Don`t Pump Gas on May 15th !

All things outside of Burning Man.
AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue May 15, 2007 7:52 am

EvilDustBooger wrote: ... steaming black slacks.
That's hot.

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue May 15, 2007 7:53 am

EspressoDude wrote:If ya can't beat em, join em.

Take the money you would spend on transportation for one year, use that to buy EXXON stocks.

The dividends will pay for most of your fuel costs.

\/
Fuck your honest shit..We don't need you logic truths..

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Tue May 15, 2007 12:22 pm

AntiM wrote:
EvilDustBooger wrote: ... steaming black slacks.
That's hot.
...you should have seen me in that little black dress before the burn :D

Well, I jumped into the Jeep this morning, fired it up
....and moved it over about 2 feet in the driveway so I could get around it easier on my bike.

So far so good. The weather is fabulous right now for bicycling, although I just dodged a little rainstorm coming back from lunch.

...so far this week: no fill up at the station; and only enough gasoline consumption to move my jeep over.
And I`m putting in some miles on the bike...yesterday my son and I put in a few miles to lunch and back , and last night I peddled about 6 miles across town to a dinner party and then back again... , then to work and out to lunch again today. Tonight I`m going to wally-world and picking up a dvd player for my mom. I doubt the basket is big enough to fully contain a dvd player in a box, so I will get to test my bungy skills and strap it on on top of a few groceries I plan to pick up on the trip.
This is going pretty well for me though I don`t see any change in lines at gas stations I`ve passed, ...and if I get drenched in a rainstorm it might not be too pleasant...but so far, the black slacks remain dry and cozy.
It felt wonderful last night cruising downhill through a quiet neighborhood with the cool fresh air blowing on my face...kinda like a kid again.
this bicycling thing may catch on.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Tue May 15, 2007 4:33 pm

I love riding my bicycle too. I'm cutting out one day during the work week as car free day and just work in the office. I don't live in town at this time while I've relocated to the east coast.

But I love riding my bike!!!!

AIIZ

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Tue May 15, 2007 4:43 pm

The van has been parked sence last Thur.. Nice weather to ride the personal transporter @ 1-2¢ a day.. The van will have to work in the morning.. Have to pick up a load of lumber..

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Tue May 15, 2007 4:52 pm

Damn!

I forgot I wasn't supposed to buy Gas today. :?

Well I didn't need to anyway Cause I filed it up on Sunday. :lol:
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

karine

Post by karine » Tue May 15, 2007 5:55 pm

Ha! I did NOT buy gas today...
but that is beacause it was over $3 a gallon, and the sticker shock got me.

Rocket75377

Post by Rocket75377 » Tue May 15, 2007 9:39 pm

3.09 to 3.49 in an afternoon in sunny [thunderstormy] michigan. But I did not buy gas, unless you count butane...
I am the people your parents warned you about.

"How would Horatio Alger have handled this?"

karine

Post by karine » Tue May 15, 2007 9:44 pm

40 cent leap? today? dang.

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Wed May 16, 2007 3:57 am

...this boycott proposal is the same as if all the addicts banded together to lower drug prices by not buying any on one day....

...but who really can do without their drug?

(for the record I didn't buy gas yesterday, or the day before, and I won't need to for another week or so at least, but not because of this silly boycott)
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Wed May 16, 2007 9:06 pm

I got a better idea. Don't buy Citgo gas. Anytime! This might help put hugo chavez out of commision. 7-11 has agreed not to renew contracts.

pyke

Post by pyke » Tue May 22, 2007 1:29 pm

diane o'thirst wrote: However...I will say you <i>were</i> talking straight out your asshole. Cynicism fixes <b>nothing</b>. Trucks are good but they're not very secure, and the tailgates as stock create drag which affects mileage, too. You have to fix that via aftermarket products; (often) flimsy canopies and vented tailgates, which cost money. Quite a bit of money.
That tailgate part is wrong, wrong, wrong!! This is a line fed to us by SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association) members trying to sell us costly, but worthless, aftermarket goodies. Those flimsy tailgates and whatnot are about as effective at improving mileage as wrapping your tires in waxed paper or adding color coordinated windshield wiper covers. It was empirically tested on Mythbusters (episode 43) by both a driving test and a flow model test. Adding a tonneau cover (another costly aftermarket add-on) will similarly not improve your mileage, but will make your pickup bed a little more secure.

For the record, I drive a full-size, 4 cylinder station wagon (gets about 34 mpg highway) and a hybrid hatchback (with almost as much room as my wagon and an average of 55 mpg).

By the way, a station wagon with a pair of Yakima roof racks will easily haul many sheets of 4x8 plywood home from the store. You'll be hard pressed to find a SUV that can do that. At the very least, with an SUV, you'll need a ladder and at least one other person to load and unload them. Not to mention that you'll add that much more weight on top of an already unweildy vehicle.

And as long as I'm ranting, why the hell hasn't someone made a hybrid minivan? Toyota and Honda are still selling as many minivans as they can build. And they both have a few hybrid choices. But no minivans? WTF???

pyke -out.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Tue May 22, 2007 4:04 pm

Boy D-O-T, you called that one right .. Us good ole boys have been saving gas for years with the gate down.. Just that simple.. There are a couple of cars rated at 55mpg but none have gotten any where near that.. Unless ou turn it off and coast the last few yards to a stop and some other shit like that..

pyke

Post by pyke » Wed May 23, 2007 7:53 pm

There are a couple of cars rated at 55mpg but none have gotten any where near that.. Unless ou turn it off and coast the last few yards to a stop and some other shit like that..
The car is rated for something like 51 highway and 60 city.

55 mpg is my current rolling average over the past 3 months. I drive about 200 miles per week, primarily highway with some start/stop stuff at the ends. I only fill up about every three weeks unless we do a little extra driving over the weekend. My last fill up was 9.8 gallons with a total driving distance of 561 miles. I drive the car just like every other car on the road, only I don't go 85 mph on the freeway. I turn on the cruise control, set it for 60, kick back and relax. It may take an extra 5 minutes to get to work, but it's a whole lot less stressful.

As they say though, YMMV. It's a Prius, by the way.

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Mon May 28, 2007 12:17 am

In response to diane o 'thirst comments on biofuels: In the Sunday May 13, 2007 issue of the Nevada Appeal newspaper bussiness section, the front page article was about an entrepreneur in Wabuska, NV (north of Yerrington) who has a way to make biodiesel from algae. He has an algae farm here in the desert. If you can link onto that article, you and others might find it of interest. I kept the aricle for my own interest.

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Mon May 28, 2007 5:03 am

I've heard about biodiesel from algae before. I believe that the major problem at this point is scaling up the growing of the algae. Algae is a hopeful source for future biodiesel.

As far as buying from Citgo goes, I tend to try to buy from them because I like Chavez better than the rulers of a lot of the Mid-East nations. The money going to the mid-East might wind up funding terrorists, whereas the money going to Venezuela funds Chavez taking potshots at George W. Bush. Bush needs to be insulted more than terrorists need to be funded.

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Return to “Open Discussion”