Scientology

All things outside of Burning Man.
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:14 pm

Servants fo the Wahnk. I love it. Sorry Boobie Baristas! I'm breaking off and forming my own camp!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:16 pm

wow! thats digging deep.

dana

Post by dana » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:31 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
dana wrote:Does anybody know if the Feds have gotten into looking into these practices, or do they really keep hands off because of "freedom of religion"?
The IRS wimped out on cancelling their tax exempt status, and I believe the typical CoS harrassment was a part of that.
I find it hard to believe that many people have been very successful at intimidating the government and being allowed to continue their program.

Now, purchasing the government you want is a different matter...

Mr.MaskedDude

Post by Mr.MaskedDude » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:21 pm

interesting theory, look into Clearwater PD in the future, do so in books though, dont go to Clearwater and ask them about connections with Scientology....unless you like being harrassed.
Burning Man Virgin

theCryptofishist

Donna, don't read this post, it will only piss you off.

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:03 pm

dana wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
dana wrote:Does anybody know if the Feds have gotten into looking into these practices, or do they really keep hands off because of "freedom of religion"?
The IRS wimped out on cancelling their tax exempt status, and I believe the typical CoS harrassment was a part of that.
I find it hard to believe that many people have been very successful at intimidating the government and being allowed to continue their program.
Yet somehow they did.

http://www.factnet.org/headlines/give-away.htm
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Cowen/essays/irs.html

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Cowen/essays/bigdeal.html
The second aspect is more disturbing. L. Ron Hubbard was convinced that anyone who "screamed about Scientology" was in fact hiding crimes in their personal lives which they did not want exposed - an illegitimate child, a financial fraud, etcetera. (See Hubbard's 1966 bulletin on this subject - "Attacks On Scientology".) This remains a core belief of Scientologists and is a principle to which the Church's current "intelligence agency", the Office of Special Affairs (OSA), adheres. The New York Times revealed that private detectives, allegedly acting on the orders of OSA executives, had systematically investigated the private lives of senior IRS officials. At the same time, the Church had launched lawsuits not just against the IRS but against its individual officers in a personal capacity.
Found that on my search. And I guess I have to say that that's a particularly good expression of transference. I mean Hubbard's putting his criminal habits onto the people who try and face him down about them. Wheeee!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

dana

Post by dana » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:06 pm

Mr.MaskedDude wrote:interesting theory, look into Clearwater PD in the future, do so in books though, dont go to Clearwater and ask them about connections with Scientology....unless you like being harrassed.
well.... cops are one thing.
The Feds and the IRS are a whole different ball-game. If you attract their attention, they tend to stay tuned into your activities.

If you have enough money you might be able to scare off a local government, but the IRS????!!

Wow, just read Crypto's post. Fuck me running is all I can say!!!

uh, well Obama did promise to change the mindset in Washington...???
yeah...sure.

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:55 pm

I think the OSA tactics are devastatingly effective and absolutely brilliant. They also scale down quite nicely for non-CoS use...not that I would know anything about the subject.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

dana

Post by dana » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:49 am

"OSA"???

sorry, not hip to the acronyms.

Quote:
The second aspect is more disturbing. L. Ron Hubbard was convinced that anyone who "screamed about Scientology" was in fact hiding crimes in their personal lives which they did not want exposed - an illegitimate child, a financial fraud, etcetera. (See Hubbard's 1966 bulletin on this subject - "Attacks On Scientology".) This remains a core belief of Scientologists and is a principle to which the Church's current "intelligence agency", the Office of Special Affairs (OSA), adheres. The New York Times revealed that private detectives, allegedly acting on the orders of OSA executives, had systematically investigated the private lives of senior IRS officials. At the same time, the Church had launched lawsuits not just against the IRS but against its individual officers in a personal capacity.
Found that on my search. And I guess I have to say that that's a particularly good expression of transference. I mean Hubbard's putting his criminal habits onto the people who try and face him down about them. Wheeee!
Not necessarily transference. More of making one's defense an action of offense. Its kind of an astute tactic based on the fact that most people have some dirt somewhere in their past that can be used against them.

You see a lot of couples playing this game while arguing.
A criticism comes up and is followed by... "Well look at that horrible thing you did..." Great. Now I get to ignore the criticism that was just brought up and the argument is pretty much guaranteed to escalate into futility.
Counter-suits are often made in the same way.

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:03 am

dana wrote:"OSA"???

Re-read Fishy's last post in this thread. OSA is explained there.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

dana

Post by dana » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:11 am

Kinetic V wrote:
dana wrote:"OSA"???

Re-read Fishy's last post in this thread. OSA is explained there.

D'oh!!
office of special affairs

damn ADD!! Don't let them bastard scientologists take away my Concerta!

Mr.MaskedDude

Post by Mr.MaskedDude » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:01 am

you dont need that Concerta shit man, just take some fish oils and a handful of niacin and join me in the sauna for some rigorous auditing.
Burning Man Virgin

roxxi

Post by roxxi » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:23 am

Dana,

Let's see, my favorite books are Fundamentals of Thought, New Slant on Life and Problems of Work.

I'm pretty sure that most public libraries have them, so you could check there!!

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:36 pm

Before shelling out the 3500 dollars required to even begin to try to become a Scientologist read the following summation and see if its what you're into. The main attraction many have to Scientology is the ability to become nearly godlike, controlling matter, energy, space, and time. Hell the ability to travel through time even interests me but I can't afford to join and apply since the minimum cost is 3500 dollars. Even after that 3500 you can't call yourself a Scientologist until you've been OK'd by the auditors and have had an extensive backround check.

• Belief in Deity
Scientology considers the belief in a God or gods as something personal and therefore offers no specific dogma. The nature of the Supreme Being is revealed personally through each individual as s/he becomes more conscious and spiritually aware. There exists a life energy or force (Theta) beyond and within all.

• Incarnations
There are no particular human incarnations of God, as the universal life force (Theta) is inherent in all. All humans are immortal spiritual beings (thetans) capable of realizing a nearly godlike state through Scientology practices.

• Origin of Universe and Life
All is manifestation of the universal spirit, which is all that actually exists.

• After Death
Rebirths continue until one consciously confronts all pre-birth, current-life, and previous-life traumas and realizes one's true nature as a "thetan," immortal spirit--transcending matter, energy, space, and time. Achieving this state enables the spirit to escape the cycle of birth and death--to operate independently of the physical universe and become one with God.

• Why Evil?
Painful experiences and harmful acts in one's prebirth, current, and past lives become imprinted in the reactive mind and lead to irrational behavior. Departures from rational thought and untrue ideas ("aberrations") can result in wrongdoing.

• Salvation
Salvation is achieved through the practices and techniques of Scientology, the ultimate goal of which is to realize one's true nature as an immortal spirit, a thetan. The path to salvation, or enlightenment, includes achieving states of increasingly greater mental awareness--Pre-Clear, Clear, and ultimately Operating Thetan. An Operating Thetan is a spirit who can control matter, energy, space, time, thought, and life. Practitioners ("Auditors") are regarded as ministers and counselors who assist others to achieve self-enlightenment. Auditors help others to identify their prebirth, current, and past-life disturbances, which are obstacles to happiness and spiritual enlightenment.

• Undeserved Suffering
Suffering occurs as part of the spirit's entrapment here in the physical universe. Only when the individual is aware of his spiritual nature can he identify his barriers within the universe and overcome them, rising out of a lower state and into a higher state of happiness and freedom.

• Contemporary Issues
Based on the belief that you cannot free yourself spiritually without working to free others, Scientology has founded and supports many organizations for social betterment, particularly in the areas of drug abuse, crime, psychiatric abuse, government abuse of law, human rights, religious freedom, education, and morality. Scientology strongly favors the use of their methodology for spiritual/mental healing over the use of conventional treatment.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

dana

Post by dana » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:42 pm

Mr.MaskedDude wrote:you dont need that Concerta shit man, just take some fish oils and a handful of niacin and join me in the sauna for some rigorous auditing.
Will it involve some serious thrashing with a juniper bough??

I'm IN!!!

(just kidding about the Concerta, but I do have some mild ADHD tendencies - mind tends to race)

Toolmaker, thanks for the summation! For all of the derogatory and strange information surrounding COS, I was still left with the question of where the appeal lies. Maybe it is just my personal prejudice, but I tend to suspect that people who reject traditional religion and seek an alternative will tend to be a little more discerning. (Clearly not true in many cases!!!)
Actually this information is similar to "new age" ideas with some new jargon added.

twinwitin

Post by twinwitin » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:00 am

o.k. I will appologize up front, I only read about three pages of this thread? I skipped to the end because I am being buried in tons of pamplets, letters, etc...from the scientologists, help!!! how do you get these people to leave you alone? They even started calling my house, they actually got my number and called to find out if I was going to a seminar in Florida???? I told them I would be there if John Travolta would be there, I even asked them to tell whoever to stop killing trees to send us all this paper, that we don't want!!! We have never wanted!!! This has been going on for 16 years peeps! They tracked us from L.A. to Medford Oregon, now to our present home. I can't take it anymore. Oh, and by the way, we actually get everything doubled because they send the same shit to my husband in his name!!!!! Poor poor trees, I live among the trees and walking through them, from my mailbox, with my armload of Scientology paperwork is heartrending. :cry: Help!!

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:58 am

16 years and two moves is a freaky kind of persistence.

Google gave me these: http://www.clearing.org/cgi/archive.cgi ... le.ivysubs

http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=24610

http://warrior.xenu.ca/1997-1115.html

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/answers2/fr ... 652AAr5Z21

I didn't go through these carefully, but I hope there's enough to get ya started.
The Lady with a Lamprey

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:19 pm

Scientologists are scary/

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:03 pm

Just got back home from Miami, opted to do without wheelchair and taped the foot with 1200mg of profen and popped a few percs to help me make it through the day. I got stalked by someone dressed kinda nice with really dark beady eyes. I decided to confront aformentioned beady eyed stalker and got into the typical sci-bs. The fool tried to get grabby and I wound up having to defend myself lawfully. Lets just say that all in all it wasn't as exciting as the FTAA protest but I did get to meet a chickie we will party with next weekend. Lucky for me she likes to be on top. :)

twinwitin

Post by twinwitin » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:46 pm

thank you Crypto :P I will try these and get back to you all with the results
see you in less than 200 days!!!!

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:43 am

L.A. takes part in Scientology protests

http://www.latimes.com/news/printeditio ... 0184.story

A group of Internet activists who organized a global day of demonstrations gathered at locations on Sunset and Hollywood boulevards.
By David Sarno, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
February 11, 2008
Anonymous, the loosely bound group of Internet activists who have targeted the Church of Scientology in recent weeks, showed up Sunday morning to protest at the church's largest Los Angeles locations.

The rallies were part of a global day of demonstrations against Scientology organized by the group, with picketers in New York, Toronto, Britain, Australia and other locations.

The protests were peaceful, with music and chanting. Many of the Los Angeles picketers wore the Guy Fawkes masks made popular in the movie "V for Vendetta."

A near-constant stream of horn honks provided background noise for protesters at the Scientology center on Sunset Boulevard. After about two hours, the group headed to a Scientology church on Hollywood Boulevard.

Security personnel, some with video cameras, were stationed at entrances to both locations. A Fawkes-masked spokesman for Anonymous, who wouldn't give his name but whom several protesters identified as the organizer of the L.A. event, said, "We want to set off a government investigation into how [Scientology] got tax-exempt status."

The church was granted tax-exempt status in 1993 after a protracted battle with the IRS, which for 25 years had maintained that Scientology was a business, not a religion.

Contacted for comment on the protests, a Scientology representative issued a statement that called Anonymous "a group of cyber-terrorists" that is "perpetrating religious hate crimes against Churches of Scientology and individual Scientologists for no reason other than religious bigotry."

Asked to explain the groundswell of opposition, protester and former Scientology member Lynn Fountain Campbell, who said she had been part of the church for 40 years, said, "It's just reached a critical mass. People just aren't scared anymore."

"They try to make people shut up," she said, "and I'm not the shutting up type."

david.sarno@latimes.com
[url=http://www.digicastinternational.com][img]http://76.14.56.240/digiweb/button10.jpg[/img][/url]

"[i][b]The art is in the digit![/b][/i]"

[url=http://eplaya.burningman.com/search.php?search_author=THE+ORIGINAL+DIGIMAN]The Original Digiman[/url]

oFZo

Post by oFZo » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:54 am

There was a silmilar protest in Amsterdam this weekend.
I read it in a newspaper in the train this morning, I don't have much time to look on the internet for articles while at work, hence no link/in depth story.
Too many puppies
with guns in their hands.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:59 am

MIAMI
[youtube][/youtube]

LOS ANGELES
[youtube][/youtube]

LONDON
[youtube][/youtube]

SAN FRANCISCO
[youtube][/youtube]

HOLLYWOOD
[youtube][/youtube]

HOUSTON
[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

SACRAMENTO
[youtube][/youtube]

WASHINGTON DC
[youtube][/youtube]

I don't think theres ever been a protest as succesful as this on such a large (global) scale in my lifetime. I just wish I could have been in a city that had a bigger turnout. In Miami alot of folks don't speak english so the turnout was expected to be really low.

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:53 pm

<HOWLING>

Protesters around the globe are wearing these Guy Fawkes masks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes

http://tinyurl.com/2gc57h
Desert dogs drink deep.

EL Wire

Post by EL Wire » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:12 am

Another last post from me. . :)

All cats love fish but fear to wet their paws.
--------
Terminal City BM 08: http://www.apokiliptika.com/terminal_city_page.htm

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:39 am

was watching something on the history channel yesturday and this was mentioned:

I couldnt find a good source but Im sure there is one out there?

Charlie Manson was a scientologist!

http://www.lermanet2.com/scientologysca ... manson.htm
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

EL Wire

Post by EL Wire » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:49 am

pinemom wrote:was watching something on the history channel yesturday and this was mentioned:

I couldnt find a good source but Im sure there is one out there?
Here is one:
http://www.xenu.net/
Its actually a Norwegian guy running this site. :wink:
All cats love fish but fear to wet their paws.
--------
Terminal City BM 08: http://www.apokiliptika.com/terminal_city_page.htm

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:15 pm

Frist place I ever heard of scientology was in Helter Skelter.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:17 pm

does anyone see the parallels in Scientology and Mormonism

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:30 pm

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:does anyone see the parallels in Scientology and Mormonism
No - care to enlighten?

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:42 am

Morony's from outer space?
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

Return to “Open Discussion”