Anyone feel wierd at the 2001 burn?

All things outside of Burning Man.
TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Anyone feel wierd at the 2001 burn?

Post by TomServo » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:56 pm

Walking out to the man, I noticed the moon was huge and blood red. It felt a little ominous... as the man burned, several dust devils came out from the fire...heading east. About a week after, as I was watching the news before work, I watched the second plane hit the world trade center. Anyone have the same connection?

A year later david best placed the names of the firefighters and police who perished in the attack, in the temple. As the temple burned, dust devil after dust devil came out of the fire. I know it can be explained through simple science...but what a strange burn.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

goathead

Post by goathead » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:28 am

yep, it was.

If it hadn't been for the wife, I would have walked to Lovelock that night.
:shock:

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:37 am

I remember writing in a journal, before burning man, that it felt like the end of the world. And I'm not religious at all.

Ranger Genius

Re: Anyone feel wierd at the 2001 burn?

Post by Ranger Genius » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:51 am

TomServo wrote: I know it can be explained through simple science...but what a strange burn.
What's to explain? You assigned meaning to completely normal phenomena; but that's what you're supposed to do. That's why the Man has never had an official symbology: we all assign to him the meaning we feel we need.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

TomServo

Re: Anyone feel wierd at the 2001 burn?

Post by TomServo » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:29 pm

Ranger Genius wrote:
TomServo wrote: I know it can be explained through simple science...but what a strange burn.
What's to explain? You assigned meaning to completely normal phenomena; but that's what you're supposed to do. That's why the Man has never had an official symbology: we all assign to him the meaning we feel we need.
Of course. But the meaning I assigned to it, hadn't happened yet. That's what I find strange.

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:54 pm

I had a similar feeling at last Sunday's Temple Burn. Line after line of ancesters marched/spun East toward the almost full moon.

I knew that the cold night air was mixing with the hot updraughts of the fire creating the "dust devils", but felt that souls were being released by the quiet crowd and were traveling toward the light of the moon....

Wierd.
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

thinfilmguy

Post by thinfilmguy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:22 am

It's giving me goose-bumps just thinking about it. I sat in total solitude, oblivious to the thousands around me - very hypnotic and solem. Got to watch my favorite Uncle meet his maker and find everlasting peace without any more pain. Don't smoke.
What an amazing end to a truly magical week on the playa.
I love that place and the people - so many wonderfull people.
Jungle Jim
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Return to “Open Discussion”