So...you didn't get to go this year?

All things outside of Burning Man.
Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

So...you didn't get to go this year?

Post by Kinetik V » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:21 am

Some of us for one reason or another couldn't make it to BRC this year. How about telling us why you couldn't go and if you're already making plans for next year?

Also people over on Tribe have posted some links to webcams and other online sources that will let the rest of us stuck on the outside get a peek into what's going on in our second home in Nevada. Granted it's a dust free experience but something's better than nothing. With that being said...how about a webcam link?

John Graham, the guy who does the playa webcam, has it up and running from Center Camp.

For whatever reason, BMORG isn't advertising the live webcam from Center Camp that look at stuff out on the playa. To connect to it, you
need Quicktime. Launch QT, go to the "File" drop down menu and select "Open URL" Plug this url in: rtsp://qtss.telascience.org/live.sdp and
you're good to go. Tell your friends. John appears to be streaming BMIR.

I'm pretty sure it only works with Quicktime.

Again if you know of other links or resources share them here!
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

dana

Post by dana » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:24 pm

(in whiney voice):

Oh, sure way to rub it in...
I'm here in Colorado with you m'an.
Why? Working my ass off, short on time and money and taking off for Hawaii in 3 weeks, not to mention fighting off the vicious bears trying to dismantle my place.
(and I couldn't get my PC to work the live feed)

Next year? Nope. Fucking missing another year. Doing a raft/kayak trip on the Grand.

I hope these are good reasons. They sound a little thin.
(at least one more trip to Bman??? please??)

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:56 pm

dana wrote:(in whiney voice):

Oh, sure way to rub it in...
I'm here in Colorado with you m'an.
Why? Working my ass off, short on time and money and taking off for Hawaii in 3 weeks, not to mention fighting off the vicious bears trying to dismantle my place.
(and I couldn't get my PC to work the live feed)

Next year? Nope. Fucking missing another year. Doing a raft/kayak trip on the Grand.

I hope these are good reasons. They sound a little thin.
(at least one more trip to Bman??? please??)
seems your priorities are backwards.....whine about not going, but, take the time and money for other stuff.

Not that I don't sympathize, though.

I'm leaving in 3 hours........5 hour drive, and, "I'm HHHHHHOOOOOOOMMMMMMEEEEEEEEE" (Jack Nicholson voice)
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

sprite

Post by sprite » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:22 pm

I'm here at home with a two-month old. Too young to leave behind or to bring with. Next year...

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:06 pm

I'm busy working for Suzy Block.

Next year for sure.

( I know, I keep saying that.)
[url=http://www.digicastinternational.com][img]http://76.14.56.240/digiweb/button10.jpg[/img][/url]

"[i][b]The art is in the digit![/b][/i]"

[url=http://eplaya.burningman.com/search.php?search_author=THE+ORIGINAL+DIGIMAN]The Original Digiman[/url]

2banerd

Post by 2banerd » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:40 pm

I was so excited in march when I was hoping to be part of the medical team at bm. however we did not get the contract..... hope everybody is healthy without me there...

dragonflyannie
Burning Since: 2000

Post by dragonflyannie » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:16 pm

Growing a baby burner and due in 2 months! I know some prego women are much more daring then me and still go at this point during pregnancy, but I'm such an incubator already I can't fathom the thought of the heat!

If anything is worth not going to me, it would be this... although I am still whiny and emotional about missing it... would have been burn #8! Next year.

Thanx Kinetic for that link! Works for me!

smohq

Post by smohq » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:16 am

Our reason for not being there again this year is 15 months old. Old enough to leave with grandma for a week, but we couldn't bear to be away from her that long. So all three of us WILL be there next year.

And once again, thank you HyperJohn! Will there be a HyperJohn IRC channel again this year?
In Dust We Trust

julie_c

Post by julie_c » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:05 am

I'm a biker byatch now, Street Vibrations next month with a putt out to the playa hopefully! planning on going back to BM in 2010...giving it a rest.

jennydeluxe

Post by jennydeluxe » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:45 am

havent managed to make it back since 2005=/ bah! anyone heard of/going to balsa man? or is there anything else happenin on a smaller scale?

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:34 am

Primary reason: money.
Secondary reason: regionals.

If I lived closer to Reno or could afford it, I would go every year but being in Dallas and having been to seven (or eight?) burns, I don't have that feeling of "missing out" I had in the early years. Nowdays I'd rather go every few years and really do it right (as far as contributing as opposed to just attending -- which is fine if that's what you want to do but I never want to just attend again). There are a few regionals throughout the year that are close enough and cheap enough to do as often as I want and that and having a fairly large and tight-knit local burner community are enough for me between the big burns. Burning Man will be there next year (and it will always be better than the year before, snicker).
It's what you make it.

nogganoodle
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Booby Bar, UK Envoy

Post by nogganoodle » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:57 am

MONEY MONEY MONEY! Thats why I aint going
You don't need a license to drive a sandwich

Molz

Post by Molz » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:24 am

Imagine my surprise - I was wasting time at working being sad that I wasn't on the playa so I was reading the eplaya for solace and I find a picture of my husband and baby!

I am already really missing the playa but just to see them makes me remember why I can't go this year. Our little family is too tight - as in close but also as in no money because daddy stays home with little girl.

He'll go back to work in a couple months and next year we will be there again!

Can't get the url to work. Hopefully later.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:33 pm

Actually, that is a really nice picture of the 2 of them.

I'd stay home too.
[url=http://www.digicastinternational.com][img]http://76.14.56.240/digiweb/button10.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://eplaya.burningman.com/search.php?search_author=THE+ORIGINAL+DIGIMAN]The Original Digiman[/url]

dana

Post by dana » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:37 pm

DVD Burner wrote: I'd stay home too.
Ripped the words right outta my mouth.
The picture of Dad hypnotizing the baby with giant bubbles is just too sweet.

Yep. priorities - pretty important to keep focused on and balanced. They're fluid and need adjusting sometimes.

philosopher

Post by philosopher » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:46 am

Recovering from surgery. So much wanted to be there, especially for the new Post Office Extreme in 9:00 Plaza.

Wife and I are already planning for next year.

philosopher

Post by philosopher » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:51 am

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that you can send email to the playa and it will be delivered (we hope) telegram-style:

http://www.brcpostoffice.com/arttoplaya

Check it out.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:55 pm

Came back from 6 month overseas stay just for the event, was highly motivated, then my extended family asked me to do something and couldn't say no. Then, out of the blue, yesterday my Mom got a blood clot on the brain and I'm so glad I wasn't up on the playa unable to be reached (I never would have thought about storing my BM location on the Playa info computer in case of emergency) and then come home to find out I missed the opportunity to give as much love to Mom as I can.

betrdanevr

Post by betrdanevr » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:37 pm

Best of luck, and I hope your mother improves really soon!

Molz

Post by Molz » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:38 pm

DoctorIknow - I hope your mom is doing well.

A few years ago when my mom was waiting for her back surgery and unable to move, I went to Playa anyway since I felt there was nothing I could do for her at home. I had a lot of miserable moments out there wondering if I did the right thing. It was all Ok in the end but it really change the experince that year for me. So choosing your family is just for the best sometimes. Priorities.

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:45 pm

Work won't let me go because this is the time the students move back into the dorms, and they want the full crew available. What with my car being (un)dead, and the gas prices, I don't have the money anyway. :(

Next year doesn't look too good, either, since the University isn't likely to change the move in date, nor is Burning Man likely to change when it takes place. Maybe I will win a bunch of money or change jobs by then...?
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

RingO'Fire

Post by RingO'Fire » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:00 am

Primary reason: School (I'd have to miss a week of class)
Secondary reason: Funds (It's really expensive)
Tertiary reason: Distance (It's a long way from where I live. See also secondary reason.)
Quaternary reason: Regionals (I can still hang out and party with cool burner folk, even though it ain't the same as the "Big" Burning Man).

I graduate in December 2009. So, I'm thinking that I'll be there next in 2010.
...but it seemed like such a good idea at the time...

joel the ornery
Burning Since: 1998
Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares

Post by joel the ornery » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:44 am

must get reduction kiln built.

helitack
Burning Since: 2004

Post by helitack » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:45 am

Because my truck cost $5000 for a new engine and front axle.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:59 am

What did you do?

Hit a tree?

--Ever--
Burning Since: 2003

Post by --Ever-- » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:06 pm

First burn my GF and I have missed in years. We've had planned to attend this year up until about three weeks ago. We finally found a good apartment to move into in SF and had to hop on it. To make matters worse (actually better..) is that she all the sudden landed some really, really career-guiding good events that she couldn't pass up.

We're still considering a rogue trip for Friday/Saturday but it's just looking slim. We don't even know where our any of our gear is.

The BM blogs and wi-fi updates have really made things both worse and better for us. If anything, we're both just trying to remain optimistic as we divert the knots-in-our-stomach feelings of missing the event into into deep reflection of where we've been and where we're headed.

Still, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't love a hug. I think we're going to try to make the small burn at Baker's Beach this Saturday.

http://laughingsquid.com/balsa-man-a-di ... community/
Our truest life is in our dreams awake.

smohq

Post by smohq » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:44 am

From Molz

Smohq is out in the front yard making a mini man for us to burn. Now that Lucy is sleeping I'm so sad not to be there. The nights are the worst . The dreams and the thoughts of what would I be doing if I were there huant my mind.

I am glad and sad for the extra internet coverage this year. it's a mixed blessing.
In Dust We Trust

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:03 am

--Ever-- wrote:First burn my GF and I have missed in years.
Yeah the first year you don't go is the most difficult one. It gets better. :)
It's what you make it.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:12 am

HughMungus wrote:
--Ever-- wrote:First burn my GF and I have missed in years.
Yeah the first year you don't go is the most difficult one. It gets better. :)
Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Nothing wrong with not going every once in awhile.

kSea flux

Post by kSea flux » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:20 pm

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder?

I'm the fresh meat on this list, just trying to get my fix. 2003 was my first year, then '05 I was diverted to volunteer for a Katrina evacuee camp in Austin. Hit '06 & '07 - '07 spent mostly holding down our huge circus tent at the Red Nose District...

This year, however, as much as I wanted to go - I'm consumed in creating my dream - www.bigtopmagazine.com

At least I get to watch my good friends pup - Bobzilla of BMIR.

That's it - just wanted to chime in with a brief introduction, which seems to have turned more into a whine, while I prefer whiskey.

Back to work. Next year is always better! (Especially after missing the previous one...)

~ kSea
"He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed."
~ Albert Einstein
bigtopmagazine.com

Return to “Open Discussion”