Politics, Everyday, All day... morning, noon and night....

All things outside of Burning Man.
Bin Noddin

Post by Bin Noddin » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:06 am

Good luck with the impeachment, K. Much as I despise the bush and his tribe, ain't gonna happen. This week congress backed off on the blatant destruction of the 4th amendment - they're not going to do anything. Strange, for so-called conservatives. Quail-gate? NOT! Just a stupid, stupid hunting accident, aftermath mishandled by the arrogant VP, but just a stupid accident. Meanwhile, back in Guantanamo . . . http://www.slate.com/id/2136422?nav=wp
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:56 am

Democrats... snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, daily!

slap my salmon, baby

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:50 pm

I know I've said this many times on this board,

" stupid people outnumber smart people."
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

joel the ornery
Burning Since: 1998
Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares

Post by joel the ornery » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:01 pm

are you participating as evidence of such claim?

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:05 pm

I'm extremely and exceptionally rare.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:33 pm

The Enemy
By William Rivers Pitt
t r u t h o u t
Friday 17 February 2006

They called it "Cyber Storm," and it was a war-game exercise run last week by the Department of Homeland Security. The war game had nothing to do with testing the security of our shipping ports, borders, infrastructure or airports. "Cyber Storm" was testing the government's ability to withstand an onslaught of information and protest from bloggers and online activists.

"Participants confirmed," wrote the Associated Press, that "parts of the worldwide simulation challenged government officials and industry executives to respond to deliberate misinformation campaigns and activist calls by Internet bloggers, online diarists whose "Web logs" include political rantings and musings about current events."

Say what? Online expressions of political opinion are so dangerous that the Department of Homeland Security must war-game scenarios to deal with them? Bloggers are potential terrorists now? Bloggers are the enemy? Last week, as far as DHS was concerned, they were.

We hear a great deal about enemies these days. Don't criticize the war, or you'll embolden the enemy. The enemy is clever and cruel. Stick with the White House and we'll defeat the enemy. Since the Bush administration no longer likes to mention the name Osama bin "Stayin' Alive" Laden in public, lest everyone remember a dramatic promise long broken, any specific definition of an enemy changes with the moment.

Sometimes, the enemy is in Iraq, and we fight them over there so we don't have to fight them over here. Sometimes, the enemy is in Iran, allegedly toiling with all its collective might to manufacture nuclear weapons. Sometimes, the enemy is in Palestine, where Hamas used George W. Bush's exported democracy to take over the government. Sometimes, the enemy is an American face on a television offering criticism of the White House. Last week, the enemy was a blogger making a political expression.

The enemy is never in Saudi Arabia, though that nation is the very birthing bed of international terrorism. The enemy is never in Israel, though that nation's far-right leadership has been a good deal of the impetus behind the Bush administration's calamitous push into Iraq. The enemy is never in China, even when they smack our planes out of the sky, because they own a substantial portion of our debt. The enemy is never in Pakistan, though that nation's fundamentalist wing allies itself with the Taliban, and though they actually do possess nuclear weapons. The enemy is occasionally mentioned as being in North Korea, but not often, because we want no part of that fight.

For a time, the enemy was in the United Arab Emirates. Two of the hijackers of the September 11 aircraft were citizens of the United Arab Emirates, and the funding behind those attacks was wired through the UAE's banking system. Republican and Democratic Senators believe the UAE has been used as a conduit for the proliferation of nuclear technology.

That was then, however. A company named Dubai Ports World intends to spend $6.8 billion to gain control of the management of shipping ports in New York and New Jersey, as well as in Baltimore, Philadelphia, New Orleans and Miami. Dubai Ports World is foreign-owned, but is backed financially by the government of the United Arab Emirates. In other words, a nation suspected of being a significant player in the September 11 attacks is being allowed to take control of our borders. For the record, US ports handle an estimated two billion tons of cargo annually, with only 5% of that cargo undergoing inspection. The deal has already been granted regulatory clearance by the White House.

We hear a great deal about enemies, both real and contrived. Let us ponder, for a moment, the existence of another enemy so insidious that it operates fully in daylight but beyond control. This enemy seeks to destroy the rule of constitutional law in the United States. This enemy seeks to destroy the seed-corn defense against tyranny in this nation, the separation of powers. This enemy gathers more and more power to itself to achieve these goals, and uses fear and division to do so. This enemy will lie with impunity, stonewall endlessly and ruin anyone who might disrupt its plans.

This enemy stood by and did nothing while a major American city was devoured by the ocean. When New Orleans was drowned, many voices were raised in panicked unison that the White House must do something, and do something now. A conference call was held between key members of the Department of Homeland Security and other administration officials on August 29th, the day the catastrophe began for real. Investigators are seeking the transcript of this call, but administration officials claim the transcript has somehow disappeared. There are many transcripts of calls before and after this one, but the five-hour call on August 29th, the specific call investigators want to see, simply cannot be found.

This enemy deliberately reached out and destroyed the career of a deep-cover CIA agent named Valerie Plame, because her husband dared to criticize the White House about its "uranium from Niger" lie regarding Iraq. Plame, among other things, worked clandestinely to track any person, group or nation that would give weapons of mass destruction to terrorists; in other words, Plame worked to track the individuals this White House never fails to label as the enemy. Her work was derailed and her network destroyed because this White House did not want any discussion of the fact that no weapons of mass destruction were found in Iraq, despite miles of claims that the stuff was there.

TruthOut correspondent Jason Leopold reported this week that Attorney General Alberto Gonzales is refusing to turn over incriminating emails to special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald, emails that allegedly indicate the involvement of Vice President Dick Cheney and other high-ranking administration officials in the unmasking of Agent Plame. "The emails Gonzales is said to be withholding contained references to Valerie Plame Wilson's identity and CIA status and developments related to the inability to find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq," reported Leopold. "Moreover, according to sources, the emails contained suggestions by the officials on how the White House should respond to what it believed were increasingly destructive comments [Plame's husband] Joseph Wilson had been making about the administration's pre-war Iraq intelligence."

I. Lewis Libby, chief of staff to Vice President Cheney, was recently indicted by Fitzgerald for lying under oath during the investigation into this matter. Recently, Libby stated that he was authorized by his superiors to expose the classified name of Valerie Plame. Given his position, Libby's main superior is none other than Cheney himself. Cheney recently claimed that he is authorized by an Executive Order to declassify any information he pleases. "I have certainly advocated declassification. I have participated in declassification decisions," said Cheney this week. "There's an executive order that specifies who has classification authority, and obviously it focuses first and foremost on the president, but also includes the vice president."

This is a new trend for the White House: rendering an illegal act legal retroactively by fiat. The trend manifested itself in another area of illegal activity by the White House, the warrantless wiretapping of thousands of American citizens by the National Security Agency, in defiance of the black-letter law contained within the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978. For several weeks now, Congress has been threatening to hold hearings on the matter. Bush advisor Karl Rove worked feverishly behind the scenes to keep such hearings from taking place, and has succeeded. Rather than investigate the matter, Congress will instead rewrite the FISA law, thus rendering retroactively legal White House activities that blatantly broke the law.

We hear a great deal about enemies these days, and many of them are quite real and quite perilous. It is difficult to imagine a more perilous enemy, however, than the one operating out of Washington today. This enemy would set itself on high, beyond control or censure, and create of itself that permanent faction James Madison so earnestly warned us of. This enemy deletes or hides evidence of its calumny, or simply alters existing laws that would otherwise derail its plans. This enemy destroys lives out of hand, lives by the tens of thousands, and reaps a pretty profit in the process.

The difference between the enemies we hear about and the one in Washington is simple and deadly: only the enemy in Washington can annihilate the constitutional government we have enjoyed for more than two centuries. The idea that is America cannot be terminated by terrorists or rogue states. Were the nation entire to be somehow obliterated, the idea that is America would endure. Only its keepers can kill it completely. They are well on their way.

"As nightfall does not come at once," wrote Justice William O. Douglas, "neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become victims of the darkness."

We must deal with the enemy within the halls of our government, the enemy whose power to destroy far outstrips any enemy beyond our borders. In doing so, we save that which is unique in the world. In doing so, we deal a death blow to all other enemies. In doing so, we save ourselves from that darkness.

William Rivers Pitt is a New York Times and internationally bestselling author of two books: War on Iraq: What Team Bush Doesn't Want You to Know and The Greatest Sedition Is Silence.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:00 pm

A standing Ovation for the bird he missed!

To hit a person in the face with 200 pellets at 30 yards one would have to fire on the bird, on the rise, at or less then 7 feet high otherwise the trajectory would have gone way over the person's head and spread of the pellets would not have allow 200 pellets in the tight configuration that Mr Whittington received. I doubt that Cheney has the ability or quick agility
to shoot that fast and keep the bird in his sight. I've hunted pheasant
and shot one on the rise at five feet off the ground within 20 feet and there was nothing left except feathers floating in the air. I was using a 12 gauge shotgun. A Quail is much faster on the rise and go pretty much straight up for about several feet depending on the type of BUSH or brush and wind velocity.

The effective kill is less then 35 feet for a modified barrel with a spread of 46". if you look at the report file (link below) I say that Whittington was much closer and to the left of cheney walking along with him otherwise Whittington would have gotten it directly in the face as Cheney states. based on the report which contradicts itself, otherwise the shot would have missed him based on what I stated above. They wouldn't have penetrated the chest area as well.

I believe that Whittington was standing very close because he took it in on the right side of the face and chest. Ms Armstrong either had the eyes of a hawk or she was completely lying.

Yes, I say Damage Control was a priority here because Cheney was drunk like he was when he was DUI'd six times before. It might be true that he wasn't aiming at a bird.
Kinetic IV wrote:Because any DA / prosecutor that had the balls right then to do it would have most likely found some serious cash flowing to his competitors during the next election cycle. So think about it. You're that Texas sheriff...you love your job. Are you going to push that the sitting Veep be charged? Uh, I don't think so.
The charges would be filed by the Game Warden- of course a democrat.

Here's the Report filed by the Game Warden:
http://www.kvue.com/sharedcontent/dws/i ... report.pdf

AZ

PS- "A company named Dubai Ports World intends to spend $6.8 billion to gain control of the management of shipping ports in New York and New Jersey"

Well the government didn't like the way the mob ran the ports and the bomb were exported from them. Now they have to really worry because the bombs will be imported and they won't be filled with just bird shot!

Cabanasprings

Post by Cabanasprings » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:01 pm

DVD Burner wrote:I know I've said this many times on this board,

" stupid people outnumber smart people."
Cites?

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:03 pm

:lol:

joel the ornery

Post by joel the ornery » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:41 am

so... AZ is a weapons expert and DVD is still the Court Jester.

i feel so much more informed now.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:46 am

You are so right Joel.

if there is one thing you have incredible experience with is believing and putting total trust in, it's unreliable, incredibly stupid, war mongering, violently greedy clowns.

:P

Morning

joel the ornery

Post by joel the ornery » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:07 am

DVD Burner wrote:You are so right Joel.
if there is one thing you have incredible experience with is believing and putting total trust in, it's unreliable, incredibly stupid, war mongering, violently greedy clowns.

Morning
good morning? well, at least it is morning.

that is quite a string of adjectives, got your dictionary next to the computer?

it isn't trust in them (unreliable, incredibly stupid, war mongering, violently greedy clowns) and much as distrust for the kind of conspiracy theories being thrown out here and elsewhere.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:11 am

I hope you dont think that my post on PNAC was unreliable?

It's not a phony site.

And yeah, I sorta did a spell check before I posted that.

Beside, it was the only adjectives that worked well in rythim with clown.

joel the ornery

Post by joel the ornery » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:16 am

ITYM "rhythm"

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:22 am

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:11 pm

So I pass this PNAC document around, as I have done for years since it's conception, and I still keep getting people that think it's a hoax.

I was wondering, does Joel think the document is a hoax?

I never got an answer back from you Joel about what you though about the "statement of principals" PNAC document.

Just curious. Your opinion matters.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:18 pm

Bin Noddin wrote:Good luck with the impeachment, K. Much as I despise the bush and his tribe, ain't gonna happen. This week congress backed off on the blatant destruction of the 4th amendment - they're not going to do anything. Strange, for so-called conservatives. Quail-gate? NOT! Just a stupid, stupid hunting accident, aftermath mishandled by the arrogant VP, but just a stupid accident.
Its not just a stupid accident! It represents what this whole admin is about. That the laws of this country doesn't apply to them because they are above them and ordinary citizens of america and the world that they impose their arrogance upon.

Hey, I need no fucking license, no terrorist court, no WMD, no rights. I am the representative of my Christian God or I'm am that God for I'm in power!!!

American is Dead!!!! And the Facists Pigs are once again in power.

I hope you all sleep well tonight. Goodnight.

AIIZ

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:19 pm

Hilary is going to kick their fucking Butts.

I know that because every Republican I know personally if fed up with Nazi's in power!!!

AIIZ

Bin Noddin

Post by Bin Noddin » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:25 pm

Here, Apollonaris Z - something to make you chuckle.

http://filmstripinternational.com/
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:32 am

Ass Whores Too!

All ass should be freed from facist pricks!

Good One Bin, thanks. That laugh ass got me feeling better!

AZZ

Bin Noddin

Post by Bin Noddin » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:17 am

Glad you liked it, AZ. Now back to our regular programming of bickering, gloom, despair, hope, provocation, thoughtful discourse, partisanship, humor, insult, etc, etc, etc,

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:19 am

isn't democracy wonderful?

I'm gone for a weekend and figured that at least someone would have said something about the PNAC.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:25 am

Bin Noddin wrote:Glad you liked it, AZ. Now back to our regular programming of bickering, gloom, despair, hope, provocation, thoughtful discourse, partisanship, humor, insult, etc, etc, etc,
Are you part of Kamp Apokiliptika?
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:15 pm

Why I Published Those Cartoons

Today, 12:09 PM
By Flemming Rose

Childish. Irresponsible. Hate speech. A provocation just for the sake of provocation. A PR stunt. Critics of 12 cartoons of the prophet Muhammad I decided to publish in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten have not minced their words. They say that freedom of expression does not imply an endorsement of insulting people's religious feelings, and besides, they add, the media censor themselves every day. So, please do not teach us a lesson about limitless freedom of speech.

I agree that the freedom to publish things doesn't mean you publish everything. Jyllands-Posten would not publish pornographic images or graphic details of dead bodies; swear words rarely make it into our pages. So we are not fundamentalists in our support for freedom of expression.

But the cartoon story is different.

Those examples have to do with exercising restraint because of ethical standards and taste; call it editing. By contrast, I commissioned the cartoons in response to several incidents of self-censorship in Europe caused by widening fears and feelings of intimidation in dealing with issues related to Islam. And I still believe that this is a topic that we Europeans must confront, challenging moderate Muslims to speak out. The idea wasn't to provoke gratuitously -- and we certainly didn't intend to trigger violent demonstrations throughout the Muslim world. Our goal was simply to push back self-imposed limits on expression that seemed to be closing in tighter.

At the end of September, a Danish standup comedian said in an interview with Jyllands-Posten that he had no problem urinating on the Bible in front of a camera, but he dared not do the same thing with the Koran.

This was the culmination of a series of disturbing instances of self-censorship. Last September, a Danish children's writer had trouble finding an illustrator for a book about the life of Muhammad. Three people turned down the job for fear of consequences. The person who finally accepted insisted on anonymity, which in my book is a form of self-censorship. European translators of a critical book about Islam also did not want their names to appear on the book cover beside the name of the author, a Somalia-born Dutch politician who has herself been in hiding.

Around the same time, the Tate gallery in London withdrew an installation by the avant-garde artist John Latham depicting the Koran, Bible and Talmud torn to pieces. The museum explained that it did not want to stir things up after the London bombings. (A few months earlier, to avoid offending Muslims, a museum in Goteborg, Sweden, had removed a painting with a sexual motif and a quotation from the Koran.)

Finally, at the end of September, Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen met with a group of imams, one of whom called on the prime minister to interfere with the press in order to get more positive coverage of Islam.

So, over two weeks we witnessed a half-dozen cases of self-censorship, pitting freedom of speech against the fear of confronting issues about Islam. This was a legitimate news story to cover, and Jyllands-Posten decided to do it by adopting the well-known journalistic principle: Show, don't tell. I wrote to members of the association of Danish cartoonists asking them "to draw Muhammad as you see him." We certainly did not ask them to make fun of the prophet. Twelve out of 25 active members responded.

The rest of it : http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 99_pf.html

Bin Noddin

Post by Bin Noddin » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:32 pm

Thanks, DVD - I posted just the link on another thread, but its better to have the words in front of us. Wish more people would read and think about Mr. Rose's article - and I'm sorry that not enough will. This situation has been hijacked by people with their own agendas, and masses of willing, ignorant followers.

K-IV: I'm not a member of APO or any other camp. Just been enjoying the Herring Wars, throwing in a zinger when the urge gets overwhelming.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:06 am

Bush Would Veto Any Bill Halting Dubai Port Deal

Published: February 22, 2006

"...The administration's review of the deal was conducted by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, a body that was created in 1975 to review foreign investments in the country that could affect national security. Under that review, officials from the Defense, State, Commerce and Transportation Departments, along with the National Security Council and other agencies, were charged with raising questions and passing judgment. They found no problems to warrant the next stage of review, a 45-day investigation with results reported to the president for a final decision.

However, a 1993 amendment to the law stipulates that such an investigation is mandatory when the acquiring company is controlled by or acting on behalf of a foreign government. Administration officials said they conducted additional inquires because of the ties to the United Arab Emirates, but they could not say why a 45-day investigation did not occur..."

A 45 day investigation did NOT occur.
Why?

Another example of how this administration follows the laws of this country! They have alway felt that they are above the laws of this country.

Now let's talk about secret courts and terrorist investigations. I suppose we will spend a lot of time monitoring the phones of the Dubai Shipping company will we? NOT!

Less then 5% of all imports are checked!

American companies should be the only ones to control an American port!
but don't worry the MOB will still control them, but don't tell anyone I told you or else I'll have to kill you.

AIIZ

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:25 am

Interesting that Dubai is exempt and not accountable to the rest of the "Emirates" federal judicial system and is not held to the same international standards compared to the rest of the region...Hmmmm, kinda like the Bush administration...a ruling class...
For "Dubaious" reasons?...hmmmm.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:21 pm

BUSH PRESIDENTIAL LIBRARY DESTROYED BY FIRE

-- Crawford, Texas --

A tragic fire this morning destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. The fire began in the presidential bathroom where both of the books were kept. Both of his books have been lost. A presidential spokesman said the president was devastated, as he had almost finished coloring the second one.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:45 pm

Lawsuit Over Eminent Domain Could Snarl Bush Library Plans

By MEGHAN CLYNE - Staff Reporter of the Sun
February 17, 2006

DALLAS - The school favored to host the George W. Bush Presidential Library, Dallas's Southern Methodist University, may encounter a snag next week in the form of a lawsuit alleging that the school has improperly seized local homes in order to secure land for the proposed library site.
Amid increasing outrage among Republicans over the use of eminent domain and other coercive measures to obtain private property for public projects, a case in Dallas County's 134th Civil District Court, which is set to begin on Tuesday, will determine whether the university violated its legal obligations to local homeowners in an effort to secure the land currently occupied by the University Gardens condominium complex, a potential library site.
"They're taking my home," said Gary Vodicka, one of the litigants and a University Gardens owner and resident, yesterday.
The case comes as the competition for the $200 million to $300 million library, which has had some schools making plans to attract the memorial since before President Bush's election in 2000, draws to a close, and could end any time in the next six weeks.
A party to the library competition told The New York Sun this week that a member of the library selection committee said a decision was expected sometime within the first quarter this year, or before March 31 - a date moved up from previous projections that the library site would be announced in the second quarter.
A spokesman for the head of the selection committee, former Bush commerce secretary Donald Evans, said the selector was declining to comment on all aspects of the competition as the committee reviewed the proposals, including the selection date.
Mr. Evans is co-chairman of the selection committee, along with Mr. Bush's brother, Marvin Bush, and the third member is a Bush cousin, Craig Stapleton. Three of Mr. Bush's top advisers - White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card, deputy chief of staff Karl Rove, and White House Counsel, Harriet Miers - are also helping the selection committee.
The competition for the library is intense among the four schools that were announced as finalists in October last year. Mr. Bush limited proposals to institutions in Texas, where the Bushes plan to return after they depart the White House in 2009. In addition to the prestige offered by a library, many cities are keenly aware of $1 billion in revenue the Clinton library has already brought to the Little Rock, Ark., area since it opened in November 2004.
Mr. Bush's options now include SMU, located in the upscale University Park area of Dallas; Baylor University, a Baptist school in Waco; the University of Dallas, a small Catholic college in Irving, a suburb of Dallas; and Texas Tech University, a public school located in Lubbock, as part of a West Texas Coalition that involves more than 10 educational institutions across the western part of the state who have promised to spend $500 million on the scheme.
SMU has long been considered the favorite to receive the library, principally because of its ties to the Bushes and their advisers. Laura Bush received her undergraduate degree in elementary education from the school in 1968 and since 2000 has been a member of its board of trustees. Vice President Cheney was in 1996 the "diplomat in residence" at SMU's John Taylor Center for political studies, and also served as a trustee. Bush adviser Karen Hughes, and White House counsel Harriet Miers - who is also advising the library selection committee - possess SMU degrees.
It also anticipated that, after their White House years, the Bushes will relocate to Dallas, where they lived from 1988 to 1994. The president and first lady remain members of the area's Highland Park United Methodist Church. The area is also home to some of Mr. Bush's most generous political donors, many of whom are also expected to contribute to his future presidential library foundation.
Mr. Vodicka said yesterday that SMU's being awarded the library is "a done deal," but that he hopes his lawsuit will succeed in preventing the school from destroying his home in order to build it. SMU is located in one of the most expensive and exclusive areas of Texas, and, while it will not disclose the acreage it has to offer a future library, is said to have little land to offer in comparison to its competitors, all of which are proposing at least 100-acre sites for the library.
Mr. Vodicka's lawsuit, filed in the fall, seeks to prevent the university, which officially bought the property in mid-December but issued vacate notices last spring, from destroying the condominiums by declaring the university's actions in obtaining the property to be illegal.
According to Mr. Vodicka, who is also a Dallas-based litigation attorney, SMU has progressively stacked the board of University Gardens with university employees since around four years ago, and the board has since failed to perform maintenance on the complex. At the same time, the school has been purchasing units in University Gardens, and according to an SMU "fact sheet" about the land deal, the school owned 93% of the complex's 347 units when "SMU moved that the property be declared obsolete and put up for sale."
Mr. Vodicka said the board's failure to maintain the complex was part of a comprehensive tactic used by SMU to drive owners out of University Gardens. The school has used the building for student housing and, Mr. Vodicka said, told tenants their property values would go down owing to the increased noise, greater traffic, and greater exposure to crime and vandalism that would likely result from student use - even as Mr. Vodicka says condos have been purchased by SMU for progressively higher per-square-foot prices.

the rest can be read here:

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:51 am

DVD Burner wrote:BUSH PRESIDENTIAL LIBRARY DESTROYED BY FIRE

-- Crawford, Texas --

A tragic fire this morning destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. The fire began in the presidential bathroom where both of the books were kept. Both of his books have been lost. A presidential spokesman said the president was devastated, as he had almost finished coloring the second one.
I making some signs to put on the porta-potties this year- it will read

George W. Bush
Presidental Library
(please return all reading material if you can find any!)

Big Problem, Dubai Deal or Not

By DAVID E. SANGER
Published: February 23, 2006

"...The administration's core problem at the ports, most experts agree, is how long it has taken for the federal government to set and enforce new security standards — and to provide the technology to look inside millions of containers that flow through them.

Only 4 percent or 5 percent of those containers are inspected. There is virtually no standard for how containers are sealed, or for certifying the identities of thousands of drivers who enter and leave the ports to pick them up. If a nuclear weapon is put inside a container — the real fear here — "it will probably happen when some truck driver is paid off to take a long lunch, before he even gets near a terminal," said Mr. Flynn, the ports security expert..."

This is not a racial reaction, but one against a country of which most of the 9/11 terrorist came from!!!

AIIZ

Return to “Open Discussion”