Socks and and excess of snark

All things outside of Burning Man.
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:49 pm

i;m swimming in deep waters, and all this is over my head.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:53 pm

* sprinkles some food flakes onto the water *
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:45 pm

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:51 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:* sprinkles some food flakes onto the water *
that sort of blows my whole image of you, OED:

I"d see you dropping trou and squatting over the tank, to see if you can get a nibble.......
(Caligula?)
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:56 pm

wedeliver wrote:I think x's posts are very artistic. I think of x as a verbal illustrator. x constantly has x's sketch pad out drawing what x see's. Since x draws what X is see's not what you or I see, we might not really like x drawing. But still, like other artists, there is still a high level of art in his work. I for one apprecate his posts and the effort he makes to express what ever the fuck it is that comes out.
for more than the past dozen sock posts or so, thats little more than some purile sense of art. excusing shit like that in the name of art is comparing a four year olds crayon scribbiles displayed upon a suburban housemom's fridge, to a henri rousseau at the d'orsay.

so im guessing that stretching logic about as far as you can comes from yet another sock account, right?

littleflower

Post by littleflower » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:10 pm

with all respectabillis ...

art these days often is rather purile. i'm shocked at much of what i see. but the technique is often spectacular, and there is always something to learn ...

not to mention the occasional lovely little bit of whipped cream on top of the shitpile. sometimes, it's quite a lot of whipped cream, plus a cherry. and maybe even nuts.

you just gotta ignore the ugly stuff sometimes, even if you are the one who spews it ... and i mean me, not anyone else, when i say that. i never mean to offend.... but, you know, sometimes it slips out. i was raised in a big family, and teasing was a sign of affection... sometimes i forget that my reality is not universal....

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:14 pm

I've seen some really good 4 year old's crayon scribbles.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:30 am

burningman is often the special olympics of art, where even if you dont cross the finish line you're a winner.

nothing wrong with that considering its purpose, but it doest mean any entitlement is due, and doesnt mean anything outside the immediate environment of the event - which is where, of course, the domain of this board will always lay.

so you can imagine and rant all you like, but selectively choosing what is fair and relevant is a poor grasp of reality. but thats one of the purpose's of sock accounts, i guess.

Sockster

Post by Sockster » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:39 am

Whathchu talkin' 'bout 'billis?

srsly ... you do give me ideas for the future, though ...

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:47 am

well im sure those ideas wont be very creative or unique, but dont let that stop you. heres your medal.

Absolut Jeenyus

Post by Absolut Jeenyus » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:41 am

How'd you get my picture? :shock:
-AJ )'(

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:48 am

While growing up, I used to beat other kids up who would make fun of my retarded step-sister.

over the years , I have learned that it takes one to make fun of one.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:53 am

ygmir wrote:
oneeyeddick wrote:* sprinkles some food flakes onto the water *
that sort of blows my whole image of you, OED:

I"d see you dropping trou and squatting over the tank, to see if you can get a nibble.......
(Caligula?)
Not in my bowl, thank you very much. OED knows I'm part pirana.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:46 am

Spectabillis, the medal comment and implied statements are disgusting. You can make your points without having to stoop to such levels. Oneeyeddick's comment seems to ring true...yet having met you twice I know better.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:42 am

What's in Bachelor Chow? What flavors are available? Sounds good!

littleflower

Post by littleflower » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:14 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:What's in Bachelor Chow? What flavors are available? Sounds good!
i would have expected you to prefer bachelorette chow...

ooooo, i see, I get bachelorette chow .... my bad!

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:07 pm

then i should have posted under a sock account, because that would have been an acceptable escape of guilt on this board. but instead i will use the lame excuse that my posts are expressionist art, so i am exempt from whatever anyone has to say about it...

... all because its more important to excuse snark than to ever do anything helpful about it.

SilverOrange

Post by SilverOrange » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:40 pm

Welcome to the party.

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:13 pm

spectabillis wrote:

... all because its more important to excuse snark than to ever do anything helpful about it.
Wrong answer....you just made your point muted.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:08 pm

not really, the point still stands

but i sincerely apologize for any insult or bad feelings i have caused oed. those who either have to live with a disability or care for them dont deserve those my words. i know you are not the only one, there are others here who are probably troubled by it. do you think fishy would feel very good if i made fun of people constrained by a disability to a wheelchair?

so the point still stands, absolutely stands. this is the type of environment everyone supports and these things will be constantly excused and rationalized which i explain in detail. this is all that you have to look foreward to, and will destroy what little community or group consensus there is. the very few who either tolerate it or are entertained by it, do so at the exclusion to everyone else - because the vast majority of people have correctly learned to avoid it and move elsewhere.

really, i dont know how to make it more painfully clear, but i have learned myself theres only so many times before its not the best idea to keep shouting at and running into walls. even addressing the issue will invariably attract those who are prone to it.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:19 pm

PHPBB wrote:In total there are 60 users online :: 13 Registered, 4 Hidden and 43 Guests
thats more than 3 times active users. even if you take into account lurkers or people simply obtaining info by reading - most of those users are new and will never create an account, most people intentionally avoid this place.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:25 pm

*sits in sandbox playing alone with trucks*.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:29 pm

spectabillis wrote:not really, the point still stands

but i sincerely apologize for any insult or bad feelings i have caused oed. those who either have to live with a disability or care for them dont deserve those my words. i know you are not the only one, there are others here who are probably troubled by it. do you think fishy would feel very good if i made fun of people constrained by a disability to a wheelchair?

apology accected, thanks(from all of us)

so the point still stands, absolutely stands. this is the type of environment everyone supports and these things will be constantly excused and rationalized which i explain in detail. this is all that you have to look foreward to, and will destroy what little community or group consensus there is. the very few who either tolerate it or are entertained by it, do so at the exclusion to everyone else - because the vast majority of people have correctly learned to avoid it and move elsewhere.

really, i dont know how to make it more painfully clear, but i have learned myself theres only so many times before its not the best idea to keep shouting at and running into walls. even addressing the issue will invariably attract those who are prone to it.

OK, we all see your point, but not all of us agree with it.
And fuck group mentality anyways, I don't like lighting torches.(not actually true.... just in metaphor)

When a sock gets out of hand , we all feel it....agreed.
Some have been removed from this board after becoming intolerable for all, and by all you can still only be 95% accurate with that number, because there are always dissenters when it comes to opinion.
This board has many, many rules that are discarded on a daily basis, like the naked pics, per se, and I am sure that many people are affected by these too, especially those who browse at work.
This also reflects on all of us.
Be as it is, there are people that need a leash here, but the dog is either outside or chained up here, there is no-one way to make sure they pee in designated areas.

Since this thread started, I have noticed a fair amount of reduction in intsantaneous snark happening to newbs that have genuine, stupid, and even ignorant questions.
As to whether this is because we are all busier right now and don't have time to fuck with them,or actually taking this threads purpose to heart, we shall have to wait and see.

Hats off to M for having a good idea in this thread and rolling with it.

And yeah, I am a little touchy with anyone that picks on handicapped people, all types, and esp. mentals and rollers, from direct experience.
Kinda wierd how whe don't naturally empathise this to include schizoids into this fold....it must be thier capacity for group damage that taints the fact that they ARE usually on meds, and sometimes in need of a helmet themselves.

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:48 pm

spectabillis wrote:
PHPBB wrote:In total there are 60 users online :: 13 Registered, 4 Hidden and 43 Guests
thats more than 3 times active users. even if you take into account lurkers or people simply obtaining info by reading - most of those users are new and will never create an account, most people intentionally avoid this place.

Sorry spec but that can only be a guess on your part.
I have watched those same numbers for years.
And I have a very different opinion of who those people are.

I even have a game that I play to see who is looking.

Some times they are not people at all.

http://boardreader.com/t/Open_Discussio ... yX5id.html

And who is watching you?

littleflower

Post by littleflower » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:10 pm

*sits in sandbox playing with ygmir*

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Spectabillis, your apology addresses my concerns. Thank you.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:49 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:apology accected, thanks(from all of us)
i understand
MozyBonz wrote:Sorry spec but that can only be a guess on your part. I have watched those same numbers for years.
not at all, it comes during those same years but actually asking people. dont want to belittle you but i am thorough on research and analysis. with the exception of the org's efforts collecting feedback, on a few select issues i never found another who matched the effort. but thats only on a few issues
And who is watching you?
rarely give them direct attention, only agressively take stalkers head-on who cross the line with me. worse case was unknowingly hooking up with one then found out she had been doing it - scary. it seems to happen to quite a few here, has tuned me into someone very suspicious, but im also lucky she wasnt psychotic and dont hate her or anything.

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:24 pm

I have no doubt that is your perception.

it was this statement
most of those users are new and will never create an account

you can't ask these people you don't know who they are.

it's just a guess. It may be educated but still just a guess.

I had a manager in a meeting say that this is what 80% of our customers want. I had to correct him in the meeting that the real number was that 80% of less than 1% want this.

that fact has a big impact on his statement

So"most of those users are" is just a guess.

Research and analysis doesn't always tell the whole story.
I spent 8 years at Progressive insurance they do research and analysis on everything. from the pause as your talking to the way you breath I mean everything.
Ask me about drive from Progressive sometime. Research and analysis said it was a good idea they lost big time. Sometimes we get to close to the work to see the big picture.
I also understand that results don't always reflect the real world.

as far as my opinion on this... we need less snark and less socks but that's just my opinion.

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:29 am

spectabillis wrote:
And who is watching you?
rarely give them direct attention, only aggressively take stalkers head-on who cross the line with me. worse case was unknowingly hooking up with one then found out she had been doing it - scary. it seems to happen to quite a few here, has tuned me into someone very suspicious, but I'm also lucky she wasn't psychotic and don't hate her or anything.
I think you missed my point on this one.
I wasn't talking about stalking.

you didn't click on the link did you?
this software wasn't written for stalkers

This is your Research and analysis hard at work crunching numbers and words never ending always watching.
My count is we have about 12 of them as guests

It's scarier than just a stalker its a corporate stalker.
Again this is only my opinion or guess if you will.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:13 am

no, because the link timed out earlier. but about the rest - whatever - i challenge you to match the effort starting now, while overcomming the inability to contact people who never register an account.

... waiting in great anticipation on your results ...

Return to “Open Discussion”