitack
Burning Since: 2004

Post by helitack » Mon May 21, 2007 8:21 pm

If you define "harass" as giving people tickets for a defective vehicles, speeding, pissing on someones property, smoking dope...
BIA police are no different than NHP, or the SO.
Actively helping President Trump build the wall

Winning hearts and minds in lovely TexMexistan...

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue May 22, 2007 7:25 am

Both Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon are a day's drive, one way, out of your way on the "best" route from DC to Reno. Then you'd need a day or more just to check these places out, then route yourself back toward Reno. It can be done, but why rush it?

If you're traveling I-70 then up to I-80, or over to US50, in Utah, consider some of Southern Utah's parks, we have five nationals and a buttload of cool state parks and national monuments, plus they'll be close to your route. My favorite? Bryce Canyon. We also have Zion, Arches, Capital Reef and Canyonlands, all within an easy drive of I-70.

Check out the parks and monuments:

http://www.utah.com/nationalparks/

http://www.utah.com/stateparks/

http://www.utah.com/nationalsites/

My favorite state park:

http://www.utah.com/stateparks/goblin_valley.htm

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Tue May 22, 2007 7:59 am

Anti,

Are there any 'circuit' routes that are out there where one can visit all the parks in the area without having to backtrack distances?

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Tue May 22, 2007 9:25 am

Isotopia wrote:Anti,

Are there any 'circuit' routes that are out there where one can visit all the parks in the area without having to backtrack distances?
Sorta, kinda. making a circle? Er, not so much. From the east, headed for Reno? From the east, I-70, take US191 down to Moab and Arches. Then south on 191, and side trip over to Canyonlands on 279 or 211. That's a backtrack, but a small one. Then south to Blanding, then take 95 NW then 24 through Capitol Reef. Then Sw on 12 at Torrey through Escalante to Bryce Canyon. Head west next, US89 south through Long Valley to 9 west through Zion.

Then over to I-15 at Toquerville on 17. From there? North to I-80 or over to US50 via 56/319/US93.

Goblin Valley requires a side trip up 95 to where it heads north as 24. You'd need to see a map for that.

While you can hit all the parks in one day, why? It is worthwhile to stop and ramble, most of the best stuff is a hike or so in. Camp in Kodachrome Basin, out of Cannonville, before you get to Bryce. Actually, there's tons of camping in that region.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Tue May 22, 2007 3:04 pm

No, No, No - everyone has it wrong - take a northerly route, that time of year is to Hot, Hot, Hot to deal with the desert.

Leave BM, go to lake Tahoe, and if you have the time, go to San Francisco by all means.
Then:
Drive north through Redwoods and check out the biggest trees to infest our planet.
Then follow the coast up through central Oregon, and along the washington coast (stop in Port Angeles and say hi)

go to Seattle, hit I-90 and go through Idaho, Montana, Alberta, the midwest, and cross the great lakes from there you know where you are.

Thats how I'd go. Too hot in the south too enjoy in August, September.

my 2 cents anyways.

later
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Tue May 22, 2007 3:13 pm

Wimp. All that humidity has made you soft and squishy.

Return to “Open Discussion”