Anybody else here on FaceBook too?

All things outside of Burning Man.
Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Anybody else here on FaceBook too?

Post by Elderberry » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:37 am

Was just wondering if anybody else on eplaya was also on face book. I joined there a few months ago and it's one of the best social networking sites I've seen.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

janicels

Post by janicels » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:15 pm

me
whooo we are camping with greeters....it will be great

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:41 pm

I am, but you won't find Anti M.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:06 pm

Me2 But you wont find DVD Burner. :lol:

and all of the coolest eplayans and burners are friends in my network there and I'm keeping it that way by not telling you who I am there. :P
[url=http://www.digicastinternational.com][img]http://76.14.56.240/digiweb/button10.jpg[/img][/url]

"[i][b]The art is in the digit![/b][/i]"

[url=http://eplaya.burningman.com/search.php?search_author=THE+ORIGINAL+DIGIMAN]The Original Digiman[/url]

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:09 pm

i am simon no matter where i go....it's a curse.
Frida Be You & Me

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:14 pm

yup... there I am... right there with DVD Burner in my friends list... ;-)
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:23 pm

:lol:
[url=http://www.digicastinternational.com][img]http://76.14.56.240/digiweb/button10.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://eplaya.burningman.com/search.php?search_author=THE+ORIGINAL+DIGIMAN]The Original Digiman[/url]

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:29 pm

I have one friend on Facebook.
50 or so on Myspace

fciron

Post by fciron » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:59 pm

FaceBook, myspace, myartspace, artmetal, flickr, Twitter, Tribe, Gmail, Yahoo, and probably some crap I've forgotten about.

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:36 pm

yep.

AsukaLily

Post by AsukaLily » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:52 pm

I exist there as well but I never really use it......maybe I should start
People like you should come wrapped in caution tape!

madmatt

Post by madmatt » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:52 pm

I have created a Facebook group for our Burning Man camp (Mystikal Misfits) and we're using it for camp planning and communication. So far, so good.

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:59 pm

fciron wrote:FaceBook, myspace, myartspace, artmetal, flickr, Twitter, Tribe, Gmail, Yahoo, and probably some crap I've forgotten about.
also DeviantArt here...and a furry site... :P
Burning Man 2003-19; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

mercury_988

Post by mercury_988 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:07 pm

Im xmercuryx on deviantart and alexis ellison on facebook!

SonOfUgly

Post by SonOfUgly » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:52 pm

yea

xenarchi

Post by xenarchi » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:48 am

sure am

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:59 am

I'm on deviant art as maggiemayday.

Igneouss
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Igneouss » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:47 pm

I'm scattered here and there. On facebook I have a cool friend from those above in this thread.

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:45 am

me, with loads of BM piccies, but under my default world name

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:47 am

http://www.pcworld.com/article/140182/f ... k=rel_news

Facebook's Beacon More Intrusive Than Previously Thought

Juan Carlos Perez
Nov 30, 2007 6:10 pm

A Computer Associates security researcher is sounding the alarm that Facebook's controversial Beacon online ad system goes much further than anyone has imagined in tracking people's Web activities outside the popular social networking site.

Beacon will report back to Facebook on members' activities on third-party sites that participate in Beacon even if the users are logged off from Facebook and have declined having their activities broadcast to their Facebook friends.

That's the finding published on Friday by Stefan Berteau, senior research engineer at CA's Threat Research Group in a note summarizing tests he conducted.

Of particular concern is that users aren't informed that data on their activities at these sites is flowing back to Facebook, nor given the option to block that information from being transmitted, Berteau said in an interview.

"It can happen completely without their knowledge, unless they are examining their network traffic at a very low level," Berteau said.

The CA news comes after Facebook scrambled on Thursday night to tweak Beacon in order to calm complaints from privacy groups and Facebook users that the ad system is too intrusive and too confusing to opt out of.

Beacon is a major part of the Facebook Ads platform that Facebook introduced with much fanfare several weeks ago. Beacon tracks certain activities of Facebook users on more than 40 participating Web sites, including those of Blockbuster and Fandango, and reports those activities to the users' set of Facebook friends, unless told not to do so.

Off-Facebook activities that can be broadcast to one's Facebook friends include purchasing a product, signing up for a service and including an item on a wish list.

The program has been blasted by groups such as MoveOn.org and by individual users who have unwittingly broadcast information about recent purchases and other Web activities to their Facebook friends. This has led to some embarrassing situations, such as blowing the surprise of holiday presents.

On Thursday night, Facebook tweaked Beacon to make its workings more explicit to Facebook users and to make it easier to nix a broadcast message and opt out of having activities tracked on specific Web sites. Facebook didn't go all the way to providing a general opt-out option for the entire Beacon program, as some had hoped.

But Berteau's investigation reveals that Beacon is more intrusive and stealthy than anyone had imagined.

In his note, titled "Facebook's Misrepresentation of Beacon's Threat to Privacy: Tracking users who opt out or are not logged in," he explains that he created an account on Conde Nast's food site Epicurious.com, a site participating in Beacon, and saved three recipes as favorites.

He saved the first recipe while logged in to Facebook, and he opted out of having it broadcast to his friends on Facebook. He saved the second recipe after closing the Facebook window, but without logging off from Epicurious or ending the browser session, and again declined broadcasting it to his friends. Then he logged out of Facebook and saved the third recipe. This time, no Facebook alert appeared asking if he wanted the information displayed to his friends.

After checking his network traffic logs, Berteau saw that in all three cases, information about his activities was reported back to Facebook, although not to his friends. That information included where he was on Epicurious, the action he had just taken and his Facebook account name.

"The first two cases involve the transmission of user data despite 'No thanks' having been selected on the opt-out dialog, and are causes for deep concern. They pale, however, in comparison to the third case, where Facebook was receiving data about my online habits while I was not logged in, and was doing so silently, without even alerting me to the cross-site communication," he wrote in the research note.

If a user has ever checked the option for Facebook to "remember me" -- which saves the user from having to log on to the site upon every return to it -- Facebook can tie his activities on third-party Beacon sites directly to him, even if he's logged off and has opted out of the broadcast. If he has never chosen this option, the information still flows back to Facebook, although without it being tied to his Facebook ID, according to Berteau.

Berteau wasn't able to determine where this data flows to in Facebook. "That's part of the concern here," he said in the interview. He repeated the Epicurious experiment with Kongregate.com, another Beacon-affiliated site, and got similar results.

In e-mail correspondence with Facebook's privacy department, Berteau was told, among other things, that "as long as you are logged out of Facebook, no actions you have taken on other websites can be sent to Facebook."

A similar statement was made by a high-ranking Facebook official on Thursday. In an interview with The New York Times, Chamath Palihapitiya, vice president of product marketing and operations at Facebook, was asked whether Facebook would receive information about a user's purchase if the user declined to broadcast the purchase to his Facebook friends.

His answer: "Absolutely not. One of the things we are still trying to do is dispel a lot of misinformation that is being propagated unnecessarily."

Facebook didn't immediately reply to requests for comment from IDG News Service.

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:55 am

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/pcworld/2009 ... lcomplaint

Facebook Privacy Change Sparks Federal Complaint (PC World)

* Posted on Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:37PM EST

- The backlash against Facebook's updated privacy policies is about to expand. The Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) is preparing to file a formal complaint with the Federal Trade Commission over the social network's updated licenses, PC World has learned.

"We think that Facebook should go back to its original terms of service," says EPIC Executive Director Marc Rotenberg.

EPIC expects to have its complaint submitted to the FTC by the end of Tuesday.

Wide-Reaching Reaction

The wave of reaction, of course, is hardly limited to official organizations. More than 38,000 Facebook users have joined a user group protesting the change, and countless blogs and news sites have written extensively about their concerns. The issue comes down to a couple of alterations within the company's terms of use that, it would seem, give Facebook eternal ownership of your personal content--even if you decide to delete your account.

The changes were actually made in early February but not widely noticed until Sunday, when The Consumerist's Chris Walters stumbled upon the subtly shifted language. The section in question explains how Facebook has an "irrevocable, perpetual" license to use your "name, likeness, and image" in essentially any way, including within promotions or external advertising.

That clause, Walters noted, wasn't new. What had changed was that a sentence at the end of the paragraph was now mysteriously missing. The deleted line stated that the license would "automatically expire" if you removed your content. With that line omitted, Facebook's license to use your content is simply "perpetual" and "irrevocable," even decades after you delete your stuff.

Damage Control Doubt

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has attempted to calm the concerns, posting a blog entry stating that "people own their information" and that Facebook "wouldn't share [it] in a way you wouldn't want." As an example of why the controversial clause is needed in its updated form, Zuckerberg explains that even if you were to delete your account, any messages you had sent to a friend would still remain in his inbox--so Facebook requires the expanded rights to make sure that could happen.

Isn't that a far cry, though, from anything that'd warrant retaining a "perpetual" license to "use, copy, publish, stream, store, retain, publicly perform or display, transmit, scan, reformat, modify, edit, frame, translate, excerpt, [and] adapt" any content you've ever uploaded, including the option to "use your name, likeness and image for any purpose"?

Something doesn't quite add up.

Social Network Comparisons

Hey, maybe I'm misreading this. Could Facebook just be catching up with social network standards? Could everyone be overreacting?

Turns out, no. MySpace's terms of use agreement grants the company the license to use your non-private content only within MySpace-related services. Moreover--and perhaps more important--MySpace notes that once you delete something from its site, it "will cease distribution as soon as practicable, and at such time when distribution ceases, the license will terminate."

With Twitter, the company's terms of service state it "claim no intellectual property rights over the material you provide" and that "you can remove your profile at any time by deleting your account."

Even YouTube, owned by privacy advocate punching bag Google, limits its license to use your content at will. The license will "terminate within a commercially reasonable time after you remove or delete your user videos," the service's terms of service say.

Facebook's neverending lease on your online life, then, isn't exactly the norm. Perhaps you can take comfort in the fact, though, that Facebook could change its policies again without ever telling you. "We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to change or delete portions of these terms at any time without further notice," Facebook's agreement says. "Your continued use of the Facebook service after any such changes constitutes your acceptance of the new terms."

Well, that's at least reassuring. Anyone else having Beacon flashbacks right now?

scotto
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Post by scotto » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:20 am

Yes - Listed as Scott Platsky
Burning Man is a Participatory Sport! Lead by Example!

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:21 pm

[youtube][/youtube]

Explains my reasoning of exactly why it is stupid to be upset about almost any policy on the internet. Trust me, there is absolutely nothing one can do about it.

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:24 am

DVD Burner wrote:Me2 But you wont find DVD Burner. :lol:

and all of the coolest eplayans and burners are friends in my network there and I'm keeping it that way by not telling you who I am there. :P
There is a god!!

:twisted:

And yes, I just succumbed as well.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:47 pm

ok. Now that we all know they're watching, does'nt it make it even MORE fun to fuck with them?

erroneous postings. made up non-words and companies, silly non-sequiters.

someone else's IP address.

have fun!
Frida Be You & Me

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:05 pm

Potential future film

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook#P ... uture_film

Sony Pictures, and The West Wing creator Aaron Sorkin, have confirmed they are in the process of developing a movie "about the founders of social networking site Facebook." Sorkin has set up his own account on the site, stating, "I honestly don't know how this works, which is why I'm here." The film so far, is untitled, and will be produced by Scott Rudin.[93] According to the Telegraph, the film is expected to focus on Zuckerberg, and 2,500 Facebook users have joined the movies group associated with Sorkin's film, suggesting "plot pointers, offering to help or even asking for a role in the film."[94] Sony was quick to refute suggestions that the film is a hoax (especially after musings that it might be a fake Sorkin account of which there are a number already),[93] with Steve Elzer saying, "We are developing the film that has been reported".[95] However, a spokesperson for Facebook said that, "We are routinely approached by writers and filmmakers interested in telling the Facebook story... At this point, we have not agreed to cooperate with any film project, but we are flattered by the interest."[96]

Monkeypoo
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Bahama Mamas!

Post by Monkeypoo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:25 pm

I don't like FaceBook, but I keep my account because my friends will hurt me if I delete myself. I'm listed under my mundane default name. I don't go there often. I prefer Myspace.

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:29 pm

Having become addicted to Twitter lately I was curious if anyone else was on there...besides Larry Harvey, an official Burning Man account, and a few others that I found? Same question for MySpace as well....I deleted my Facebook account due to the hoopla they've had over content control issues....anyway I was just curious who else was out there...(I know AntiM is on there...her bus project has me wishing I could do the same thing!)
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:53 pm

I twitter as maggiemayday.

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:45 pm

JamieMK is my ID on twitter if anyone has a partial interest....
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

Return to “Open Discussion”