Ethical Question--Please deposit 2 cents...

All things outside of Burning Man.
Wind_Borne

Post by Wind_Borne » Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:16 pm

Been there. Here's what I did:

I bought a strength training machine (similar to a bowflex) online; and it was pricey. A few days after it arrived a second machine arrived. I checked my credit card transactions online and found that I had been charged for just one machine. But I really did not need two of these things. So I called up the company and explained what had happened. The company told me that they would send UPS out to pick up the second machine, at their expense naturally.

It is just courtesy to alert someone to harmful oversight (e.g. "Excuse me, don't forget your purse!").
It is also reasonable that people or companies absorb the cost of their mistakes (in this case pay for the retrieval of the machine).

It is not reasonable to take advantage of the company's mistake without making a good faith effort to correct it. You agreed to the trade of money for goods because you felt the goods were more valuable to you than the money. If it were otherwise, you would not have bought them! To claim a right to expoit the error because the goods were expensive is just a rationalization.

BTW, I'm still waiting for that second machine to be picked up ;-)
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
-- George Washington

68barracuda

Post by 68barracuda » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:21 am

Hmmm...

Call the book company and get a return authorization number by telling them the class has been cancelled so you don't get hit with a restocking fee. When the money comes in take to liquor store and buy a case of Vodka for BM 2004.

Mike
Unless you push your limits how will you ever know where they are?

welcome to my lair.. said the spider to the fly...

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:45 am

Wind_Borne wrote: BTW, I'm still waiting for that second machine to be picked up
Oh oh oh! <raises hand and waves arm wildly>

Can I shoot it?

pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease?
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

AuldAne

Post by AuldAne » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:26 pm

Ooh, ooh, ethics!

If you find $100 lying on the ground, with a "if found please return to" note attached to it, do you return it?

How do you differentiate the above from theft? What if it was lying on their front lawn? Or if you saw them drop it? How about if it was lying on a table in a cafe and they were sitting at that table facing the other direction? Do you take it? How much carelessness do they have to show before it is no longer theft?

How does the character of the person who lost it affect you decision? What if they were just laid off, four kids, needed the money to pay the rent? What if they were Mr. Moneybags and didn't care? What if they were (insert your favorite boogeyman here)? How bad, rich, or callous do they have to be to make it not theft?

What if you give the money to a worthy cause? What if you give it to a poor person, but the person who originally lost it was just as poor? How much net good do you have to do with it before it is no longer theft?

Note: I'm not trying to imply my own judgement by my rhetoric. Really, I'm just curious where you draw the line.
[A man] would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. - Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Wind_Borne

Post by Wind_Borne » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:58 am

Another story...

One day when I was truly a starving student, and by starving I mean that I had not eaten a meal in two days, I was walking along the street to class trying to figure out how I could buy a meal and other sundries. I had just taken on a new job; but I would not get my first paycheck until the following week. So I'm walking along, thinking about pawning my camera and such, when about 20 feet away on the sidewalk I see a bill, legal tender. I'm not sure at first what denomination it is, but it looks a lot like a hundred dollar bill. My intention of course is to pick it up; my concern is that someone else will reach it first. But, as it turns out, no one else has noticed it. So as I reach the bill I step on it, and then reach down and pick it up. Indeed it is a hundred dollar bill -- a fair bit of cash to a student in 1982!

In this case there was no ethical concern -- there was no sign of who had lost the bill. So I kept the money and went to Fat Burger for lunch.

But I knew that when I picked up that bill I also picked up a karmic duty to pay it forward.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
-- George Washington

enthropic

A Good question?

Post by enthropic » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:49 pm

Chai posted
"Does anyone else envision the State Board of Alcohol Beverage Control paying a visit to the Playa next year?"

A good question?
Now what would be the reprecusions? Do all the free bars and alcohol consumption break any laws?

2¢please...
Knothing is seperate. Everything is One.
Illusion blinds us. Understanding is enlightenment.
James

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:52 pm

ONe year ago, today.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

sparkletarte

Post by sparkletarte » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:57 pm

What is up with you guys pulling out all of these old threads?

I actually got excited for a second and thought Chai guy had returned.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:01 pm

Sorry sparkle, I miss chaiguy too.

As I explained on the fc*k thread, I'm bored but can't leave work yet.

Plus I'm trying to stir up stuff before I'm seperated from the board for 2 days.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Open Discussion”