So...you didn't get to go this year?

All things outside of Burning Man.
Generic Anonymity

Post by Generic Anonymity » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:36 pm

Didn't really know much about BM until this year. I had heard it in passing but I never knew where or when it was. I pretty much didn't know what it was then, either.

But this year, my boyfriend got to go to the playa ^_^ I'm sure he's having a great time right now.
Since he was going, my interest in what the festival might be was renewed.
I read everything I could, and now I want to go, too.
I might have been able to go this year, but I'd rather have more than a day or two to get prepared and all.

So we're planning on going together for BM'09 =)

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:06 pm

kSea flux wrote:I'm the fresh meat on this list, just trying to get my fix.
Welcome!
It's what you make it.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:07 pm

Generic Anonymity wrote:I might have been able to go this year, but I'd rather have more than a day or two to get prepared and all.
You did the right thing. Better to go prepared than to go half-assed. And next year you'll have your veteran boyfriend to lead the way.
It's what you make it.

helitack
Burning Since: 2004

Post by helitack » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:16 am

DVD Burner wrote:What did you do?

Hit a tree?
went into a dry wash during a sandstorm at 50+ mph

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:58 am

helitack wrote:

Hit a tree?
The truck's on it's way to being fixed...did you get hurt though?
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

gypsy68

Post by gypsy68 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:05 pm

2005 was the last year I went. In 06 & 07 I just didn't have the money to spend. Last year at this time, I decided I was going in 08. October 07 my company had lay offs, and after 10 years, I was out of a job. As I am still looking for work, and money is extra tight, this year was out.

There is no way I am missing out next year!

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:59 am

I didn't go this year because of a couple factors.
One, I'm working on the Obama campaign as a volunteer.
Two, I'm on another, more personal campaign to get my horse Meritage a National title or two. Showing on the breed A-circuit is <i>expensive</i>!!

Fortunately, however, the effort and expense are bearing fruit. Meritage is the NW regional Half-Andalusian high-point champion, with multiple titles in English and Western Pleasure (open and amateur divisions) and a two-time Champion halter horse. He also came home from the Canadian Nationals with 11 National titles and two Reserve Championships.
He was drawing byes after five consecutive Championship runs, which is to say people were withdrawing their horses from classes when they saw he was entered. They just couldn't compete with him.
So now we're heading for the American Nationals in about a month and a half and hoping he'll come home with at least two or three National Championships.

Nope, sorry, I can't breed him. He's a gelding. But, we can maybe turn those Championships into sponsorships and he'll be at least self-supporting. We already have three months worth of grain from his winnings at the Regional show last weekend, and next year's Canadian Nationals are hinting at offering cash prizes. The American branch of IALHA will likely follow suit.

What are my plans for Burning Man '09?
Don't know. At this point, my financial situation isn't exactly top notch, though I still have all of my gear (and I'm still working on Nothing-to-Prove, my werewolf puppet). My camping chops are still up to snuff. Maybe after I get the fuel cell installed in my vehicle I'll have improved mileage enough to not worry about the dearth of biofuel stations between Eugene and Gerlach. Fuel is my biggest obstacle, understandably.

I like the Evolution theme — anything to make steam come out of the fundies' ears is good — but I'm not sure what I'd do with it. Or to hekk with it, I can still do the werewolf and say she's a wolf-human recombinant. There'll be people dressed as pirates, bunnies and devils, some, all or none of which may have any bearing on the theme. The theme is clever but ultimately, optional.

[Checking moon phases]
Waxing crescent in Scorpio to waxing gibbous in Capricorn. Ah! Evolution, waxing moon! Nice touch. Be sure to light up during the early week, don't be a darktard!
Anyway... Wish I could have come this year, not sorry I didn't, and we'll say 50-50 chance of coming next year.

So was there a lot of art/camp/port-a-potties vandalism this year? Or has the spectre of Addis been truly laid to rest?
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:54 am

Good morning... while the man may already be in ashes, the event ain't over until the temple is burnt.

Last night instead of being on the playa, I was out and about on the Northside of Denver halfway between Denver and Boulder. Now there's some pretty views of the city at night up by Jeffco Airport....you can see all the way to downtown Denver and millions of lights, but as pretty as it was it still paled in comparison to BRC at night. Last night...while I was with good company, still sucked.

My real reasons for not going? It's been a hell of a year. 1 year ago right before the event I lost my job. I was stuck in Kansas City and was miserable. In 1 year's time I've lived in Minneapolis, BFE Nebraska, and now Arvada, Colorado. I broke off relationships with family and friends and I didn't talk to my mother or sister for 7 months, they didn't even know I had moved until 2 months after I was gone. I lost a house I didn't really want, I lost my cool SUV, hell I don't even own a car now. I got sued for $7.2 Million dollars by a crooked attorney over a minor fender bender he tried to milk. (In the end, they got $100,000 and a nice notice from the attorneys to take their suit and go fuck themselves with it as they were overcomped by $94,000 as it was!) I had a real life bounty hunter dispatched to find me to repo my truck. And I had to file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy on top of it all. And things got so bad I even applied for a job paying minimum wage to milk cows. And I got turned down for that one and turned down for a job working for Farmland on the slaughterhouse floor which is the last job I ever wanted to do but I applied for anyway. Yep, this past year sucked serious ass.

Yet here I am one year later in Denver with a new job as a Corporate Trainer. I'm unshackled from credit card debt. I've got a fresh start, I've met some great people out here, and things are looking up. And for the first time in years I'm honestly happy again. And without mountains of debt to hold me back, my fiancee and I are planning to not only come back to BRC, but we're GOING TO GET MARRIED out there next year. We wanted to do it this year...but you can figure out why it didn't happen.

In any case...BM for 2009 should be pretty damn special. It might be a year away, but already I'm really looking forward to it.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:56 am

Kinetic V wrote:It's been a hell of a year.
That sucks. Sorry.
In any case...BM for 2009 should be pretty damn special. It might be a year away, but already I'm really looking forward to it.
Awesome. I want to get married at burning man, too. Yes, I am a burner geek.
It's what you make it.

helitack

Post by helitack » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:24 am

Kinetic V wrote:
helitack wrote:

Hit a tree?
The truck's on it's way to being fixed...did you get hurt though?
yep

Return to “Open Discussion”