Politics, Everyday, All day... morning, noon and night....II

All things outside of Burning Man.
Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: Politics, Everyday, All day... morning, noon and night....II

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:34 am

3DAC593A-37F8-4FDF-91D4-5B9407D9215F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:20 am

How anybody could be in denial that he and his ilk are a clear and present danger are beyond me. I guess this is the hill they want to die on and they will. History will not be kind

:coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:14 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:34 am
3DAC593A-37F8-4FDF-91D4-5B9407D9215F.jpeg
If I still had a Facebook account, I would repost this far and wide.

In my town.... Were I to shout and bang in support of democracy, I would likely draw gunfire.

On my street, there is a mixed-race youngster struggling with gender identity, and this family has draw gunfire and are still in hiding out of county.

Thanks to Stimulus dollars, I was able to contribute a few bucks to the campaigns of "the Black and the Jew" in Georgia. Not meaning to brag -- just saying sometimes we can do something, even if subtly.

The stupidity of humans is bottomless. The upside is that they are easy to influence, if only we bother to do it.

A couple years ago, I learned that our neighbors at my childhood home in Norway... fled to Argentina right after World War 2.
War profiteering.
When they bought the house next door, and the neighborhood grocery store, in the 1960s, they had only recently returned. They hid it well.

I briefly dated their daughter.
Only now do I know... she lived in mortal fear of accidentally revealing she had grown up in Argentina. That, and of the Catholic boarding schools they stashed her in.

Yes! We need to bang the pots and pans!

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:38 am

"Yeah, but the democrats are bad too!"
:roll:

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:31 am

Proud Boys Intended To Kill Mike Pence and Nancy Pelosi, FBI Witness Says:

An FBI special agent made the claim in an affidavit as part of a criminal complaint against 43-year-old Dominic Pezzola, who is accused of taking part in the riot in support of President Donald Trump's false claims that the presidential election was "stolen." Pezzola, who is also known as "Spaz," allegedly used a shield taken from a Capitol Police officer to smash a Capitol window before entering the building. An FBI witness said that the group Pezzola was with had discussed committing violent acts that went far beyond property damage.

https://www.newsweek.com/proud-boys-int ... ys-1562062
Frida Be You & Me

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:14 am

qanon believer end.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:43 am

This is madness.

Ivanka’s political future comes into sharper focus
The president’s daughter isn’t making concrete moves. But Republicans say that moves are being made in anticipation of her running.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/1 ... ure-459758
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:19 am

some seeing eye wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:43 am
This is madness.
... ...
Early in my life, I read a splendidly amusing book called The Pickwick Papers, by Charles Dickens.

Most of the characters are pathetically ignorant, comically unwise, and utterly self-deluding. A few are blatantly dishonest, thieving, and crooked, plus one or two actually devious con-artists. Charles Dickens sure had a marvelously creative imagination to invent such bizarre people!

For many decades, I counted The Pickwick Papers among my favorite books. Always good for a laugh at the mere though.

Recently, I started reading it again, expecting similar enjoyment.

Creative imagination, my gimpy left knee. (Saving the other gimpy knee for the next book review.)

Dickens simply wrote down what he observed around him -- merely described the average people he encountered in daily life.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:55 am

I would never condone violence, except in defense of self or others.
But as a matter of historical fact....
When the Russians finally freed themselves of Tsar Nicholas 2, they had the good sense to kill his whole family.
We need to accomplish similar benefit by judicial and legislative means.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:02 pm

But what we need to invest the most time, money, and effort in... is education.
No human should enter adulthood without at least a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent.
It is not that a Bachelor's Degree is needed to flip burgers – and we do need people in all types of jobs, including burger-flipping.
It is that we all need at least this level of general education to function sensibly in a civilized society.
I read that Denmark is now teaching the concept of empathy in elementary school. This is the sort of thing humanity needs.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:54 pm

from
jan 2nd:

Simon of the Playa wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:54 am
"Trump diehards from across the country have organized their travel to Washington on 'The Donald' forum," the Beast's report states. "One of the hottest topics on the site is how protesters can bring guns to D.C., which would count as a local crime in nearly all circumstances under Washington's strict gun laws. Others have talked about breaking into federal buildings or committing violence against law enforcement officers who try to stop them from storming Congress."

One comment that receiving approving nods stated, "I'm thinking it will be literal war on that day. Where we'll storm offices and physically remove and even kill all the D.C. traitors and reclaim the country."

The report notes that noted Trump supporter Proud Boy Joe Biggs, boasted on Parler, "Watch out, January 6 — you ain't gonna know who the f*ck it is standing beside you."

The Beast also reports that Trump fans are discussing dressing up as Antifa protesters so the anti-fascist group will be blamed for any violence."

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-inciting ... 649717814/
Frida Be You & Me

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:32 pm

And while I am on my education soap box today....

In today's American English, the term "high school drop-out" is a normal everyday phrase – as if it could possibly be acceptable that children are so severely abused by neglect that this can happen.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:05 pm

seen this going around...

"We beat them before, we'll beat them again."
hmmm (3).jpg
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:25 pm

8EB9E650-5999-43AF-8383-FD65C712251A.jpeg
Frida Be You & Me

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:21 am

This flattering to yrumps physique
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:59 am

Regardless, I was thinking... "Ya gonna need a bigger boat can of tea."

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:37 am

Perhaps the most important tool we have for steering public administration (politics) in a sensible direction is to instill in our children and grandchildren a love of reading.

I am currently re-reading a novel by James Michener, published in 1991.
The following is a paragraph from that novel, which is set in the world of literature – the characters are authors, editors, etc.
In this chapter, a British professor and an American grad student are in Greece, studying the beginnings of literature. Here, they are in Sparta, scene of "great battles" by a thoroughly militarized society.

"As we probed the area and came upon sad collections of mean buildings, none exhibiting the grandeur of Greece or even the victories of the Spartan armies, Devlan [the professor] said: When I was in the United States, I had the mournful feeling that eighty percent of your people would welcome a Spartan dictatorship if it would improve the schools, discipline the minorities, put women back in their place, install a religious supremacy, and terminate the silliness of the Bill of Rights. Many modern Americans would leap at such an offer, it seemed to me, which is why I wanted you to see Sparta. Because what you see here is what such a choice always leads to."

Yes, it could have been written in the last four years. But Michener wrote it in 1990, and believe me countless others wrote it before him. But so few people read.

On that note, I am reminded of the current debate over immigration. And I see before my inner eye... a recent Mexican immigrant father who lived across the street from me for a few years – sitting on his front porch with a book... reading to the child on his lap.

This is how I learned to read, long before 1st grade, on my grandmother's lap, starting with Disney comic books.

[The name of this novel is The Novel. Michener, of course, was a master of the art-form – especially epic historical novels – "the modern World's story-teller", to my mind.]

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:54 pm

Mittens, for the win.

3A404D98-F608-490A-A39E-E7CAA0435B1E.jpeg
Frida Be You & Me

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:00 pm

I had to go to England to discover what this was about.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55741560

Methinks it is rather unwise to hold this event outdoors in that climate. Didn't one freshly sworn-in president die of pneumonia a few days later?

Otherwise... I am beginning to breathe again. One small step for Joe Biden, one giant leap for America.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:49 pm

A sigh of relief as Agolf Twitler is finally out of office.

But, please tell me that Sen. Ted Cruz's account was hacked. I hope he really isn't this dumb...
Senator Ted Cruz wrote:"By rejoining the Paris Climate Agreement, President Biden indicates he's more interesting in the views of the citizens of Paris than in the jobs of the citizens of Pittsburgh. ..."
"I wonder if Cruz thinks that the Treaty of Versailles only applies to Versailles" - my teen-aged son
tell me Sen Ted Cruz account hacked, please.jpg
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:35 pm

Ted thinks he's supposed to be cross. :evil:

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:48 am

Canoe wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:49 pm
Senator Ted Cruz wrote:"By rejoining the Paris Climate Agreement, President Biden indicates he's more interesting in the views of the citizens of Paris than in the jobs of the citizens of Pittsburgh. ..."
"I wonder if Cruz thinks that the Treaty of Versailles only applies to Versailles" - my teen-aged son
  • Senator @tedcruz is so stupid he thinks the Paris Climate Agreement is about Paris and that Pittsburgh is still the Pittsburgh of the 1940s that belches smoke from its now-gone steel mills.
  • Earlier this month, Ted Cruz showed he has no interest in the views of Pittsburgh's citizens by attempting to overturn Pennsylvania's election results
  • Imagine trying to throw out every vote in Pennsylvania two weeks ago, and pretending today you give a sh!t about Pittsburgh.
  • To show how stupid this tweet is, let's apply its logic to 1945:
    "By signing the Potsdam Agreement, President Truman indicates he's more interested in the views of the citizens of Potsdam than in the citizens of Pittsburgh."
    Cruz isn't stupid, but he thinks his supporters are.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:29 am

MITTEN MAGIC

33B64D41-71FF-4158-8DC7-62D6F73C1339.jpeg
Frida Be You & Me

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:27 pm

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/20/tech ... index.html
"The most hardcore QAnon followers are in disarray," said Daniel J. Jones, president of Advance Democracy, a nonpartisan nonprofit that tracks extremist groups and misinformation online. "After years of waiting for the 'Great Awakening,' QAnon adherents seemed genuinely shocked to see President Biden successfully inaugurated. A significant percentage online are writing that they are now done with the QAnon, while others are doubling down and promoting new conspiracies."

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:17 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:27 pm
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/20/tech ... index.html
"The most hardcore QAnon followers are in disarray," said Daniel J. Jones, president of Advance Democracy, a nonpartisan nonprofit that tracks extremist groups and misinformation online. "After years of waiting for the 'Great Awakening,' QAnon adherents seemed genuinely shocked to see President Biden successfully inaugurated. A significant percentage online are writing that they are now done with the QAnon, while others are doubling down and promoting new conspiracies."
Hopefully the rest of the Q’s wake up. I’ve been following Parlortakes on Twitter. They post stuff from Parlorso you don’t have to actually follow the delusional. Some of these people, their rabbit hole is so deep.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:34 am

Canoe wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:49 pm
Actor Seth Rogen responded to Cruz’s tweet, writing, “Fuck off you fascist.”

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:13 am

Reading the above makes me wonder....
Let's say -- rather hypothetically, I suppose, but... -- that the public comment "Fuck off you fascist." is actually received and read by Mr. Cruz.
Could this be expected to improve Mr. Cruz' future behavior? Anybody's behavior?

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:31 am

In other news....
Hookworm in the third word -- and in the U.S. deep south.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... -argentina

This is what happens when we play the misanthrope's zero-sum game and elevate ourselves at the expense of others.
Let us instead realize that a rising tide lifts all ships.

Simon of the Playa

Politics, Everyday, All day... morning, noon and night....II

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:10 am

F75B16A1-A756-4C67-BF27-AFBDCBD3DAB8.jpeg
Moderator note: after a few flags on this post, moderators reviewed this and found it within the Burning Man standards. On playa, there are camps that openly go beyond what some might consider poor taste or crossing lines. This stays within those Burning Man lines, as there is no nudity and only an implied action. Dark humor and mayhem is what Burning Man was built on.
Frida Be You & Me

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:13 am

While authorities have charged more than 100 individuals in the riot, details in the new allegations against three U.S. military veterans offer a disturbing look at what they allegedly said to one another before, during and after the attack — statements that indicate a degree of preparation and determination to rush deep into the halls and tunnels of Congress to make “citizens’ arrests” of elected officials.

“We have about 30-40 of us. We are sticking together and sticking to the plan,” co-defendant Jessica Watkins, 38, an Army veteran, said while the breach was underway, according to court documents.

Some messages, according to the FBI, included, “Tom all legislators are down in the Tunnels 3floors down,” and “Go through back house chamber doors facing N left down hallway down steps.” Another message read: “All members are in the tunnels under capital seal them in. Turn on gas,” the FBI added.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/le ... story.html
Frida Be You & Me

Return to “Open Discussion”