I just got laid off.....

All things outside of Burning Man.
flatlander13

I just got laid off.....

Post by flatlander13 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:26 am

I just got laid off from a job that I didn’t like, but worried about losing because I made good money doing it. I’ve been told that this is the worst time in my lifetime to be unemployed……..really I couldn’t be happier…….I wonder what’s next?

Anyone else lose their job lately?

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:16 pm

I just got off being laid!

Whoo Hooo!

Now you too can get laid any time of the day!

time for a road trip!

dj_john69
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Apex

Post by dj_john69 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:13 pm

I got laid off in November. It's a really shitty feeling especially living in Reno where there are ZERO jobs available.

Good luck to you...i hope things work out for ya.

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:57 pm

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:

time for a road trip!

Flatlander. AZ know what he's talking about,, Now get your ass in the car and come on down and see us..... 8) 8) :idea:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:28 pm

no, but I just agreed to a 10% reduction in hours/pay (along with the rest of my Team) so that 1 otherwise unlucky coworker can keep their job...this on top of a ~15% cut in December...

death of a thousand cuts. pretty soon I will be paying them to come towork, and happy for the priviledge!

I was also happiest when unemployed...

hungrier, but happier.

enjoy
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

FrostyMan

Post by FrostyMan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:41 pm

I was laid-off 5 years ago and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Current job is on shaky ground but I already got a plan to turn it into a positive if I do get shit-canned.

Life is funny like that. Seems to know when to kick you in the ass when you get stagnant.

Some people climb the mountain on their own, others are chased up it.
"That which you manifest, is before you" - Enzo the Dog; The Art of Racing in the Rain

flatlander13

Post by flatlander13 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:53 am

I have been through 5 lay offs with 2 companies over the past 11 years. This is the first time I got swacked. I feel sorry for the people who are left. The company that just laid me off is a company of 500 people and 1/3 of them just lost their jobs…..

I was nervous until my boss told me I was “Out.â€

geospyder
Burning Since: 2017

Post by geospyder » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:18 am

FrostyMan wrote:I was laid-off 5 years ago and it was the best thing that ever happened to me.
Same here - five years ago - but in my case I never bothered to look for another job. Figured it was time to retire and enjoy life.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

flatlander13

Post by flatlander13 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:09 pm

The day we got laid off I did get asked to, “Stop high fiving everyone who got laid off.â€

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:31 pm

[quote="flatlander13"]The day we got laid off I did get asked to, “Stop high fiving everyone who got laid off.â€
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:47 pm

laid off....hopefully you already have your ticket in hand...

All the more time to create some killer art/costume/games, etc for the burn
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:59 pm

[quote="flatlander13"]The day we got laid off I did get asked to, “Stop high fiving everyone who got laid off.â€

Joltz

Post by Joltz » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:31 pm

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:52 am

At least we can depend on one auto maker to help out during a financial crisis.

http://toilette-humor.com/commercials/H ... ndex.shtml

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:34 am

[youtube][/youtube]
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:55 pm

My current shop is closing.. the last place I was closed. I prefer working in job shops for the variety of parts to make and the small size. I find working for the bigger companies you don't get appreciated as much. This sadly allows for a faster shutdown when shit gets the way it is now. The chopper builder went south so the bike we were gonna make are not gonna happen. We lost the Holley carb job since that was only overflow from the shop with the regular contract with holley. My converted schoolbus idea has yet to take off so we are still trying to find shit to machine. The lathes are down to 2 guys from 6 and the milling dept is down to 2 from 8. I am the only designer, cnc programmer, and machinist in the shop that can run everything so I will be the last to go but its lookin like we will be closed by the end of the month. We have NO backlog right now and we have NO material on the shelves which is sort of depressing.

Me and the wife have decided to switch to the medical field, her nursing and me EMT for the excitment. I can't do the nursing thing since I need a challenge and some excitment. I'm thinkin I'm best suited for EMT type stuff and she's perfect for the nurse field in any capacity. I will still make stuff as a hobby and by making more money we will be able to afford to get into projects like I've always wanted to similar to David Best, Elliot, Tiahaar and others works of art.

I've always prided myself in doing shit right or as close to right as I'm permitted. I think in the medical field I may be better and happier. I won't be making parts but I will make people better so at least I'm making something.

Something for folks to consider. Medical personnel can't be outsourced overseas and there seems to be alot of demand. Hospitals I've looked at have alot of job openings posted farly often. Auto mechanics can't be sent overseas either, same goes for plumbers and other related trades. Manufacturing may be down for the count but there's still some stuff out there that can't be sent overseas.

Maybe if thing go right next year I will be able to bring the bus out to BM and do it with style instead of being the bum I am with limited funds.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:04 pm

Toolmaker, pm me if you have any questions on the ems gig, been doing it for almost 18 yrs now and can tell you good, the bad and the ugly :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:12 pm

I started my first day with my new Truck driving job today.

the girl who does the piss testing at the clinic said I am the first new hire test this week in Reno.

This is a large company(United Trucking) and the hook that got me the job was because I grew up in Montana, as my boss is from there too.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:17 pm

Toolmaker wrote: Me and the wife have decided to switch to the medical field, her nursing and me EMT for the excitment. I can't do the nursing thing since I need a challenge and some excitment. I'm thinkin I'm best suited for EMT type stuff and she's perfect for the nurse field in any capacity.
In my experience there is a definite "type." Just like firefighting and copping (it is too a word, I just created it with rules and word elements in common usage) being an adreniline junkie helps. You might think about ER nurse. Same dirty thrills, less time listening to a siren.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:19 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:I started my first day with my new Truck driving job today.

the girl who does the piss testing at the clinic said I am the first new hire test this week in Reno.

This is a large company(United Trucking) and the hook that got me the job was because I grew up in Montana, as my boss is from there too.
to quote the Montana shepherd:

I'm from Montana, and, I want to go bbbbaaaaaaccccckkkkk............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Fri May 01, 2009 7:22 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Toolmaker wrote: Me and the wife have decided to switch to the medical field, her nursing and me EMT for the excitment. I can't do the nursing thing since I need a challenge and some excitment. I'm thinkin I'm best suited for EMT type stuff and she's perfect for the nurse field in any capacity.
In my experience there is a definite "type." Just like firefighting and copping (it is too a word, I just created it with rules and word elements in common usage) being an adreniline junkie helps. You might think about ER nurse. Same dirty thrills, less time listening to a siren.
But I LIKE sirens.

Especially the air raid one used for Crude Awakening. :)
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

Monkeypoo
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Bahama Mamas!

Post by Monkeypoo » Mon May 04, 2009 2:12 am

Fuck the corporate world. Fuck big huge gobs of money. Who needs it.

Not bragging - just facts. I've had some great jobs with some great companies over the past 20+ years: Sun Microsystems, Intel Corporation, Johnson Controls, Mercy Hospital, Sutter Hospital, Carolinas Medical Trauma Center, many others. Worked as Executive Secretary, Website Designer, Customer Hotline Support, Flash Memory & Motherboard Support, Surgical Staff Assistant, Medical Education Coordinator, and other corporate crap. In August 2007 I said Fuck Y'all. Fuck the Corporate World, Fuck the politics, whatever. Fuck the $45K salary with all its prissy ass 3-piece suits, kissing ass, etc!!

For a year afterwards I waitressed and bartended. Friends and family thought I fucking lost it. I fucking loved waiting tables, bring you your coffee, making up strong-ass drinks, flirting with you, and grabbing up those tips.... For awhile, but even that shit gets old fast. I'm unemployed. Been on unemployment for 6 months now. I get a measly $520 a month. I don't have any materialistic bullshit. It all got burned up in the housefire last Christmas. Halle-fucking-lujah!

I am at my happiest right now. I'm back in California, living with my awesome daughter Sammi, my grandbaby RJ, my ex-hubby (GASP!!), and three satanic cats in a 2-bedroom apartment where I sleep on the couch. My measly $520 buys our food. Ex pays rent. Sammi pays for utilities, diapers, formula, baby clothes, whatever. I made a patio garden with herbs, tomatoes, and other stuff. 5 out of 7 days I don't get any sleep because I'm a fulltime grammypoo, tending to baby while my daughter makes a living piercing people. I do all the laundry, cook meals, clean house, entertain baby day and night.....and I wouldn't have it any other fucking way. When I run out of unemployment, yeah it concerns me, but I'll deal with it when it happens. Right now? I am needed. I am loved. I am appreciated. By family. I get shit done around this place.

There ain't no greater job. Yay!!! :P

Fuck. How did I get so domesticated?????
No matter. I love it. I am right where I want to be and need to be.

This is why we need more communes.

Peace!!

Return to “Open Discussion”