Hazardous Waste Disposal

All things outside of Burning Man.
Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Hazardous Waste Disposal

Post by Elderberry » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:47 am

OK, we have about 20 gallons of gas left over from last year's burning man. Couldn't use it because it is mixed with oil for the generator. So, we thought we'd do the right thing and take it to our local hazardous waste disposal location.

After numerous calls to first try to find out where there was a hazardous waste disposal location reasonably close to us, then having to deal with the most ill informed people that finally did answer the phone, we just decided to drive over there.

When we got there, they commenced to put our gas into a 55 gallon drum--cans and all!!! Since we had those good metal gas cans that cost us about $40.00 each, that was totally unacceptable and we just packed up our cans and our gas and left--cursing and exclaiming that we'd just dump it all down the storm drains.

This just wasted our entire morning. So, I have a couple of questions. First, can you put gas in those 1 gallon plastic milk containers? I was thinking we'd just transfer the gas into those and then take them to the recycle facility in a couple of trips.

Second, if the milk containers won't hold gas; what whould be the best way to dump it down the storm drain? I was thinking of mixing the gas with soap so that it would mix better with water, then go out to the curb in the middle of the night with a hose and just start dumping.

And cities wonder why recycle programs don't get more people eager to recycle--they make it way too difficult to do the right thing.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:20 pm

why not just run your gennie till it's all gone ?

you could use the elictricity and save money on your power bill that way.

You could also place an ad on Cragslist, giving it away.

A lot of things still use mixed gas

just don't dump it down the drain.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Hazardous Waste Disposal

Post by ygmir » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:53 pm

jkisha wrote:OK, we have about 20 gallons of gas left over from last year's burning man. Couldn't use it because it is mixed with oil for the generator. So, we thought we'd do the right thing and take it to our local hazardous waste disposal location.

After numerous calls to first try to find out where there was a hazardous waste disposal location reasonably close to us, then having to deal with the most ill informed people that finally did answer the phone, we just decided to drive over there.

When we got there, they commenced to put our gas into a 55 gallon drum--cans and all!!! Since we had those good metal gas cans that cost us about $40.00 each, that was totally unacceptable and we just packed up our cans and our gas and left--cursing and exclaiming that we'd just dump it all down the storm drains.

This just wasted our entire morning. So, I have a couple of questions. First, can you put gas in those 1 gallon plastic milk containers? I was thinking we'd just transfer the gas into those and then take them to the recycle facility in a couple of trips.

Second, if the milk containers won't hold gas; what would be the best way to dump it down the storm drain? I was thinking of mixing the gas with soap so that it would mix better with water, then go out to the curb in the middle of the night with a hose and just start dumping.

And cities wonder why recycle programs don't get more people eager to recycle--they make it way too difficult to do the right thing.

JK
Hey JK;

dang, you sound frustrated..........
I bet, someone would take it for free from Craigslist, a lot of chainsaws and weedwackers use it....lots of things do........
If you have to something desperate, I'd think burn it rather than dump it down the drain.........put it in a metal barrel or bucket half full of dirt or sand, and, light the top.........nice tiki torch........

not only a huge fine for dumping, but, kinda, not ok...........
If anyone you know has an older diesel vehicle, they can mix it up to about 10% with WVO or WMO and, burn that for fuel.
or, an older gas vehicle, pre catalytic converter could use it, mixed with regular gas............

maybe stop at the next group of lawn care or tree maintenance folks and give it to them,......I'm sure something they have will use it.

good luck
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:10 pm

How long does gas keep? I thought it was already bad.

I am frustrated. Mainly I am wondering if it would be ok to put it into plastic milk jugs. Not for storage, just to use to take it back to the recycling place. I just didn't know if the gas would melt the plastic milk containers.

Maybe I'll try listing it on CL in the free section.

JK
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:55 pm

jkisha wrote:How long does gas keep? I thought it was already bad.

I am frustrated. Mainly I am wondering if it would be ok to put it into plastic milk jugs. Not for storage, just to use to take it back to the recycling place. I just didn't know if the gas would melt the plastic milk containers.

JK
I've put it in milk jugs........any HDPE plastic will contain it.
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to transport that way, but...........

I was thinking:
you might check the papers and such to see if any pro sports team in your area has won or lost a big game?
I bet the celebrants could make use of it.............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

mk-ultra

Post by mk-ultra » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:39 pm

jkisha wrote:How long does gas keep? I thought it was already bad.

JK
Gas keeps for a surprisingly long time IF it's kept in containers that are full. Half-full containers (especially if vented at all) tend to get water condensation in them at night as they cool, which can then drip into the fuel.

Even water-contaminated fuel can easily be made usable. Water is heavier than gasoline and sinks to the bottom. You can pour off 90% of the gas (slowly) and leave the water behind. If in doubt, check your fuel by pouring a bit into a clear glass -- if there's water in it, you'll see it at the bottom after letting the fuel settle for a minute or two.

I've used gasoline that's sat for two years with no issue at all. Like I said, it's really easy to tell if it's contaminated. Clean fuel should be clear (not cloudy) and have no water at the bottom of the glass. Just pour out a bit in a glass and have a look at it.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:25 pm

I'm not totally sure jkiska, but I heard that if you plug it into you house's outlet the excess electric that your refrig and other appliances don't use will turn you meter backward. I don't know if its true, but sounds like you can save some of your investment there.

If your house burns down from trying guess you need to go to BM to see a good burn.

AIIZ

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:40 pm

I'm sure your local fire department could use it. If they can't use it in their chainsaws, generators,or small engine stuff: they can always mix it with diesal, motor oil, and kerosene to put in their drip cans to start backfires.

Briggs & Stratton has a good video on how to use their gas powered generators at http://www.homegeneratorsystems.com/ .

I would suggest, before firing up that generator, that you switchoff main line or flip breakers, you don't want to fry that lineman on a pole the next street over.

Photovolatic systems use battery banks with inverters and voltage regulators/ surge protestors. On dark days you can hook up and charge your batteries with a gas generator.
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:45 pm

If you hook up your generator to your household system without it being synchonised - you are going to smoke your generator, blow a transformer on the pole or kill yourself outright.

Most meters are designed to meter power in either direction, but you have to know what your doing first.

You will need a switch gear to isolate the house. cheapest ones are about 230 bucks at home depot.

later

BetaBox

Post by BetaBox » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:00 pm

if you dump it down the drain, i will find you; i will hunt you down. ya, i know threats over the internet, but seriously, DO NOT dump shit down the drain. go to china for that shit instead of contaminating several million gallons of my drinking water/surfing water. who the fuck do you think you are to poison the commons like that. I know LA is a shithole, but seriously, would you dump a portapottie in the middle of the playa. shit like this blows my fucking mind. you made the responsible adult decision to buy said petroleum products, and you AS AN ADULT are responsible for proper disposal of said items. period.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:12 pm

BetaBox wrote:if you dump it down the drain, i will find you; i will hunt you down. ya, i know threats over the internet, but seriously, DO NOT dump shit down the drain. go to china for that shit instead of contaminating several million gallons of my drinking water/surfing water. who the fuck do you think you are to poison the commons like that. I know LA is a shithole, but seriously, would you dump a portapottie in the middle of the playa. shit like this blows my fucking mind. you made the responsible adult decision to buy said petroleum products, and you AS AN ADULT are responsible for proper disposal of said items. period.
Yes, its best to allow it to dry out instead of dumping down the drain. But I think you should use it like old man says, take your house off line and watch tv, do a load of wash and dry and recharge your wife's vibrator!

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:21 pm

BetaBox wrote:if you dump it down the drain, i will find you; i will hunt you down. ya, i know threats over the internet, but seriously, DO NOT dump shit down the drain. go to china for that shit instead of contaminating several million gallons of my drinking water/surfing water. who the fuck do you think you are to poison the commons like that. I know LA is a shithole, but seriously, would you dump a portapottie in the middle of the playa. shit like this blows my fucking mind. you made the responsible adult decision to buy said petroleum products, and you AS AN ADULT are responsible for proper disposal of said items. period.
Yes and I also made the ADULT decision to take it to the hazardous materials disposal and they REFUSED it. Who the hell is going to take gas to a hazardous disposal site run by the city/county and leave their gas cans??? How can they even expect that? I tried to do the responsible thing; so whatever I decide to do now, it wasn't that I didn't try to do the right thing.

Plus I hear if you use enough soap that it will mix well with water and we are expecting another rain storm on monday.

JK

This footnote is just for you, I was just venting because of the rediculous expectation of having to give up my gas cans to dispose of the gas properly, but it's assholes like you that make me want to just dump it right down the storm drain right now!
JK

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:49 pm

but it's assholes like you that make me want to just dump it right down the storm drain right now!
I know you're just venting here as well, but I have to admit that the comment about dumping it did also make me be do a double take.

Have you contacted your local or city government about what could be done to help them get a better hazardous waste disposal system? Could just take a few phone calls to people. Who knows? Maybe you could even be instrumental in changing the way it's handled now.

After all, if you would jokingly suggest that you'd dump it down the drain, knowing you actually wouldn't, how many have really done it and said nothing?

For a more immediate resolution, I vote for donate to neighbors with two-cycle engines, the lawn care folks or Local Fire Dept.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Major_Disaster

Post by Major_Disaster » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:55 pm

Burners can't figure out what to do with old gas and oil???

Like, DUH, BURN IT!!

Bring it next year and use it fuel some registered fire art....POOF!!

betrdanevr

Post by betrdanevr » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:38 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:
but it's assholes like you that make me want to just dump it right down the storm drain right now!
I know you're just venting here as well, but I have to admit that the comment about dumping it did also make me be do a double take.

Have you contacted your local or city government about what could be done to help them get a better hazardous waste disposal system? Could just take a few phone calls to people. Who knows? Maybe you could even be instrumental in changing the way it's handled now.

After all, if you would jokingly suggest that you'd dump it down the drain, knowing you actually wouldn't, how many have really done it and said nothing?

For a more immediate resolution, I vote for donate to neighbors with two-cycle engines, the lawn care folks or Local Fire Dept.
Bingo.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:51 pm

For those of you that suggested that I call and talk to someone that's great, I'd love to. Yesterday, I called every number I could find for Hazardous Waste to just ask the question about their policy. Every number but one was press for this press for that and no press for any live person was even offered. The one number I was lucky enough to find a live person I was informed that she was just call center and she didn't know anything other than the addresses and that there were no direct numbers to any of the locations nor could she direct me to anyone else that might have known the procedure.

So, having felt like I had no other option, I just set out on the treck this morning optomistic that they would have some sort of drums into which I would deposit my gas. You all read the rest of the story.

At any rate, thanks to whoever suggested that I post this on Craig's List on the "Free" section, the story has a happy ending--some gardener is coming by the house tomorrow to collect the gas.

All I was looking for were some options as to how to get it out of my garage (as Hazardous Waste Disposal would not take it) and thanks to many of you, was able to get the problem solved--which was why I posted in the first place. :)

Thanks,

JK
JK

betrdanevr

Post by betrdanevr » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:53 pm

Great news!

I guess you told him to bring cans? :lol:

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:59 pm

betrdanevr wrote:Great news!

I guess you told him to bring cans? :lol:
and a funnel! :)

JK
JK

cutmeoffandcallmeshorty

Post by cutmeoffandcallmeshorty » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:11 pm

and a Buddhist Monk.
"Tis better to be well disliked,
Than not liked at all."
Ned Kelly, 1884, Australian Outlaw.

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:18 am

Any large construction sites nearby? take it there and leave it. Pass the buck and they will sertainly find use for it.

We use to burn old gas in our trucks, every time you fill up add a half gallon or so.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:27 am

mdmf007 wrote:Any large construction sites nearby? take it there and leave it. Pass the buck and they will sertainly find use for it.

We use to burn old gas in our trucks, every time you fill up add a half gallon or so.
Could it be used in a truck/car if there was oil mixed in it? (50/1)

I guess my whole frustration is that the recycling centers make it so hard to recycle hazardous waste. Recycling is a pain anyway (especially if you grew up in an era where there really never was such a thing) and most people are basically lazy; So, you would think that recycling centers and city/county governments would do everything possible to make the process as painless as possible.

Maybe if I had those cheap gas cans from Pep Boys I might have considered leaving them; but when you pay $40 plus for metal cans it's ridiculous to think you would leave them at the facility.

At any rate, there have been a lot of good alternatives suggested in this thread which I am sure will help others that have found themselves in this same predicament.

The free listings on Craig's List solved my problem.

JK
JK

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:33 am

jkisha wrote:
mdmf007 wrote:Any large construction sites nearby? take it there and leave it. Pass the buck and they will sertainly find use for it.

Could it be used in a truck/car if there was oil mixed in it? (50/1)

JK
yes, especially in pre-catalyst vehicles......mixing it 20:1 with fresh gas is fine.

you can also, especially in cold weather, put it 10% in diesel........

or mix it with motor oil 50/50 and add it to diesel

the military has a whole section in their combat service manuals for tactical vehicles regarding "improvised fuels"....and, approx mixing ratios......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:35 am

Certainly -

a gallon of 50:1 added to 25 gallons in a full tank is now 1250:1 your engine wouldnt miss abeat.

at 50:1 you can run just about any gas guzzling engine on anyways. I am sure I am going to get disagreement, but from PERSONNALY burning hundredds of gallons left over from fire seasons in my trucks and cars - I have never had a problem. Run it through a strainer if your going to burn it in your car, keeps the goo balls out of the tank.

later

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:42 am

mdmf007 wrote:Certainly -

a gallon of 50:1 added to 25 gallons in a full tank is now 1250:1 your engine wouldnt miss abeat.

at 50:1 you can run just about any gas guzzling engine on anyways. I am sure I am going to get disagreement, but from PERSONNALY burning hundredds of gallons left over from fire seasons in my trucks and cars - I have never had a problem. Run it through a strainer if your going to burn it in your car, keeps the goo balls out of the tank.

later
I agree and have run MIX in a four stroke generator in a pinch. EFI ignitions should easily overcome any change in burn characteristic.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:11 pm

I had to dispose of some medicine that someone didn't need anymore. It was a lot of stuff.

The hospital said that my pharmacy was taking it, so I went to them. The staff pharmy had to check with her superior, who wasn't quite sure either (making it sound like nobody was asking), but then said no they weren't set up for it (as if I was???).

They handed me something from the water district about where to take it. They seemed familiar with the location, as if they went there every week.

So I had time to drive all the way out there in the swamp, next to the landfill. Gravel parking lot, no cars were there. I went in and said I had a bunch of meds. The nice lady threw it all in a bin and said that they get "a lot" of people bringing in their old meds. I sounded to me that she thought EVERYONE brought in their unused meds and NOBODY flushed theirs down the toilet or tipped it into the dustbin, but my feeling is that we have a long way to go with this.

can't sit still

Post by can't sit still » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:10 pm

Some years ago, there was quite a quantity of gas that ran down the sewers in a city in mexico. Somehow it got ignited and blew the streets all to hell. It blew out everything from the pipes clear up to the sky..... something to avoid :wink:
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

betrdanevr

Post by betrdanevr » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:36 pm

Guadalajara - 1992

It wasn't actually caused by dumping gas into the sewers but instead was caused by corrosion in a water pipe that caused corrosion of an adjacent gas line pipe -- not that you said it was from dumping. Just sayin'.

No matter the cause, though, as you say, it was disastrous!

A beautiful city, too, best of my memory, as I'd been there to the market in around '90. :cry:

can't sit still

Post by can't sit still » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:58 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I was quoting from memory,,, too lazy to google.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

betrdanevr

Post by betrdanevr » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:05 pm

Well, thank you for the info, as that fiasco had gone right by me. . .

Took me back to some good memories 20 years ago. I haven't traveled nearly enough in my life, but I even remember the wonderful old hotel room there. Probably $6 a night, best I recall.

Deaths are tragedy enough, but that old architecture . . .

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:54 pm

Long version off of Youtube - Devastation is just tremendous explosion starts in the video at 3:30 or so in the video

[youtube][/youtube]

Return to “Open Discussion”