Politics, Everyday, All day... morning, noon and night....II

All things outside of Burning Man.
Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: Politics, Everyday, All day... morning, noon and night....II

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:59 am

im glad to hear that Yggy is in agreement that this kind of criminal behavior is not ok from any side.

we as americans need to agree on things.

like rape is bad, and should be punished.

Not rewarded, with you know, supreme court seats, or the presidency.
Frida Be You & Me

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:25 am

lucky420 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:46 pm
ygmir wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:20 pm
lucky420 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:59 am

I haven’t read much about what kind of platform he has yet. I do like the fact that he donated a lot of money to defeat certain politicians. I think I read somewhere a hike back that he was donating to defeat Mitch McConnell and his cocaine connection a while back, that’s a good thing IMO.
he seems to be a "wing nut", so, sure, that makes sense.
"cocaine connection"? sorry, I have no info on that. Interesting, though, I don't remember any other politicians being targeted for that reason... I mean, just be partisan, and leave it there? seems silly to bring up things that others have gotten a pass for?
El presidente accused her of smuggling big time, not just a lil recreational. So it’s true, El Capitan said so

* plus it just tickles me to say “Mitch McConnell and his cocaine connection” every time
ah ok, fair. I had not heard that one.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:02 am

Am I the only one who finds it odd, and partisan, that when Obama published his book prior to his presidency that, in Chicago, he sold cocaine as a teenager, no one in the media thought that was at all important? I mean, I wouldn't have known about it if Fox hadn't shown the quote from the book, which I suspect not many people read. For if they had, he would never have gotten elected if your hatred for McConnell, and his alleged cocaine connection, is sincere. I mean, certainly you would never have voted for a cocaine dealer would you? I know I certainly wouldn't have.

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:09 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:02 am
Am I the only one who finds it odd, and partisan, that when Obama published his book prior to his presidency that, in Chicago, he sold cocaine as a teenager, no one in the media thought that was at all important? I mean, I wouldn't have known about it if Fox hadn't shown the quote from the book, which I suspect not many people read. For if they had, he would never have gotten elected if your hatred for McConnell, and his alleged cocaine connection, is sincere. I mean, certainly you would never have voted for a cocaine dealer would you? I know I certainly wouldn't have.
I might have. Or a pot dealer, or a prostitute. Or anyone who has overcome what has kept them or others like them down. To overcome that background and have enough people behind you to be nominated for president shows strength, shows character.
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/857278 ... t-a-person

I've been told that the Kennedys fortune came from bootlegging. Didn't they have someone in public office?
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:27 am

Refusing to vote for, hire or interact with a person because of the group they belong to is the same prejudice that has caused so much pain and poverty and death throughout history.
Doc, when you say that someone is bad because "he sold cocaine as a teenage" I hear "they are evil beyond redemption because they are poor, black, queer, female, a Burner, etc". This is obviously not true. Look at the individual and why they are part of the group. Stereotypeing is not a good idea just the lazy persons power trip.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:01 am

Frida Be You & Me

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:53 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:
Oh I hate Mitch McConnell and his cocaine cartel no doubt about that but listen up fool, the cocaine part? Yeah that’s mainly a joke based on your hero (drumpf) making these disparaging remarks. I now realize your sense of humor is either sorely lacking or just so base it doesn’t go beyond “boobies heeehee” lighten up skillet
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:55 pm

Popeye wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:27 am
Refusing to vote for, hire or interact with a person because of the group they belong to is the same prejudice that has caused so much pain and poverty and death throughout history.
Doc, when you say that someone is bad because "he sold cocaine as a teenage" I hear "they are evil beyond redemption because they are poor, black, queer, female, a Burner, etc". This is obviously not true. Look at the individual and why they are part of the group. Stereotypeing is not a good idea just the lazy persons power trip.
+1000
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:43 am

Frida Be You & Me

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:36 pm

Two idea post, interlinked.

It's sad that Trump respects president Jackson. He selected a portrait of Jackson for the oval. And the Koch Bros are the real bad hombres.

Andrew Jackson is infamous for two things. He campaigned on a platform of hate and relocation of Indians in the Southeast to Oklahoma. He executed that as president. It was the Trail of Tears. Then he defied the Supreme Court in Worcester v. Georgia related to the removal.

There is a Native American joke that whenever they are forcefully relocated to some god-forsaken place, oil is discovered there, and the cycle is often repeated.

There is a new book on the Koch Bros. It is revealed that the Kochs developed their political tactics when it was found they were defrauding the Indians of oil revenues on Oklahoma Indian lands.
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... bes-227412
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:41 pm

I know so many of you personally, so let me ask a favor. Keep name calling and personal attacks off eplaya. Discuss politics and the details around it, but please leave it there.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:36 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:
I think you may be wrong about that. He wrote about using cocaine, not selling it.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Dr. Pyro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:19 pm

mea culpa, mea culpa. But the point remains.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:10 am

IMPEACH THE MOTHERFUCKER
Frida Be You & Me

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:34 am

Sham wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:41 pm
I know so many of you personally, so let me ask a favor. Keep name calling and personal attacks off eplaya. Discuss politics and the details around it, but please leave it there.
Ok Dad
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:33 am

Frida Be You & Me

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:34 pm

Hi Doc, if it makes a difference, I think you would make a better president than Trump.

Presumably you would actually read a substantial morning briefing (rather than Trump's ADD picture ones), wouldn't check out every weekend (God help us if any kind of national emergency happens while Trump is on a golf weekend), wouldn't waste every morning munching burgers in a codependent relationship with FOX, and would actually speak in a way that is understandable.

I'm 99% certain that I would disagree with your "if Pyro was president" policies, but I'm interested in hearing them.

It is interesting to see the very strong ethics of Gen Y and Z. They simply are not going to put up with #metoo and are very strong on climate. If you want to see where your beliefs are on any issue in relation to others, I always suggest Pew Research detailed poll results.

Dr. Pyro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:19 pm

some seeing eye wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:34 pm
Hi Doc, if it makes a difference, I think you would make a better president than Trump.

Presumably you would actually read a substantial morning briefing (rather than Trump's ADD picture ones), wouldn't check out every weekend (God help us if any kind of national emergency happens while Trump is on a golf weekend), wouldn't waste every morning munching burgers in a codependent relationship with FOX, and would actually speak in a way that is understandable.

I'm 99% certain that I would disagree with your "if Pyro was president" policies, but I'm interested in hearing them.

It is interesting to see the very strong ethics of Gen Y and Z. They simply are not going to put up with #metoo and are very strong on climate. If you want to see where your beliefs are on any issue in relation to others, I always suggest Pew Research detailed poll results.
FaIr enough. My biggest concern, and it doesn't show up in polls or on anybody's (Reb or Dem) radar is the deficit. We are $22 TRILLION in the hole, and here in California (depending upon which liar you choose to believe) another unfunded state liability of $2 trillion. Leaving out California, that is a debt of (using a rounding error) of $63,000 per man, woman, and child in this country. And it grows by the day. And if interest rates rise (and someday they will) the interest on the debt will be greater than the GDP. This is real money we're talking about. And nobody wants to address it. Oh sure, time was the Republicans were "fiscally conservative" which is complete horse**** today. That's why I began leaning in their direction, but now I see they're no better than the Democrats. Well, yeah they are, but not by much. We cannot "give away" free tuition, medical care, help to illegal immigrants, and so on. That is a pipe dream to buy votes and the Democrats should be ashamed of themselves. And the Republicans must understand we have to cut the military and foreign aid, and this is just a starter. The problem is, with each of us owing more than 60G, we need to cut EVERYWHERE. Foreign aid? Let's get our own fiscal house in order before we start thinking about Chad. We do not need military bases in countries (I'm looking at you South Korea) that are our allies and close enough to be defended by NATO or those countries in the western Pacific. Your pet projects, from Planned Parenthood to hauling out the flag on Memorial Day at Arlington, gone. Everyone needs to tighten their belt and everyone will lose some pet project (or maybe all sorts of them) in order to try and get our fiscal house in order.

Then I would look at education. I'm OK with charter schools, religious schools, public schools. But we need to stop this nonsense of "diversity education" when those dollars are coming at the cost of the arts, sciences, and skills (say auto shop or computer services, because we will always need mechanics and electricians and computer programmers) when they should be diverted towards helping the poorest and most helpless of our own citizens get a skill and craft they can use to pull themselves out of poverty. Or at least it's a beginning.

I believe climate change is real. But I don't think we can solve the problem overnight, and it's too radical to think we will be beyond the pale and die in 12 years if we don't do it now. We, the greatest innovator of technological progress in the world, will come up with solutions, and many sooner rather than later. But when the Paris Accords give China and India, the two greatest polluters in the world, not until 2030 to even begin changing their horrific pollution and global-warming tendencies (somehow I never hear the Democrats or AOC knocking them), then by their very own admission we'll be dead before the greatest contributors to climate change and pollution even have to act. When I look at Los Angeles in 1976 and it today, the air is cleaner and everyone is much better off. There is no reason to believe (in my opinion) that these technological advances can't lead the world forward, but we need competition and a profit motive for that to take place. If France can safely use nuclear energy to give her a majority of the power needed, safely and cleanly, again with the technological advances made in the USA should be able to give us an advantage and ability to do the same. But the left demonizes nuclear power (and please, save your platitudes because Chernobyl and Three Mile Island were pre-historic technological disasters which should be able to be solved in 2020). So to lower carbon emissions and clean the environment, that is what I would do.

I don't thing any of these ideas are crazy and the bourbon-induced ramblings of a reactionary. I think they're sound, but my priorities and yours are different. I'm looking at the real world politic of the debt and could care less about a gay pride parade or what the NRA thinks about Obama. I care about all of us, which seems to be missing in most of these discussions.

Does that clear it up?

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Post by Skuzzy61 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:41 am

I applaud your concerns Doc, but without a major paradigm shift in the priorities of our society, I am afraid none of that is going to happen.
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020
We almost lost it! 2021
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:51 am

well said Doc.
perhaps, drink more bourbon? It seems to elicit fine thinking...
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:11 am

sounds like the same old white guy bullshit to me.

and im an old white guy so i knows it when i smells it.

its hard to teach old white guys new tricks, but seriously, you need to at least try.

i’ll be over here, on the right side of morality and history, waiting for you.

don’t wait too long.
Frida Be You & Me

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:14 am

Hey Doc, good start!

If you are interested in climate rewind this to the beginning -

It's a hearing with Republicans on climate

Dr. Frank Luntz GOP strategist
Kiera O’Brien, Vice President of Students for Carbon Dividends
Nick Huey, Founder of the Climate Campaign

If you are unfamiliar with Luntz you might look him up.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:40 am

Doc, There's a lot of truth in what you say but please don't lump Planned Parenthood in with unneeded frills. They do a lot more than give abortions. It would be a false economy to stop selling cheap birth control. Lots of simple female problems are handled there that would otherwise end up in hospitals. It's not my 'pet project' but I see it's value.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:53 am

however, if it’s handouts to already rich white guys it’s not socialism.

because, tax cuts for the wealthy.
CC5FB273-E105-4851-9AAA-FBABE027264A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:08 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:53 am
however, if it’s handouts to already rich white guys it’s not socialism.

because, tax cuts for the wealthy.

CC5FB273-E105-4851-9AAA-FBABE027264A.jpeg
+1000
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:19 pm

I gotta say it's refreshing to see actual issues being discussed.
Thanks to SSE for shifting the discussion and Doc for rising to the occasion.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Dr. Pyro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:25 pm

Ratty wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:40 am
Doc, There's a lot of truth in what you say but please don't lump Planned Parenthood in with unneeded frills. They do a lot more than give abortions. It would be a false economy to stop selling cheap birth control. Lots of simple female problems are handled there that would otherwise end up in hospitals. It's not my 'pet project' but I see it's value.
Ratty, you've just made my point. We all like Planned Parenthood for what is can and does accomplish. We like lots of things, but when I suggested draconian cuts (under the deadly shadow of a $22T deficit), and cuts in things you and I may well like, until we can get our fiscal house in order everyone will need to suffer, or to put it more mildly, tighten our belts. I know the value as you stated it, and we know each other pretty well, but all I ask is where, and at what price, do we draw the line? I would imagine our beginning and ending points would not likely be the same! But we can have the discussion and be civil about it because we're rational people.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:55 pm

Cuts cuts cuts slash slash slash

But not one word about allllll the tax breaks for the wealthy and corporations
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:33 pm

They are the biggest drain and the best place to start cutting the deficit.

Then work down from the top.

If I have to cut spending in my budget, the champagne is the first to go!!!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Dr. Pyro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:33 pm

lucky420 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:55 pm
Cuts cuts cuts slash slash slash

But not one word about allllll the tax breaks for the wealthy and corporations
Well duh, there are no reasons to give them to the poor and unemployed. As both JFK and Bill Clinton, as well as Ronald Reagan and Donald Trump, have shown, that as long as the tax breaks go to those companies that actually increase revenue through more employment and the benefits that come with them, then yes, tax breaks work. So why not ask someone who's actually a principal of the New York Stock Exchange (uh, that would be me) to give you some insight on how the economic world really works rather than going back to your emotional feelings that the real world shows doesn't work. You don't like it because you don't get the cuts cuts cuts slash slash slash. Try working in the real world, not union and not governmental, and see what you think. But you have never given a damn about that because your narrow political perspective won't allow it. Thank God I'm here for perspective.

Return to “Open Discussion”