Tech Advice for all, and for all subjects

All things outside of Burning Man.
ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:26 am

I bet it is,,,,,it does seem to happen when my computer is on for a long stretch......I usually fire it up in the morning and just leave it on until night.......use it off and on, maybe to much to check eplaya as I wander through the day.......

thanks.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:14 am

All day shouldn't be an issue if everything is tiptop, but it depends on use, I think.
My approach to searches seems capable of bringing firefox down quickly.
Some people never start a new session though.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:20 am

mostly, it just sits, idling........I check emails during the day, and, eplaya.........

some google searching, that's about it......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:26 am

If it's a new session, it shouldn't be the problem by itself, but if it needs defragging it could be.
That seems to make a big difference with mine.
If starting a new session helps, then it may have something to do with it though.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:27 am

yeah, closing and restarting usually fixes it.
I do defrag on a fairly regular basis.

thanks
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:41 am

Running scandisk in msdos from time to time helps mine too.
I had issues that normal scandisk didn't help.
I run that and defrag in safe mode.
Scanning in msdos helped.
I have no idea why.
Takes me several hours for a complete scan.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:45 am

I'd not thought of that, I'll try it, thanks.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:28 pm

Another problem for you.

Whenever my dad comes by, he is drawn like a moth to a flame to my Google Earth.

He is by no means computer savvy and is lucky to be able to work a mouse. So I loan him one of my wireless cards for the internet (they live too far out for cable internet or DSL, and there is a mountain to the south so Directway is out)

I loan him the card, and after talking them through the setup I get them online. Now i am trying to tell him how to install Google earth from the site, and I just cant do it on the phone.

I can DL Google earth to a disk NP, but is there a way to make it auto installing? I need to make it as simple and hands off as possible. The DVD player I bought them baffles my parents - so you get the picture. Going to their house is not an option ofr at least another month.

thanks a million.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:57 pm

Download this program (it's free for non-commercial use) and you can then use it to connect remotely to their computer while they are online and install it for them yourself. http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Fri May 01, 2009 7:22 pm

So heres another one -

another douche bag at one of our work sites is either maliciously or inadvertently erasing handover notes from one crew to another from the desktop.

Is there any way to password protect a folder on windows xp desktop to prevent this. I can password the file from being opened, but it still is erasable.

thanks a million.

stargeezer

Post by stargeezer » Fri May 01, 2009 7:39 pm

The approach I would take is put a copy routine in the background that always copies the new contents of one folder into another that is hidden off deep in some other directory. This would allow you to compare folders and see if anything is erased, and thus deal with the problem maker. Hiding a big brother routine in the computer is not that difficult, although it has been a while since I have done it.
If you want to reach for the stars, you better have long arms!

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Sat May 02, 2009 2:40 pm

You can create different users with xp and each would have their own documents folder etc. but I believe each logged in user can look at the others stuff in windows explorer, not sure though as I always op under the admin login.

Can you just copy and renaim the file and hide it somewheres?
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat May 02, 2009 2:45 pm

maybe just kill 'em one at a time until the problem stops?

just a barbaric thought.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Sat May 02, 2009 5:12 pm

mdmf007 wrote:So heres another one -

another douche bag at one of our work sites is either maliciously or inadvertently erasing handover notes from one crew to another from the desktop.

Is there any way to password protect a folder on windows xp desktop to prevent this. I can password the file from being opened, but it still is erasable.

thanks a million.
Have rights been assigned? When you say, "from the desktop" do you mean the link was deleted, or the file is stored in a folder called desktop?

If you have admin rights and the other user doesn't then

I think this might get you to your goal.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308419

and this

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic177864.html
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sun May 03, 2009 8:12 am

I am trying to update my Bios and using winphlash. it stops update when I get an error prompt stating that I don't have rights will not open. This happens when I'm logged in as an admin. I even check all the files and rights are assigned to my user. I even open winphlash as an administrator.

Any suggestions?

AIIZ

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Sun May 03, 2009 8:36 am

To those with PC woes.

I find that garbbing a decent book will help me figure out software when I can't figure it out on my own.

For anti-spyware and other decent freeware/shareware I goto majorgeeks.com

As far as some fucker dleetening someones shift notes or somesuch. Have you all considered emailing the stuff to each other. I'm not big on crackberry myself but for folks that need to keep networked those fancy internet phones can be quite nice.

I use spybot and avg fwiw and with tweaknow I remove unwanted extras. I manage to stay virus free. I also do not download apps from unknown sources or open emails from anon or unknown sources.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

wedeliver

Post by wedeliver » Sun May 03, 2009 8:51 am

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:I am trying to update my Bios and using winphlash. it stops update when I get an error prompt stating that I don't have rights will not open. This happens when I'm logged in as an admin. I even check all the files and rights are assigned to my user. I even open winphlash as an administrator.

Any suggestions?

AIIZ
I really have no idea about winphlash and therefore shouldn't comment but, (just how I am) try running in safe mode, or could the error be a function of the device who's bios you are updateing (mb i suspect), A little mb self protection?

also tucows might be a resouce

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

wedeliver

Post by wedeliver » Sun May 03, 2009 9:04 am

mdmf007 wrote:So heres another one -

thanks a million.
Humm, just had a thought, can any user delete system files? Can users drop to a command prompt, can they run utilites like regedit, if so then some douche bag will just cause more damage to the workstation if you try and protect something individually.

Redundancy and sync abilities would allow the recreation of the file if it was removed without using a blocking method. As long as mirror is protected and the file cannot be removed from that location with proper rights, the next sync the file would be returned.

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sun May 03, 2009 9:24 am

wedeliver wrote:
Apollonaris Zeus wrote:I am trying to update my Bios and using winphlash. it stops update when I get an error prompt stating that I don't have rights will not open. This happens when I'm logged in as an admin. I even check all the files and rights are assigned to my user. I even open winphlash as an administrator.

Any suggestions?

AIIZ
I really have no idea about winphlash and therefore shouldn't comment but, (just how I am) try running in safe mode, or could the error be a function of the device who's bios you are updateing (mb i suspect), A little mb self protection?

also tucows might be a resouce
I've used the winphlash before with success. It doesn't work Safe Mode- I've already tried it and get the error that it won't work in SM.

What do you mean by "mb"?

AIIZ

Thanks

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sun May 03, 2009 10:02 am

mdmf007 wrote:
Yes, you can password a file, but only on XP pro. It will be deletable still unless you set up diffent users and send the files to a shared folder but you might want everyone to use the same user for security and ease of use.

You can always email the requests using forwarding or setting up syncs.

If you use remote console, it will only work if peer to peer and tunneling is not disabled.

Forward Emailing is easier and everyone can access the messages on thier own.

I don't use tunneling or PTP connections. New Viruses such as Conflicker will use these systems to connect to the mother computers or bot hosts.

One note if you haven't done it is to disable autorun in your computers and UPnP. Vista has an eazy dialog in the control panel. XP doesn't and is not an original feature. you must download the fixes and web pages for directions. If you use USB devices, malware can install when you plug them in or check your bios for boot setting. USB should not be in the Boot sequence. If so, you can install malware duing the boot. Which I believe has happened so now I have to do a Low-Level format on all my drives after reinstalling the OS. This will take a week to do.

For what its worth, Root Kits, once installed, are almost impossible to removes without reinstalling the OS. So making a disk image is faster then finding and removing the Root Kit.

Making a Disk Image ISO should always be done right after you install the OS- low level formating should be done with new Boot Sectors. Always disconnect all non-boot drives first so not to be reinfected.

"Computers have simplified my life in a complicated way"

AIIZ

wedeliver

Post by wedeliver » Sun May 03, 2009 12:33 pm

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:
mdmf007 wrote:
Yes, you can password a file, but only on XP pro. It will be deletable still unless you set up diffent users and send the files to a shared folder but you might want everyone to use the same user for security and ease of use.

What do you mean by "mb"?..........
"Motherboard" 'basic input output system" although you could have been updating the bios on a number of other devices, I only made an assumption. (ouch)

You can install security manager for nt (2000) on xp home and get the security tab for files and folders as a feature of their properties.

and I found this:
Go into the folder where "WinPhlash.exe" is located
Right-Click on the file and Left-Click on "Run as administrator"
If the UAC (User Account Control) Windows appears click on "Continue"
Specify the BIOS file which is located in the same folder like "PhlashNT.sys" (usually a *.WPH file)
Make sure the path to the BIOS update is correctly and perform the BIOS update
Make sure the AC-adapter is connected and no peripherals are attached
Do not power off the machine during the BIOS update, just wait till it finished the update procedure
(ac adapter, SO IT IS A ATTACHED DEVICE, ha!)

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

Plastic G'zus

Post by Plastic G'zus » Fri May 08, 2009 9:48 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
This is a crappy prototype Reubens' tube. I am building a bigger, better one to take to the playa. My problem is, right now it only works indoors because even a slight breeze blows the flames out. Anybody got any ideas on how to make this work in the wind?
Make love to anything. Make war on everything.

ibdave

Post by ibdave » Sat May 16, 2009 8:14 pm

Somehow while in my son's control,my Macbook screen got cracked bigtime.. Bla bla blaaa... :shock: :shock: :cry:

Has anyone ever had a screen replaced from anyone other than Apple??
Cost??
I'll hang up a listen for your answers... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Sat May 16, 2009 8:42 pm

IBDave -

this is the second easiest mod repair for a laptop, ony thing easier is a drive replacement.

check out, http://computershopper.com/laptops/howt ... top-screen

for more detailed instructions. BUt to simplify it, there is nothing holding your screen in other than the screws and bezel around the edge. no glues, and only a foam pad or two to maintain spacing from the back of the screen and the actual backside of the case.

1. Remove all screws
2. Carefully remove bezel and screeen.
3. Detach the flat pin connector a thte bottom of the screen
4. Reverse procedure

A screen on my 17" gateway cost me 233.00
a screen on my daughters Toshiba was 120.00

I beg you to try it yourself before you pay some 18 Yo at Best Buy to do a 10 minute repair for 400 bucks. with half of it being labor.

That web link has some sites for replacement screens. The hardest part is finding the damn screen, and getting over sticker shock.

and just to be snarky, heres another link for you

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+replace+a+laptop+screen

My job here is done, and I am now fulfilled for the day,

out

MDMF

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Sat May 16, 2009 8:44 pm

Plastic G'zus wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
This is a crappy prototype Reubens' tube. I am building a bigger, better one to take to the playa. My problem is, right now it only works indoors because even a slight breeze blows the flames out. Anybody got any ideas on how to make this work in the wind?
Almost out - Sandwich it between two glass plates (the glass will get hot as hell though. Or use a slightly higher pressure and experiment.

ibdave

Post by ibdave » Sat May 16, 2009 9:28 pm

mdmf007 wrote:IBDave -

this is the second easiest mod repair for a laptop, ony thing easier is a drive replacement.

and just to be snarky, heres another link for you

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+replace+a+laptop+screen

My job here is done, and I am now fulfilled for the day,

out MDMF
007, That was very funny, thanks for the help and the laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Sat May 16, 2009 10:27 pm

mdmf007 wrote:
Plastic G'zus wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
Almost out - Sandwich it between two glass plates (the glass will get hot as hell though. Or use a slightly higher pressure and experiment.
More feed lines along the length of the tube?

That way the gas pressure is more even.

Just a guess.. not familiar with the sound activated aspect.

You did remove the cheesy regulator from the lp tank and put something else in right?

I know stupid question.. but I have seen ppl try to use 7lbs or whatever when the need at least 30.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon May 18, 2009 8:25 am

Best to try to find a used parts one and switch the lid.
Not simple on some.
Can be done though.

Instructions are online.

Get an antistatic band to wear.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue May 19, 2009 8:39 am

Short while back I was reading about a wind powered generator.

Ilost the addy or thread..

It was eing trouted as a one family generator.. With a name like whirly Gig. The wind vanes looked like a big broken laundry basket..

Anyone see such a thing??

SilverOrange

Post by SilverOrange » Tue May 19, 2009 9:47 am

unjonharley wrote:Short while back I was reading about a wind powered generator.

Ilost the addy or thread..

It was eing trouted as a one family generator.. With a name like whirly Gig. The wind vanes looked like a big broken laundry basket..

Anyone see such a thing??

Maybe one of these?

http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/585/The
http://www.home-energy.com/int/windpower.htm
http://www.energycurrent.com/index.php? ... ryid=10905
http://www.venturiwind.com/
http://www.enflo-windtec.ch/english/turbine.html
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/01 ... de_the.php

Return to “Open Discussion”