How Did You Get Your Playa Name?

All things outside of Burning Man.
bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:33 pm

Anyone remember CB radios? Back in the late 70s, My handle was Blue Dog, for no really good reason at the time. (I was probably stoned) When I started to hang out on IRC, the name Blue Dog was taken on the server I was on, so I added the Big. Hence: BigBlueDog. Now know as BigBlueDoggy, BBD, Doggy, Dog, Dawg, Doggy Dave, and any other number of perversions.

Please note, I am neither blue nor furry. Big is a matter I will leave to speculation.
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located at Esplanade and 3:00 in 2018!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:41 pm

Mine started from calling one of my friends (a burner known as Captain Conundrum) on the phone, and his wife Linda usually answering; when she got the phone, I'd usually just say "Goddammit... " and she always replied "What the hell." Then she'd yell across the house "Phil, it's "goddammit" on the phone!"
SO they started calling me "Goddammit".

Then I built a boat. When you're driving a boat, people automatically call you "Captain".

So it became "Captain Goddammit", and stuck.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

**burn**

Post by **burn** » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:46 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:You smell like a mouse.
nuh uh! you've got to be kidding!

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:10 pm

This is fun to hear y'all's stories :-)

OK for me my real first name is Tiahaar but I don't use it in the default world but do here on the eplaya/playa kind of the reverse of standard. Not the name I was given at birth mind you...it came about after I went absolutely gaga over the 'Wraeththu' stories about 10 years ago. Yes and its quite an ordeal to go through the whole legal name change bit let me tell you.

Anyways I never really had someone give me a true playa name till last year, when I was dubbed 'Ponyboy' by the placers...I like it and it fits! It comes from my old bus the Starship Palomino, and the horse tail costume I'm fond of wearing...and the tattoo on my back.

wasn't that mouse caught?
Burning Man 2003-18; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:48 pm

A change in his IP address is as easy as changing internet provider.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:04 pm

[quote="geospyderHere is a shot someone took of me on Thunderhill raceway in NorCal 6-7 years ago. It doesn't show, but this MR2 was heavily modified for the track while keeping it street drivable - suspension, intake, exhaust, etc. When time came for the first CA smog check I registered it in Nevada using our address there. No way with the intake and exhaust modification would it have passed CA Smog even tough it was probably cleaner than what they required. The mods were custom and didn't have the CA certification tags.
Image[/quote]
I've been wondering if you can register a car in california that's modified, if it meets spec on smog.
In my case, there are no original mechanical parts or locations.
Meets 93 specs though.
1984 originally.

geospyder
Burning Since: 2017

Post by geospyder » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:49 pm

gyre wrote:I've been wondering if you can register a car in california that's modified, if it meets spec on smog.
In my case, there are no original mechanical parts or locations.
Meets 93 specs though.
1984 originally.
My problem was that the parts I installed were custom made. The MR2 Spyder was a limited release model. I was one of a very few people racing it. It wasn't cost effective for the manufacturers to go through the cost and paperwork to get a California certification sticker. Without the sticker, it didn't matter if the part met the smog specs or not. No sticker - no pass. Nevada doesn’t even look under the hood. They hook up to the computer and if it meets the factory specs it passes.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:51 pm

Where I register now, I don't even have to prove the car exists.
Title and registration only.
Once I registered a car that no longer existed except as a title and bag of vin tags.

It sounds like exemptions for modified cars no longer exists in california.

Funny, since it's a california custom, as far as bodywork goes.

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:09 pm

I was always Intubater ever since I got online, a play on a job skill I practice, Intubation. Once I got the bug to get involved in Burning Man, I put the call out in the Detroit area on our yahoo site to meet Burners by offering to take them out on my boat for a day of sailing. The first soul brave enough to take me up on the offer gifted me Sail Man, which fits nicely on a license plate btw :lol:

I waited until after the burn to change my name here and on tribes burning man site. Here was easy enough, on tribe it sparked a moderator firestorm that eventually resulted in the BEER coalition coming into power (yes Crypto and Anti M, you can blame me for the Moist Pup fiasco LOL) But all is good now.

In the span of a year, I have gone to my first burn, decomp, led the medical team at out first Great Lakes Regional burn, Lakes of Fire, which totally fucking rocked btw! And now it's crunch time for Burn 2.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:18 pm

Sail Man wrote:I was always Intubater ever since I got online, a play on a job skill I practice, Intubation.
I miss my EMT. Who also was asthmatic, the whole thing was a mess. But I love him.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:07 am

I'm hoping to lose the two I have. The one by which I'm largely recognized is S.C. Libertine

S.C. - where I live
libertine - "A libertine is one devoid of any restraints, especially one who ignores or even spurns accepted morals, and forms of behavior sanctioned by the larger society."

C.f.M. was the latest nickname I got, "Crazy Fucking Myname."

I don't know WHATever they mean. 8)

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:00 am

It wasn't a threat, it was a promise, that I kept.

Step on me and I will hurt you.

:twisted:

Way before BM.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:32 pm

pinemom wrote:Pinemom:

I grew up In Lake Tahoe....
When I was a crazy teen...my nick was D.A.R.B.I.

Cause we were always es'stonied...
(DRUGS ACID REEFER BONG INSANITY)

Later, got married, had kids...as kids turned into teenagers...I was always called MOM by all of them(their friends) But because of other mom's I was reffered to as The PINE mom.

Used it on email addy's etc...since 1994....
Then when I registered on here...I didnt know what else to put.

Now...the name goes without saying... "camp"mom.
Bring in drama and your MOVING OUT!
(You dont gotta go home, ya just cant stay here)

OneeyedDick is working to change my name to Piney! and I like it!
(cause your an adult and Im not your mom!)

But it will always come back to Pinemom I guess....::sigh::
LOL...I always pronounced in pin e mom in my mind.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:44 pm

I never was comfortable using a playa name; not exactly sure why--but I think it has something to do with the transientness of it--and I sort of felt that I am who I am, why use a 'fake' name? So this mind set was not very conducive to even thinking up a good name, not to mention that someone told me that your playa name had to be given to you by someone else.

As it turns out, I'm usually the oldest person in any group I find myself hanging with. So anyway, on my second burn, we were out and about, drunk and high and just talking about anything and everything...and who knows why, but someone started talking about pies.

And then the conversation went to if you could be a pie what pie would you be...and people were picking apple pie, cherry pie, etc. than when it was my turn, one of the guys in the group turned to me and shouted out "elderberry" and we all just started laughing hysterically.

That's been my playa name ever since.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Tamino

Post by Tamino » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:05 pm

I haven't been to Burning Man yet but I have been a DJ and Composer and I use the name DJ Tamino. I picked Tamino from my favorite opera "The Magic Flute". Tamino is the primary character.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:51 am

jkisha wrote:I never was comfortable using a playa name; not exactly sure why--but I think it has something to do with the transientness of it--and I sort of felt that I am who I am, why use a 'fake' name? So this mind set was not very conducive to even thinking up a good name, not to mention that someone told me that your playa name had to be given to you by someone else.

JK
Eh, I don't really refer to myself by it, but others do, I think it just helps erm, distinguish you from another person with the same name. It helps people remember who you are more better. (yes, more better!)

"Which Michele? Sunshine Michelle or Poisonbery Michelle or Crazy Fucking Michele?"

Plus, for a lot of people, it just helps them get into the whole...otherness of a burn. Lawyer lady in her fur bikini and glitter wig feels better as Kiki, rather than Sarah.

Etc.

And sometimes, like with Elderberry, it's just kinda fun, in how it tells you a little bit about the person.

lordgrizz

Post by lordgrizz » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:49 am

My first year I was Bear, because at home everyone, even my Ma and the post office, calls me Bear. I think most folks assumed that was a playa name.
My second year I worked at the DMV as a hottie inspecting vehicles; walking around with a clipboard and the like. (easy Doc Pyro, It wasn't me, I promise)
Since I was in a sorta-but-not-really position of authority I would introduce my self by saying "I'm Mr. Bear, and I'll be preforming your vehicle inspection today."
Now I am Mr. Bear which I totally dig because it kinda makes me feel like a respectable sort and at the same time sorta like a stuffed animal.

It makes me smile.
Bullshit makes the flowers grow, and that's beautiful.

SonOfUgly

Post by SonOfUgly » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:56 am

my last name is McLeod, and means Son Of Ugly....most just call me Ugs as its a little shorter

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:41 pm

Sent in 1000 box tops (from Larry's Playa Frosted Flakes).
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:38 pm

SonOfUgly wrote:my last name is McLeod, and means Son Of Ugly....most just call me Ugs as its a little shorter
Thought you were hitting on me or something.

I was working at a sad retail job and one of my shop-mates kept calling me Ugly Dougly. My real name is Douglas, anything further I cannot disclose. Except of course, Douglas means deep, dark water and is the name of a river in Scotland.

So there's your Scottish connection, my son.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed May 12, 2010 4:57 pm

bump
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Thu May 13, 2010 6:20 am

I amused myself on-playa last year by just making up stupid names, when people introduced themselves with playa names.

Unfortunately, one of them stuck with a handful of people (which is pretty normal, different people know me by a different name...)

Return to “Open Discussion”