How would Treasure Island Work...

All things outside of Burning Man.
III

Post by III » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:24 am

>>the rider

aww - she's cute. and i suspect she'll be quite the interesting person when she grows up. whiich is more than most people can say...
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

stuart

Post by stuart » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:53 am

You haven't seen Hidalgo yet
are you using movies as a basis for fact checking?

g

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:33 am

Jason, sometimes folks in rural areas don't bother with permits, and licenses and such. Both Nevada and Federal law enforcement review this board as part of their pre planning for BM. Sometimes it is best not put photgraphic evidence out for the world to see.

Stuart.. Hidalgo is supposed to be a fun movie. Our closest theatre is 4 hours away. It has a guy with a mustang and wild country. I hear the horse steals the show I would like to take Jeffers to see it, but I don't think they would let him in the theatre. This weekend is the big monthly Reno, Costco, Winco, go to dinner see a movie weekend.

When I was in the service, I was so sick of green jungly forests you couldn't walk through I would watch spaghetti westerns just to see brown country.. The only cultural advantage to Vietnam is that you can stop a vehicle on a road, walk 10 feet and pee without observation. In the Great Amerian West you might have to walk a half mile.

During the 70's a fellow from a coastal community, a potter, moved to the Black Rock Desert. He was a long haired potter in an area of serious rednecks. He built a studio/kiln/home in the desert. Solar powered. Calls it Planet X pottery. Interesting guy, liberal, hippie, hates Burning Man, even though with a touch of effort he could make a bundle selling his very fine pottery with its Black Rock / desert motifs to BM'ers from a kiosk in Gerlach..

BM'ers are called by some out here, sardonically; Burning Ducks. Not exactly sure the origin.. Something colorful I suppose

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:04 am

Jason, sometimes folks in rural areas don't bother with permits, and licenses and such. Both Nevada and Federal law enforcement review this board as part of their pre planning for BM. Sometimes it is best not put photgraphic evidence out for the world to see.
So, in my overly simplistic, pre-caffeinated morning state of mind I see this as a statement that you have no problem with violating state and federal law? Hmmm....

I find that most fascinating.

stuart

Post by stuart » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:12 am

my bad, I should have said 'movies you have not yet seen as a basis for fact checking.'

t

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:34 pm

Yes Tancorix you are correct, I have no problem.. Laws are for sheep.

My sister tells me that in one of the very last scenes in Hidalgo you can see Devils Slide at the south end of Pismo Beach, one of my old dirt bike hill climbs...

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:07 pm

Okay, I'm back to the too damaged to function socially hypothesis.

III

Post by III » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:12 pm

huh. you'd think he'd fit right in at burning man, then...
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:18 pm

Well that's his stand. If I can share Berkeley with oodles of annoying alums showing up for football games every other week in the fall, then you think he could cope with BM. But he has a prior claim on Black Rock Desert, which precludes any further changes.
Apparently. We could always send him back to Pismo Beach. Maybe no one should ever move from native soil.

Rob the Wop

Re: t

Post by Rob the Wop » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:42 am

Black Rock Ric wrote:Yes Tancorix you are correct, I have no problem.. Laws are for sheep.
They are? DAMMIT!

So my girlfriend can get busted for beastiality too?
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:53 am

Rob the Wop wrote: So my girlfriend can get busted for beastiality too?

Hey hey hey Theres a thread for that damn it. :wink:
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

juanicoheal

Post by juanicoheal » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:03 am

stuart wrote:
my bad, I should have said 'movies you have not yet seen as a basis for fact checking.'

'Peter Pan', 'Mary Poppins' and 'The Matrix' prove that the laws of gravity are not absolute.

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:04 am

Well then...

Any film with Ron Jeremy proves that even I can get laid.
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

Wind_Borne

Post by Wind_Borne » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:58 pm

Black Rock Ric wrote:Laws are for sheep.
One of the hallmarks of great civilizations, and an enduring and cherished American core value, has been the Rule of Law. This idea says that the relationships between people should be governed by codes of behavior, not by ruthlessness or violence. As old as the Code of Hammurabi (circa 1775 BCE), the value of the Rule of Law is restated and given new force in our own Declaration of Independence and Constitution. From movies like High Noon to Mr. Smith Goes to Washington to series like Law and Order, our culture celebrates the triumph of just laws over thuggery. The Rule of Law, justly and equally applied, defines the great cultures, as it has ours.

The alternative, the Rule of Despots, has defined the worst cultures and most tragic times in world history. If you stand against the Rule of Law, then you stand with Stalin, Hitler, and all the vicious tyrants and stongmen of history.

The Rule of Law comprises both codified laws and shared ethics. In a courtroom the codes predominate; on the Playa, the shared ethic. Either way, it is the common understanding of the rules that allows societies to function. Make no mistake, there are but two choices: Rule of Law or Rule of Despots. There is no middle ground.

So, Ric, where do you stand?
For Justice or Violence?
For Compassion or Cruelty?
For Equality or Oppression?
For Democracy or Fascism?

BTW, notice all the great heros, from Beowulf to Arthur to Shane to Frodo, stand for law and oppose despotism.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
-- George Washington

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:45 am

Black Rock Ric wrote:Yes Tancorix you are correct, I have no problem.. Laws are for sheep.
IMHO,

if the herder is a good shepard, a responsible shepard, then the shepard's responsible guidence should be alls reward.

2 words.

A Dr.?
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

g

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:30 am

I am sure great and holy spiritual advisors that none of you have ever smoked a doobie, or driven 66 in a 65 zone. Man was not made for the law, the law was made for man. When the law disregards rationality, the law is disregarded by most citizens, even you I should imagine.

Last Real Burner

Well, well, well...

Post by Last Real Burner » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:53 am

It appears, BRRic that you have found a vice as well as a home here amongst our little tribe of burners. You should be the third voice of reason in the newbie threads by offering your sage advice to people coming out to the desert (Black Rock) for the first time, and not knowing what to expect. As well as the voice for you local constiuants(sp). So how has being on this board and talking to some of the people who actually attend the event shaped your opinion of Burning Man? Will you be attending the burn this year? I thought you said you were a teacher! :shock:

"The Key to life is within each of us, it takes the wisdom and patience of maturity to unlock it."

surreally,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

Badger

Post by Badger » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:58 am

I am sure great and holy spiritual advisors that none of you have ever smoked a doobie, or driven 66 in a 65 zone. Man was not made for the law, the law was made for man. When the law disregards rationality, the law is disregarded by most citizens, even you I should imagine.
Can I just say.... snore.
Desert dogs drink deep.

g

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:08 pm

Regarding the lion, it had attacked calves, which removed it from game management protection, but did not place it into a hunting trophy classification. As a licensed guide I pay some attention to game managment. Whether there is a depression or hummocks is of little significance, except if the BM organizaton presents the impression that they practice "Leave No Trace". In actuality the trace left behind is massive, covering many square miles more than the BM site itself.. It is the hypocrisy that I find humorous. As most of these defensive or offensive postings are humorous. I have learned much about BM'ers,, but I do realize that ya'' are a statistically insignificant sampling. Message Boards in general offer a chance for individuals to rant and rave, I enjoy tweaking those individuals. Calsur may be a heck of a nice guy, but he has a tendency to offer personal insults.. But many engineers are not highly socialized people. I find it interesting that the people I know personally are engineer hard science types.. A snow physicist, a mechanical engineer, a contractor, a hydrologist, a biologist. I also know some hard science types who attended once, and would not return.. Some of the Law Enforcement people are friends, some of them from many years ago when we were Forest Service Firefighters..
Badger is pretty funny, it isn't hard to get him going. I don't think he reads between the lines..
The "Black Rock Ric is an idiot" was a bit of a hoot.. I pictured Calsur running naked across the playa while I shot at him with a souped up paintball gun.. "Now, say you are sorry!"

Last Real Burner, I could not attend, I have an idea for a theme that BM is sorely in need of... Not a shooting gallery, but that would be a good idea.. But in reality, if I could not get a good nights sleep, I would not go... I would have to leave and go home, or at least a few miles away to sleep.

Badger

Post by Badger » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:10 pm

Badger is pretty funny, it isn't hard to get him going. I don't think he reads between the lines..
Partly because I'm too fucking vain to admit that I need bifocals.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:11 pm

yeah, but you look fahb-u-lous.

Wind_Borne

Post by Wind_Borne » Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:32 am

Black Rock Ric wrote:When the law disregards rationality, the law is disregarded by most citizens, even you I should imagine.
Civil Disobedience, properly practiced to effect change in the law, requires thoughtful, moral, and honest evaluation of the effect of that law, and the consequences of breaking it, on the greater society. Actions such as the Boston Tea Party or the San Francisco gay marriages illustrate the concept.

Breaking the law for one's own convenience is nothing but arrogant and self-centered. Sure, sometimes an infraction is inconsequential; but making that choice is always based on the assumption by the law breaker that he has some special right or insight. When some guy blows through a red-light, he's making a risk-benefit judgement about his convenience versus the life of some hapless pedestrian that might step into the cross-walk.

Personally, I feel we live in an over-regulated society. Laws and regulations should be enacted only as a last resort when common civility or market forces fail. But ignoring the law doesn't fix the problem. Example: Imagine if the police started busting everyone who twisted one up in their own home... the result would be that marijauna would soon be legalized. Instead we play this stupid game of wink-wink, nudge-nudge, say-no-more; and our society gets accustomed to cheating as a way of life. And cheating just doesn't strike me as the Cowboy Way, Ric.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
-- George Washington

f

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:06 am

Tell me kind sir, are you accusing me of cheating? and if so, how? Careful, I am leading you into a box trap of which you have no knowledge.

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:59 am

Black Rock Ric = Allanon 2, as in the Chameleon changed colors again?

Badger

Post by Badger » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:35 am

Black Rock Ric = Allanon 2, as in the Chameleon changed colors again?
Doubt it. BRR writes using complete sentences.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Wind_Borne

Post by Wind_Borne » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:11 am

Tell me kind sir, are you accusing me of cheating?
No.

In response to the "Laws are for sheep" quote, I am pondering in writing the role of law and the choices we make when bending the law. The idea is to look beyond the personal effect of one's actions to the greater effect on society. This defines ethics: making choices in consideration of the society.

An example: Smoking a joint in one's own home seems like a victimless crime. Certainly, as alcohol is legal, so should be marijuana. But it's not. So the DEA searches for and destroys marijuana crops in the Mendocino hills. And the growers respond by arming themselves and booby trapping their fields. And every once in a while some innocent person gets wounded or killed in the DEA-grower cross fire. So is smoking a joint still victimless? Knowing all this, should the righteous man go ahead and twist one up, or should he go out and fix the law?

BTW, my recent posts on this thread probably vex a few burners, too. I'm not writing about what is right and wrong, or who is in the right and wrong. I'm writing about the process of making ethical choices. It's up to you to decide where you stand.
-- George Washington

d

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:05 am

Wind, do the horse belong to you? Do you have access to them? A suggestion; Sometime you might want to trailer horses to Soldier Meadow, you can camp or stay at the ranch, and trailer out and ride some desert trail, "tis a grand thing" Soldier Meadows is 60 miles and two hours past Gerlach. you drive onto the playa at the point where the paved road swings away and leave it about 10 miles later, back to the gravel road.. Check soldiermeadows.com

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:13 pm

My first year was '98. I volunteered as a Lamplighter. One afternoon I was over at their camp, helping clean lanterns, when Larry came over to chat with us. We immediately laid off cleaning the lanterns and gathered in a circle around him. It was scary, almost like storytime in kindergarten.

Anyway, you all know how Larry talks. But one of the less obtuse things he said was, "I want Treasure Island! Imagine, the Man on a barge out on the Bay! Theme boats! It's time to bring the Man home." :!: This was before TI was bought by developers, right after it was decommissioned.

We all nodded, eyes lit up with wheels spinning, but upon later reflection I thought, "No, no way. We'd have Feinstein and Barbara Boxer breathing down our necks and all Bernie Ward would need to do is look through the studio window with a pair of high-power binocs. There'd be 24-hour gridlock on the bridge with people trying to see the naked weird people. Insurance companies would never countenance it. And the environmental groups would have a screaming canniption."

:cry: Would have been fun, though...
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:37 am

Hey guys Image

Return to “Open Discussion”