Politics, Everyday, All day... morning, noon and night....II

All things outside of Burning Man.
Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: Politics, Everyday, All day... morning, noon and night....II

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:08 am

97191F95-1698-4F2E-BBD8-146C6450B9BC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:32 am

April 24, 2020
Heather Cox Richardson

Today’s news was consumed by Trump’s suggestion at yesterday’s coronavirus briefing that doctors should look into the value of disinfectants or sunlight taken internally to kill the novel coronavirus. Since that comment, he has been skewered by medical professionals and made fun of on social media. The makers of Lysol released a statement warning that “under no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body (through injection, ingestion, or any other route),” and the Centers for Disease Control warned that “household cleaners and disinfectants can cause health problems when not used properly.” When asked about the comment, Trump said: “I was asking a question sarcastically to reporters like you just to see what would happen,” then went on to mischaracterize his earlier statements.

It was notable that Daniel Dale’s article in CNN discussing today’s about-face was titled, “Fact check: Trump lies that he was being ‘sarcastic’ when he talked about injecting disinfectant.” Media outlets have been uncomfortable calling out Trump’s lies, instead using words like “untruths,” but Dale has fact-checked every Trump rally and speech in real time and regularly uses the word “lie” on Twitter. That the word is showing up more in news media suggests editors are rethinking how best to cover this president.

Their problem is that everything a president does and says is newsworthy, but reporting what a lying politician says without identifying it as false puts the media in the position of amplifying the skewed message, rather than delivering accurate information. This tactic was pioneered by Wisconsin Senator Joseph McCarthy in the 1950s. He would accuse people of being communists and spread lies about them in press releases—which got covered by newspaper reporters—then move onto another story as reporters, trudging in his wake, discovered he was lying. But the fact-checking never got the headlines McCarthy’s extraordinary accusations did, and the accusations stuck.

McCarthy’s right-hand man, New York City attorney Roy Cohn, was Trump’s mentor, and it is perhaps no accident that Trump has always used this tactic to great effect. Essentially, he has made the media his accomplice in spreading disinformation.

Aware that this tactic gave Trump more than $5 billion of free airtime in the 2016 election cycle, media figures have tried to figure out how to cover Trump in 2020 without making the same mistake. This is especially important now that his coronavirus briefings have taken the place of his political rallies, making it hard to cover them without amplifying his political message.

As reporters have tried to fact-check him, he insists they are illegitimate. Yesterday, when Washington Post reporter Philip Rucker asked him to clarify his suggestions about alternative treatments for coronavirus, Trump responded: “I’m the president and you’re fake news.” After Trump won the 2016 election, CBS correspondent Lesley Stahl asked him why he continued to bash the media. He replied, "You know why I do it? I do it to discredit you all and demean you all so when you write negative stories about me, no one will believe you.”

Trump needs that mistrust of the media now, as American deaths from Covid-19 exceed 50,000. The United States has now suffered one quarter of the world’s 190,000 deaths from the virus. It appears the White House latched onto an unrealistically optimistic model in early April when it suggested we could keep our deaths at 60,000.

Trump is fighting back against news stories that detail the administration’s botched response to the crisis. Administration officials speaking to NBC News say that Trump’s disinfectant suggestion showed his irritation at his health advisers’ continuing warnings that the disease is not going away anytime soon, and that we must be prepared for a second wave in the fall. (In a sign that we are in this for the long haul, the editors of the New York Times announced today that, for the duration of the pandemic, they are replacing the “Travel” section of the Sunday newspaper with one entitled “At Home.”)

Suspicions that Trump is using the pandemic to consolidate power were confirmed in a report from NBC News today establishing that the administration has a secret “adjudication” process that enables Trump’s people to override the formulas designed to apportion medical supplies according to need, sending them instead to Republican supporters. “There’s a lot of politics involved,” one person told reporters. “Senior leadership from [Capitol] Hill can call up and say ‘ship 500 ventilators’ and 500 ventilators go out.”

While a White House spokesman said "It's outrageous that the media would ask or even speculate that the resources being delivered by the federal government to the states is somehow based on politics," reporters Jonathan Allen, Phil McCausland, and Cyrus Farivar establish that it sure looks like federal agents are seizing supplies acquired by Democratic states and redistributing them along partisan lines. And Trump appears to have said so. Last week, he warned that he would withhold supplies from governors who didn’t open up their economies when he wanted. “They need the federal government not only for funding — and I'm not saying take it away — but they need it for advice," he said. "They'll need, maybe, equipment that we have. We have a tremendous stockpile that we're in the process of completing. We're in a very good position."

In more news about the misuse of political power, a digital technology firm working for the Trump campaign, Phunware, got a $2.85 million loan from the Paycheck Protection Program. The loan was legal, but it was nearly 14 times larger than the average award under the program, and it got the loan two days after it applied while other companies that applied earlier for what was supposed to be a first-come, first-served program are still waiting.

Trump also announced today he would block the $10 billion of credit Congress approved this month for the United States Postal Service unless it quadrupled the cost of shipping a package. His hatred of the USPS is rooted in his hatred of Amazon, owned by Jeff Bezos. Bezos also owns the Washington Post.

Trump has his own financing issues: a 30% stake in a building that was refinanced in 2012 in part by the state-owned Bank of China. That debt $211 million comes due in 2022, raising questions about Trump’s conflicts of interest.

The president also needs to control the media as he faces increasing resistance over the amount of power he has claimed for the executive branch in other ways, too. At Politico, reporter David Rogers is chasing the complicated story of how Trump has moved $3.6 billion allotted for military construction overseas to building a wall on the country’s southern border. Since Congress decides on appropriations, this transfer looks dicey.

Also today, news broke that Attorney General William Barr’s Department of Justice has appealed to the Supreme Court to block Congress from seeing the secret grand jury material collected during Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election. Last month, the appeals court agreed by a vote of 2-1 that the House Judiciary Committee has a “compelling need” to see the material so it can investigate the president for obstruction of justice during the investigation. The Justice Department has asked the Supreme Court for a stay.

Finally, the U.S. Navy today formally recommended that Captain Brett Crozier be reinstated as the commander of the USS Theodore Roosevelt. Crozier was removed from his post after writing a letter calling attention to the spread of coronavirus on the ship, but the profane diatribe of the acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly about Crozier after his removal led to an outcry that made Modly resign. To the surprise of Navy officials, Defense Secretary Mark Esper, a Trump loyalist, is holding up Crozier’s reinstatement.

—-

Available as a free newsletter at heathercoxrichardson.substack.com
Frida Be You & Me

Miura-7
Burning Since: 2020

Post by Miura-7 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:46 am

What a Mess.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:05 am

Edit. The toilet, alone ala Elvis

Not joking

Anybody jump on my shit about this, take a long look in the mirror and ask yourself “would you have stopped hitler” if you’d known beforehand, or am I just heinous?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:16 am

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:22 am

Less is more..........In Trumps case..........none is best.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Miura-7

Post by Miura-7 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:08 am

lucky420 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:05 am

Not joking

Anybody jump on my shit about this, take a long look in the mirror and ask yourself “would you have stopped hitler” if you’d known beforehand, or am I just heinous?
Easy Sparkle Pony. LA is finally seeing some blue sky, no need to set the West coast on fire again.😉

Sham

Post by Sham » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:18 pm

Miura-7 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:08 am
lucky420 wrote:

Not joking

Easy Sparkle Pony. LA is finally seeing some blue sky, no need to set the West coast on fire again.😉
Lucky is the last person you should be referring to as a sparkle pony. She will crack you like an egg there trigger.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:49 pm

I'm with you, Lucky.

I'm not one to wish violence on anyone, but he is dangerous to all of us, so I'm willing to make an exception. :evil:
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Miura-7

Post by Miura-7 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:28 am

Sham wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:18 pm
Miura-7 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:08 am
lucky420 wrote:

Not joking

Lucky is the last person you should be referring to as a sparkle pony. She will crack you like an egg there trigger.
[/quote Trigger? Egg? I'm kind of perplexed on that one? What am I missing here?

Miura-7

Post by Miura-7 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:35 am

Skin, is not that thin, head is not that hard. Thought you might know, I'm no Humpty Dumpty sitting on a wall. "Plonk Away"

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:41 am

Let's try to keep the personal recriminations to a minimum.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Miura-7

Post by Miura-7 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:06 am

It was personal long before I discovered "Burning Man." Not on team Red, or Blue. I'm on team " Give our children a fighting chance! " Maximum Efficiency, Minimal Waste. Blue skies, and another sunrise. I listen to NPR, watch DW, PBS, BBC, and NHK. Don't care to be in the audience of this National game. Rather be a solution, then part of the problem. Enjoy watching Euromaxx. Now if I drew a tattoo of a fire breathing "Sparkle Pony", you might understand. Got nothing but respect for Lucky, not because she is a bad-ass, but because she's a sweetheart.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:28 am

all right you two, get a virtual room...
Frida Be You & Me

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:29 am

Good morning everyone and thank you all for the kind words.

I really do like everyone :coffee: :mrgreen:

Well mostly :lol:

Hope everyone is well and sane now that we live in Weirdville
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:44 pm

Frida Be You & Me

Perpetual Burn

Post by Perpetual Burn » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:53 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:44 pm
JESUS IS MY SURGICAL MASK
"Give unto Caesar that which is Caesar's."
-Master J

That question was about more than money...

Plus, he probably already has the proper medical defense... statistics. :wink:
Consciousness contains all Multiverse
The Singularity cannot be hacked
The Divine Programmer manifests Love
Phenomena radiates it back
With Immaculate power and humble Grace
We Burn down Samsara
At Home, this must be the Place

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:36 am

Frida Be You & Me

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:16 am

Jesusfuck some people are extremely stupid. Can they just go away?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:28 pm

lucky420 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:16 am
They will.
Darwin.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:56 pm

Popeye wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:28 pm
lucky420 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:16 am
They will.
Darwin.
True, but you hope a little bit of punctuated equilibrium takes over with emphasis on the punctuation for the dumbfuckers. That way, the random disastrous event takes place that nails 'em, period.

I've always been of the belief that like life, the greatest and most useful change takes place in the terror or unadulterated joy of the random event, separated by long periods of gradual change. The key to species survival is the ability to adapt or move. Adapt, improvise, and overcome, or get the hell out of the way.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:15 am

Darwin or 5G... whichever gets them first.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri May 01, 2020 4:34 am

Frida Be You & Me

Traveller in Time
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Sat May 02, 2020 4:06 am

Expected to be the next step is that department will be mothballed
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat May 02, 2020 4:33 am

LIBERATE

A6980A72-C89E-4390-9EAA-21FD0DD45B66.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sat May 02, 2020 7:07 am

Hahahahaha wonder how these children like their starring role in this viral photo.

I think I can hear their blood boiling through my screen.

I’m just wondering what they were trying to prove or tell us by bringing their big dicks :lol: to a protest. Guarantee Michigan State Poloce would’ve lost their shit if these pendejos were POC.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat May 02, 2020 7:39 am

Oh my god, it's HUGE!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sat May 02, 2020 11:50 am

Elderberry wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:39 am
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
It really really is!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun May 03, 2020 2:21 pm

Squad Teen Vogue FTW:

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/reopen- ... rus-racism

and Michigan legislators who have bullet proof vests are wearing them :

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/michiga ... protesters

Good for Sassy!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun May 03, 2020 3:25 pm

“The United States just had its deadliest day on record due to the coronavirus as states across the country begin to ease restrictions meant to curb the spread of the virus, according to data published by the World Health Organization.

The U.S. saw 2,909 people die of Covid-19 in 24 hours, according to the data, which was collected as of 4 a.m. ET on Friday. That’s the highest daily Covid-19 death toll in the U.S. yet, based on a CNBC analysis of the WHO’s daily Covid-19 situation reports“

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/02/who-us- ... virus.html
Frida Be You & Me

Return to “Open Discussion”