Why you shouldn't fire an ak-47 in a studio apartment...

All things outside of Burning Man.
wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:48 pm

some of us are harder to convince then others, bottom line, Tom, you won't ever fire a weapon "on accident" again, will ya. some fish said something in another thread about the school of hard knocks. good thing no one got hurt, you included..

there is a reason why we were born with fingernails.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:08 pm

wedeliver wrote:some of us are harder to convince then others, bottom line, Tom, you won't ever fire a weapon "on accident" again, will ya. some fish said something in another thread about the school of hard knocks. good thing no one got hurt, you included..

there is a reason why we were born with fingernails.
No shit! I've dropped a trailer once..in truck school..and never doing it again! One of those mistakes you make ONLY once. Noone was hurt, but getting a facefull of muzzle flash brings things into perspective.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Dave_techie

Post by Dave_techie » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:04 pm

I follow the tenets of gun safety more closely than those of my religion.

Every gun is loaded

do not point a gun at anything you are not planning to kill or destroy

Store guns and ammo separately. etc.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:39 pm

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:50 am

**burn** wrote:The concept of consideration and politeness to others is different today, comparatively.
I would agree to an extent. I moved down here from northern Michigan too many years ago, and what struck me from the git, and still does, is how so many people down here are rude, and self-centered. It is noticeable in their personal attitude, and in the way they drive. But when ever I return up north, or find my way meandering though a small town, I am reminded that nice people still exist.

We have a camp in northern Ontario, north of a little town called Blind River. Deb, you may be familiar with the area, North Channel. When I visit there, I feel like I am stepping back into america circa 40/50's what with they way they are outgoing, down to earth, and friendly.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

Deb Prothero

Post by Deb Prothero » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:26 pm

Ah, Sail Man. I know the Blind River area well. What a nice reminder of living in the past, as you said. Small towns and northern rural areas tend to remind us of the kindness of humanity.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:24 pm

there are so many differences in small towns, especially the further north you go........certainly a nice, mellow world there.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Absolut Jeenyus

Re: No comprehende

Post by Absolut Jeenyus » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:59 pm

Rob the Wop wrote:I've been playing with firearms most of my life and lived in the desert where everyone had them- usually sitting around leaning up against walls in rooms. The military helped me clean up my skills somewhat, but not honestly as much as people think.

I've known folks that claimed cleaning accidents. I simply cannot understand it. No, I have never had an accidental misfiring happen in my home. Ever. I don't even understand how it can happen.

You didn't have the safety on? And you didn't use the action slide lock to ensure clear view of the chamber? If you don't have a lock, hold open the action and verify you are clear.
I would have to agree, I cannot understand how this happens.

Check the chambers visually and physically with your fingers inside the mechanics.
-AJ )'(

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:29 am

Absolut Jeenyus wrote:
Rob the Wop wrote:I've been playing with firearms most of my life and lived in the desert where everyone had them- usually sitting around leaning up against walls in rooms. The military helped me clean up my skills somewhat, but not honestly as much as people think.

I've known folks that claimed cleaning accidents. I simply cannot understand it. No, I have never had an accidental misfiring happen in my home. Ever. I don't even understand how it can happen.

You didn't have the safety on? And you didn't use the action slide lock to ensure clear view of the chamber? If you don't have a lock, hold open the action and verify you are clear.
I would have to agree, I cannot understand how this happens.

Check the chambers visually and physically with your fingers inside the mechanics.

Their is no slide lock on an ak. When the breech is dry, the bolt carrier does not stay open. I couldn't understand how this happens either.. until it did. Over confidence? Dunno..but it sucks when it happens to you...and never think it won't! If we treated firearms like we treat driving, we'd all be dead..so don't get cocky assuming this would never happen to you.

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:25 am

Rob the Wop wrote: If you don't have a lock, hold open the action and verify you are clear.
No Tom, it would never happen to me. I have dealt with many many firearms that don't have slide locks.
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

princesspisces

Post by princesspisces » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:59 pm

Maybe this is a bad thing, when I was 7-9 months pregnant someone tried to break into our house. I was on bed rest at the time, so when my ex had to go work out of town for a few weeks... I kept a loaded gun near my bed.
No one else was ever in the house but me, and I was raised with guns, so I know a loaded gun is a no-no. But it made me feel better? :oops:
Maybe next go around I will just keep a chainsaw by the bed. :twisted:

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:41 am

I'd say it's not a bad thing...........

the old "I'd rather have a gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"..........

so many people are afraid, and or don't understand guns......layers of safety techniques allow for even when something is missed, it's usually ok.......
as I illustrated early in the thread.

and, sometimes, you're lucky, or not........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Paraflier

Post by Paraflier » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:22 pm

princesspisces wrote:Maybe this is a bad thing, when I was 7-9 months pregnant someone tried to break into our house. I was on bed rest at the time, so when my ex had to go work out of town for a few weeks... I kept a loaded gun near my bed.
No one else was ever in the house but me, and I was raised with guns, so I know a loaded gun is a no-no. But it made me feel better? :oops:
Maybe next go around I will just keep a chainsaw by the bed. :twisted:
Not a bad thing at all. It's just you in the house. And you know there is a gun. In our house, my wife and I and out two boys are all life members of the NRA, and my wife and I are CPL holders, and we do carry. However you can be certain that there is not a weapon that isn't locked. Both of our handguns are kept locked, but loaded about 1 foot from out had in a safe by the nightstand.

If it's just you, or you and someone you know and trust, have guns everywhere. If there are small people, there is no excuse not to have your guns locked.

princesspisces

Post by princesspisces » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:52 pm

There is a small person now, so everything is in a safe.

It was nice to know it was there if I needed it at the time.

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:35 pm

Rob the Wop wrote:
Rob the Wop wrote: If you don't have a lock, hold open the action and verify you are clear.
No Tom, it would never happen to me. I have dealt with many many firearms that don't have slide locks.
Yeah. Ok...it'll never happen to you.

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:31 am

TomServo wrote:
Rob the Wop wrote:
Ok, then explain to me what exactly you seen when you held open the action, checked the chamber and loading path? An invisible bullet?

Oddly enough- I've never heard of an accidental misfire when cleaning in my military service, when I've played range master after a shoot, in my home, or the homes of any person I would trust with one of my firearms.

Its simple- someone didn't follow due diligence and you had a round in your chamber with the safety off. There is no way you can convince me that this happens to everyone, as I know better.

I doubt you will have this happen again. You might want to drag your friend to an NRA certified range master or ex-military range master if you can find one. Refresh your gun handling skills. Even if you are a pro, you can still fall into bad habits.
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:05 am

Rob the Wop wrote:
TomServo wrote:
Rob the Wop wrote: No Tom, it would never happen to me. I have dealt with many many firearms that don't have slide locks.
Ok, then explain to me what exactly you seen when you held open the action, checked the chamber and loading path? An invisible bullet?

Oddly enough- I've never heard of an accidental misfire when cleaning in my military service, when I've played range master after a shoot, in my home, or the homes of any person I would trust with one of my firearms.

Its simple- someone didn't follow due diligence and you had a round in your chamber with the safety off. There is no way you can convince me that this happens to everyone, as I know better.

I doubt you will have this happen again. You might want to drag your friend to an NRA certified range master or ex-military range master if you can find one. Refresh your gun handling skills. Even if you are a pro, you can still fall into bad habits.[/quote

Yes you can fall into bad habits...I see it every day driving a peterbilt. I stated....."their is no intelligent exucuse for my fuck up." My dad was a marine corps sniper, who taught me...and. broke his fingers firing two slugs from a double barrel....with one hand. So much for military training...you may think your the greatest driver...but I guarantee you! You are not!

Return to “Open Discussion”