Politics, Everyday, All day... morning, noon and night....II

All things outside of Burning Man.
Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:35 pm

ygmir wrote:
jkisha wrote:
dr.placebo wrote:According to a recent Pew Research poll, as reported by CNN: "The more often Americans go to church, the more likely they are to support the torture of suspected terrorists."

White evangelical protestants were the most likely to support this view.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/30/religi ... index.html
And they are also the ones that are against abortion and for the death penalty too.

JK
oh all those dirty bastards.............

how can they not "see the truth"?...........
Has nothing to do with seeing the truth, it has more to do about not being hypocritical.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

littleflower

Post by littleflower » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:07 pm

jkisha wrote:
ygmir wrote:
jkisha wrote: And they are also the ones that are against abortion and for the death penalty too.

JK

Has nothing to do with seeing the truth, it has more to do about not being hypocritical.

JK
hypocritical? how so?

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 pm

jkisha wrote:
ygmir wrote:
jkisha wrote: And they are also the ones that are against abortion and for the death penalty too.

JK

JK

careful with the "hypocritical" label.................glass houses and all..........
giggle......

I get such a kick out of seeing, how, as each party (two sides of the same wooden nickel) comes in and out of power, how, they accuse eachother of dastardly deeds and thoughts they did when on the other side of the power line.............

those who attacked are now apologists, or defenders...........

Yeah, sure, different "issue/labels"......but, same concept.......IMHO..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 pm

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:
dr.placebo wrote:According to a recent Pew Research poll, as reported by CNN: "The more often Americans go to church, the more likely they are to support the torture of suspected terrorists."

White evangelical protestants were the most likely to support this view.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/30/religi ... index.html
No doubt, that's why they love walking around with jesus hanging from the cross and from their necks!
They love to see people in pain especially Jesus and they love to torture themselves and those close to them.

They're against T-cell research using aborted invitro fertilize embryos because they don't want the crippled to be cured so they can collect donations to help cripples. that would cut into their income since they take a large percentage to buy their wine and bread waffers

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Mon May 04, 2009 4:49 pm

Has Obama had a positive effect on how America is perceived internationally? So far the effect has been nothing short of amazing! Here is one of those and hopefully a new beginning, but we have an old war horse in power Nethan-yahoo with a certain Mr. Lieberman as secretary that is an inhabitant of one of the illegal settlements on the West Bank.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/05/world ... ml?_r=1&hp

Hamas Says It Has Halted Rocket Strikes on Israel

EL-KHODARY and ETHAN BRONNER
Published: May 4, 2009
DAMASCUS, Syria — The leader of the militant Palestinian group Hamas said Monday that its fighters had stopped firing rockets at Israel for now. He also reached out in a limited way to the Obama administration and others in the West, saying the movement was seeking a state only in the areas Israel won in 1967.

One thing about both parties.

All it could take to sidetrack and end this cease fire is for to have Israel kill one hamas leader and its over. Natanyahu fully knows this age old Israel tactic and has used it many times to gain more land from the Palestinians.

AIIZ

dr.placebo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Post by dr.placebo » Mon May 04, 2009 5:51 pm

ygmir wrote:I get such a kick out of seeing, how, as each party (two sides of the same wooden nickel) comes in and out of power, how, they accuse eachother of dastardly deeds and thoughts they did when on the other side of the power line.............

Yeah, sure, different "issue/labels"......but, same concept.......IMHO..........
I'm not one who blindly defends or blindly attacks either party. My first real brush with politics was nearly being drafted for Vietnam, and I still loathe both Johnson and Nixon.

Still, the approval of torture (which it most certainly was) by Bush the Younger (Worst President Ever®) and his cronies is even below the Nixon administration. It does irk me that the guilty are likely to escape.

Which brings me to my current Schadenfreude for the Republicans. I confess to a certain guilty pleasure as they trash each other, as Rush recently did for Palin with his deathless prose: "They despise Sarah Palin, they fear Sarah Palin, they don't like her either."

If the ®epublicans are rebranding themselves, perhaps they need help with the rebranding iron? Or is that rebranding irony?

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Mon May 04, 2009 6:57 pm

How bout the cattle prod up the ass!

The economy is starting to bounce back and as I have said they will not be able to take any credit since they didn't help except to derail the effort.

Republicans are good at going to war and war is all they know.

they'er turning into a fringe group politcally.

AIIZ

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon May 04, 2009 7:27 pm

dr.placebo wrote:
ygmir wrote:I get such a kick out of seeing, how, as each party (two sides of the same wooden nickel) comes in and out of power, how, they accuse eachother of dastardly deeds and thoughts they did when on the other side of the power line.............

I'm not one who blindly defends or blindly attacks either party. My first real brush with politics was nearly being drafted for Vietnam, and I still loathe both Johnson and Nixon.

Still, the approval of torture (which it most certainly was) by Bush the Younger (Worst President Ever®) and his cronies is even below the Nixon administration. It does irk me that the guilty are likely to escape.

Which brings me to my current Schadenfreude for the Republicans. I confess to a certain guilty pleasure as they trash each other, as Rush recently did for Palin with his deathless prose: "They despise Sarah Palin, they fear Sarah Palin, they don't like her either."

If the ®epublicans are rebranding themselves, perhaps they need help with the rebranding iron? Or is that rebranding irony?
do you include all republicans, or, do you mean certain factions within that party?

seems, being the wonderfully accepting and middle of the road, loving fellow you are, you'd not necessarily paint all republicans with the same brush.....

kind of like saying all democrats are communists...........

IMHO.

Although not blindly attacking, (which, certainly, is a matter of opinion), you certainly seem to have rose colored glasses for the left wing.........
Understandable, of course, given your left leaning politics. Not saying anything is wrong with that...........

People on the right feel, I'm sure, the same way, and, feel just as justified and can back their claims just as well, about a whole host of issues.

AZ:

you say how good republicans are at going to war, but, which party took us into the most wars in our history?

I can't say I've counted, but, I bet it's pretty even..........

how about which party was in power when they ended?

For me, it's somewhat worrisome that some folks are almost to the point of wishing ill on those that disagree with them, on of all things, "politics"..........Jeeze...........
We hear about the right wanting to lynch the left,
the left wanting to burn the right..........

calling eachother "evil" for taking a different route to thier ideas.......

dang,
can't you disagree without being so vile, and, grumpy, let alone a "sore winner"?

*steps down off soapbox*............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue May 05, 2009 9:03 am

ygmir wrote: kind of like saying all democrats are communists...........
Or pagans, for that matter. ;)

dr.placebo

Post by dr.placebo » Tue May 05, 2009 2:07 pm

ygmir wrote: do you include all republicans, or, do you mean certain factions within that party?

seems, being the wonderfully accepting and middle of the road, loving fellow you are, you'd not necessarily paint all republicans with the same brush.....

IMHO.
My happiness at seeing the Republicans' circular firing squad is partly because I was getting real tired of it being a tactic used solely by the Democrats.

I do have left-leaning politics, at least according to the current interpretation of left and right. I also think that the Bill of Rights leans to the left of the current political center.

I rather like private property, especially my own. What I dislike is the abuse of power. There is plenty of such abuse to complain about in Washington from both parties. But there is also a lot to dislike in corporations, churches, and so forth. And it's not just based on size. The owner of the only store in a small town who refuses to sell to someone of a different religion or race is also guilty of the abuse of power.

It's actually quite sad that the party of Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and even Eisenhower has been dragged down by bozos like Nixon, Bush, Rove and Limbaugh. Personally I trace much of the current decline back to the devil's bargain the Republicans made in adopting the Southern Strategy.

Not that the Democrats have clean hands. Up until the Civil Rights era they embraced the racist dinosaur faction just as tightly as the Republicans now do.

If I were to turn around and come up with the leftist equivalent of "all democrats are communists" it would not be the kind of statement I've made above. It would be the (utterly falacious) assertion that "all republicans are fascists." I've not said that, and I would not say it or believe it. My immediately previous remarks were about Republican politicians, not all people who register or vote Republican. I regret that the context of those remarks might not have been sufficiently clear.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Tue May 05, 2009 3:35 pm

dr.placebo wrote:Still, the approval of torture (which it most certainly was) by Bush the Younger (Worst President Ever®) and his cronies is even below the Nixon administration.
It's sadly ironic that the worst president ever was able to raise $100 Million dollars for his liebary in 100 days. It took Clinton over a year. I think they should build it right next to the creation museum.

JK
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue May 05, 2009 4:04 pm

dr.placebo wrote:
ygmir wrote: do you include all republicans, or, do you mean certain factions within that party?

IMHO.
My happiness at seeing the Republicans' circular firing squad is partly because I was getting real tired of it being a tactic used solely by the Democrats.

I do have left-leaning politics, at least according to the current interpretation of left and right. I also think that the Bill of Rights leans to the left of the current political center.

I rather like private property, especially my own. What I dislike is the abuse of power. There is plenty of such abuse to complain about in Washington from both parties. But there is also a lot to dislike in corporations, churches, and so forth. And it's not just based on size. The owner of the only store in a small town who refuses to sell to someone of a different religion or race is also guilty of the abuse of power.

It's actually quite sad that the party of Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and even Eisenhower has been dragged down by bozos like Nixon, Bush, Rove and Limbaugh. Personally I trace much of the current decline back to the devil's bargain the Republicans made in adopting the Southern Strategy.

Not that the Democrats have clean hands. Up until the Civil Rights era they embraced the racist dinosaur faction just as tightly as the Republicans now do.

If I were to turn around and come up with the leftist equivalent of "all democrats are communists" it would not be the kind of statement I've made above. It would be the (utterly falacious) assertion that "all republicans are fascists." I've not said that, and I would not say it or believe it. My immediately previous remarks were about Republican politicians, not all people who register or vote Republican. I regret that the context of those remarks might not have been sufficiently clear.
thanks doc for the clarification, and, discussion.........it's just sometimes a peeve of mine that people lump so many other under a certain umbrella, that, I sometimes wonder if they really mean "all" (reps, dems, women, Somalians, etc, etc), or, if it's just less typing than a more precise description, IE: the far left of the party, or, those in washington, etc.

Of course, I'm pretty cynical regarding state and national politics in general......I think both major parties are just two sides of the same wooden nickel (I'm plagiarizing someone here).

Both taking down the primrose path...............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Monkeypoo
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Bahama Mamas!

Post by Monkeypoo » Tue May 05, 2009 11:35 pm

from the San Francisco Chronicle.... (sweeeeeeet!!!)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... tics&tsp=1

Governor (Arnold) Says He's Open to Debate on Legalizing Pot (in Caleeefornyaah!!)

The governor's comments were made as support grows nationwide for relaxing pot laws and only days after a poll found that for the first time a majority of California voters back legal marijuana. Also, a San Francisco legislator has proposed regulating and taxing marijuana to bring the state as much as $1.3 billion a year in extra revenue.

Schwarzenegger was cautious when answering a reporter's question Tuesday about whether the state should regulate and tax the substance, saying it is not time to go that far.

But, he said: "I think it's time for debate. I think all of those ideas of creating extra revenues - I'm always for an open debate on it."

*Here, Arnold, take a toke of this, don't think about it, just do what the people want you to do*

The governor said California should look to the experiences of other nations around the world in relaxing laws on marijuana.

Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, D-San Francisco, has introduced a bill to regulate marijuana like alcohol, with people over 21 years old allowed to grow, buy, sell and possess cannabis - all of which are barred by federal law.

California voters in 1996 legalized marijuana for medical use with permission from a physician.

Ammiano said he was pleased the governor is "open-minded" on the issue and added that he was sure the two could "hash it out."

*Hey, Arnold, HASH needs to be legalized too*

Under Ammiano's proposal, the state would impose a $50-an-ounce levy on sales of marijuana, which would boost state revenues by about $1.3 billion a year, according to an analysis by the State Board of Equalization. Betty Yee of San Francisco, who chairs the Board of Equalization, supports the measure.

*$50 tax on an ounce??!! Highway robbery!*

"This has never just been about money," said Ammiano, who has long supported reforming marijuana laws. "It's also about the failure of the war on drugs and implementing a more enlightened policy. I've always anticipated that there could be a perfect storm of political will and public support, and obviously the federal policies are leaning more toward states' rights."

An ABC News/Washington Post poll last week found that 46 percent of Americans favored legalization of small amounts of pot for personal use, double the number who supported that a decade ago. A Field Poll also released last week found that 56 percent of California voters supported legalizing and taxing marijuana.

In March, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said the federal government would take a softer stance on medical marijuana dispensaries, with drug enforcement agents targeting only those who violate state and federal law. California is one of 13 states that allow marijuana use with a doctor's recommendation.

Many law enforcement organizations oppose changes in marijuana laws. The California Police Chiefs Association, in a report last month, concluded that marijuana dispensaries constitute "a clear violation of federal and state law; they invite more crime; and they compromise the health and welfare of law-abiding citizens."

But the head of that association said he, too, is open to a debate on legalizing pot.

"We keep walking around the 5,000-pound elephant in the room, which is should marijuana be legal?" said Bernard Melekian, president of the association and chief of police in Pasadena.

The Board of Equalization analysis predicts that legalization would drop the street value of marijuana by 50 percent and increase consumption by 40 percent.

Bruce Mirken, spokesman for the Marijuana Policy Project, which advocates legalization, said the governor's comments about marijuana are part of a "tectonic shift" in attitudes toward the issue.

"I think, frankly, the public is going to drag the politicians into doing what is right," he said.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Wed May 06, 2009 10:22 am

So let me get this straight........

A Jewish 4th grader can tell the difference between right and wrong.

[youtube][/youtube]

:shock:

Sorry, just cant let this Bush thing go.
[url=http://www.digicastinternational.com][img]http://76.14.56.240/digiweb/button10.jpg[/img][/url]

"[i][b]The art is in the digit![/b][/i]"

[url=http://eplaya.burningman.com/search.php?search_author=THE+ORIGINAL+DIGIMAN]The Original Digiman[/url]

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Wed May 06, 2009 11:43 am

[youtube][/youtube]

This is gettin tough huh?
[url=http://www.digicastinternational.com][img]http://76.14.56.240/digiweb/button10.jpg[/img][/url]

"[i][b]The art is in the digit![/b][/i]"

[url=http://eplaya.burningman.com/search.php?search_author=THE+ORIGINAL+DIGIMAN]The Original Digiman[/url]

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Wed May 06, 2009 12:50 pm

But seriously folks

consider this

This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed May 06, 2009 2:27 pm

Toolmaker wrote:Image

But seriously folks

consider this

ImageImage
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Wed May 06, 2009 4:43 pm

JK

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed May 06, 2009 5:05 pm

it goes to facebook, is that correct?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Wed May 06, 2009 11:38 pm

ygmir wrote:it goes to facebook, is that correct?
I got it from Facebook, but I didn't realize the link went there.

Here's the direct link to flicker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30835791@N ... 241935013/

JK
JK

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Thu May 07, 2009 7:34 am

nice art work........
you guys are sore winners as well.......just can't let go.......hahaha
it's a nice place to dwell, I suppose..............funny, for sure.............
But, jeeze, it seems your time might be also well spent defending the messiah, congress, and their antics.......

Congress: a high paid circus of liars, lawyers, and louts............(is that redundant?)
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Thu May 07, 2009 8:41 am

OK, why so much ado over the National Day of Prayer?

JK
JK

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Thu May 07, 2009 8:47 am

jkisha wrote:OK, why so much ado over the National Day of Prayer?

JK
please elucidate
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Thu May 07, 2009 8:50 am

Obama decided to do a 'private' ceremony at the white house to commemorate the day. This was the way it was celebrated since its inception until GWB, who did it publicly. Now all the religious organizations are up in arms because Obama isn't doing it in public.

Hell if it were up to me, it's a day that should be abolished, but you don't here me complaining about it--I think keeping it private is appropriate.

JK
JK

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Thu May 07, 2009 8:59 am

jkisha wrote:Obama decided to do a 'private' ceremony at the white house to commemorate the day. This was the way it was celebrated since its inception until GWB, who did it publicly. Now all the religious organizations are up in arms because Obama isn't doing it in public.

Hell if it were up to me, it's a day that should be abolished, but you don't here me complaining about it--I think keeping it private is appropriate.

JK
in red: do you refer to christian, or, "all"...........

yeah, I don't see why it's a big deal or not........why should someone be ashamed of their beliefs?

"Prayer", IMHO, doesn't have to specifically relate to christianity...........
it can be as simple as celebrating peoples beliefs, if any.

if he wants to do it publicly, great, if not, great.

it's not like the pres. is telling anyone what to do,( in relation to religion anyway)
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Thu May 07, 2009 9:09 am

ygmir wrote:
jkisha wrote:Obama decided to do a 'private' ceremony at the white house to commemorate the day. This was the way it was celebrated since its inception until GWB, who did it publicly. Now all the religious organizations are up in arms because Obama isn't doing it in public.

JK

yeah, I don't see why it's a big deal or not........why should someone be ashamed of their beliefs?

it's not like the pres. is telling anyone what to do,( in relation to religion anyway)
Obviously it's a christian thing...nobody else feels the need to flaunt their religion. (Not all christians, just the far right.) They view this as a slipery slope issue. Keep their religion in the closet and it's another step to gay marriage and more abortions.

Religion has no place in politics and government. Personally, I don't feel it has a place in society either. SCIENCE RULES!

JK
JK

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Fri May 08, 2009 6:34 am

jkisha wrote:
ygmir wrote:

JK

Obviously it's a christian thing...nobody else feels the need to flaunt their religion. (Not all christians, just the far right.) They view this as a slipery slope issue. Keep their religion in the closet and it's another step to gay marriage and more abortions.

Religion has no place in politics and government. Personally, I don't feel it has a place in society either. SCIENCE RULES!

JK
I'd somewhat disagree there, respectfully, of course.
Note high profile figures changing their names to muslim to promote it.
note scientologists, especially on t.v.
note jews running all over referencing their religion and how they've suffered
I'm sure there are many more examples.

I agree, it's usually the fringes of a group that are high visibility in public.
and, since there are probably more xtians than any other here in the U.S., it's out there more..........but, certainly not exclusive.

I also agree that religion has no place officially in politics and government.
That said, it is impossible, IMHO, if a person has beliefs, to completely separate them from thier life/job. So, IMHO, impossible to completely separate them.
IMHO, more important to vote people in with good, fair judgment, critical thinkers, who, can recognize issues, allow their personal experiences and judgments to color their decisions, and, with clarity and openness, explain their reasoning to the public, and, gain trust and support, thereby.........

Science is great.
As humans, though, IMHO, we can't be totally dry and analytical......there are to many variables, emotion, random thoughts to be able to totally quantify the experience and "world", as total science would demand.

I see one of the great things about our nation being that, every so often, we can change direction.......try a new candidate, see what works.
and, if it doesn't work, or, if the opposing candidate is a better liar, we change people and direction............

Mistakes can happen, but, if we were a thinking (sometimes questionable) electorate, we will recognize them and try a different tack.........

*pushes re-set button on back of head and shuts up*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Fri May 08, 2009 7:08 am

Monkeypoo wrote:
An ABC News/Washington Post poll last week found that 46 percent of Americans favored legalization of small amounts of pot for personal use, double the number who supported that a decade ago. A Field Poll also released last week found that 56 percent of California voters supported legalizing and taxing marijuana.
Legalizing small amounts of pot?

Pot doesn't come from vending machines in less then ounce packages.

It comes from Kilo bricks or bags or plants that have up to a pound of more.

Legalization is Legalization through and through!

No fucking chicken shit decriminalization or if we find less then a ounce we just slap your pee pee bulshit. That doesn't do a fucking thing about the black market and LEO corruption problems.

It's legal or nothing!

AIIZ

dr.placebo

Post by dr.placebo » Fri May 08, 2009 8:02 am

Of course, government is the problem:

[youtube][/youtube]

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Fri May 08, 2009 8:10 am

*giggling*

well said, comrade.............

and, that simple explaination covers it all...........

good parody, though..........

*still chuckling*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Return to “Open Discussion”