it was a joke son. i say it was a joke. "foghorn leghorn"

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:59 pm

unjonharley wrote:wow. cops,tv..

:lol:

I kind of figured it was but with some of the other replies so far... well... ya know.

Rabbi Dali Rick

...... Evil Monkeys Made Me Do It! ........

Post by Rabbi Dali Rick » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:00 pm

CapSmashy wrote:
unjonharley wrote:the police watch tv.. tv writers dictate what police should look for and how they should react..
Interesting.

So police should only become interested in a device as a potential bomb when it consists of a custom fabricated chrome housing, large red LED displaying the timer countdown, "bricks" of US Military C-4 that are clearly labeled as such or sticks of "red" dynamite and a detonator that contains at least one (if not the sole feature) large red button for activating the bomb.

Exactly....

any other questions?

the rebbi

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:13 pm

unjonharley wrote:wow. cops,tv..

*fishy turns beet red and swims away chagrined.*
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Dork

Post by Dork » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:35 pm

CapSmashy wrote:And, for curiosity sake. What does a bomb need to look like to prompt an alert to security at an airport?
Alert to security and monitoring by camera and in person I have no problem with. Immediate escalation to surrounding someone with a tactical team without first determining whether that is necessary is what I have a problem with.
Um, no. Her acting weird certainly did play a factor but there are other factors involved. Such as a device consisting of wires, a battery and a lump of gray colored clay,
Please cite where you're getting the color of the clay and that it was attached. When I looked at this earlier in the week there was no indication whatsoever that it was attached, no pictures of it, and no description more detailed than play-doh in her hand.
Nothing in what I read concerning witness statements makes any claim to the fact that she was moving about strangely or in a manner even approaching anything on the level of an autistic meltdown.
It was merely an example of one way someone would look suspicious, and an explanation of why I care about this. One of my first thoughts after reading the details of her life and what just happened was that she might be autistic, but of course that's wild speculation.
If, as she claimed, it was her art and she wanted to display it, why did she ignore the query concerning it?
I don't know. We also don't know the manner in which it was asked or ignored. Was it a direct question clearly heard before she chose to walk away, or was it a weak "what's up with the shirt?" as she was hurrying to go find the person she was picking up? As far as displaying it, she said she was wearing it for a job fair. She may not care about what some random airport desk person thought about it. It's an art piece pretty specific to the electronics geek crowd.

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:20 pm

Dork wrote:Alert to security and monitoring by camera and in person I have no problem with. Immediate escalation to surrounding someone with a tactical team without first determining whether that is necessary is what I have a problem with.[/quoe]

Okay, since you won't answer the first question, what determining factors would make it necessary in your book? What does the "bomb" need to look like to make it appear to be a legitimate threat?

I'm still going with textbook response to a potential explosive device at an airport.
Please cite where you're getting the color of the clay and that it was attached. When I looked at this earlier in the week there was no indication whatsoever that it was attached, no pictures of it, and no description more detailed than play-doh in her hand.
All the AP articles have updated. I am reasonably certain that one of the original stories made mention that the putty was attached to the circuit board when she approached the kiosk.

Obviously, I could be mistaken and may have misread it.
It was merely an example of one way someone would look suspicious, and an explanation of why I care about this. One of my first thoughts after reading the details of her life and what just happened was that she might be autistic, but of course that's wild speculation.
And I can totally see that being a potential concern if that is a condition you are prone to. There was the case in Florida in Dec '05 where air marshals did shoot and kill Rigoberto Alpizar after he claimed to have a bomb in his backpack and went to reach inside it. He was reported to have been under mental duress due to being bipolar and off his meds.
I don't know. We also don't know the manner in which it was asked or ignored. Was it a direct question clearly heard before she chose to walk away, or was it a weak "what's up with the shirt?" as she was hurrying to go find the person she was picking up?
It was reportedly a direct question as in What is that? I also saw a remark that according to a local Boston station, she was asked twice and did respond with an answer of "Its art" the second time before walking away.

They did not provide a link.
As far as displaying it, she said she was wearing it for a job fair. She may not care about what some random airport desk person thought about it. It's an art piece pretty specific to the electronics geek crowd.
Which proves that highly intelligent people do not always possess a good level of common sense outside of their circles.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:45 pm

CapSmashy wrote:
All the AP articles have updated. I am reasonably certain that one of the original stories made mention that the putty was attached to the circuit board when she approached the kiosk.
Remember that the first articles about Jerm's suicide said that he hanged there for an hour and a half, because everyone thought it was an "art piece."
CapSmashy wrote:Which proves that highly intelligent people do not always possess a good level of common sense outside of their circles.
Ah, you have met my father.

Come to think of it, he went to MIT.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:44 pm

[img]http://tikifuckos.org/anisign.gif[/img]

Greenltdistrict

Post by Greenltdistrict » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:40 pm

Funny...this yesterday I got into a big "what about his first amendment rights" melee/discussion concerning the Kerry/taser kid and I have to say...the kid completely deserved it!! The basic story is while he was in line (behind other people) Sen. Kerry realized he'd spoken too long and announced that he had to cut short the Q&A session. However, he allowed the guy who was at the mic, to ask one more question (NOT the tased kid).

Upon hearing this, the tased kid jumped the line and went to the podium and interrupted the student designated as the last speaker, stating that Sen. KErry was going to answer HIS question because he had been standing in line for two hours. THIS is the incident that prompted people to start filming when they did. Even though the tased cut the line and interrupted the guy on the mike, Sen. Kerry said that he would answer the guys question. At which point the guy went into his whole "diatribe". If you noticed although he asked a question he never gave the Sen. a chance to answer. This is what I suspect got the cops antsy, his demeanor. He went on for so long that he actually exceeded the 90 seconds alloted for each speaker, at which point he was asked to step off the mike. And as you saw from all the videos he resisted this request with great hostility.

At this point they cut his mic and the cops moved in to remove him. The moment he started wrestling away (they call it resisting arrest and causing a public disturbance where I'm from) he made his first mistake...then... after being dragged up the aisle and pinned faced down by six officers he continued to fight.....I wonder if he had been middle eastern or african american, if he would've got so many chances ....Hell, Rodney king put up less of fight...

So like I said at the party...righteous indignation over this knucklehead is wasted energy...especially when there are so many real and obvious issues that could benefit from the spotlight and passion.

As for the airport girl, it was funny to see what they considerd "a bomb". I imgined that it looked...a little more bomb-y...instead of a broken blinky. But better safe than sorry...and I know this is used to violate our first amendment rights on a regular basis...but it would have been 100x more outrages to find out ,after all the damage from an explosion, that someone saw something strange and didn't speak up. Damned if you do...

RingO'Fire

Post by RingO'Fire » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:27 am

This event (finally) made it into this week's version of News of the Weird. It's about halfway down the page.

http://www.newsoftheweird.com/archive/index.html

Sorry about reviving a thread that had - rightfully so - died of neglect.
...but it seemed like such a good idea at the time...

K-mom

Post by K-mom » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:08 pm

Maybe so ... but while we're on the subject of airports it might be worth bringing this up:
http://www.eastottawa.ca/article-cp4669 ... staff.html
...'cause this guy did die and no one seems to be quite sure why.
I live in Vancouver so this has obviously recieved a fair amount of attention. No idea how much press it received down in California. But regardless I think it says a lot about the supposedly tighter airport security when a man who can't speak English is unaccounted for for several hours in the baggage area. His mother, as I understand, was waiting approximately 30 metres away on the other side of customs .... when she left after 5 or so hours the guy eventually came thru customs, had a temper tantrum, and was tasered to death .... thus also bringing up the whole tasering issue ... but my feeling here is it's the 'international' airport's negligence that should be brought into question. I mean it's not like he spoke some obscure African dialect ... was there really not a single staff/translator on duty who could have made an announcement in Polish paging him?
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:39 am

I think polish is probably obscure enough not to be able to find a translator. After all, English and Spanish seem to be the popular languages in the US. But the tasering is more important to concentrate on. There have been MANY cases of death by taser nationwide. Doctors sayin I don't know does not justify the continued use of such a device. Electricity has been known to kill for quite some time. I have only tasered myself.. its not really fun. I also didn't use a quality taser like law enforcement use. One nice shot with the 100k took me down easily and I didnt need a second hit. It took me a little while to be able to stand, maybe 20-40 seconds or so. It was kinda like being drunk in a way, thew taser seems to affect the nerve signals so you can't use your limbs. I am sure many people have different reactions close to fatal. While I will continue to "train" myself to handle mace and play paintball to get used to the bruising I think I'd bebetter off avoiding taser play. A person has to be VERY careful when they want to voice opposition these days. Having an opinion can get you killed now. Wearing something uncommon can get you branded. People need to wake up and conform. Orwell wrote the book a long time ago.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

K-mom

Post by K-mom » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:37 pm

I actually don't think Polish is all that obscure, I can think of 5 people I know who speak it. Anyhow the situation didn't necessarily call for a translator/interpreter, just for someone to call his name over the intercom and enough polish to say 'your mother is looking for you, come to ____ counter'. The internet can translate that for you in less than 5 minutes. We're talking an international airport here. Not everyone coming through speaks english.

I agree on the taser viewpoint but in this case I think it's the lesser of two evils. If the airport staff had done their job it never would have gotten to the point it did. His mother definitely speaks english and from what I read she was repeatedly asking staff to help her locate him.

There was a young guy from Vancouver Island there that night who filmed the incident. He had just returned from China so was in full paranoid-of-government-suppression mode and tried to hide it afterwards (he got the whole thing on tape). The RCMP confiscated it, telling him they'd have it back to him in two days ... of course they lied and he had to go to court to get it back. Apparently he was going public with it today so we'll see what that brings to light ... possibly a lot of the facts were confused.
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.

justfred

Post by justfred » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:22 pm

Wow, this is an old post ressurection.

(re: 2 posts above)
"There was a young guy from Vancouver..."
...who bragged he could outsuck a Hoover;

(next?)
What goes around, comes around.

Return to “Open Discussion”