Guns, Love Em or Leave Em

All things outside of Burning Man.
ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:33 pm

yeah, I called 911 years ago upon arriving home to find a potential burglar..........

I told them I'd be the fellow with the shotgun, the perp would be the guy on his knees in the gravel driveway.............

when they showed up, they annonced who they were,(from the speaker in their car about 100 feet away, and, asked me to retreat and lay the weapon down.
I refused stating I'd secure the weapon until they were out and ready to take over, at which time I'd lay it away from me.........they stared at me for a while, then agreed..........I told them, if I "let down", the perp might run, then, I'd have to chase and beat him, which I was to tired to do...........

they giggled later about that one..
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:34 pm

Tonight a homeowner caught Kappa Alpha members trying to steal a statue from his porch.
He held them at gunpoint until police arrived.

The house has a 'forget the dog, beware of owner' sign.
Spytown in reno has some really interesting signs of this general type.
There is one offering to test one's theory of eternal life.
I got some small foil stickers that look quite professional.
(None shown here.)

In local crime news here, a 13 year old girl had her murder by knife conviction upheld.
No gun involved.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:25 pm

Often the most common threat when I go for a walk is unrestrained dogs.
I can't understand anyone walking without a gun.

In this case, the dog owner is charged with aggravated assault.
Dogs are usually ineffective for security or too dangerous.
Make sure you have really good insurance if you own a dog.
Sheriff's deputies this morning arrested the owner of three pit bulls that attacked and injured a Cordova woman and her dog earlier this week, charging him with aggravated assault.

Andre Robinson, 33, is being held at the Shelby County Jail on $500,000 bond.
http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11420431
http://www.wreg.com/wreg-pitbull-attack ... 2779.story
http://www.wreg.com/wreg-pitbullattacks ... 0173.story
http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/news/lo ... vhjbw.cspx
http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news/lo ... k_arrested
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... t-followi/

can't sit still

Post by can't sit still » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:39 pm

Gyre, I made 7 trips to ALASKA. In MANY places, dogs are banned from trails. People think that their dog is too well trained to bother anyone, so they bring it along. A bear shows up,,,,, the dog runs at it and barks,,, the bear takes a swing,,,, the dog runs back and hides behind the owner. THEN, the fun starts.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:44 pm

Same thing happens with alligators.
They can smell a dog for miles.
Happened in florida awhile back.
The dog was fine.
Not the child.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:48 pm

There is no "Shelby" county in Alaska, Cordova is in Matanuska Burough.

Then I realized I =was reading the post worng, the article was in Cordova, Tennessee.

geospyder

Post by geospyder » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:15 pm

The person next to me today was going for a head shot and missed. He got the wire rope holding the targets. Just had to take a picture.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:17 pm

That's quite an impressive shot.

Here's why you never pull over for an unmarked car, and why ethical police departments don't pull anyone over with them.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news/lo ... lls+couple

Alleged Pretend Cop Almost Kills Couple

Memphis, Tn - A Memphis man is still behind bars tonight, for playing pretend cop. His time as an alleged police officer almost killed a couple on Poplar. It started around 8:30 Saturday night. Somewhere around the intersection of Poplar and Highland, police records show Daniel Browning snapped.

"He looked real high, like he was on cocaine," Michael Caldwell said.

Caldwell and his girlfriend, Nakita Brooks, were on their way to Rafferty's for their date night. Brooks was driving and Caldwell says she slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting Browning's car.

"He just locked on his brakes and hollers, 'pull over, pull over, police, pull over. I'm the cops.' And, he's flashing a gun and flash light at us," Caldwell said.

They didn't pull-over.

"We were like, show us a badge, show us something that says police," Caldwell said.

Caldwell says Browning chased them down Poplar at 70 miles an hour. At one point, Caldwell says Browning was shooting a gun, hitting the couple's car with a baton, and shining a flashlight in his girlfriend's eyes.

"She couldn't see anything. She's just driving and ducking," Caldwell said.

Caldwell says they called 9-1-1 and pulled over at the Shell near Oakcourt. Police say Browning followed and jumped out. He allegedly ripped the phone from Caldwell's hands and stomped on it. The couple took-off again and waited for the real police at Rafferty's.

Life in our fair city.
And if anyone still wonders why you can't insure a large dog, we just had a 16 month old killed by a dog.
He got off the chain and despite people present trying to stab him, no one had a gun.
He got in the house and killed the child while people tried to stop it.

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:50 pm

7 trips to Alaska? lets see... I've been to Dutch Harbor, UnAlaska, Nome, Talkeetna, Denali National Park and the High one twice, Anchorage and Cook Inlet and I wanna go back in a bad way, this time to Gates of the Arctic. Get lost for a spell. Alaska is the biggest place I've ever seen. Ok, It can swallow the Grand Canyon, sorry Arizona, it's true.
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:53 pm

Oh yeah, I like the "hardware " store in Dutch Harbor......provisions, tools, rugged clothing, fishing supplies and "machine guns" yeah! Cool.
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:03 am

I have a friend who went and has been going back every year since.
He quit traveling to other places, as was his intent.

A truck supply store in alaska was the last place on this continent I found the big 10" driving lights that used to be available.
They wanted me to build 1 kilowatt driving lights for their trucks up there, in spite of the price I quoted them.
They can drive 1600 miles completely offroad there and normal light patterns don't work.
I felt the new HID lights finally made such a light obsolete, but I should check.
They wanted a spot, but I thought a bright enough flood would work better.
A similar thing has happened with flashlights as efficiency increases.

Before he went up, I think my friend was wondering if he would like it up there.

I have to go up.
I always wanted to go up the Alcan.

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:57 pm

Anyone familiar with Saiga 12's? I'm aware that the newer "non-assault weapon" version, is still considered an AW.... A dealer in LA has been selling them with magazine locks, rendering them "really non-assault weapons." Any word on future plans to close that loophole? Never cared for them in the past, but have recently grown fond of shotguns. Had to surrender my hungarian sa 85m... :( figured id try something new.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:38 am

I'm not familiar with it, but i found this review.
http://home.comcast.net/~shooter2_indy/saiga12.html

A five round assault weapon?
Funny stuff.

They still offer the 10 round kalashnikov, very cheap.
There is a great deal on the CZ version, not ten round or as cheap.
Wish I had the money.

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:45 pm

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:56 pm

Yeah they're neat. Troops are using them in Iraq I think. Hate to be on the receiving end of that...or maybe not bad, you'd go fast.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:07 pm

Slides, but interesting.
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

http://www.americansnipers.org/

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:07 pm

Centerfire has a very limited number of the old M90 AK kits with barrels, in good shape for $250, side folder 7.62 X 39.

They have M90 and M65 kits without barrels for $110/$120.

From the range I trained with-

Student Involved Incident #51

Monday evening, at 10:40pm, we had the 51st self defense incident involving a Rangemaster student that we know of. This one occurred in an upscale area in the Southeast part of the county, just outside the Memphis city limits.

The male resident had just arrived home, exited his car, and was walking up the sidewalk to his home when he was accosted by two armed robbery suspects. A struggle ensued, during which the homeowner was shot in the thigh by one of the suspects. The homeowner's wife was at the front door to greet her husband, and saw the attack. She ran upstairs, got her handgun, opened the bedroom window and engaged the suspects with several shots from the window. She hit one suspect, and both fled.

The homeowner was taken to a local hospital and treated. About 1:00am, police received a call from Delta Medical Hospital on Getwell about a male with a gunshot wound. He was positively identified by the victim as one of the robbers, and was arrested and transferred to the jail unit at the Med. The second suspect was still at large at the time of the police report.

Comments:
1. Both the homeowner and his wife have been through training here. The wife's ability to engage the suspects likely saved her husband's life. Had she not intervened he probably would have been shot more.

2. The victim owns several businesses, including a couple of convenience stores in Hickory Hill. It appears he was followed home, and possibly deliberately targeted on the theory that he would be carrying the store's cash. Be alert, and as you draw near your home or other destination, check your rear view mirrors! If you have made some turns and the same vehicle is right behind you, don't go home.

3. Practice! Not all defensive shootings involve a suspect a few feet away. In this instance, the wife had to shoot past her husband from the second floor window, without hitting him.

can't sit still

Post by can't sit still » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:28 am

Somebody is going to have a very sore wrist;
http://www.gunreports.com/news/ammo/Win ... 460-1.html
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:12 am

why a sore wrist?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:35 am

Thinking of picking up this to add to the "collection". Thoughts?

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/sub2000.htm
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:38 am

Sail Man wrote:Thinking of picking up this to add to the "collection". Thoughts?

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/sub2000.htm
nice looking..........handgun ammo, is still handgun ammo, though......not so powerful compared to rifle ammo.
it's nice to have two guns, one cartridge, though.
Depends on what you're doing with it......
also, easily found, popular, established cartridges would be my preference.

pure survival, IMHO, .22 rimfire, either LR or mag.

personal defense, I like the old .45 ACP.

all around, a combo of .44 mag or .357, lever action rifle and revolver. Simple, no jams, good power, compact, so, you can carry a lot, and, easy to find. you can also shoot .44 or .38 specials in them. And, shot shells are available in those calibers, and .22.......

Not to take away from your choice there, it is a beauty.......
just my thoughts......I'm sure others will differ.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:23 am

Pistol rounds are plenty for home defense. I don't know where the idea of assault rifles - and sniper rifles! - for home defense began, but I believe it had something to do with a militia. Instead of portraying yourself as a militia, you claim that your military weapons are for home defense. Depends on your definition of "home" and "defense" I guess. ;)

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:50 am

quite true, Dougly........but, for home defense, the shotgun is the best.......
IMHO, on many levels........

handguns are to take the place of hand to hand, designed, really for close range.

A rifle, will reach so much further, and, do so much more........

as always, depends on applications..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:51 am

A friend of mine has one of these in 9mm.
He carries it in the car for self defense.
I've handled it and I think I fired it.
Very quick to locate targets with and well made.
He has a huge gun collection and carries that, so that's a recommendation.
I am always amazed at the people I know with extensive and often quite costly collections, that still carry keltecs, especially the 380.

I can ask him any questions you have and I could probably arrange to fire it again at some point.
If you get it, only use mecgar magazines with it.

If you're inclined toward the AKs, I would recommend the VZ58 variant.
Not an AK.
More developed.
$600 at centerfire with the original chrome lined barrel.
Apex has the early parts kits for $180, but receivers are expensive.
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/rifle-vz58hc-fold.aspx

If you have any inclination to building your own, we have a bullpup design that works well, in AK.
No one sells one of this type.
I can send you details.
The VZ58 is not appropriate for the bullpup, though it might be possible to do it.

7.62 x 39 ammo is around 20 cents now.
FMJ is recommended for loading ease.

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:15 pm

I've been wanting something more along the lines of a close in assault weapon, initially leaning towards a .223 AR style. Both the wife and I trained with the M16 in the service, for me it was my daily duty weapon and we both like the way the round handles. But we're talking about at least 700$ for a "entry level" AR and I can get the Kel Tec for 400$. So, better price point, fires the same ammo as our respective handguns which cuts down on another round to have to stock up on.

Already have a 7.62 in a Hungarian M44, 30-30, 12g pump and a sgl shot .410.

Ruger 10/22 that just got some new bling in the form of a Tapco stock/fore-end, which my little burner of 7 yrs def. enjoyed shooting when we went up north for hunting.

We were talking about the Kel Tec the other night, and thinking that if we did get it we'd look at a Mossberg 500 in a 20g or a .410 (as I feel thats an easier shell to handle for us smaller peeps) or even a single shot .22 for the boy. Basically getting 2 guns for the price of a Bushmaster AR.

Gyre, I've looked at this site http://www.del-ton.com/ because of some posts on another forum, seems many out there are building their AR's. Now, as I said I carried the M16 damn near 30 yrs ago, and a few years back broke down a friends AR like it was yesterday, but my question is, how easy is it to build from the ground up with the various components? Is it cost effective?

I havent even meshed out this next purchase and I'm already starting to decide/investigate the .308 vs 30-06 line-ups.

Too many toys, to little money
:lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:06 pm

I haven't researched the AR builds much, but they they seem overly expensive.
I would recommend the VZ-58.
I plan on getting one when I can afford it, if they are still around at these prices.
You can get an equivalent AR for around $5000.
And it will still have inferior ballistics.

The medium power 7.62 x 39 is a low pressure round, while the 223 is high pressure, so you have different fire characteristics and higher wear with the smaller round.
The purpose of the AR is to make carrying massive amounts of ammo for full auto use easier.
I don't find the recoil an issue and plenty of children use AKs in warfare, so I know size isn't that much of a problem, especially if you don't strip the weight off.
You can almost get the weight down to match the AR.
I find it a pleasant low power round, and it is still effective even in cheap ammo.
I pay quite a bit for self defense 9mm ammo and it is still 25% of the power of 7.62.
You can also get the AK-74 with 5.45 x 39, which is superior to the 223, but you may have ammo issues in the future with that size.

When it comes to building, it depends on how you plan on doing it.
You can do a lot of simple fabrication with the AK, or you can buy everything off the rack.
Simple except you have to put enough usa parts in it.
At least five are required for the AK.
Trigger group, receiver, gas piston, magazine followers or entire magazine, and you can go further.

A complete kit with barrel is now up to $250, $120 for the newer kits.
You can get a saiga 7.62 or 223 for $325 now.
AK AMD-65 for $400, ready to use.
Yugo underfolder for $500.
Those are centerfire prices and just samples.
I haven't found the VZ anywhere else at a better price right now though.
I think it is vastly superior to the other AK models, but it is different.
Lighter, smaller, stronger, more sophisticated, but few interchangeable parts with AKs.

My expensive 9mm ammo is about 400 flbs, 450 to 500 might be reached with the longer barrel, but it isn't rifle ammo.
The main advantage to the 2000 is accuracy and ease of handling, a big advantage.
The same company's ammo in 223 is 1100 flbs.
I don't know what cheaper ammo would do.
7.62 x 39 is 1450 flbs, 1600 flbs and 1762 flbs in high end ammo.
But due to the design, cheaper ammo won't lose much power.
Your long barreled 7.62 will have more power with the longer barrel.
I think the kick is more tolerable with the AK because it is a low pressure system.
You often see people firing them in full auto over their heads one-handed.
It's not that hard to handle.

can't sit still

Post by can't sit still » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:19 pm

ygmir wrote:why a sore wrist?
I would certainly have a sore wrist if I fired 200 million rounds of pistol ammo.

I just have .44 mag for a Dan Wesson 8inch revolver and a Ruger .44 carbine. Same ammo,,, 240 grain high velocity hollow point. Nothing fancy but , pretty good weight.

gyre

SUB 2000

Post by gyre » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:21 pm

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9mmluger.html
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/index.html

One estimate I found is a 30% increase with the corbon, about 560 flbs.
A handload for a rifle might do much better, with slow burning powder.
Estimates ranged from 20% to 50% better in power, with a handload at the far end.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:42 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Pistol rounds are plenty for home defense. I don't know where the idea of assault rifles - and sniper rifles! - for home defense began, but I believe it had something to do with a militia. Instead of portraying yourself as a militia, you claim that your military weapons are for home defense. Depends on your definition of "home" and "defense" I guess. ;)
You'll have to explain the militia thing.

Here it's drug dealers, thieves and private citizens.
The police all have real assault weapons and sniper rifles.
And you really want a high power round for that, I think, like the 308.

Assault weapons are, by definition, selectable fire low to medium power weapons.
While the older AKs were primarily manufactured in selectable fire and the kits I might order will arrive as machine guns, I must modify them to single fire only to be legal.

Why are assault weapons low to medium power only?
Weight and the ability to handle the weapon in full auto mode.
The weight is really a more critical issue.
The weight adds up really quickly, especially with 7.62 ammo.
308 ammo becomes crippling in quantity.

You have a good point about a rifle round having more power.
That is the reason for using one for self defense.
A rifle is much easier to aim under stress, as long as you have enough room to move with it.
Having used a weapon for defense, I assure you that you need every advantage under those circumstances.
Self defense is not a theoretical concept here or many other places.
No handgun round has adequate stopping power.
A shoulder wound from the 7.62 might produce enough shock to stop an intruder.
This is not true of handgun rounds.
Defending yourself from someone with cover is a real issue too.
That penetration capability is something that you have to be aware of, of course.

I advised a friend to get rid of his SKS in 7.62 because I didn't think he could handle these backstop issues, and his area has thin walled houses.
I may have saved the life of his burglar by teaching him intimidation tactics.

It was during an extended power loss.
Blackness for miles.
But no ac.
So he heard the guy prowling up to the window.
He racked the gun as loudly as possible and the guy took off.
The back yard was full of trees down from the storm and the burglar plowed into the middle of them doing considerable damage to himself.
But still alive.
That would have been one loud sound, as silent as the city was then.

The burglars that intended to kill me tried to hunt me from the outside of the house, quite a terrifying prospect.
Such a killing was recently successful, without anyone entering the house at all.

In such a case, the person with the rifle survives.

As thick as those walls were, I doubt a 7.62 could penetrate with enough power to hurt anyone, but seeing them coming through at all has dramatic effect.
My feeling is that I don't actually have to hit an intruder, only throw them off enough that they can't hit me.
Don't underestimate the psychological effect of having a rifle pointed at you.
Many people aren't impressed by handguns and will attack.
In most confrontations, I have not even needed to point a weapon at anyone.
The mere presence has a calming effect on the average person.

But given a choice, I would always rather have a rifle or shotgun.
And I am aware of nothing more cost effective than the mass produced rifles like the AK.
Why should I pay more for an inferior weapon because some people are superstitious about them?
Let U.S. manufacturers compete or beg for money like the banks.
That's the only purpose of the "assault weapons" tax.
As it is, I have to pay much more to get one that is legal.
Ridiculous nonsense.

By the way, my cheap flak jacket will likely stop 9mm rounds.
The drug dealers wear $1000 vests.
Only the better ones even have a chance of stopping a rifle round.

FYI, any crook can have fully selectable weapons.
Much cheaper when you don't care about the law on such things.
A semiautomatic will cost you much more than an illegal automatic.
So is there any real reason to ban select fire for honest citizens?
No.

Automatic fire is mostly useless, except for initial fire.
And then you are out of ammo.
Even a slow weapon like the AK will be empty fast.

But the restrictions mean nothing, except to people trying to obey the law.
Don't forget that all assault weapons were regulated many, many years ago.
Recent laws have not affected a single one.
They have meant millions of dollars in some manufacturer's pockets, thanks to protectionism.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:52 pm

can't sit still wrote:
ygmir wrote:why a sore wrist?
I would certainly have a sore wrist if I fired 200 million rounds of pistol ammo.

I just have .44 mag for a Dan Wesson 8inch revolver and a Ruger .44 carbine. Same ammo,,, 240 grain high velocity hollow point. Nothing fancy but , pretty good weight.
hahaha, I get it.......yeah, that'd be a lot of shooting.............

I like that combo, I have it in the same Ruger carbine, and lever action Winchester, and, a model 29 83/8 s&w.

lever/pistol combos in other calibers, as well.........

Lever actions are good, for several reasons, IMHO.
they still hold a fair amount of ammo, no need for clips, can fire fairly rapidly, and, simple, less jamming potential or reality.
the drawback is needing to use flat or round tip bullets, but, you need that for revolvers anyway.........takes shooting over 100 yds, sort of out of the mix.

There's so much to be said for rifle/pistol cartridge combos.........

but, to me, the most important thought is:
what can you shoot comfortably and hit something with?

"a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44"

All those "builds" and exotics, as fun and pretty as they are, to me, are just that.
If, you want to rely on something, and, have parts and ammo available, stick with something simple, time tested, and common...........

but, that's just me........

after all, the sheriff only gives me one bullet anyway........

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Return to “Open Discussion”