Welcome President Obama

All things outside of Burning Man.
Post Reply
User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29351
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Post by ygmir » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:14 am

as dissapointing as that is, it's not surprising.
IMHO, the current admin. lives in a world of "theory", where, saying the right thing, is good........
not realizing, quite often, that reality doesn't work that way.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14630
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Post by Elderberry » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:59 am

I just want to go on record that I am still a staunch supporter of Obama; and have stopped trying to defend him to his detractors, as they are increasingly proving themselves to be right wing-nuts incapable of reason and logical thought. (i.e. birthers, tea-baggers, people that deny evolution, et.al.)

And Ygmir--his birth certificate WAS on all the front pages of all the papers and it is on-line now for all to see and the state of Hawaii has confirmed the certificate to be valid. Additionally, the newspaper announcement of birth is also available for anyone that wants to read it.

The end.

JK :)
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29351
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Post by ygmir » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:16 pm

jkisha wrote:I just want to go on record that I am still a staunch supporter of Obama; and have stopped trying to defend him to his detractors, as they are increasingly proving themselves to be right wing-nuts incapable of reason and logical thought. (i.e. birthers, tea-baggers, people that deny evolution, et.al.)

And Ygmir--his birth certificate WAS on all the front pages of all the papers and it is on-line now for all to see and the state of Hawaii has confirmed the certificate to be valid. Additionally, the newspaper announcement of birth is also available for anyone that wants to read it.

The end.

JK :)
hey there JK, nice to see you back.......

It is fun, though, to hit on the birth certificate thing and see how you all defend it.......like it was fun to talk about the "hanging chads" and such.......
some people get wound up so tight.......hahahaa, and, live with blinders......
if he's "their guy", he can do no wrong, if not, he can do no right........

goes for every prez I can remember........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:09 pm

Let me get this straight; If I condemn Obama for not getting out of Iraq as he promised, I'm a right-wing nut incapable of reason and logic. If I protest escalating taxes, I'm a kook. If I protest his socialist agenda, I'm stupid. Never mind the fact that socialism has NEVER worked. If I object to a new war in Pakistan and a continuation in Afghanistan, I'm an idiot. Never mind the fact that the wars have no real objective.
Yes, I imagine that you're getting tired of defending Obama to all us stupid and illogical nut-cases. I can easily understand you giving up. :wink:
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

User avatar
wedeliver
Posts: 1869
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:10 am
Burning Since: 1998
Location: Tionesta, CA
Contact:

Post by wedeliver » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:32 pm

can't sit still wrote:Let me get this straight; If I condemn Obama for not getting out of Iraq as he promised, I'm a right-wing nut incapable of reason and logic. If I protest escalating taxes, I'm a kook. If I protest his socialist agenda, I'm stupid. Never mind the fact that socialism has NEVER worked. If I object to a new war in Pakistan and a continuation in Afghanistan, I'm an idiot. Never mind the fact that the wars have no real objective.
Yes, I imagine that you're getting tired of defending Obama to all us stupid and illogical nut-cases. I can easily understand you giving up. :wink:
"right-wing nut" or should that be a right wingnut.

Obama said he wanted to began a phased reduction in troops and get the combat troops out by the end of August 2010. He has begun the reduction in troops. 12,000 by this fall.

So the first thing you say, that you condem Obama for not doing as he said is not correct. The debate cannot be had, and no agreement can be made, if we speak about issues that don't exist, or we twist facts to fit our arguement.

Image

and as far as your statement "I imagine that you're getting tired of defending Obama to all us stupid and illogical nut-cases."

No, not really, there doesn't seem to be very many of you "stupid and illogical nut-cases." (hey, you said it, I just be repeating.)

Come on now, you can do better then what you posted above and don't go throwing crap from some right wingnut rag, please use sources that are, how do I say. not not cases.

I look forward to an understanding, where instead of being at odds, we will all understand each other.

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:46 pm

I won't split hairs. He originally said out by march. If you can ignore Afghanistan and Pakistan, you're correct, no debate.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:40 pm

Well, now there's another birth certificate to stir the pot. http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=105764 And no, I don't want to discuss it. Being native born doesn't make him more competent or less competent. I fear that it will be used as a wedge by the military. Regardless of where he was born, I don't want to see any more fracturing of the country.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14630
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Post by Elderberry » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:01 pm

ygmir wrote:
hey there JK, nice to see you back.......

It is fun, though, to hit on the birth certificate thing and see how you all defend it.......like it was fun to talk about the "hanging chads" and such.......
some people get wound up so tight.......hahahaa, and, live with blinders......
if he's "their guy", he can do no wrong, if not, he can do no right........

goes for every prez I can remember........
Thanks Ygmir. It's not the same as the hanging chads, not even close. Facts are facts; to not accept a 'fact' as such only leads down the road to a wing nut conspiracy theorist.

The chads were fun to argue about because no matter which side you were on, deciding on the chads was subjective and the interpretation was subject to your point of view.

And the main reason I'm not on this board that much any more, is that I just can't take it anymore...it is so slow and clunky; it's a shame that it can't be upgraded.

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
Apollonaris Zeus
Posts: 3716
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:17 am

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:12 pm

Chad, you mean Obama birth certificate is from Chad?

I thought he was born in Kenya?

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29351
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Post by ygmir » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:16 pm

JK:
I wasn't comparing the chads vs citizenship issues, I was just saying it's fun to bring them up............

watich blind defenders, of either side, is always entertaining............

I'd bet, if it were McCain in the citizenship position, you'd be all over it, wondering why he would spend so much money to seal the records and such.........
but, really, it's moot.

I'd say most, even if he's proven to not be elidgable, don't wan't him removed simply due to the prospect of Biden/Pelosi, or, the civil unrest it would cause........

you say you're not on this "board" so much.
Have you taken up surfing?.......... :shock:
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29351
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Post by ygmir » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:17 pm

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:Chad, you mean Obama birth certificate is from Chad?

I thought he was born in Kenya?
you're thinking "hung like a chad" aren't you?..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:48 pm

Well, times are tight and GOV has to create as many jobs as possible. Jackie Kennedy and Laura Bush only needed one assistant. Michele is doing her part for the economy. Here's a list of her assistants;

1. $172,2000 - Sher, Susan (Chief Of Staff )
2. $140,000 - Frye, Jocelyn C. (Deputy Assistant to the President and Directo r of Policy And Projects For The First Lady)
3. $113,000 - Rogers, Desiree G. (Special Assistant to the President and White House Social Secretary)
4. $102,000 - Johnston, Camille Y. (Special Assistant to the President and Director of Communications for the First Lady)
5. Winter, Melissa E. (Special Assistant to the President and Deputy Chief Of Staff to the First Lady)
6. $90,000 - Medina , David S. (Deputy Chief Of Staff to the First Lady)
7. $84,000 - Lelyveld, Catherine M. (Director and Press Secretary to the First Lady)
8. $75,000 - Starkey, Frances M. (Director of Scheduling and Advance for the First Lady)
9. $70,000 - Sanders, Trooper (Deputy Director of Policy and Projects for the First Lady)
10. $65,000 - Burnough, Erinn J. (Deputy Director and Deputy Social Secretary)
11. Reinstein, Joseph B. (Deputy Director and Deputy Social Secretary)
12. $62,000 - Goodman, Jennifer R. ( Deputy Director of Scheduling and Events Coordinator For The First Lady)
13. $60,000 - Fitts, Alan O. (Deputy Director of Advance and Trip Director for the First Lady)
14. Lewis, Dana M. (Special Assistant and Personal Aide to the First Lady)
15. $52,500 - Mustaphi, Semonti M. (Associate Director and Deputy Press Secretary To The First Lady)
16. $50,000 - Jarvis, Kristen E. (Special Assistant for20Scheduling and Traveling Aide To The First Lady)
17. $45,000 - Lechtenberg, Tyler A. (Associate Director of Correspondence For The First Lady)
18. Tubman, Samantha (Deputy Associate Director, Social Office)
19. $40,000 - Boswell, Joseph J. (Executive Assistant to the Chief Of Staff to the First Lady)
20. $36,000 - Armbruster, Sally M. (Staff Assistant to the Social Secretary)
21. Bookey, Natalie (Staff Assistant)
22. Jackson, Deilia A. (Deputy Associate Director of Correspondence for the First Lady)

There has never been anyone in the White House at any time that has created such an army of20staffers whose sole duties are the facilitation of the First Lady's social life. One wonders why she needs so much help, at taxpayer expense, when even Hillary, only had three; Jackie Kennedy one; Laura Bush one; and prior to Mamie Eisenhower social help came from the President's own pocket.

Note: This does not include makeup artist Ingrid Grimes-Miles, 49, and "First Hairstylist" Johnny Wright, 31, both of whom traveled aboard Air Force One to Europe ...
A great patriot.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

User avatar
Box Burner
Posts: 5781
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 2:33 am
Location: Kentucky

Post by Box Burner » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:21 pm

I wonder if she could feel a pea under twenty mattresses.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

.

User avatar
cowboyangel
Posts: 6987
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 10:32 pm

Post by cowboyangel » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:28 pm

At least Bama jumped on evil Tiny Tim Geithner today for suggesting a tax increase for the middle class....(so he can continue rewarding his friends at Goldman Sachs with more giant bonuses!!!)
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:40 pm

Box Burner wrote:I wonder if she could feel a pea under twenty mattresses.
You would think that with all these people trying to aid and abet her social life, SOMEONE would have told her that the dress that she wore to the fish-n-chips place in London was atrocious. I know zero about fashion or ethnic fashion but, she picked something that would make Henry Higgins shudder.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

User avatar
Box Burner
Posts: 5781
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 2:33 am
Location: Kentucky

Post by Box Burner » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:57 pm

Republicans and democrats. Two sides of the same wooden nickel. They are only in it for the money folks. Don't let them fool you. Where do you think bush, shrub and obama have their finances? They are bailing out corporations (non-living entities) instead of real live Americans. And they are piling up the debt on American workers and their children and grandchildren. All the time that Reagan was calling the Soviet Union the Evil Empire, and rightly so, the communists were calling us Evil Capitalists. And Rightly so. If you follow capitalism, unchecked, to it's final conclusion it will eventually make workers into slaves. Mind you, all the people making the decisions either are, or have their interests in Banks, financial institutions and corporations. They have absolved themselves of resposability for their actions. After all, it's just business right?
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

.

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29351
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Post by ygmir » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:01 pm

well said, BB......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

arjaze
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:36 pm

Post by arjaze » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:18 pm

Mr. Obama is the hope , the change come..


_________________
california sex crimes lawyer

User avatar
Box Burner
Posts: 5781
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 2:33 am
Location: Kentucky

Post by Box Burner » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:30 am

Yeah everyone thought that the Pharoah was the hope that was gonna save Egypt from the famine too. but after he had stored all the peoples grain and the famine came, he sold their own grain back to them at prices so high that the people of Egypt and all of ther children and thier childrens children became slaves. And they and all that they owned became the property of the king of Egypt.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

.

User avatar
wedeliver
Posts: 1869
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:10 am
Burning Since: 1998
Location: Tionesta, CA
Contact:

Post by wedeliver » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:41 am

So what. What is the suggestion, should we have an armed revolt? Start a new fucking govt? Arn't we gonna end up at the same fucking place.

Govt is people, people make up govt. it isn't a mindless machine or even a machine with a mind, it is people. do they have self interest, of course, are they selfish and do they lie.. YES... no different then you or me.

so what is the suggestion, or are we just gonna bitch all day long.. oh, govt is screwing me as I wring my hands...

Look, the last asshole that was president sucked big time, the guy before had someone else suck, but it was the same game, just different players.

Bush, helped the rich, Obama will help the rich, but he will spread it around a bit more then bush.

This is the system we have. WE either make it work, and we try over and over and over and over, cause history shows us what can be.

It is funny that some of us will complain that Business gets hurt when workers fuck around on the computer during working hours, yet those same people will complain about business as being a greedy enity out to distroy our lives and make us all slaves.

What I see there is we just want to blame someone else for us not getting our fucking american dream. I know I do it... do you?

Ok, next
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29351
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Post by ygmir » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:44 am

I could see a constitutional convention.........

because, we're all to greedy to vote "all" the bums out.......to set in our dull existence, where cable tv and fast food, new cars and blackberry's, rule.......

I have no hope of that, but, I'd march for it.......

I'm with you on most of the above, WD. 8) 8)
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:39 am

Destroying the whole thing is an option but, the ensuing discontinuity, like an interregnum, would cause a lot of suffering. This article accuses obama of being a nihilist.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/08/ ... he_an.html
It's an idea to consider. I'm not claiming that it is true but it doesn't hurt to consider all ideas. The comments have a lot to say that is germain to the subject. Some claim that he wants to destroy the whole thing to create a "phoenix"
The complexity of our society makes it impossible to personally provide all of one's needs. That means that we have to rely on organizers. Power attracts the corrupted,,, simple as that.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:26 pm

Why does this say 52? I thought it was 48.
http://www.myspace.com/barackobama
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:58 pm

Here's a poll; http://js.polls.yahoo.com/quiz/quizifra ... l_id=46067
With Wall street controlling GOV, It's not a big surprise.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:51 pm

Here's some well-presented info on Obama;
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

Petrus Indianus
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:47 pm

Post by Petrus Indianus » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:58 pm

I love this guy, he's preparing the road for my coming

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:07 pm

"Admiral Mullen also expressed "concern" over the flagging public support for the Afghan War, as several polls have shown that the American public is now firmly opposed to the continuation of the eight-year long war. He insisted, however, that the war would continue, because the president has ordered that it will continue."
Hey,, Hey, here's the 'change' we can believe in.
http://news.antiwar.com/2009/08/23/afgh ... en-admits/
Flagging support, my ass. We never wanted a war in Afghanistan.
It's not succeeding,,,, it will never succeed. It's only purpose is to enrichen the war profiteers.
Well, what do you expect from a bimbo who doesn't have a clue what's going on?


The Audacity of Unawareness



Barack Obama, through his spokesman, claimed today that he was unaware of the tax day tea parties. Granted, the MSM (Main Stream Media) has done a good job in suppressing any sort of coverage ahead of time (and the little coverage they did provide was derisive at best) but how out of touch is the Community Organizer in Chief (COC?), really?

This much.

- He was unaware that he was attending a church (for 20 years) with a racist pastor who hates America .

- He was unaware that he was family friends with, and started his political career in the living room of, a domestic terrorist.

- He was unaware that he had invested in two speculative companies backed by some of his top donors right after taking office in 2005.

- He was unaware that his own aunt was living in the US illegally.

- He was unaware that his own brother lives on pennies a day in a hut in Kenya .

- He was unaware of the AIG bonuses that he and his administration approved and signed into a bill.

- He was unaware that the man he nominated to be his Secretary of Commerce was under investigation in a bribery scandal.

- He was unaware that the man he nominated to be his Secretary of Health and Human Services was a tax cheat.

- He was unaware that the man he nominated to be his Secretary of the Treasury was a tax cheat.

- He was unaware that the man he nominated to be the U.S. Trade Representative was a tax cheat.

- He was unaware that the woman he nominated to be his Chief Performance Officer was a tax cheat.

- He was unaware that the man he nominated to be #2 at the Environmental Protection Agency was under investigation for mismanaging $25 million in EPA grants.

- He appears to be unaware that he is totally destroying America due to his being unaware of reality.

For the love of God, there are people in comas that are more aware of world affairs than this guy.

"One Of The Penalties For Not Taking An Interest In Politics Is That You End Up Being Governed By Your Inferiors".
Plato 400 BC
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

can't sit still
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by can't sit still » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:09 pm

"Admiral Mullen also expressed "concern" over the flagging public support for the Afghan War, as several polls have shown that the American public is now firmly opposed to the continuation of the eight-year long war. He insisted, however, that the war would continue, because the president has ordered that it will continue."
Hey,, Hey, here's the 'change' we can believe in.
http://news.antiwar.com/2009/08/23/afgh ... en-admits/
Flagging support, my ass. We never wanted a war in Afghanistan.
It's not succeeding,,,, it will never succeed. It's only purpose is to enrichen the war profiteers.
Well, what do you expect from a bimbo who doesn't have a clue what's going on?


The Audacity of Unawareness



Barack Obama, through his spokesman, claimed today that he was unaware of the tax day tea parties. Granted, the MSM (Main Stream Media) has done a good job in suppressing any sort of coverage ahead of time (and the little coverage they did provide was derisive at best) but how out of touch is the Community Organizer in Chief (COC?), really?

This much.

- He was unaware that he was attending a church (for 20 years) with a racist pastor who hates America .

- He was unaware that he was family friends with, and started his political career in the living room of, a domestic terrorist.

- He was unaware that he had invested in two speculative companies backed by some of his top donors right after taking office in 2005.

- He was unaware that his own aunt was living in the US illegally.

- He was unaware that his own brother lives on pennies a day in a hut in Kenya .

- He was unaware of the AIG bonuses that he and his administration approved and signed into a bill.

- He was unaware that the man he nominated to be his Secretary of Commerce was under investigation in a bribery scandal.

- He was unaware that the man he nominated to be his Secretary of Health and Human Services was a tax cheat.

- He was unaware that the man he nominated to be his Secretary of the Treasury was a tax cheat.

- He was unaware that the man he nominated to be the U.S. Trade Representative was a tax cheat.

- He was unaware that the woman he nominated to be his Chief Performance Officer was a tax cheat.

- He was unaware that the man he nominated to be #2 at the Environmental Protection Agency was under investigation for mismanaging $25 million in EPA grants.

- He appears to be unaware that he is totally destroying America due to his being unaware of reality.

For the love of God, there are people in comas that are more aware of world affairs than this guy.

"One Of The Penalties For Not Taking An Interest In Politics Is That You End Up Being Governed By Your Inferiors".
Plato 400 BC
Not to worry though. He's got a playbook; The Post American World
http://www.multistalkervictims.org/obamabook.jpg
Dan
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

User avatar
cowboyangel
Posts: 6987
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 10:32 pm

Post by cowboyangel » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:10 pm

I love Chris Hedges. He punches Obama in the face, metaphorically, better than any dim witted right wing crackpot. Here you go....

Stop Begging Obama to Be Obama and Get Mad by Chris Hedges
Posted on September 14, 2009 by dandelionsalad

Bookmark and Share

http://dandelionsalad.wordpress.com/

by Chris Hedges
Featured Writer
Dandelion Salad
Truthdig
September 14, 2009

The right-wing accusations against Barack Obama are true. He is a socialist, although he practices socialism for corporations. He is squandering the country’s future with deficits that can never be repaid. He has retained and even bolstered our surveillance state to spy on Americans. He is forcing us to buy into a health care system that will enrich corporations and expand the abuse of our for-profit medical care. He will not stanch unemployment. He will not end our wars. He will not rebuild the nation. He is a tool of the corporate state.

The right wing is not wrong. It is not the problem. We are the problem. If we do not tap into the justifiable anger sweeping across the nation, if we do not militantly push back against corporate fraud and imperial wars that we cannot win or afford, the political vacuum we have created will be filled with right-wing lunatics and proto-fascists. The goons will inherit power not because they are astute, but because we are weak and inept.

Violence is a dark undercurrent of American history. It is exacerbated by war and economic decline. Violence is spreading outward from the killing fields in Iraq and Afghanistan to slowly tear apart individuals, families and communities. There is no immunity. The longer the wars continue, the longer the members of our working class are transformed by corporate overlords into serfs, the more violence will dominate the landscape. The slide into chaos and a police state will become inevitable.

The soldiers and Marines who return from Iraq and Afghanistan are often traumatized and then shipped back a few months later to be traumatized again. This was less frequent in Vietnam. Veterans, when they get out, search for the usual escape routes of alienation, addictions and medication. But there is also the escape route of violence. We risk creating a homegrown Freikorps, the demobilized German soldiers from World War I who violently tore down the edifice of the Weimar Republic and helped open the way to Nazism.

The Afghanistan and Iraq wars have unloaded hundreds of thousands of combat troops, suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder or major depression, back into society. According to a joint Veterans Affairs Department-University of San Francisco study published in July, 418,000 of the roughly 1.9 million service members who have fought in or supported the wars suffer from PTSD. As of August 2008, the latest data available, about a quarter-million military veterans were imprisoned on any given day—about 9.4 percent of the total daily imprisoned population, according to the National GAINS Center Forum on Combat Veterans, Trauma and the Justice System. There are 223,000 veterans in jail or prison cells on an average day, and an unknown number among the 4 million Americans on probation. They don’t have much to look forward to upon release. And if any of these incarcerated vets do not have PTSD when they are arrested, our corrections system will probably rectify the deficiency. Throw in the cocktail of unemployment, powerlessness, depression, alienation, anger, alcohol and drugs and you create thousands, if not tens of thousands, who will seek out violence the way an addict seeks out a bag of heroin.

War and conflict have marked most of my adult life. I know what prolonged exposure to industrial slaughter does to you. I know what it is to confront memories, buried deep within the subconscious, which jerk you awake at night, your heart racing and your body covered in sweat. I know what it is like to lie, unable to sleep, your heart pounding, trying to remember what it was that caused such terror. I know how it feels to be overcome by the vivid images of violence that make you wonder if the dream or the darkness around you is real. I know what it feels like to stumble through the day carrying a shock and horror, an awful cement-like despair, which you cannot shed. And I know how after a few nights like this you are left numb and exhausted, unable to connect with anyone around you, even those you love the most. I know how you drink or medicate yourself into a coma so you do not have to remember your dreams. And I know that great divide that opens between you and the rest of the world, especially the civilian world, which cannot imagine your pain and your hatred. I know how easily this hatred is directed toward those in that world.

There are minefields of stimulants for those who return from war. Smells, sounds, bridges, the whoosh of a helicopter, thrust you back to Iraq or another zone of slaughter, back to a time of terror and blood, back to the darkest regions of your heart, regions you wish did not exist. Life, on some days, is a simple battle to stay upright, to cope with memories and trauma that are unexplainable, probably unimaginable, to those seated across from you at the breakfast table. Families will watch these veterans fall silent, see the thousand-yard stare, and know they have again lost these men and women. They hope somehow they will come back. Some won’t. Those who cannot cope, even by using Zoloft or Paxil, blow their brains out with drugs, alcohol or a gun. More Vietnam veterans died from suicide in the years after the war than during the conflict itself. But it would be a mistake to blame this on Vietnam. War does this to you. It destroys part of you. You live maimed. If you are not able to live maimed, you check out.

But what happens in a society where everything conspires to check you out even when you make the herculean effort to integrate into the world of malls, celebrity gossip and too many brands of cereal on a supermarket shelf? What happens when the corporate state says that you can die in its wars but at home you are human refuse, that there is no job, no way to pay your medical bills or your mortgage, no hope? Then you retreat into your private hell of rage, terror and alienation. You do not return from the world of war. You yearn for its sleek and powerful weapons, its speed and noise, its ability to abolish the lines between sanity and madness. You long for the alluring, hallucinogenic landscapes of combat. You miss the psychedelic visions of carnage and suffering, the smells, sounds, shrieks, explosions and destruction that jolt you back to the present, which make you aware in ways you never were before. The thrill of violence, the God-like power that comes when you can take a human life with impunity, is matched against the pathetic existence of waiting for an unemployment check. You look to rejoin the fraternity of killers. Here. There. It no longer matters.

There is a yawning indifference at home about what is happening in Iraq and Afghanistan. The hollow language of heroism and glory, used by the war makers and often aped by those in the media, allows the nation to feel good about war, about “service.â€
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

User avatar
Apollonaris Zeus
Posts: 3716
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:17 am

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:11 am

they deserve Bush! really.

Obama damn best president we've had in a long time and this economy is cooking once again!

Of course, the right winger and republicans are already saying, "it was just a correction!"

I'm also glad they let Lehman Bros to go under. It just proved a point that we were at the edge of a big collapse unlike anything we've seen since the big one.

But i'll give them bush instead, really!

AIIZ

Post Reply

Return to “Open Discussion”