Hey smokers, trying out a relatively new product.

All things outside of Burning Man.
CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Hey smokers, trying out a relatively new product.

Post by CapSmashy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:59 pm

I feel off the smoking wagon in September, due in part to Burning Man when I found a full pack of Marlboro Reds on the Playa. We were gonna stop once we got home (that pack lasted 2 of us 6 days) but the day we got home, my wife learned her father had a brain tumor and a bad prognosis. So... we kept smoking.

Anyway. I know I should quit again, but I really don't want to, but I hate the smoke smell, dirty ashtrays, etc...

The product is called NJoy and they are "electric" cigarettes that were unveiled at teh 2008 Consumer Electronics Show. Costco started carrying them recently as a mail order item and I thought i would give them a try. If it sucks, I can return it to Costco for a refund.

It looks like a cigarette, only about 10% or so bigger. The "cigarette" part is a rechargeable battery, the filter tip is a vaporizer and the cartridge. Inside the cartridge is nicotine, water, propylene glycol and a flavor additive. Each cartridge is approx equivalent to a pack of cigarettes in terms of average draws taken while smoking.

It arrived today and so far I am pretty impressed with it. It "hits" like a real cigarette and you exhale water vapor. For all practical purposes, it looks like you are smoking, and more importantly for the smoker, it really feels like you are smoking. There is even an led in the tip that lights up when you take a drag.

The nice thing is, all you are getting is the nicotine. Its smoking, but 95% healthier for you. :lol: Because there is no combustion, no fire involved and no smoke, you can use them in places where smoking is prohibited. They are even TSA approved for airports and airlines.

I'm gonna use it for a week to decide how I really like it, but so far, I am pretty sold on it. It will give me a chance to evaluate the claims for battery life and how long the cartridges last, etc.

The cartridges come in regular, menthol, apple, vanilla and cherry at nicotine strengths of high, medium, low and zero. It came with high strength cartridges and they are giving me more than I normally get so I've been pretty buzzed since this afternoon.

Anyway, if you are interested in checking them out for yourself, they have a website and there are several review videos up on Youtube about them and I'll post a follow up.

Oh, in terms of cost, the starter kit from Costco (has 2 batteries, a charger and 15 cartridges) was about $10 more than buying 2 cartons of cigarettes and the refills of 10 cartridges are $20 a pop. If they really do last as long as a pack per cartridge, I'll start saving money for my habit with the first refill order.

I have zero vested interest in this product and I am merely passing on info for other smokers for a smoke free alternative that will make "smoking" less of an issue.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.

**burn**

Post by **burn** » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:47 pm

I have seen these.
If I didn't know it was water vapor you were exhaling, I would not have known it.
Risky

The Booby Bar in
http://terminalvillage.com

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:52 pm

That sounds cool, I do have a pretty wicked cough, but I blame crack mostly.

That would be a godsend at airports.........
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

**burn**

Post by **burn** » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:02 pm

I know someone is presenting this to our Nevada Legislature to circumvent the new law making smoking in restaurants (including bars and lounges that serve food) illegal.
Risky

The Booby Bar in
http://terminalvillage.com

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:32 pm

I will be using it out in public tomorrow for dinner. Should be interesting. :)

pizzamancer
Burning Since: 2008

Post by pizzamancer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:54 pm

I smoked for 20 years, and know that if I ever have another one I will pick it right back and be back at a pack a day in no time. Gimmicks aren't going to help much, and there isn't much 'safe' nicotine.

sattelite5812

Post by sattelite5812 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:35 pm

Wow, what a great invention! Like CapSmashy, I don't want to quit smoking, but don't like smelling like an ashtray all the time. Plus they just passed a law here making it illegal to smoke in bars :shock: I hate going out alone in the cold to get my nic fix.

Keep us posted on how well they work!

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:38 am

At least you don't have to stand 25 feet from the door or window , like they do in Washington state...........

Yeah, Smashy, that sounds like it would be fun to smoke in a restuarant, just to see how they react.
It's not tobacco, after all..........Good luck and keep us posted.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

gyre

Not 95% Safer

Post by gyre » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:32 am

I have heard of this from japan, I think.
Not much safer than regular smoking, though they may remove some of the toxic additives like ammonia.
It seems to be just for the novelty and to be allowed to hit up in no smoking locations.

Nicotine is a devastating drug on the blood system.
One of my doctors offers a free class in diet and exercise and blood chemistry to all patients.

When a surgeon came by to answer questions, someone asked about lung problems from smoking, since they only discussed the immediate and catastrophic effects on the heart.
He told them not to worry about it, because statistically very few smokers ever get far enough along for that to happen.
He said you should worry about heart failure, stroke and other things allowed by a compromised blood system long before lung issues occur.

Quit smoking.
Stay around and play.

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:37 am

Devastating is a little over the top in regards to nicotine alone and its effects. Yes, it elevates blood pressure slightly and may lead to other issues, but the truly harmful issues related to smoking come from the chemicals and toxins produced in the smoke.

Sure, you have what your doctor has said and I have what my doctor has said about it and they disagree to the degree of the harmful effects. I discussed this with my doc and he said while not as good as not smoking, it is light years better than breathing smoke all day.

As mentioned above, the NJoy allows for users that choose to do so, to reduce their nicotine intake to zero while still being able to maintain their "habit" of smoking. It is not billed or advertised as a smoking cessation product, but can be utilized to ween yourself off of nicotine over time.

The habit is what I missed significantly more than the nicotine. Nicotine replacement products like the patch or gum did nothing for me to ease my cravings for a smoke when I used them in the past to quit.

I am on day two of using this product and I am already feeling the good effects of not breathing smoke all day. I am already noticing a difference on the elliptical in terms of my endurance levels. Probably mostly psychological, but it keeps the motivation levels high and I know there will be cardio endurance benefits from the last time I quit smoking.

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:38 am

Oh, and these are not from Japan, they are from Arizona.

There are other, similar products on the market, but they have pretty negative reviews in terms of their functionality for satisfying smoker cravings.

RegRad

Post by RegRad » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:04 am

CapSmashy-
I wish you all the best with your new Goal to stop smoking. I too am an ex-smoker. I have not smoked for 9 years and 22 days, it's easy to figure out because I haven't smoked since Jan. 1st 2000.
I quit cold turkey from a 2 pack-a-day habit. It really surprised my friends because of my addictive behavior. They were floored when I just stopped and left it behind. I got to a point where, like you, I began to hate everything about it... The smell, the dirtiness, the cost, my declining health...
In the month prior to quitting I psyched myself up to quit, telling myself everyday that I would stop at the new year.
I can't stress enough how really developing a disgust for it can help you in so many ways, I never had withdraws or nic fits because I TRULY became disgusted with it and was ready to leave it behind. We can all say we want to quit, but when "Truly" in your heart you want no part of something it is easier for the mind to follow....

Again, I wish you great success with being a QUITTER! :lol:

-Reg
-End Communication

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:04 am

Cap'n Smashy...These seem like the most perfect idea for yours truely!
I hate everything about smoking...except for me lighting up that first beautiful smoke of the morning....and the one after that and the one after that! etc....etc....

But yes, titwi has it in his mind to quit...boy I sure am scared of that...for one...I like to smoke, and simply have not got it into my brain that I too, must quit, or not live to see my grandchildren graduate or marry!
I unfortunately havent wrapped my mind around the whole concept of quitting.

Im not neccesarily a heavy smoker...some days if I have 5 smokes...im still ok. So I know most of it is the 30 fucking+ years of me giving into these lil' buggers!

But my friends who dont smoke, must endure the smell and caustic idea just to hang around.
That is a very selfish.
....and titally not my style.
But kay sara sara, has been what I have, unbeknownst to even myself have been saying all these years...er' decades...shit!!!!

Yes, please keep us up to date on this new contraption. Cause hold on baby...when I go to quit. I dont see the audiance cheering for my quest...I see them telling me to shut the fuck up and have a cig already to bash down my evil withdrawal symptoms.

Oh...and to those of you who dont smoke, never have. get out of here, if your going to knock any(even if stupid) idea of what it takes to quit.

Ciggerette/nicotene addiction is only one peg ABOVE addiction to herione!

Worse we are trying to quit TWO things...the nicotene addiction and the finger toy addiction!

Its Mind and body...not just a chemical dependance, mental. and thats HUGE!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:13 am

pinemom wrote: Its Mind and body...not just a chemical dependance, mental. and thats HUGE!
Yep, you hit the nail right on the head. Once you REALLY make the decision, you will quit.

My partner went to Nicotene Anonymous to quit--He went to one or two meetings a year--and he smoked the entire time. I could never understand why he even bothered to go if he was going to continue smoking. He would just say that he was doing the 'mental work' he needed to do to break the addiction.

Then, in about a year, he just quit. He still goes to the meetings occaisionally to get his chips, but he hasn't smoked anoter cigarette in three years.

I was also a smoker for 20 years. Have not smoked now in over 20 years, but I actually had cravings for about 5 years after quitting.

Anyway, when you finally make the decision to stop, whatever your motivation will be, I have no doubt that you will do it!

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

ALICEtheGOON

Post by ALICEtheGOON » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:34 am

smashy ...Let us know how its going with that.

do they sell electric joints?

If I can get high without getting busted on a piss test Ill be very happy

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:44 am

ALICEtheGOON wrote:smashy ...Let us know how its going with that.

A foolproof way to beat a piss test.

Get some clean urine from a donor, empty your bladder, squirt donor urine in the hole. It hurts a lil but it works.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:57 am

Damn, you should market that.

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:04 pm

Toolmaker wrote:

A foolproof way to beat a piss test.

Get some clean urine from a donor, empty your bladder, squirt donor urine in the hole. It hurts a lil but it works.
OUCH! (Not to mention the possibility of infection.)

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

SilverOrange

Post by SilverOrange » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:36 pm

Boy, I could have used one of these the last twenty years of being a second class citizen in California. I just moved to Michigan and it's very strange to be able to smoke in bars and restaurants. The writing is on the wall here too though. This is probably a good thing, though, as I do know how harmful it is to me. I want to quit, yet I love smoking. I could see this as a really useful tool to try to make that happen. I already switched to American Spirits and that has helped a little in as much as I'm just smoking tobacco without all the chemicals, but the nicotene without the smoke filled lungs would have to be another positive step in the right direction.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:44 pm

Smashy, maybe come back and shill for the product after a month or so. Otherwise it sort of sounds like the smoker who hasn't had a cigarette for a day or two trumpeting the virtues of quitting.

betrdanevr

Post by betrdanevr » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:57 pm

You go, Cap'n Smashy!!!

I've been a heavy smoker for 35 years and I want to see you beat this!

Terri

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:38 pm

They went into great detail about what happens and how quickly, and nicotine was their primary focus.
It is true that the toxins added to enhance the speed of delivery and increase the addictiveness are a big factor in the strength of addiction.
It does in fact hit the system faster than directly injecting heroin.
The speed is a primary factor in the addictive quality.
The rapid drop off of effects also makes it worse than other drugs in creating craving.

The studies that show that people smoking "light" cigarettes tend to smoke more to get the same effect, would concern me in this case.
Other than that effect, it will certainly be healthier to reduce poison intake.
I hope the loss of delivery toxins helps to reduce the addictive effects for you.

I can't remember all the details of the class now, but they went in depth about the immediate and long term effects and many I had never heard mentioned before.
It is quite dramatic though.
If you have any heart or blood issues at all, it can be enough to shift you from the "preventable heart failure" class to the "likely" group.

I'm sure many people want you to stick around.
Good luck!

Source for the class I attended.
http://www.sterncardio.com/Research.aspx

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:41 pm

Consider Chantix.

http://tinyurl.com/ydq7re

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:53 pm

Isotopia wrote:Smashy, maybe come back and shill for the product after a month or so. Otherwise it sort of sounds like the smoker who hasn't had a cigarette for a day or two trumpeting the virtues of quitting.
I'm not shilling for the product any more than say Robotland shills for Goop.

My sole intent for the initial post was a head's up for smokers that might be interested in trying something different that seems to work pretty good as a smokeless alternative and a method for ordering the product that negates the risk of having to wait forever for a refund from the manufacturer if they have access to Costco.
Consider Chantix.
For me personally, it would most likely not be worth the expense of going on the pills. I have gotten the negative side effects from any type of mood altering prescription chemical I have ever been prescribed.

Out of probably 10 people I know that have tried Chantix, 4 reported having negative experiences and stopping it within a week and of the 6 that stayed on it, only one actually quit smoking and has stayed smoke free.

Those are not very good odds considering I would have to pay for it out of my own pocket.

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:55 pm

betrdanevr wrote:You go, Cap'n Smashy!!!

I've been a heavy smoker for 35 years and I want to see you beat this!

Terri
I'm not necessarily looking to quit my habit, just make it a little better for me. :)

Like I said, I enjoy smoking a whole lot. I like how it helps regulate my daily schedule, etc.

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:56 pm

:lol: No electric joints on their website, but they do have a cigar version. :)

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:02 pm

gyre wrote:They went into great detail about what happens and how quickly, and nicotine was their primary focus.
It is true that the toxins added to enhance the speed of delivery and increase the addictiveness are a big factor in the strength of addiction.
It does in fact hit the system faster than directly injecting heroin.
The speed is a primary factor in the addictive quality.
The rapid drop off of effects also makes it worse than other drugs in creating craving.

The studies that show that people smoking "light" cigarettes tend to smoke more to get the same effect, would concern me in this case.
Other than that effect, it will certainly be healthier to reduce poison intake.
I hope the loss of delivery toxins helps to reduce the addictive effects for you.

I can't remember all the details of the class now, but they went in depth about the immediate and long term effects and many I had never heard mentioned before.
It is quite dramatic though.
If you have any heart or blood issues at all, it can be enough to shift you from the "preventable heart failure" class to the "likely" group.

I'm sure many people want you to stick around.
Good luck!

Source for the class I attended.
http://www.sterncardio.com/Research.aspx
I hear what you are saying and I am under no illusions that nicotine is good for me.

According to my annual lab work and physicals, I have no issues to really be concerned with concerning blood/heart issues nor is there is a family history of such things.

There is some diabetes history, but so far its not even a blip on my screen and I have always tried to watch my sugar intake. The worse my numbers have ever been was the almost 3 year period I had quit smoking. I gained quite a bit of weight and had replaced my habit with food. It was relatively healthy food, but way too much of it. :lol:

Although, I do get to add PSA screening and have to go in for the "finger" check at some point this year because my dad was recently diagnosed and undergoing treatment for prostate cancer. They caught it very early and there are no concerns of him not responding well to treatments.

sattelite5812

Post by sattelite5812 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:54 am

So, how is the continued N-Joyment?

Since the recent tobacco tax hike, the price of a pouch of Drum has increased by a whopping 120% !!! Because N-Joy is not technically tobacco, the price doesn't seem to be affected. It's looking so much more attractive than ever, I'm poised with my finger over the "order now" button, just waiting for confirmation that it works...
----------------------------------------------------------
It's the ones who've cracked that the light shines through

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:46 am

I too am interested. I am pretty much done with the withdraw n such from quitting the daily weed intake to the tune of an ounce a week. I am ready for another shot at getting off the nicostik. I tried the patch and got so ill it wasn't funny. I tried the gum and lozenge and still wanted to smoke like a chimney but didn't get as sick as I did with the patch. I tried that Chantix shit and that crap had me wanting to blow my brains out I was so fuckin depressed. I shit you not, at one point I had one of my 45s in my mouth ready to go.. friends won't let friends go on Chantix. Of course I had a couple other factors as well but it was mostly the pill, once I got off that garbage I got sorted within a week.

I started a whole body cleanse yesterday from enzymatic therapy. Hopefully this will help get rid of some of the poisons in my system. I'm gonna try quitting cold turkey from the cigs Monday and hope I don't kill anyone but that never lasts more than a couple days usually. I am interested to know of any other detox/colon cleanser products that may work better or are cheaper. This one was recommended to be a little easier to use and a easier on your body than some of the other ones out there.

Oh yeah.. I have been off the soda for MONTHS now.. only drinking water and tazo teas and have noticed an improvement in the plumbing functions. I look forward to NOT having another kidney stone.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:52 am

I found a full pack of Marlboro Reds

my plan worked perfectly...

yes, i've been smoking now for almost 25 years, and the only time i quit was in Lovelock at the involuntary work spa. 60 days later, the FIRST thing i did was run across the street to the safeway and buy a carton of smokes...at the time you could smoke in grocery stores (which is the coolest thing EVER) so i ripped open the carton and lit that thing up before i even got to the register.

by the time i got outside, the cowboy killer had kicked me in the head so hard, i felt dizzy, and nausea only like a first, morning cigarette can do.

god, it was SO good.

so, after i got home my friends tried to convince me to quit, having gone so long without.

they actually bought me a stack of the Patches to help me.

the problem with the patches is, they taste like shit, and they wont stay lit.

ba dum dum.
Frida Be You & Me

Return to “Open Discussion”