Socks and and excess of snark

All things outside of Burning Man.
oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:51 am

* claps with one hand *
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:50 am

spectabillis wrote:no, because the link timed out earlier. but about the rest - whatever - i challenge you to match the effort starting now, while overcomming the inability to contact people who never register an account.

... waiting in great anticipation on your results ...

Hum. That’s an interesting response. Is that how researchers respond when questioned about how accurate there data is.
I only pointed out that your statement was a guess not a fact because you could not possible ask the people you where talking about.

You’re whatever statement shows me that you have realized that it was just a guess.
But don’t… like most of us…. don’t want to admit it when you’re wrong.

Not sure why me trying to collect data and speculate on what people are thinking will help your understanding that sometimes in research its just a guess.

Spec you know I like you. I wasn’t even disagreeing with your conclusions.
I’m just trying to get you to step back and see the bigger picture. Don’t hold it so tight step back and look.
Your talking about herding cat’s here sometimes they are going to fight.

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:24 am

MozyBonz wrote:.. You’re whatever statement shows me that you have realized that it was just a guess.
But don’t… like most of us…. don’t want to admit it when you’re wrong.
no really, we all look foreward to your efforts.

i dont have a problem with admision, i have a problem with people over-rationalizing and negating things with inadequate reasons while never actually doing something about it.

i didnt spend all that time and effort to sit by and let people poke holes in those efforts until the ship sinks, you are really mistaking my intent here. what you are disagreeing with is the closest approximation to finding out how things are and making attempts at improvement that anyone has done. no one is willing to spend the effort to find out for themselves, but they are very willing to post whatever they think, most times its just debating shit.

so i require you to negate my efforts only by matching it with your own. no excuses, no more conjecture, and dont tell me i'm trying to avoid being wrong - because you just might prove that.

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:43 am

I sorry but this is a debate.

I felt that you had a need to talk about some of the problems of this board.

It is a passion of yours.

I am not discounting any of your efforts.

Its when statements are made as fact when it's only speculation.

Still not sure why me trying to collect data and speculate on what people are thinking will help your understanding.

This just pushes the point that when people feel backed into a corner even with a calm discussion they lash out with their own insecurities.

Grow some skin Spec. I will leave you alone now if you like.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:03 pm

i wasnt guessing. privately contacting people wasnt easy for me being such a strong introvert, it took considerable effort and i never felt comfortable doing it. but i did it, and its far more valid than an opinion - including yours. i'm sorry if that stings, i'm sorry if that sounds conceited, i'm sorry if you think i'm being defensive - but thats the way it is.

so please dont be afraid on my account, thats the lazy way out which everyone does. just step up and make the effort to prove me wrong if thats what you really think, because thats what this place needs most. if you disagree, then show it with action rather than arguing about it because you're not helping, and i've grown tired of that.

and thats just the first step - i'm sure you wont be looking foreward to posting your results publically and having to endlessly defend it against an idiot mob armed with keyboards.

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:11 pm

spectabillis wrote:
PHPBB wrote:In total there are 60 users online :: 13 Registered, 4 Hidden and 43 Guests
thats more than 3 times active users. even if you take into account lurkers or people simply obtaining info by reading - most of those users are new and will never create an account, most people intentionally avoid this place.

Oh spec I see you wish to continue our debate.
You seem to of side tracked my statement into something personal.
I feel no sting

So lets look at it again.

most of those users are new and will never create an account

If they never make an account.
How do you know who they are?

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:19 pm

spectabillis wrote:... i challenge you to match the effort starting now, while overcomming the inability to contact people who never register an account..
people i met at the event who i told to check it out then asked them why they never showed up, contacting people from a bm-tribe topic that was about how bad it was here, and contacting from a bm-tribe topic asking about valuable souces of info.

so the challenge stands mozy, rather than arguing about it here step up and start doing something about it.

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:45 pm

Sorry spec but I decline.
I don't have your passion for it.
and I don't have a need for anything to be fixed.

So in conclusion You based you statement from people on other boards and people you met.
Not the people in the guest box on this board who you where referring to.
So it's clearly only a guess.

I say that's game.
Anything more would be whipping the horse.

I still love you spec.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:19 pm

thats such bullshit mozy, next time please stfu and make way for people who actually do something, despite if you agree with it or not. my attempts are far more valid than your opinions and nominal attempts at invalidation, you just proved you're part of the problem.

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:37 pm

Edited because I'm going to be nice while in reality I want to rip SB's freakin head off over that last post.....
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:17 pm

it's OK K
I didn’t take it personally.

This just pushes the point that when people feel backed into a corner even with a calm discussion they lash out with their own insecurities.

This is his frustration over the use of this board. I would agree on most of his conclusions.
It’s when we all start to hold it to tight that we lose site of what we are trying to accomplish.

I need to apologize to spec. Because I led him here on propose to make a point.

Point:A simple disagreement of opinion can quickly escalate into personal attacks even by people who say they are apposed to that same behavior.

Sorry spec. It was nothing personal.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:30 pm

oh i completely understand was overly harsh, but its obvious thats whats required to improve. things have presently toned down but only because antiM created this, and i constantly comment to keep it elevated. it will return, the problem will return in full effect, which is what everyone should be focused on while seeing first hand why.

and invariably, everytime its discussed it doesnt go anywhere. no matter the idea or suggestion there will be more than enough people to shoot holes in it for many of the same reasons people put up with the open hostility and agression. even in this topic you see the exact same tendencies to pull in personal conflicts, and no one will take any action or responsiblity to do more than talk and complain.

there are a few who will and do take action, but they quickly learn almost all attempts are in vain when insult is constantly added to injury by getting criticized and negated for any effort. you have just witnessed another example those negations are little more than bullshit excuses and excessive blathering.

the only time progress was ever made, was without community input when people like me took things into thier own hands and actually did something. you need no better example of failure on this community's principals when thats done, but that failure is a far better option than when it completely fails on its own - like now.

so please, instead of being critical or blathering any more over it, do something about it, or at least shut the fuck up to those who are willing. you may not like my language, but i'm not asking you to.

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:31 pm

* claps with other hand *
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:34 pm

Lead by example.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:46 pm

yes, please do

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:51 pm

hehehehe... Don't make me chase you with a fire extinguisher again.

Loosen your grip friend your knuckles are white.

Jus Say Ventura

Post by Jus Say Ventura » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:51 pm

spectabillis wrote:
PHPBB wrote:In total there are 60 users online :: 13 Registered, 4 Hidden and 43 Guests
thats more than 3 times active users. even if you take into account lurkers or people simply obtaining info by reading - most of those users are new and will never create an account, most people intentionally avoid this place.
I'm wondering how is this information tabulated and how can it be skewered? Many people, such as me, log in by checking the "Keep me Logged In" radio button and if they don't exit by closing their browser page or tab then the cookie, I presume, doesn't relay that they have closed their session. I'm I right? then if I can do that and many more people enter, don't log in, are considered av"Guest" and never close out their page or tab, then the consence tabulation constancely thinks that they are still logged in. Is that right as well?

I'm Jus Say'N

AIIZ
"Da Mind, Da Bod! Da Governor of BRC!"
(Governor since 2001)

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:30 pm

Last checked wow 94 Guests

AIIZ

What was in question was who the 94 guests are.
In order to appear in the guest box you only need to be on the site. But you must continue to refresh in order to continue to show on the list.
We have some board readers on the board that do just that with out any person behind the PC
We also have members of the board who just sit lurk and log in when they think no one is watching.

You can only guess at who they are. No one really knows for sure.

I was taking a count yesterday And we had about 75 non hidden members log in and out at different times of the day. just because people are not posting does not mean they are not using the board.

I got all the info I needed for my first year without ever asking a question.
the info is there. and lots of people find it.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:28 pm

either provide something constructive or take it someplace else.

littleflower

Post by littleflower » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:33 pm

the numbers jumped a LOT in june, methinks. i have always watched those numbers, for whatever reason, and wondered who else was lurking, because i am one of those who lurk around and log in when i think no one is watching .... mwah ha ha ha ha ha ....

i often have fun trying to figure out the hidden ones, like dvdBurner, he always hides.

but, meanwhile, i am seriously missing the old snarky stuff, and especially that old SOTp, who has been sadly absent lately. the snark is fun for a lot of us ... dammit ...

so it isn't for everyone, and i agree that noobs should be left alone until page 2 ... but ...

littleflower

Post by littleflower » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:34 pm

spectabillis wrote:either provide something constructive or take it someplace else.
back at you ...

p.s. love your avatar!

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:30 pm

spectabillis wrote:either provide something constructive or take it someplace else.

Boy I’m not sure what your looking for spec it’s almost like you think eplaya owes you something.
Your vision becomes self-fulfilling with all that snark kid.
If you’re condemning that behavior how do you justify using it? Do as I say not as I Do?

What is it you are asking for spec?
What is the answer you seem to think you know?
Do we need thread drift police?

I will tell you why things calmed down after AntiM made the request in this thread.
It’s because she didn’t try to talk down to people or over their heads
like many do here.
She made her point as if she was talking to a friend in camp.
People respond to that try it some time
I am sorry you don’t feel like you get the same respect here but you bring it on your self.

I will say it again loosen the grip friend your knuckles are getting white.

spectabillis

via pm

Post by spectabillis » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:02 pm

littleflower wrote:back at you ...
then please address me in pm's like i do, its not difficult.

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:27 am

:twisted: Peeks in-

WOW And I thought Iiiiiiii was the trouble maker... :wink: :lol: 8)

Could someone please pass the Kool Aid???

Backs back OUt....
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:52 am

I sure hope no unregistered guests make it this far into the thread, it has become very unbecoming of how we appear to the rest of the world.

thisisthatwhichis

Post by thisisthatwhichis » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:03 am

Yea, what started as a simple friendly request, has sure turned into popcorn fest..... Pass the PBR, please.........
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:13 am

I will hand you one in a second, first I must draw the line that has been crossed.

MozyBonz

Re: via pm

Post by MozyBonz » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:59 pm

spectabillis wrote:
littleflower wrote:back at you ...
then please address me in pm's like i do, its not difficult.

For the record he never sent any PM’s and only sent one after he made this post.

littleflower

Post by littleflower » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:33 pm

i miss all the snark ...

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:11 am

Okay. I'm way out of my league in this thread. I just can't follow it. But it seems that I am not the offender--at least no more than usual. so, I'm checking out of this thread.
So long.
See you in the other Open Discussion threads See you in the funny papers.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Open Discussion”