Coal power on the playa?!

All things outside of Burning Man.
Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Coal power on the playa?!

Post by Thecatman » Sat May 26, 2007 12:56 pm

Just curious if anybody heard anything new about the proposed coal power plant that some :evil: california company wants to build on the playa?! I live about 2 plus hours south of the playa and havent heard anything from the local media in almost a year.

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Sat May 26, 2007 1:02 pm

I've never heard of that. Links to any older articles?

Thecatman

Post by Thecatman » Sat May 26, 2007 1:19 pm

About two years ago the local newspapers in Carson City and Reno, as well as the local tv/radio news told that a coal power plant is "proposed" for the Black Rock Desert. Several months ago the BM web site told their neutrual position about it and have'nt heard anything from the media regarding it.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sat May 26, 2007 1:30 pm

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Thecatman

Post by Thecatman » Sun May 27, 2007 11:55 pm

Great! Sempra has backed out but the threat is still there. Thanks bob for posting those sites. Anybody who is for or against that power plant or if you don't care either way, might want to look at those sites.

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Mon May 28, 2007 12:55 am

So everyone who favors, opposes, or is disinterested in the plans might want to look at those sites? Do you think you could possibly compose a sentence any less meaningful?

Are we done with this now (again)?
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Mon May 28, 2007 5:10 am

I heard that the Center Camp Cafe uses coal power plants (or something bad like that...) - or maybe it was child labor. But definately bad. And the coffee isn't that good either....what were we talking about?
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Mon May 28, 2007 5:15 am

dragonfly Jafe wrote:I heard that the Center Camp Cafe uses coal power plants (or something bad like that...) - or maybe it was child labor. But definately bad. And the coffee isn't that good either....what were we talking about?
I thought that they use children to shovel the coal into the Center Camp Cafe power plant? Isn't that what Kidsville is all about? Kids on treadmills to grind the wheat for bread, shoveling coal, pulling carts, doing the heavy lifting, ... er, kids are an alternative energy source, aren't they? :oops:

B. (in need of caffeine or something to jumpstart his brain this morning.)
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Mon May 28, 2007 8:03 am

FYI

Coal is naturally radioactive. Also has trace elemrnts of Mercury. The smoke from burning coal deposits this all over the countryside. So you end up with contaminated lands and water systems Instead of having it buried and containded in its natural form (coal). If the proposal comes up again it should be fought.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon May 28, 2007 9:03 am

acid rain...

on a sidenote: Living in East Kentucky, everything was a constant state of grey from the coal dust. And the creeks used to run black every Friday afternoon by our house from the coal companies upstream dumping their sludge.

When the local athorities were approach they said they would "look into it"

Still ran black every Friday.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Mon May 28, 2007 12:24 pm

Box Burner wrote:FYI

Coal is naturally radioactive. Also has trace elemrnts of Mercury. The smoke from burning coal deposits this all over the countryside. So you end up with contaminated lands and water systems Instead of having it buried and containded in its natural form (coal). If the proposal comes up again it should be fought.
...but the coffee filters make it OK, right?
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Tue May 29, 2007 5:08 pm

Okay, so coal is bad. So we build wind power plants. Eco-activists go crazy (what about the birds!?). So we build dams for hydroelectric, and they go nuts (what about the fish!?). So we build nuclear power plants, and they go ballistic (what about the cheeldren?!). But turn off their power, and they go totally batshit (how am I supposed to charge my electric car and my iPod?!).

Guess we'll just have to make a giant solar Dyson Sphere.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

Thecatman

Post by Thecatman » Wed May 30, 2007 8:40 pm

Make what you want. We Nevadans don't want a californaia company building a coal power plant in our state where all the power will go to california. I guess you would'nt mind railroad tracks cutting accross the playa, would you! Thats how the coal will be delivered. Theres a company in Minnesota thats making electricity from turkey shit. True story. Sunday May 27, 2007 Nevada Appeal bussiness section page D3. www.nevadaappeal.com

geekster

Post by geekster » Thu May 31, 2007 2:17 pm

A little coal stove probably isn't a bad source of warmth and likely less environmentally impacting than many "green" sources. You can mitigate the carbon from the coal by sending an equal weight of paper to the landfill rather than recycling it. 10 lbs of carbon taken out of the ground and burned is then absorbed by a tree, turned into paper and returned to the ground again.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:37 am

Republicans are fighting the reneweble energy bill moving thought congress saying that doing NOTHING will create more projects then doing nothing.

And putting your head in sand will make our energy needs to disappear. These republicans represent big oil and coal companies in their region?

I have only on Republican in my state and I'm telling him to sign the bill as it is without the Big Oil influences.

Please tell yours the same.

AIIZ

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:00 am

The Park Feds in yesterdays news.

Want to stop a wind farm. This farm will be within 5miles of a hikeing trail. It would spoil the hikers view.

wtf?

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:08 am

unjonharley wrote:The Park Feds in yesterdays news.

Want to stop a wind farm. This farm will be within 5miles of a hikeing trail. It would spoil the hikers view.

wtf?
Well its part of their job to protect park resources and the view shed is part of it.

What park was it?

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:18 am

We are talking about seeing 5 miles in the wilderness.

The Columbia Gorge boarding Or. Wa. state. That which we run the natives out and spoiled anything that was.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:07 pm

I just drove through the gorge twice in daylight hours and I must say that I love the windmills. They are fantastic works of art and provide power. What more could you want. Furthermore they demonstrate the awesomeness of the gorge. The windmills size is dwarfed by the surrounding geologic features. Bring em on I say!
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:47 am

Sometimes a view shed takes precident. Sometimes it doesn't.

If this was one of premier national parks, it would be a no go project when other wind production sites are available for the profit of a land owner.

AIIZ

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:11 am

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:Republicans are fighting the reneweble energy bill moving thought congress saying that doing NOTHING will create more projects then doing nothing.

And putting your head in sand will make our energy needs to disappear. These republicans represent big oil and coal companies in their region?

I have only on Republican in my state and I'm telling him to sign the bill as it is without the Big Oil influences.

Please tell yours the same.

AIIZ
This project died a few yers ago.
Why didn't you start a new thread then drag this one up?

Return to “Open Discussion”