Where to set up camp?

All things outside of Burning Man.
Sync

Where to set up camp?

Post by Sync » Tue May 08, 2007 11:34 am

I could use some advice from more experienced burners about where to try to set up camp. The map isn’t labeled well, so I’m a little confused about which areas are open for the general population. I gather that the dark blue areas are reserved for theme camps and support services. Last time I went, there also seemed to be many areas sectioned off with yellow tape that were empty but seemed would have been good areas. Are placements made for non-theme camps?

Assuming I’m somewhere in the 12:01 rush somewhere (haven’t found a camp to join yet), what are your recommendations on where to head for and why? Also, if setting up shade for a tent, what direction is the sun crossing the sky, where is the least dust, quiet vs noise, most fun for adults, ect, ect. Thanks.

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Tue May 08, 2007 11:39 am

Typically the areas along the Esplanade, the 3 and 9 oclock plazas and the 4:30 and 7:30 keyholes are reserved for theme camps. Everywhere else is open season. Where you camp depends on how many other people you want around you. Stick close to the first few streets and the middle of the city for high density. Moving farther out and away from 6:00 in either direction generally means there will be fewer people.

The sun rises in the east and sets in the west, just like everywhere else. The north/south axis of the city runs along the 4:30 street.
It's going to be alright.

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Tue May 08, 2007 12:30 pm

I recommend camping as close to the porta potties as possible. In fact, last year, my tent not only abutted the last potty on the row but encapsulated it so all I had to do was roll out of bed and walk right in without having to leave my tent. I cannot stress how convenient it is to have your own private facilities at Burning Man. The sound of the constantly slamming doors throughout the wee hours of the morning provided a really cool counterpoint to the thudding bass from the camp down the street. Also grey water disposal was easy-peasy with the loo being right there.

It was a really great way to meet new people.

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Tue May 08, 2007 4:51 pm

Though next to the potties is a bad idea, near and up wind of them is nice. You'll notice a nice open circle around the potties because no one wants to camp that close.

The stuff people say here can be helpful, but it's not something you'll have to worry about. Once you're in you can ask people and they'll point you in the right direction. Down by 2:00 on the outer rim will probably be one of the quietest areas. I know hushville is in that area and I think they make room for people they don't yet know. Near 10:00 and the esplanade things will be louder. But wherever you camp it'll be loud.

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Tue May 08, 2007 5:32 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote: Also grey water disposal was easy-peasy with the loo being right there.
It is NOT ok to dump your grey water into the porta-potties!!!

Read the Survival Guide again.

BAS

Post by BAS » Tue May 08, 2007 5:48 pm

Last time I went, there also seemed to be many areas sectioned off with yellow tape that were empty but seemed would have been good areas.

To be honest, all the areas marked off with yellow tape annoyed me. Are the markings supposed to be for theme camps? I think it would be nice if someone put up some kind of explanation as to why the areas are marked off.... :?

B. (kind of in a bad mood, due to being in pain.)
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Tue May 08, 2007 6:22 pm

[quote="robbidobbs"]

It is NOT ok to dump your grey water into the porta-potties!!!quote]

Evertime i read your posts about the poopers Robbidobs and your mission to keep them tip-top shape I wonder what your motivation is? dont get me wrong - i find it owesome that someone is doing it, just wonder ehy the passion with the poo?
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Tue May 08, 2007 7:27 pm

Because she's the chief Poopervisor of the Pottie project. It's a dirty, laborious, thankless, and sisyphan job, but somebody's got to do it.

Additionally, I suspect that teo del fuego was deliberately giving spectacularly bad advice, but a newcomer could have misinterpreted it as serious, or failed to apply the bizarro protocol to the ENTIRE text.

Also, camping in Hushville is by pre-registration only. Registration is open to anyone (at Hushville.com), but is strictly required ahead of time.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

MikeVDS
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Tue May 08, 2007 8:51 pm

Additionally, I suspect that teo del fuego was deliberately giving spectacularly bad advice
I suspect the same, which is why I didn't say anything.

Wind_Borne

Post by Wind_Borne » Wed May 09, 2007 9:38 am

BAS wrote:
Last time I went, there also seemed to be many areas sectioned off with yellow tape that were empty but seemed would have been good areas.

To be honest, all the areas marked off with yellow tape annoyed me. Are the markings supposed to be for theme camps? I think it would be nice if someone put up some kind of explanation as to why the areas are marked off.... :?

Last year most of the areas marked off by yellow tape were not theme camps, but individual land grabs. I arrived on Monday morning, and already many people had sectioned off parcels with the excuse that they had friends arriving later. We eventually found a spot next to a camp of Burners who got the whole community/sharing thing. Most of those land grabs never did fill in with tents. People were just being selfish.

Land Grabs Go Against the Burner Ethos!
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
-- George Washington

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Wed May 09, 2007 10:10 am

robbidobbs wrote:It is NOT ok to dump your grey water into the porta-potties
Relax, Robbie. I make sure to urinate in the grey water before dumping it in the loos!

And, yes, I was jes kiddin' I get real bored at work and try to humor myself. I thought maybe someone would pick up on the foolishness and run with it, but I realize that I have less than 3000 posts and....oh forget it.

Archantael

Post by Archantael » Wed May 09, 2007 11:23 am

Not to be mean but what part of "If it didn't come from your body, don't put it in the potty" is not understood here? It's not just what's in the potty it's how much is in there too.

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Wed May 09, 2007 12:14 pm

Just for the record Teo, I knew you were making a ha-ha. Good one.
I'll bet Robbie knew too. But as we all know, there's lots of first-timers out there, and probably a few who didn't pick up on the ha-ha, so she set 'em straight just to make sure.

No blood, no foul.

Pass the one-ply.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed May 09, 2007 3:46 pm

Go to the first naked man you see and do what he tells you to do.

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Wed May 09, 2007 5:58 pm

mdmf007 wrote:Evertime i read your posts about the poopers Robbidobs and your mission to keep them tip-top shape I wonder what your motivation is? dont get me wrong - i find it owesome that someone is doing it, just wonder ehy the passion with the poo?
Because the horrible fact of bad behavior threatens the existance of the BM project. We've been threatened with permanent close-down on several occasions since 2000. It's a real problem, and I volunteered to help.

For more info, read All about participating in the pottie project thread.

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Wed May 09, 2007 6:43 pm

Thank you for your passion, I volunteer with ESD and know know how fragile the BM permit is as well.

Hope to see you on playa - 108 days.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Thu May 10, 2007 11:57 am

Archantael wrote:Not to be mean but what part of "If it didn't come from your body, don't put it in the potty" is not understood here? It's not just what's in the potty it's how much is in there too.
Again, just kidding. I did not camp near, nor encapsulate, any porta loo in my tent last year. I never have dumped anything in the porta potties other than my own excrement and the provided paper.

For all you newbies: Fait attention! E-playa is your source for some good information and some good bullshit. Being able to distinguish between the two is a healthy skill not just for Burning Man but for life as an adult in general. Your Survival Guide is the definitive source for what you need to know. Read it more than five times! Print it out and keep it next to your own personal potty and read it whenever nature calls.

On all issues concerning porta potties, also referred to here as JOTS (for Johnny on the Spot), rest assured that the beautifully tressed Robbie Dobbs would never shit you!

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Thu May 10, 2007 12:41 pm

ImagePooPooPeeDoo !

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Thu May 10, 2007 12:54 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:For all you newbies: Fait attention! E-playa is your source for some good information and some good bullshit. Being able to distinguish between the two is a healthy skill not just for Burning Man but for life as an adult in general. Your Survival Guide is the definitive source for what you need to know. Read it more than five times! Print it out and keep it next to your own personal potty and read it whenever nature calls.

On all issues concerning porta potties, also referred to here as JOTS (for Johnny on the Spot), rest assured that the beautifully tressed Robbie Dobbs would never shit you!
I'm peering over the top of my reading glasses and looking in your direction as I say "Excellent, Mr. Fuego! Someone's getting a gold star today!"

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Thu May 10, 2007 1:29 pm

Sensei wrote:I'm peeing over the top of my reading glasses and looking in your direction as I say "Excellent, Mr. Fuego! Someone's getting a gold star today!"
We agree wholeheartedly - this puts the "go" in "Fuego". )giggles(

bb

BAS

Post by BAS » Thu May 10, 2007 5:14 pm

Wind_Borne wrote:
BAS wrote:

Last year most of the areas marked off by yellow tape were not theme camps, but individual land grabs. I arrived on Monday morning, and already many people had sectioned off parcels with the excuse that they had friends arriving later. We eventually found a spot next to a camp of Burners who got the whole community/sharing thing. Most of those land grabs never did fill in with tents. People were just being selfish.

Land Grabs Go Against the Burner Ethos!

That's what I suspected. I almost gave in to the urge to park right in the middle of one of the marked off areas, but figured a fight really wasn't the way to start off the week. (Monday morning I was burned out from the drive, and seeing about 99% of Black Rock City marked off as "reserved" did NOT put me in a good mood!)

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Rabbi Dali Rick

....... WARNING: Universe May Change Without Notice!! ......

Post by Rabbi Dali Rick » Thu May 10, 2007 8:19 pm

>>>>> CLICK HERE <<<<<<

A Movie is worth a billion pictures. Here is a little taste of what you have to look forward too.

Return to “Open Discussion”