TATTOO ANTHROPOLOGIST TO BURN WITH DISCOVERY CHANNEL?

All things outside of Burning Man.
Discoveryhalfyard

TATTOO ANTHROPOLOGIST TO BURN WITH DISCOVERY CHANNEL?

Post by Discoveryhalfyard » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:11 pm

The camera crew cringed as they watched the razorblade sink deep into his chest. Filming the blade advance toward Lars’ stomach, the Director couldn’t help but wonder whether the footage would be too graphic for the Discovery Channel’s audience to handle. With ample blood discharging from each new slice of flesh, Lars Krutak laid in absolute agony. Many men simply can’t bear the torture of this ceremony; in fact, several have died trying. But despite the pain, an overwhelming sense of honor and pride engulfed Lars’ soul. He was the first “outsiderâ€

uBeRpLaYa

Post by uBeRpLaYa » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:22 pm

uH oH. aRe wE gOiNg tO hAvE a dIsCoVeRy ChAnNeL bOoTh nExT tO tHe oNe fRoM GoOgLe?

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:26 pm

I wonder if this has been vetted by the Media Team?

Seems like yet another example of a commercial network vicariously leeching on the energy of participants (and the event) for a quick, commercialized 'documentary.'

I mean, Cheesus Christ this is lame. Honestly, who gives a damn about Lars and his Discovery Channel exploits? The only way this shit hole of a TV idea could ever keep my attention is if it were Lars Ulrich getting a two foot Bowie knife plunged into his chest while the natives stood around playing bootleg Metallica CDs.

uBeRpLaYa

Post by uBeRpLaYa » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:43 pm

mAyBe i WiLL bRiNg tEmPoRaRy tAtToOs wItH tHe nAmE oF mY eMpLoYeR fOr gIfTiNg.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:53 pm

What's the problem? Somebody's doing another media piece on Burning Man. Big deal.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:07 pm

Is my calender wrong? Someone please tell me it's April 1st.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:08 pm

Alternatively,

Hey Clem! Thar's some yahoo out chere who wants a gander at that there brandin' iron. yeeehaw!

uBeRpLaYa

Post by uBeRpLaYa » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:22 pm

i aM wOnDeRiNg iF hE gEtS a tAt oF tHe mAn, iSn'T tHaT a tRaDeMaRk?

Bin Noddin

Post by Bin Noddin » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:57 pm

Has he tried Chinese, Indian or Turkish eunuch culture?
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:28 pm

If it's bait, it's pretty tasty. It would take a pretty creative mind to come up with this just to hoax it.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

pbmaniac2000

Re: TATTOO ANTHROPOLOGIST TO BURN WITH DISCOVERY CHANNEL?

Post by pbmaniac2000 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:39 pm

Discoveryhalfyard wrote: Lars hopes to fully inject himself into the vibrant culture of burners, where he will search for yet another ritualistic mark of his culturally accepting identity.
That has got to be the single dumbest statement i have ever heard. Hope to fully inject himself into the vibrant culture of burners. What a load of s***.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:48 pm

Ideally, if the Playa Gods are smiling - Lars will get to injected himself with a vibrant load there at Jiffy Lube.

FabFascist

Re: TATTOO ANTHROPOLOGIST TO BURN WITH DISCOVERY CHANNEL?

Post by FabFascist » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:02 pm

pbmaniac2000 wrote:
Discoveryhalfyard wrote: Lars hopes to fully inject himself into the vibrant culture of burners, where he will search for yet another ritualistic mark of his culturally accepting identity.
That has got to be the single dumbest statement i have ever heard. Hope to fully inject himself into the vibrant culture of burners. What a load of s***.
No shit! What does that mean???

"Yeah, I have a response to that... Huh???" - Caveman

Ya think he is up to being tied to the man and receiving the ritualistic mark of immolation? :P

The more I think about it... it pisses me off... "ritualistic mark of HIS CULTURALLY ACCEPTING IDENTITY" What the hell is that?

I think of this idiot lurking around in the dark and jumping into shit to prove something.... Is everybody up for helping this walking schlong improving his CULTURALLY ACCEPTING IDENTITY??

<sarcasm>
Let us all bow down and humble ourselves before his magnanimity!!
</sarcasm>

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:16 am

The camera crew cringed as they watched the razorblade sink deep into his chest. Filming the blade advance toward Lars’ stomach, the Director couldn’t help but wonder whether the footage would be too graphic for the Discovery Channel’s audience to handle.
Oi, the whole thing reads like a bad promo from the on-air boys. Is that Danny Dark doing the VO?? Does this nimrod really expect us to swoon in his presence and bask in the glory of his being???? *puke* Go find somewhere else to sell your trite excuse for programming, please. WTF is going on????
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:09 am

To Lars and his crew. Do a little reading, see what the event is about. I'm more than happy to chat with him and spend time with him (on or off camera) in an off-playa setting.

If he's about following the rituals and understanding the culture from an anthropological standpoint, then the cameras won't be necessary. If he's just another fuckwad with a camera crew, then he won't be able to function without having his crew rolling tape. He is his own measure of quality.

~Trilo~

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:20 am

Trepanation?
Dance dance immolation without a suit?
I have few copper branding irons for cattle.
The middle eastern rite of toyo tai chi, involving crashing into something in a burning vehicle?

Perhaps the only way to light the man this year?
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

Flammepus

Post by Flammepus » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:59 am

So a tattoo collecting anthropologist wants to come to Burningman to inject himself into the culture? Wow...he must be, like, the very first social scientist to ever think of that. Still, I like the idea that he wants to come to get a permanent Burningman sticker to go with the other ones. I salute his unique quest for highly individualized "branding" (used in the non-ironic, marketing sense)...I wonder if he is also an Elk, a Rotarian, a member of the IOOF, a member of one of the many vertibrate carnivore lodges? Man, I can't even imagine what its like to get jumped into the Rotarians.

My advice is: sure, come on out and meet some people. There is always someone out there who desperately wants to talk about their tattoo, so you probably won't have that hard of a time meeting people. But, LEAVE THE CAMERA CREW AT HOME your first year and save yourself the mortification of looking like a huge tattooed media-whore, asshole, parasite to the participants. Once you have a clue, next year or the year after, you can come back with a camera crew who you have trained to behave...better yet, you could recruit a camera crew from the BM community. You might stand a chance of getting some decent material...or of being given the opportunity to see the secret burningman tattoo that all *trueburners* (tm) have somewhere on their body...

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:03 am

Oh wow.

We get to burn an idiot child using some BS about researching Tattoos to get a granted ticket to snoop in with the Discovery yahoos? Kewl! Lets do it at the Pavillion!

ARRGHHH!

Why is it EVERYONE has to come do their "Real life TV" bulls**t on "Those freaks at this Burning Man thing", generating more intrest and desire for those corporations wanting to build their ad pavillions and kiosks on the playa making us not only a fraking commodity but a tourist destination???

Tourism. Wait a minute. Let's promote some intrest!!!

OK, I can see it. Center Camp becomes known as the Green Zone. All of us out here in the hinterlands become... Car-balla, Raw Muddy, and Dust-hur. They're embedding these Reporters with their staph, taking them places in their Golf-Vees and Bradley Mutant Vehicles. Heck - we even have Rangers patrolling our streets!!! )giggles( Maybe we can get the washington mucks to do surprise, unannounced visits to the city...

I *love* this place!

Flammepus

Post by Flammepus » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:25 am

OK, if someone is coming to do a documentary on the evolving tensions between the sects at burning man and the occupying forces, I am ready to sign up for my interview!

I mean, if they want the perspective of a Queerorist Normicide Love Bomber, that is something completely different. Our Al-Queera cell has been planning our Burningman Operation meticulously. We are dedicated and will not rest until Complete Gender Anarchy has been established! We have issued a fat-WHAAAAAAAAAAH that says as much...I mean like a WHAAAAAAAAAAHOO! whah. You just can't fight that; our agenda will triumph!

___
*pithy quote*

Discoveryhalfyard

Wake Up Call

Post by Discoveryhalfyard » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:09 am

Wow, first of all, I’d like to point out that my last post was cut & pasted from a press release, so all of you who might think I’m bombastic, think twice. Secondly and most importantly, I am totally shocked by most of your responses. I came to this blog expecting a culture of accepting, open-minded individuals – what I’ve understood the aura Burning Man to represent. But instead, I’ve been bombarded with an array of ridiculous attacks from bloggers so eager to criticize, belittle, and shut down a creative idea that it makes me question what Burning Man is all about. But my clear perception remains – I have many friends who’ve been to Burning Man and I know that you hostile bloggers don’t speak for all burners with your war-mongering words. So to address your issues…

Isotopia, my close-minded friend,
Your lack of knowledge is quite entertaining. But let me fill a small piece of your ignorance with some information that you obviously don’t know. For over two decades, VAST audiences of open-minded, information-seeking intellectuals have come to the Discovery Channel to satisfy their curiosities about remote sections of the world, cultures, nature, science….the list goes on. While I agree with you that an informative, educational program probably couldn’t keep your short attention span for more than a minute or so before you inevitably zone out, the rest of the world is on a different level. So to answer your question, “who gives a damn?â€

Aiee! It burns!

Post by Aiee! It burns! » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:46 am

All righty then, would someone please remind me WTF is a tattoo anthropologist?

If I remember my training at Miskatonic University, anthropology is a science, and requires objectivity for useful data.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:49 am

DHY, it's just a dusty camping trip. Culture? Rituals? Reading way too much into it.

Eplaya is NOT Burning Man, not by a long, long shot. People often confuse the two, but rest assured, these are not mere bloggers, these are seasoned burners for the most part. They tend to be direct with their criticisms. Take it as a compliment. Most of us would happily share a beer in the dust with you, but mince no words in the virtual world. Of course, I shouldn't speak for the others on this board, they're all competently eloquent.

Personally, I have no beef with Discovery Channel, I have a beef with Discovery Channel at "my" event. Ah, No Spectators being one of the the ten principles, TV is most certainly a spectator sport, hence TV does not belong out on the playa. If the peoples of the world really, really want to know us, they should buy the ticket and take the ride. That's just my opinion, and I'm not being unkind, simply incredibly annoyed. I do not want the perception of Burning Man broadened to bored audiences, no matter how noble your intentions, thank you very much. You may well get that once you get your boots on the dust. I don't care how many burner friends you have, everything changes in Black Rock.

If you had any clue about our little online sub-culture, you would not be so swift to rush to judgment. Really, things are not as they appear. You must know Iso to love Iso. How about an anthropological look at eplaya culture and rituals? I do believe you're getting a good hard dose of it right now. Read some threads, see what we're about before judging us, oh two post wonder. Talk about close minded! I think you're confusing some of us with the Rainbow Tribe. Not even close. Have you posted this on Tribe yet? You'll get your toes toasted there too.

Lars is thrilled. That's wonderful. Some of us are obviously not thrilled. Hmm? Are we then not allowed to express our opinions any way we please? Why must we conform to some idealistic, unrealistic norm you have cobbled together from your expectations? I object!

Sigh, see what they do? They Just Don't Get It. They Cannot Discern the Good Souls.

Come back after the event and reread this, DHY, see what a difference a week on the playa does for your perspective.

Dork

Re: Wake Up Call

Post by Dork » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:00 am

Discoveryhalfyard wrote:Secondly and most importantly, I am totally shocked by most of your responses. I came to this blog expecting a culture of accepting, open-minded individuals – what I’ve understood the aura Burning Man to represent.
That shows what little you know of Burning Man. People at the event are generally very tolerant towards things like body modification and other unusual modes of self-expression, but very intolerant towards corporations and attempts by the media to take advantage of us. There was quite a bit of controversy the last time a group from Discovery came by. Based on their actions at the event and the show they produced it seemed justified to me. Part of the blowback you're getting is a reaction to that last group.

This board in particular is very anti-commerce and doesn't react well to copied and pasted press releases. If you'd taken the time to hang out a while before posting you might realize that. I nearly deleted your post along with all the other spam, but people had already started responding and I decided to let it go. Also, this is not a blog - it's a message board, aka discussion board.

The name Costco soulmate trading post was making fun of Costco - the company of that name had no direct involvement and in fact I believe even sued them to have them stop using the name.
But instead, I’ve been bombarded with an array of ridiculous attacks from bloggers so eager to criticize, belittle, and shut down a creative idea that it makes me question what Burning Man is all about.
That's great! You should be questioning what Burning Man is all about, if you have any interest in anthropology or "broadening the scope" of understanding, you should at least know your subject matter before you come to your conclusions. It's the LACK of creativity expressed in your posts that concerns us. You have a narrow focus on this particular ritual and assume that because we're a bunch of freaks that we must be doing it too. Maybe some of us are. I knew a guy in Montana who was into that stuff, but you aren't focussing on Montana are you?

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:06 am

Crikey, pull the sticks out of your asses.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:17 am

Well first off, Jim, if you guys had done any research on Burning Man, you would have discovered that many of the attendees are folks just like yourself: people who work in various production positions in the entertainment field: actors, producers, technical people, people who have careers based around the ravenous hunger of the all consuming public for whom many of us hold a fairly large amount of contempt. John Q. Public is, by and large, an idiot. Burning Man culture isn't an anthropomorphic dig site full of strange aboriginal tribes performing unusual coming of age rites. Strange, yes, Wonderful, yes. But the rituals are ones we have contrived and created over a brief time in the overall scheme of things (21 years). What you experienced here in this forum should have been fairly predictable if you had any idea of the type of place you were dropping your carefully worded press hype piece in.

In the past few years, the community has been seeing more and more media exposure, most of it inaccurate and sensationalized in order to attract a broader audience. You posted your hype into a board used for Q & A; typically questions relating to need to know items like, are there porta-potties and why can't I throw my baby wipes in them? I hardly consider the arrival of your talent and accompanying camera crews on playa a "need to know" item. You would have been far better served to just arrive and scope the place out (with media team approval of course) and set up shop like any other camp. Then pursue your goal of fascinating television programming at the expense of the other 40,000 unwitting (and perhaps unwilling) stars on the playa.

I will be quick to point out that Discovery does create some of the finest television programming on the air. Planet Earth is a masterpiece, for example. However, to lay claim that everything Discovery puts on is of the highest caliber of programming would be arrogance of the highest degree. Somewhat like your personal attacking reply on here. People attend BM to escape from the everyday default world, including Discovery Networks and all other media hype. Perhaps you are unaware of the turmoil currently being generated by the inclusion on playa of some corporate backed exhibitions of green technology. Many see this as a total in your face of what they are out there to escape from. You dropped a whole tuna into a shark tank, walked away, and came back to find a shredded skeleton. It was such an easy target, and so indicative of your lack of understanding of our "anthropomorphic" makeup.

You should also be aware of how many people read these boards but do not participate. Your little vitriolic attack is doing nothing to gain you any credibility in the Burner Community. And if its flames you are welcoming in response, I guarantee you will get them.

It's one thing to come to Burning Man like most of us: wanting and needing to be removed from the default world for a brief time and create your own environment in a place that is challenging and anything but hospitable. It's another to want to attend for purely commercial reasons. You cannot deny that the main reason for your team's attendance is to create a television program that will attract viewers and thus ad revenue. I am sure that for the most part you folks are all looking forward to experiencing life on the playa. You should be! But sadly, you are bringing your defaultia with you, and that is not what this is all about, at all.

I do not speak for the community, this is my personal take on this issue, and an attempt to give you a better sense of what prompted my kneejerk reaction when I read your post last night.
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

Archantael

Post by Archantael » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:38 am

Can someone give the guy a clue? Seriously?

1: It's a BBS: Bulletin Board Service, not a blog.

2: 10 Principles of the event: Decommodification
>>In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience.<<

What you are seeing here is true resistance. What you are trying to do is produce video for mass consumption and generate revenue off the hard work of the 40,000 participants and spectators of Burning Man, and you expect us to sit here and be happy about it just because it's the Discovery Channel behind it? Fat chance, it ain't gonna happen. We are not going to be the subjects of your armchair voyeur porn for the masses.

You can spin this any way you want...the fact is Discovery's backing it, Discovery's providing the cameras, and they wouldn't do so just for the artistic merit of a project. It's all about $$$$. And no amount of intellectual spin is going to save your derriere...it's commerce, and it sucks. May the board roast you...you deserve nothing less than the hottest flames and vitriol that can be directed your way.

mojo

Post by mojo » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:43 am

AntiM is being the soul of kindness here.

I am just completely amazed at the above rant. It would take me hours to point out everything that is obnoxious about this but here is a small sample:

1) The Discovery Channel may be informative but it sells soap flakes just like any other TV show with the notable exception of public television. It is in business to make money - by selling things to us, not by keeping us informed. It is the height of arrogance to suggest that Discovery Channel should be able to use our art and participation for it's own profit.

2) Yes, it sounded bombastic, but I find it even more so with the admission of plagiarism of some PR material.

3) If this has been vetted by the ORG, I hope they take another look, particularly at these posts. In fact, this is so offensive that it is beginning to smell a bit like a troll.

4) Before you start calling anyone "ignorant", it would be good to be sure your own stuff doesn't stink - the term is "closed-minded", not "close-minded". ISO can speak for me anytime and, in fact, seems to be the voice of many here.

5) If the author thinks that the Costco mention is commerce, what do you suppose would happen if he drove up to Jiffy Lube and asked for the special? Someone needs to whisper in his ear that it's artistic sarcasm. If he indeed sees the words Discovery Channel displayed anywhere at the event, he may not really like the context in which they are being used.

6) So far, you appear to represent exactly the opposite of what I percieve this event to be about. Please regroup, rethink, and come back. We need everyone's input, whether we like it or not.

misfit
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Post by misfit » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:50 am

>>>>This board in particular is very anti-commerce <<<<

this may have been true 10 + years ago when we really did everything possible to erase a default world. now just preperation for the playa is a commerce event. who made your tent, (there's threads on the e-playa on which is the best playa tent, with links), what about your shelter, water, food, hair extensions, clothing. what about the burner friendly bussiness page on the BM web site, is this not commerce.?. my first years we would come out with a sleeping bag, pvc, canvas, and enough homemade stew and pasta for a few days.
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

Dork

Post by Dork » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:59 am

misfit wrote:this may have been true 10 + years ago when we really did everything possible to erase a default world. now just preperation for the playa is a commerce event
True, but direct commerce is highly discouraged. Look at the various glor fur threads over the years for an example. Post a link to some product made by someone else that could be useful to other burners? Generally ok. Try to promote your own product on here? Get a smackdown.

I dunno what things were like 10 years, but I haven't seen any change I would call drastic in the last 6. Fewer people try to cover the logos on their trucks and RVs, I suppose.

misfit
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Post by misfit » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:09 am

Dork, all i can say is its normal evolution. the event has evolved from a small party in the desert, into an event that raises much curiosity on the outside. i guess we could bitch about how great the old days where or embrace the change....
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

Return to “Open Discussion”