All things outside of Burning Man.
Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:40 pm

They be spacey

both founders were convicted as frauds!

AIIZ

Rolan Headon

Post by Rolan Headon » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:17 am

must confess to skipping many of the pages on this Interesting Thread...

Mereth, you are one sweet personality as revealed by your posts, hang in there, you're being ganged up on but think about these challenges to your beliefs, they may be valuable to you some day and they're posted by folks concerned and caring believe it or not mostly about saving you pain. (My dear old mother, when asked how she could possibly attend a Baptist church, of all things, replied it was the closest church and she just wanted an occasional feeling of gratitude and didn't give a shit about the specifics)

Scientific comment about the weight of wisdom: The sacred book of the Mormons given to the originator by god and made of gold, would weigh well over 200 lbs while a copy of Dianetics would weigh no more than a contemporary era copy of Valley of the Dolls.
Was born late and falling ever further behind, will soon be in the lead.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:35 am

Rolan Headon wrote:must confess to skipping many of the pages on this Interesting Thread...

Scientific comment about the weight of wisdom: The sacred book of the Mormons given to the originator by god and made of gold, would weigh well over 200 lbs while a copy of Dianetics would weigh no more than a contemporary era copy of Valley of the Dolls.
But a copy of Dianetics will cost you the weight of 200lbs of Gold!

In some cases your life, but that can happen in Mormonism and has as well.

My suggestions if they make you pay for the Religion or ask for any form of money. It's not a religion but a bidness!

Read the "Gods" forum

AIIZ

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:07 am

After reading "the Barefaced Messiah", "A Piece of Blue Sky", and "Under the Banner of Heaven" (the first two about Scientology and the last about the Mormons), I suspect that L. Ron Hubbard might have been imitating Joe Smith (and, possibly, Alistair Crowley) when he came up with the Church of Scientology. He seemed to be following Smith's script, but seemed to be incorporating some of Crowley's beliefs. (Hubbard seemed to like "borrowing" from a lot of folks, actually.)

In the long haul, Mormonism seems to be more successful than Scientology. The Latter Day Saints seem to be better at adapting to the changes in society-- I don't know if this would be because of the way the leadership is set up or something to do with the core beliefs. Just a side note.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:34 am

Didn't the Mormons borrow from Islam in turn?

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:37 am

what a bunch of Moroni's.
Frida Be You & Me

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:19 pm

(Hubbard seemed to like "borrowing" from a lot of folks, actually.) [/quote] Plagerism is a rushed messiah's best friend.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:18 pm

Look, Ron was right about a lot of things related to going "clear" or becoming attuned to the source of creation or becoming so called "enlightened" ...it's the pushy, culty, financial pressure component that poisons Scientology's well.
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:45 pm

Big Bust on men with under age wifes: shit but do they have to hog all of them!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/09/us/09raid.html?ref=us

Because of this “pervasive pattern of indoctrinating and groomingâ€

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:25 am

Apollonaris Zeus wrote: I'll take scientology over a bunch of brat wifes anyday

AIIZ
I'll pass on both, thank you. No matter what angle that one looks at either Scientology or the crazies in Texas with, they both have severe enough flaws that taking either one seriously is very difficult.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:43 am

theCryptofishist wrote:(Hubbard seemed to like "borrowing" from a lot of folks, actually.)
Plagerism is a rushed messiah's best friend.
I believe that Jesus stole from Mithras and that Mohammed (PBUH) stole from Zoroaster. Nothing new under the sun. All "fake" religions, BTW. ;)

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:49 pm

You forgot Dionysus. Another mediterrianian god coming back from the dead. And making wine.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Everything old is new again.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Rolan Headon

Post by Rolan Headon » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:05 pm

Copies of Dianetics are usually available at the nearest thrift store for a quarter or so.
Was born late and falling ever further behind, will soon be in the lead.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:01 pm

See if I ran a thrift store those would go straight to the pulper.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Mr.MaskedDude

Post by Mr.MaskedDude » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:21 am

I got a copy just recently. It's really hard reading though, and not in a good way. They tend to change the definitions of words, even changing nouns into verbs and vice versa. I dont know if im far stupider than i realized (im not) but he seems to write a lot of unnecessarily complicated stuff so as to encourage the reader to just skip some of the crap.

I'll have to post a quote from it at some point.
Burning Man Virgin

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:41 am

Mr.MaskedDude wrote:I got a copy just recently. It's really hard reading though, and not in a good way. They tend to change the definitions of words, even changing nouns into verbs and vice versa. I dont know if im far stupider than i realized (im not) but he seems to write a lot of unnecessarily complicated stuff so as to encourage the reader to just skip some of the crap.

I'll have to post a quote from it at some point.
Could you quote that little bit at the beginning about how if you don't understand it you should look up words in a dictionary? I always thought that was a tecnique to blame the reader for Hubbard's bad prose. I also thought that it was deliberately nonscensical--in part to seem deep and in part to sort of confuse the reader and make him/her more suseptiple to the sell.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Mr.MaskedDude

Post by Mr.MaskedDude » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:19 am

Important Note

In reading this book, be very certain you never go past a word you do not understand.

The only reason a person gives up a study or becomes confused or unable to learn is because he or she has gone past a word that was not understood.

The confusion or inability to grasp comes after a word was not understood. Have you ever had the experience of coming to the end of a page and realizing that you didn't know what you had read? Somewhere earlier on that page you passed a word that you didn't understand.

Here's an example. "It was found that when the crepuscule arrived the children were quieter and when it was not present, they were much livelier." You see what happens. You think you don't understand the whole idea, but the inability to understand came entirely from the one word you could not define, crepuscule, which means twilight or darkness.

If, in readin gthis book, the materials become confusing or you just can't sem to grasp it, there will be a word just earlier that you haven't understood. Don't go any further, but go back to before you got into difficulty Find the misunderstood word and get it defined.

(New Edition of Dianetics by L. Ron Hubbard)

I'll transcribe the part about redefinition of words tomorrow, incidentally the word i was thinking of is Dynamic, which is redefined as The tenacity to life and vigor and persistence in survival.

Side Note: It's 3am here and channel 9 has some strange movie starring Bjork. Sweet.
Burning Man Virgin

Badger

Post by Badger » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:48 pm

Don't go any further, but go back to before you got into difficulty Find the misunderstood word and get it defined.
I always thought the purpose of literature was to convey an idea or story to a reader in as seamless and consistent a way as possible.

The idea of having to stop and look up a word - especially one made up - every few pages seems the hallmark of an amateur.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Mr.MaskedDude

Post by Mr.MaskedDude » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:52 pm

I actually agree with the principle in general. A lot of people will skim over what they are reading quickly, miss a word, and so not quite get that passage. The problem arises in this book because he likes to be wordy.

I'm no neanderthal, ive loved to read since childhood, and ordinarily looking up a word from time to time wouldnt be a big deal. Especially if it's written in a strange dialect or something. Dianetics however seems to take great joy in finding obscure words that mean the same thing as common words...like a high school kid with the hots for teacher.
Burning Man Virgin

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:57 am

The idea of "Dianetics" is to convince you that you are broken and need help. Advertisements are usually free.

They might as well be talking about toenail fungus.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:03 pm

Read the false statement about "Texas Tea" I'm telling Jed Clampet about this one.

Scientology Against Drugs
Both psychotropic and street drugs damage a person physically, mentally and spiritually
10.13.07Is Marijuana Safe?Posted in Is Marijuana Safe? tagged Cannabis, Child, Designer Drug, Drug Abuse, drugging, Drugs, Family, Hashish, Joints, Life, Long-Term Effects, Pot. Marijuana, Raves, Short-Term Effects, Weed at 11:19 pm by websk8er

Ads by Google
NJ Adult Substance Abuse
Facilities throughout northern NJ
Evening and Day Programs
www.HighFocusCenters.comMarijuana Rehab Treatment
Marijuana Addiction Intervention
Program. 19 Years In Rehabilitation
www.DrugRehabCenter.com

Facts About Marijuana (Cannabis and Hashish)
The Truth About Joints dispels the false propaganda that cannabis is “not as badâ€

mk-ultra

Post by mk-ultra » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:09 am

disregard

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:15 am

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:31 am

Tom Cruise will be in the Man, as he burns this year..and John Travolta will sacrifice himself in the flames. after the man falls.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Snapovski

Post by Snapovski » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:14 am

[youtube][/youtube]

Don't know if this one's been posted before, but it's quite worth the watch... ;)

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:05 pm

SCIENTOLOGY KILLS

[youtube][/youtube]

rodent

Post by rodent » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:57 am

Oh boy....

http://forums.enturbulation.org/12-curr ... 8-a-24799/

I smell a miniraid.

Date: Thur, Aug 28th
City: Black Rock City
Meet-up Location: Center Cafe
Meet-up Time: 2:00pm
Protest Location: The Man
Protest Time: 1.00
URL with more information: n/a
Notes: Show off your BurnAnon skilz

---
rodent (putting the eek in geek)
---
rodent (putting the eek in geek)

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:48 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:You forgot Dionysus. Another mediterrianian god coming back from the dead. And making wine.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Everything old is new again.
No, that's a real one. :P

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:15 pm

so noted, and will be "dealt" with....thank you.

ps. anyone have a john travolta mask i can borrow?
Frida Be You & Me

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:46 pm

Obama wants to cut the amount the tax deduction of donations. I wonder what has the religious groups have said about this since it would reduce the funding of all groups and their Missionary recruitment.

I fully support Obama on this one!

AIIZ

Return to “Open Discussion”