Politics, Everyday, All day... morning, noon and night....II

All things outside of Burning Man.
Jackass

Re: Politics, Everyday, All day... morning, noon and night....II

Post by Jackass » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:38 am

Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:42 pm

IMG_3870.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:31 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:13 pm

Somebody needs a throat punch ^^
Today
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Post by tatonka » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:03 pm

Tales told
Of battles won
Of things we've done
Caligula would grin

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:46 am

Frida Be You & Me

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:20 am

1491802667871.jpg
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:38 am

FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:47 am

1492602291320.jpeg
Frida Be You & Me

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:50 am

IMG_4105.JPG
Frida Be You & Me

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:34 am

From Wall Street's (and my) perspective, things are looking excellent out of The Swamp and ol' Foggy Bottom.

News/ Washington Wire

How The Trump Economy Is Off To A Record-Setting Pace
April 27, 2017
By CNBC, Contributor

Cash has been flowing fast and free in the nascent Trump presidency, even if some of the economic data points haven’t caught up yet.

Several measures indicate record activity in the days since the Republican captured the nation’s highest office in November.

Mergers and acquisitions have been in a frenzy, companies have been rushing to market with massive amounts of debt issuance, and, of course, major averages in the stock market continue to punch through new highs.

Close to 3,100 deals of various stripes have been completed in just the first 100 days.

Some of the first-100-days highlights, as compiled by Thomson Reuters:
•On the deal meter, M&A for cross-border transactions globally as well as U.S. company deals involving other countries both for inbound and outbound M&A are all at record levels for the first 100 days. The global cross-border dollar tally is at $344.2 billion.
•Issuance for both investment-grade and high-yield bonds is at record levels as well — $324.6 billion and nearly $88 billion, respectively.
•Follow-ons, or the issuance of more shares after companies first go public, is at a new high globally of $137.2 billion.
•Health care has been a particularly active sector, with a record 63 companies going to the equity markets to raise capital during the period. Those firms have raised $4.5 billion, more than seven times as much as during Barack Obama’s first term and more than double the next highest level — $2.1 billion during Bill Clinton’s initial four years.
•The Dow industrials are up more than 15% since Election Day, the best showing since Ronald Reagan. At the same time, market volatility has been low, with the CBOE Volatility Index falling 6.8% since the inauguration and tumbling some 43% since the Nov. 8 election.

‘Soft’ vs. ‘hard’ data

Market participants have been debating lately the differing signals shown between “soft” economic data — or sentiment surveys from businesses, consumers and investors — and “hard” data, or actual measurements of past activity and future plans.

The soft data have been relatively strong, if weakening a bit lately, while the hard data show significant pockets of weakness, particularly in consumer spending and productivity.

Wall Street is awaiting Friday’s GDP report, which is expected to show the U.S. economy expanded only about 1% in Q1.

Some economists fear that Trump’s pro-growth talk is going to give way to the reality that domestic growth is constrained by a number of factors that aren’t going to go away. After all, Trump already has run into problems enacting his aggressive agenda of tax cuts, regulatory rollbacks and infrastructure spending boosts, and there are other fundamental barriers in play as well.

“The amount of policy uncertainty is still really high,” Mark Doms, senior economist at Nomura Securities, said in an interview. “This can have a very significant effect on investment.”

Doms thinks economic growth will remain around the 2% level, rather than the 3% to 4% range Trump has been predicting.

A labor market nearing full employment and a stagnant worker base that is hampering productivity improvements will get in the way of above-trend growth, he added.

“We do not subscribe to that” notion that Trump will be able to meet his aggressive targets, Doms said.

“The math is hard. Math is not their friend.”

Growth could be faster than predicted

However, hopes persist that the upbeat sentiment will translate into activity, if not in Q1 then as the year progresses.

Goldman Sachs estimates that while the consensus for first-quarter growth is around 1%, that number is more likely around 1.4% and will accelerate through the year and average 2.7% in the next two quarters.

“Many investors are skeptical of strong survey data,” Goldman economist Daan Struyven said in a note to clients.

He believes “soft data contain important signals about the present growth pace.”

The firm measures growth through its current activity index, which blends hard and soft economic data.

That index indicates that “the upbeat signal from surveys about the current growth pace is probably genuine,” Struyven said, though he cautioned that some sentiment indicators can be influenced by political beliefs.

In other words, recent surveys have shown Republicans to be far more optimistic about the economy than Democrats are.

That may be skewing some of the surveys.

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:38 pm

:mrgreen:
Whatever you think… The juggler is still in prep school.

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:15 pm

FB_IMG_1493328046652.jpg
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:02 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:FB_IMG_1493328046652.jpg
hah yeah, he's the only prez. to golf a lot.....good one.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:10 pm

Though mostly symbolic, it does seem like he's personally benefiting from having it at his own resort though.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:16 pm

BBadger wrote:Though mostly symbolic, it does seem like he's personally benefiting from having it at his own resort though.
egad.....of the myriad of things to hack on him about....why not play there? if he likes it. I mean, until he's out of office, no one will know who played more golf or vacationed more or took more days of, (ad infinitum), than any other prez.
I'm not aiming at you BBadger, just sayin in general, the petty nit picking is sorta silly when there is real stuff.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Lonesomebri

Post by Lonesomebri » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:02 am

What's the real stuff? Do tell! Where is the border for acceptable complaint? Maybe the dude being a grifter across the board is significant in some small way, to some people. Yeah, other Presidents played golf and nobody complained, ha, tell yourself that, along with every other president was asked to show their birth certificate repeatedly, even after showing it. Oh, wait, that doesn't seem right? Would that fall under proper political discourse, or is that over reaching? At least no one here on eplaya was so callous as to demand a birth certificate from a sitting President. I can only imagine the outrage here directed at someone who would stoop to that level.
- Voltaire, Candide

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:34 am

ygmir wrote:
BBadger wrote:Though mostly symbolic, it does seem like he's personally benefiting from having it at his own resort though.
egad.....of the myriad of things to hack on him about....why not play there? if he likes it. I mean, until he's out of office, no one will know who played more golf or vacationed more or took more days of, (ad infinitum), than any other prez.
I'm not aiming at you BBadger, just sayin in general, the petty nit picking is sorta silly when there is real stuff.
Though funny enough, Trump did criticize Obama golfing a lot.

Overall though, yeah it doesn't really matter. It's kind of like people getting bent out of shape over CEOs' salaries, when they're all chump change compared to the amounts of money they're responsible for managing. A retreat to Mar-a-Lago or Camp David, or hosting something in Sunnylands (Obama) makes little difference.

The attention these things receive is probably more harmful than the actual costs of them. Big pointless visible distractions from actual problems. Hell, it probably plays to Trumps advantage to have people wasting time on such petty things.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:08 am

BBadger wrote:
ygmir wrote:
Though funny enough, Trump did criticize Obama golfing a lot.

Overall though, yeah it doesn't really matter. It's kind of like people getting bent out of shape over CEOs' salaries, when they're all chump change compared to the amounts of money they're responsible for managing. A retreat to Mar-a-Lago or Camp David, or hosting something in Sunnylands (Obama) makes little difference.

The attention these things receive is probably more harmful than the actual costs of them. Big pointless visible distractions from actual problems. Hell, it probably plays to Trumps advantage to have people wasting time on such petty things.
I think that's the key. it's a distraction.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:10 am

Lonesomebri wrote:What's the real stuff? Do tell! Where is the border for acceptable complaint? Maybe the dude being a grifter across the board is significant in some small way, to some people. Yeah, other Presidents played golf and nobody complained, ha, tell yourself that, along with every other president was asked to show their birth certificate repeatedly, even after showing it. Oh, wait, that doesn't seem right? Would that fall under proper political discourse, or is that over reaching? At least no one here on eplaya was so callous as to demand a birth certificate from a sitting President. I can only imagine the outrage here directed at someone who would stoop to that level.
Birth certificates, tax returns....it's always something...
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:29 am

the man is a flaming piece of shit, isn't that enough?

seriously

there is no defense, excuse or apologies for him.

period.

this is truth, to spin it any other way is either evil or horribly misinformed.

you choose which one.
Frida Be You & Me

lucky420
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:43 am

I vote flaming piece of shit.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:17 am

:mrgreen:
Flaming piece of shit then morphs with our help of course into a Machiavellian Prince S

Lonesomebri

Post by Lonesomebri » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:53 am

My guess is that if the Grifter in Chief and his little klan of miscreants decided to visit the playa during the Burn, with an eye to parceling off all that useless BLM land (their thinking, why do only Black Lives Matter out here?) to Disney/BMorg after seeing the movie, and in a mid-life crisis mode of attempting to impress their own kids who they have the hots for, or maybe just to grab some ....

.....there would be people, even those who know better, people posting here, assuring themselves that it would be transformative for that foul smelling suit full of trash, and a good show of inclusiveness.

And no one is gonna catch them trying to sneak across the wasteland, hiding in an RV toilet, or getting ripped off by fake scalped tickets, no way. As is his weekly vacation to his resorts, on the taxpayer dime. It will be the airport all the way, for those players, with amenities provided on arrival at a pnp camp. With about 2/3s of the seven degrees of separation from the org shaved off.

As is said here, none of this matters, not the golf, not the resort, not the pnp, not the movie, nothing matters! But, yeah, if it did, if, imagine, little things become the whole of larger, where there is an interconnection between things, not every event and issues being separate and small, and okay to overlook.
- Voltaire, Candide

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:07 pm

It's not about overlooking certain things, but paying them attention proportional to their effects. Many things are interconnected, but some carry greater weight than others. Often these relatively minor, emotional/moral outrages or publicity stunts receive a disproportional amount of attention, causing people to ignore or not even be aware of other issues such as laws that may have larger consequences.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon May 01, 2017 6:37 am

1493613614199.jpg
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon May 01, 2017 7:23 am

Frida Be You & Me

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Mon May 01, 2017 7:45 am

what a bozo
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

The Rod
Camp Name: THREAT

Post by The Rod » Mon May 01, 2017 8:05 am

BBadger wrote:It's not about overlooking certain things, but paying them attention proportional to their effects. Many things are interconnected, but some carry greater weight than others. Often these relatively minor, emotional/moral outrages or publicity stunts receive a disproportional amount of attention, causing people to ignore or not even be aware of other issues such as laws that may have larger consequences.
Often. Yes, sometimes.

On the other hand it is entirely possible for people to track multiple issues at the same time. Just cause someone points out how rediculous it is that the douchebag in chief has played however many days playing golf at his own resort costing taxpayers however much money doesn't automatically mean they're missing all the more important news.

Using the 'this is just distracting you from the bigger picture so it's not relevant' argument to reduce the validity of a claim has to be some kind of logical fallacy....

Lonesomebri

Post by Lonesomebri » Mon May 01, 2017 9:21 am

"People don't ask that question, but why was there the Civil War? Why could that one not have been worked out?" the Grifter in Chief asked.

I imagine it was all the little things, stuff that didn't matter............ to some people, and then, it did matter to others.
- Voltaire, Candide

Return to “Open Discussion”