I'm finding this thread very comforting, as this'll be my first Burn. I've been drug and alcohol free for well over a decade, and was wondering if I'd be the only burner not using - guess not!
I've been thinking about wording recently, as I don't personally like the word "sober". Looking at the definition of "sober" from dictionary.com (below), I'm about as far from points 3-8 as one can be!
1. not intoxicated or drunk.
2. habitually temperate, esp. in the use of liquor.
3. quiet or sedate in demeanor, as persons.
4. marked by seriousness, gravity, solemnity, etc., as of demeanor, speech, etc.: a sober occasion.
5. subdued in tone, as color; not gay or showy, as clothes.
6. free from excess, extravagance, or exaggeration: sober facts.
7. showing self-control: sober restraint.
8. sane or rational: a sober solution to the problem.
I've used "drug and alcohol free" for a while now, but that seems clunky.
Then there's what to say when people offer you stuff. My usual response is a cheerful "No thanks!". Sometimes, however, people can be a bit insistent when offering stuff. I've recently started saying "I'm not doing drugs or alcohol right now", which seems to mollify most people. It's very non-judgmental, while also having a connotation that this is a personal choice about right now, not a lifestyle - nothing for anyone to be offended/intimidated/worried about.
See you all at a meeting or two on the Playa!