Politics, Everyday, All day... morning, noon and night....

All things outside of Burning Man.
DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:32 am

I remember you now. I posted in that thread also.

Co-worker was a friend of Ryan Jackson I belive.

Yepper you are an old timmer.

I take back that welcome I extended.

:lol:
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

Rockdad

Post by Rockdad » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:45 am

Another Bush 9/11 Lie Exposed
by James Bovard

The transcript the feds released this week of the final minutes of Flight 93 proves that President Bush brazenly and consistently lied to the American people about how that flight ended. The transcript shows that the Arab hijackers chose to crash the plane into the ground after the American passengers stormed the cockpit. There is no guarantee that the transcript is accurate, and the government has already been caught fabricating evidence at terrorist trials in the post 9/11 era. But the government’s own version of events damns Bush. The transcript was available in early 2002, if not earlier, and was shown at that time by federal officials to some of the survivors of the people killed when Flight 93 went down.

Bush turned the 9/11 attacks into a moral allegory. He continually invoked the story of Flight 93 to persuade Americans of the need to reform their lives. In a speech at a Lacrosse, Wisconsin high school on May 8, 2002, Bush announced:

"I think the most telling event on September 11th, and one that I hope a lot of people remember, is what happened on Flight 93. Basically, what I’m saying is, it’s important to serve something greater than yourself in life. It’s important to serve a call greater than yourself and a cause greater than yourself. Flight 93, we had average citizens flying across the country, and they realized their plane was fixing to be used as a weapon on the Nation’s Capital. They called their loved ones on the phone. They said a prayer and told them they loved them, said a prayer, and they drove the plane in the ground to serve something greater than themselves. That’s the American spirit I know. That’s that sense of sacrifice that makes this country so strong."

Everyone not comatose during all of 2002 likely heard Bush’s Flight 93 spiel:

On March 18, 2002, Bush, speaking to factory workers in O’Fallon, Missouri, declared that Flight 93 would help launch a new "period of personal responsibility."

In Knoxville on April 8, 2002, Bush declared, "Flight 93 told me a lot about America. . . . It is that spirit that is alive and well in America, and it’s that spirit that makes me so optimistic about the future of this great country."

At an April 29, 2002, California political fundraiser, Bush invoked Flight 93 as proof of the "new culture" of "serving something greater than yourself in life" and claimed that "Out of the evil done to America is going to come incredible good" because "we are such a good nation."

The next day at another fundraiser, Bush declared that "Flight 93 really, in many ways, epitomized the best of America."

At yet another Republican fundraiser, this one in Florida on June 21, 2002, Bush declared that Flight 93 was "the most compelling story, of course, in my judgment, after 9/11 or during 9/11."

And on September 17, 2002, at a school in Nashville, Bush expanded his parable to include the love of freedom: "It’s a lesson of people loving freedom so much and loving their country so much, that they’re willing to drive a plane into the ground to save other people’s lives."

Yet, at the least, there was never any evidence that Flight 93 passengers chose to commit suicide (as opposed to fighting to capture control of the plane from the hijackers).

Bush’s obsessive focus on Flight 93 shifted public attention to heroic citizens and away from incompetent bureaucrats. But Bush had no excuse not to know that his Flight 93 allegory was a sham. FBI director Robert Mueller told a closed congressional hearing in 2002 that Flight 93 crashed a few minutes after one of the hijackers "advised [Ziad] Jarrah [the hijacker piloting the plane] to crash the plane and end the passengers’ attempt to retake the airplane." An August 2003 Associated Press report noted that the FBI’s interpretation, "based on the government’s analysis of cockpit recordings, discounts the popular perception of passengers grappling with terrorists to seize the plane’s controls." No one did more to popularize the bogus version of events than Bush.

The FBI director’s conclusion was not made public until the report of the joint congressional intelligence committees was released in late July 2003.

How many Americans, hornswoggled by Bush’s lies about Flight 93, volunteered to join the military and ended up dying for Bush’s lies on Iraq?

Post 9/11 America shows what happens when a nation worships its leader and permits him to tell one lie after another, distorting facts and manipulating the public’s emotions. If Bush had not been treated so respectfully after 9/11, he could not have easily lead the nation to war against Iraq. If Bush had not been permitted to exploit government failure, the government would not have become much more powerful.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/bovard/bovard27.html
James Bovard is the author of the just-released Attention Deficit Democracy, The Bush Betrayal, and Terrorism & Tyranny: Trampling Freedom, Justice, and Peace to Rid the World of Evil. He serves as a policy advisor for The Future of Freedom Foundation.
Eplaya Bar Camp 2006 "What will it be"

[url=http://eplayabar.blogspot.com/]The Eplaya Bar Camp Blog[/url]

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:25 am

Withholding feeds tax apathy

By Laura Vanderkam
Thu Apr 13, 7:31 AM ET

If every American had to write that check to the government every quarter (like I do), the balance of power would shift back to the people.

"A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money," goes the quip about government spending attributed to the late senator Everett Dirksen. Substitute "trillion" for "billion," and you've got the 2006 version.

In March, lawmakers raised the nation's credit limit to nearly $9 trillion after blowing through an $8.2 trillion ceiling. Soon, the national debt will cross the $10 trillion mark. Yet, just as Dirksen's joke suggests, the loudest fretting I've heard lately on the subject has been about whether real estate developer Douglas Durst will drop the dollar sign to create more space on his 13-digit national debt clock in Times Square when the inevitable transpires.

Yes, two sentiments about government spending prevail as we approach Tax Day, traditionally April 15: First, that it's out of control, and second, no one cares. They're related, the latter causing the former. The reason no one cares comes down to one word: withholding.

If you're like most Americans, the government extracts taxes from your wages before you ever see the cash. You might have been upset about that when you got your first paycheck, but you soon learned to skim to the take-home section. Out of sight, out of mind.

That collective shrug is precisely the reason Congress implemented mandatory withholding in 1943. It feels relatively painless for the 131 million Americans who pay this way - especially when a refund check arrives. Consequently, few withholdees truly care what happens with their money.

But others do. Nearly 12 million of us, the IRS reports, pay estimated taxes by writing checks to the government, usually every quarter. Often self-employed types, we deposit checks into our accounts, dream of the vacations those funds could finance, and then mail those funds to the U.S. Treasury instead. It's a painful process.

Spreading the pain

But one way to slow out-of-control spending in Washington is to make everyone feel the same pain that quarterly payers experience. Ending withholding would do that - and it's not as crazy as it sounds.

Most Americans have paid taxes through withholding for so long, we think it's as inevitable as taxes themselves. But the income tax wasn't even constitutional until 1913. For its first three decades, citizens usually paid in lump sums. They grumbled, which kept rates low and made new programs hard to justify. For both those reasons, Congress insisted that Social Security taxes be withheld from paychecks when that program began in 1935.

Officials suspected that withholding "makes it harder for people to see the amount of money that's actually been taken from them," notes Charlotte Twight, Boise State University economist and author of Dependent on DC. Citizens would not see a connection between their payments and the things governments chose to finance.

When it began

Upon the outbreak of World War II, the Treasury needed more blank checks, so in 1943, Congress decreed that income taxes be withheld alongside Social Security ones. Against the backdrop of war and heavy propaganda, Americans acquiesced.

The scheme worked as planned. Americans didn't revolt when rates rose. Taxpayers even started to think of withholding as convenient, though people often overpay; last year, about $100 in potential investment returns was lost on the average refund of $2,423. Most people can't imagine another system.

But the nearly 12 million Americans who pay estimated taxes can. Technology makes starting businesses easier and cheaper than ever these days; as the ranks of the self-employed grow, more Americans are discovering the pain that writing tax checks inflicts.

Don't be fooled by the moaning. As a freelancer, I think it's a good pain, one that keeps you conscious.

So does Rep. John Hostettler (news, bio, voting record), R-Ind., who introduced a bill last year that would repeal federal withholding and require everyone to send in their own income and Social Security taxes. Hostettler tells me he supports a national sales tax and sees this as a step in that direction.

Because tax reform in general has stalled in Congress, Hostettler's bill is still in committee, which is too bad because even in the absence of total tax reform, abolishing withholding would shake up politics in a good way.

"Even if people didn't demand lower tax rates, they'd be more willing to demand an accounting, an explanation, a correction of all the pork barrel projects," says Twight, the economist and author.

What's not to love? Withholding fans offer three objections:

Paying taxes quarterly would require saving. Americans don't save.

There's a difference between saving and paying bills. Americans pay rent monthly or car insurance semi-annually even if they're paid every other week. When you have to do something, you do it.

Compliance rates would drop.

They would, some. The IRS knows the "tax gap" between expected and actual payments is lowest with withholding and bigger with other methods. But it's not easy for freelancers to cheat now. Companies report most independent contractor payments to the government. Companies with employees could likewise report wages to the IRS. A few cheaters will exist under any system. But only 7% of Americans, an IRS survey found, believe it's OK to cheat "a little here and there" on their taxes. Most say it's not acceptable at all.

Collection costs would soar.

If states with income taxes followed Washington's lead, costs wouldn't soar; they'd shift from businesses to the governments that imposed them. As it is, the IRS already collects estimated taxes. Collecting from everyone would mean expanding a program, not creating a new one.

What ending withholding would create, though, is involved voters who care about government spending for reasons beyond the digits on the national debt clock.

"When folks realize that this is their money, then they'll change the way they look at politics," says Hostettler - hopefully before Douglas Durst needs a new sign.

Laura Vanderkam, who lives in New York, is a member of USA TODAY's board of contributors

can't sit still

Post by can't sit still » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:11 am

DVD, it's a great idea and all that, Just imagine what would happen if we demanded accountability from GOV. We send the check when every bit of pork in the budget is clearly explained.
Congress seems pretty well under the control of special interest lobbyists.
Suppose all spending was put to a popular vote and congress was left to make laws. That would certainly cut down on the waste.
Gov does withholding to get much of the money. The rest that they want, they get by inflating the curency and stealing the value of your money.
The dollar is dropping fast. That takes more than salary. It takes a portion of all wealth.
I think fiscal restraint and accountability would bring more control of gov than just limiting ingress of funds.
Unfortunately, Gov seems completely immune from management.
Dan
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

joel the ornery
Burning Since: 1998
Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares

Post by joel the ornery » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:37 am

lurker

Post by lurker » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:32 pm

Rockdad, you're reading the word 'drove' wrong, I think.

I don't recall anyone saying that the passengers wrested control from the terrorists, and then drove the plane into the ground.

Why would they do that?

Why, if they'd regained control of the plane, would they commit suicide?

The point made is that they stopped the terrorists from using the plane as a fourth missle.

And they sacrificed their lives to do it.

I'd say something like 'don't cheapen their sacrifice', but you've already insinuated that the whole thing was staged...so why bother, right?

What does it matter what the transcript says? It's all faked anyway--hey, maybe the passengers of flight 93 DID fight and DID drive the plane into the ground--to foill Bush's minions who were trying to make the whole faked terrorist attack look more real.

That's probably what it was--he's real clever, that Chimpy McBush.

And, y'know what? Maybe Bush's harping on flight 93 was what galvanized the passengers to bring down Richard Reid, as he was trying to blow up his shoes....or was that faked too?
"Life is like a box of razor blades. Sharp, shiny, and good for removing unwanted body hair"

Rockdad

Post by Rockdad » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:59 pm

lurker wrote:Rockdad, you're reading the word 'drove' wrong, I think.

I don't recall anyone saying that the passengers wrested control from the terrorists, and then drove the plane into the ground.
And on September 17, 2002, at a school in Nashville, Bush expanded his parable to include the love of freedom: "It’s a lesson of people loving freedom so much and loving their country so much, that they’re willing to drive a plane into the ground to save other people’s lives."

Yet, at the least, there was never any evidence that Flight 93 passengers chose to commit suicide (as opposed to fighting to capture control of the plane from the hijackers).

Might want to reread it. Also I was not the Author as noted at top of article
Eplaya Bar Camp 2006 "What will it be"

[url=http://eplayabar.blogspot.com/]The Eplaya Bar Camp Blog[/url]

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:33 pm

joel the ornery wrote:Former Illinois Governor George Ryan found guilty.

a little justice for you, DVD.

this was one republican I really admired because of his stand on Illinois' death penalty and the commutation of all those sentences when he was governor. Too bad about this turn of events for Ryan. I think he's a really decent guy. I hope sentecing goes easy on him.
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:07 am

joel the ornery wrote:Former Illinois Governor George Ryan found guilty.

a little justice for you, DVD.

oh man! I actually kinda liked this guy.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:32 am

Rah, rah, rah. Ryan's handling of the death penalty cases deserves high praise, I'll agree. But corruption is corruption and he was found guilty in a jury trial, end of story. May the sentencing be swift and harsh.

As for Illinois governors I happen to think the world of Jim Edgar and I wish his medical condition hadn't kept him from climbing higher up the ladder, Republican or not. Of course the Senate seat he would have run for was taken by Barack Obama so in either case a good man would have held the position.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:52 am

Mark Brown Chicago Sun-Times wrote:
Willis lawyer: 'It was always about the children'
April 18, 2006

I can't say whether George Ryan will ever feel any personal responsibility for the day the six Willis children died in that horrific 1994 traffic accident, but I'm sure the former governor and secretary of state will always rue the day that the children's parents, Scott and Janet Willis, hired trial lawyer Joseph A. Power Jr. to bring their lawsuit.

In the same way that jurors in the Ryan trial couldn't pick out one witness or piece of evidence Monday that swung their deliberations toward a guilty verdict against the former governor, it would be foolish to try to pick out one person most responsible for bringing about Ryan's downfall.

There are the obvious candidates, such as Patrick Collins, the assistant U.S. attorney who doggedly led the Ryan investigation, and his boss, Patrick Fitzgerald, who backed his play unflinchingly.

Then there are the more obscure choices, such as Tony Berlin, Tammy Sue Raynor and Russell Sonneveld, the secretary of state employees who originally blew the whistle on the licenses-for-bribes scandal.
But I'll bet that Ryan believes, as I do, that if it weren't for Power's determined pursuit of the Willis case, which included finding the whistleblowers and bringing them to the attention of both the public and prosecutors, it's highly unlikely Ryan would have been sitting in federal court Monday to hear Judge Rebecca Pallmeyer announce the jury had found him guilty on all counts.

'It was about accountability'

Despite his key role, Power wasn't in court himself for that dramatic moment. He was on an airplane on his way back from a family weekend getaway. But he returned my call from the baggage claim area at the airport when he arrived Monday evening.

"To my mind, it was always about the children," Power said. "My role was to deal with the six children and get to the bottom of it and find out why they died. It was about accountability."

I have to admit that I've always resisted looking at the Ryan investigation through the prism of the children's deaths. By the time Ryan was indicted, the case against him had grown far beyond that issue, and in the trial, prosecutors were even prohibited from mentioning them by name.
But the fact is that the Ryan case may never have gone as far as it did if the Willis children hadn't been the starting point -- their unwarranted deaths a beacon of moral certainty from which investigators could chart their path in the sometimes murky business of determining right from wrong in Illinois politics.

Wouldn't back down

It was his own moral certainty that caused Power to give me this quote in August 1998, a quote that frankly seemed outrageous at the time: "If George Ryan is a crook, I'd like to find out. ... When I see a guy who is as crooked as he is, I start trying to turn over rocks."
Most of the rest of us didn't know then where the Ryan investigation was headed, and with Power a major donor to Democratic politicians, there was reason to be skeptical of his aggressive approach. Ryan was running for governor at the time, and Ryan's campaign aides tried to cast doubt on Power's motives, even questioning his ethics.

But Power wouldn't back down, even when Democratic politicians friendly with Ryan tried to dissuade him from his tactics, suggesting that a personal injury lawyer would be wiser to leave the investigation of politicians to the feds.

"I'm not the kind of guy who would stick my neck out and say the things that I did if I didn't think they were true," Power said Monday.
I'm not telling you Power was a hero. He would tell you himself that he was just doing his job, a job for which he was undoubtedly well-compensated as his share of the Willises' $100 million court settlement. Power says that if there was a hero of the investigation it was Collins.
Power deserves credit, though, for sticking his neck out far beyond the comfort zone and in the process making himself a political target.
"If I got emotional at times, who wouldn't? There's nothing worse than the way they died," Power said, returning again to the fiery deaths of the six children, who perished when the gas tank of their family van was punctured by a piece of metal that fell from the undercarriage of a truck -- a truck operated by a driver who had bribed his way to an Illinois commercial driver's license.

Calls Ryan 'contributor' to deaths

Power wasn't looking Monday for any I-told-you-so's, although he made sure to point out that the Ryan administration coverup of the investigation into the accident had been an important part of the prosecution's case at trial, even though it could only be referred to as a fatal Wisconsin crash.
I asked Power if he believes Ryan bears responsibility for the deaths of the Willis children.

"He was a contributor to their deaths, absolutely," Power said. "His conduct contributed."

The day that Power first came to that belief was the beginning of the end for George Ryan.
George Ryan, sterling guy... yeah, right.
Democrats... snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, daily!

slap my salmon, baby

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:08 am

Now that is one hell of a story. It's amazing what one little piece of road debris can do. Joel, thanks for posting that.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:50 am

New sexually transmitted disease

Yesterday, 4:04 PM

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued a warning
about a new virulent strain of a sexually transmitted disease. The
disease is contracted through dangerous and high risk behavior. The
disease is called Gonorrhea Lectim and pronounced "gonna re-elect him."

Many victims contracted it in 2004, after having been screwed for the
past four years. Cognitive characteristics of individuals infected
include: anti-social personality disorders, delusions of grandeur with
messianic overtones, extreme cognitive dissonance, inability to
incorporate new information, pronounced xenophobia and paranoia,
inability to accept responsibility for own actions, cowardice masked by
misplaced bravado, uncontrolled facial smirking, ignorance of geography
and history, tendencies towards evangelical theocracy, categorical
all-or-nothing behavior.

Naturalists and epidemiologists are amazed at how this destructive
disease originated only a few years ago from a bush found in Texas.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:21 am

American Pleads Guilty as Iraq Corruption Inquiry Expands

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/19/world ... tract.html

By JAMES GLANZ
Published: April 19, 2006

The American businessman at the center of a widening corruption inquiry in Iraq pleaded guilty on Tuesday to federal charges of conspiracy, bribery and money laundering for illegally obtaining millions of dollars of construction contracts at the heart of the American-led rebuilding program in 2003 and 2004.
The court papers describing the plea agreement, motions filed by the legal team representing the businessman, Philip H. Bloom, 66, and interviews with contractors and government officials in Iraq make it clear that the case is certain to expand. The court papers, focusing narrowly on Mr. Bloom's contracting work in the south-central Iraqi city of Hilla, indicate that at least three more senior Army Reserve officers are likely to be implicated.

Mr. Bloom has been talking with prosecutors since his November arrest about the full range of his work in Iraq, according to papers that his lead lawyer, John N. Nassikas III, has filed with the Federal District Court for the District of Columbia.

Mr. Bloom's guilty plea comes with the possibility of 40 years in prison and nearly $8 million in fines and other payments, the Justice Department said in a statement.

At least three other Americans have been arrested in the case, and one of them, Robert J. Stein Jr., a former American government official in Iraq, pleaded guilty to five federal counts in February and is awaiting sentencing. The two others are senior Army Reserve officers who have been released on bail.

The papers, which argue that Mr. Bloom is not a flight risk and should be released as those talks continue, assert that he has provided "tens of thousands of documents relevant to the government's wide-ranging investigations."

Some of those discussions have led investigators to potential new cases in Baghdad, where Mr. Bloom and the companies he controlled also did extensive contracting work. A United States official in Iraq said documents and other evidence in the case also cast strong suspicion on a range of other officials who ran the Coalition Provisional Authority's local headquarters from the Babil Hotel in Hilla.

"It just seems like everybody associated with that place, there was just a dark cloud hovering over that hotel," said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case publicly.

In the guilty plea on Tuesday, Mr. Bloom admitted showering Mr. Stein and other officials with more than $4 million in bribes, gifts and stolen cash in return for steering huge reconstruction contracts to Mr. Bloom's companies. Mr. Bloom moved much of the money through wire transfers from banks in Romania, where he lived for many years, Switzerland and the Middle East to accounts controlled by his co-conspirators, the court papers say.

Mr. Stein, in turn, used the money to buy things as varied as cars, jewelry, illegal guns and real estate in his home state of North Carolina. The money for the reconstruction projects involved in this case came from Iraqi oil proceeds and assets seized from Saddam Hussein's government.

Mr. Bloom's guilty plea "sends a message to Iraqis that U.S. oversight will track down, arrest and prosecute American citizens who committed crimes in Iraq involving Iraqi money," said Stuart W. Bowen Jr., who leads the office of the Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction.

The inspector general's office originally uncovered evidence of the corruption in Hilla. Mr. Bowen said that "we have more cases of a similar vein in the pipeline" but declined to provide further specifics, citing continuing investigations.

Many details of the vortex of corruption that took shape in Hilla in 2003 and 2004 were disclosed in papers unsealed when Mr. Stein offered his guilty plea. But Mr. Bloom was not identified explicitly then, and the latest papers confirm that it was he who provided cash, plane tickets, jewelry, alcohol and "money laundering services" to officials he hoped to influence in Iraq.

Mr. Stein and others also accepted "sexual favors from women provided by Defendant Bloom at his villa in Baghdad," the papers say.

OregonRed
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Post by OregonRed » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:59 pm

M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:20 am

I wanted to post this a few days ago but I was working on my system.
The info is still good though. Hey, how do ya like this new embasy??:

Giant U.S. embassy rising in Baghdad

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq ... assy_x.htm

By Barbara Slavin, USA TODAY

Three years after a U.S.-led invasion toppled Saddam Hussein, only one major U.S. building project in Iraq is on schedule and within budget: the massive new American embassy compound.
The $592 million facility is being built inside the heavily fortified Green Zone by 900 non-Iraqi foreign workers who are housed nearby and under the supervision of a Kuwaiti contractor, according to a Senate Foreign Relations Committee report. Construction materials have been stockpiled to avoid the dangers and delays on Iraq's roads.

"We are confident the embassy will be completed according to schedule (by June 2007) and on budget," said Justin Higgins, a State Department spokesman.

The same cannot be said for major projects serving Iraqis outside the Green Zone, the Senate report said. Many — including health clinics, water-treatment facilities and electrical plants — have had to be scaled back or in some cases eliminated because of the rising costs of securing worksites and workers.

"No large-scale, U.S.-funded construction program in Iraq has yet met its schedule or budget," the committee report said.

Security is the "No. 1 factor that impedes progress," said Stuart Bowen, the special inspector general for Iraq reconstruction.

Contractors and Army Corps of Engineers officials "are being shot at or threatened every day," he said. At least 467 contractors in Iraq have been killed, said Christine Belisle, a spokeswoman for the special inspector general.

According to the special inspector general's office, which Congress created to oversee U.S. projects in Iraq, 25% of nearly $21 billion for Iraq reconstruction has been diverted to pay for security.

The massive new embassy, being built on the banks of the Tigris River, is designed to be entirely self-sufficient and won't be dependent on Iraq's unreliable public utilities.

The 104-acre complex — the size of about 80 football fields — will include two office buildings, one of them designed for future use as a school, six apartment buildings, a gym, a pool, a food court and its own power generation and water-treatment plants. The average Baghdad home has electricity only four hours a day, according to Bowen's office.

The current U.S. Embassy in Iraq has nearly 1,000 Americans working there, more than at any other U.S. embassy.

Most embassy functions are now housed in Saddam Hussein's former Republican Palace, also within the Green Zone. The U.S. government and military, which occupied many of Saddam's palaces after the 2003 U.S.-led invasion, are turning the facilities back to the Iraqi government.

The lead contractor on the embassy project is a Kuwaiti firm, First Kuwaiti Trading & Contracting, Higgins said. There are also five U.S. subcontractors, but he would not name them for security reasons.

The Senate report recommended that First Kuwaiti consider hiring more Iraqis, if they can be properly screened.

Posted 4/19/2006 12:51 AM ET

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:24 am

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:29 pm

It's a little old but...............

Rumsfeld Wanted For Warcrimes

Created by Anthony J. Pierce on 1/23/05 at 1:46 AM

Rumsfeld cancels trip after accusation

1/22/2005

US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld cancelled a planned visit to Germany after a US human rights organisation asked German authorities to prosecute him for war crimes, Deutsche Presse-Agentur (dpa) has learned.

Rumsfeld has informed the German government via the US embassy that he will not take part in the Munich Security Conference in February, conference head Horst Teltschik told dpa on Thursday.

The New York-based Centre for Constitutional Rights filed a complaint in December with the Federal German Prosecutor's Office against Rumsfeld accusing him of war crimes and torture in connection with detainee abuses at Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison.

Rumsfeld made it known immediately after the complaint was filed that he would not attend the Munich conference unless Germany quashed the legal action.

German legislation violations

The organisation alleges violations of German legislation, which outlaws war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide independent of the place of crime or origin of the accused.

The prosecutor's office in Karlsruhe reportedly is examining the roughly 170-page complaint to see whether an investigation is warranted.

The Centre for Constitutional Rights said it and four Iraqis allegedly tortured in US custody filed a complaint with German authorities against Rumsfeld, former CIA director George Tenet and eight other senior military and civilian officials over abuses at Abu Ghraib and elsewhere in Iraq.

The organisation said it had turned to German prosecutors "as a court of last resort" because the US government "is unwilling to open an independent investigation" and had "refused to join the International Criminal Court".

joel the ornery
Burning Since: 1998
Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares

Post by joel the ornery » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:18 pm

DAVID BROOKS wrote: April 27, 2006

The Death of Multiculturalism

In 1994 multiculturalism was at its high-water mark, and Richard Bernstein wrote "Dictatorship of Virtue," describing its excesses: the campus speech codes, the forced sensitivity training, the purging of dead white males from curriculums, the people who had their careers ruined by dubious charges of racism, sexism and ethnocentrism.

Then two years later, the liberal writer Michael Tomasky published "Left for Dead," which argued that the progressive movement was being ruined by multicultural identity politics. Democrats have lost the ability to talk to Americans collectively, Tomasky wrote, and seem to be a collection of aggrieved out-groups: feminists, blacks, gays and so on.

At the time, Bernstein and Tomasky were lonely voices on the left, and the multiculturalists struck back. For example, Martin Duberman slammed Tomasky's book in The Nation, and defended multiculturalism:

"The radical redefinitions of gender and sexuality that are under discussion in feminist and queer circles contain a potentially transformative challenge to all 'regimes of the normal.' The work of theorists like Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick, Jeffrey Weeks, Marjorie Garber and Judith Butler represents a deliberate systemic affront to fixed modes of being and patterns of power. They offer brilliant (if not incontrovertible) postulates about such universal matters as the historicity and fluidity of sexual desire, the performative nature of gender, and the multiplicity of impulses, narratives and loyalties that lie within us all."

Duberman insisted that postmodern multicultural theorizing would transform politics, but today his gaseous review reads as if it came from a different era, like an embarrassing glimpse of leisure suits in an old home movie.

That's because over the past few years, multiculturalism has faded away. A different sort of liberalism is taking over the Democratic Party.

Multiculturalism is in decline for a number of reasons. First, the identity groups have ossified. The feminist organizations were hypocritical during the Clinton impeachment scandal, and both fevered and weak during the Roberts and Alito hearings. Meanwhile, the civil rights groups have become stale and uninteresting.

Second, the Democrats have come to understand that they need to pay less attention to minorities and more to the white working class if they ever want to become the majority party again. Third, the intellectual energy on the left is now with the economists. People who write about inequality are more vibrant than people who write about discrimination.

Fourth and most important, 9/11 happened. The attacks aroused feelings of national solidarity, or a longing for national solidarity, that discredited the multiculturalists' tribalism.

Tomasky is now back with an essay in The American Prospect in which he argues that it is time Democrats cohered around a big idea — not diversity, and not individual rights, but the idea of the common good. The Democrats' central themes, Tomasky advises, should be that we're all in this together; we are all part of a larger national project; we all need to make some shared sacrifices and look beyond our narrow self-interest. Tomasky is hoping for a candidate who will ignore the demands of the single-issue groups and argue that all Americans have a stake in reducing economic fragmentation and social division.

Coincidentally, two other liberal writers, John Halpin and Ruy Teixeira, have just finished a long study that comes out in exactly the same place. Surveying mountains of polling data, they conclude that the Democrats' chief problem is that people don't think they stand for anything. Halpin and Teixeira argue that the message voters respond to best is the notion of shared sacrifice for the common good. After years of individualism from right and left, they observe, people are ready for an appeal to citizenship.

Naturally, this approach has weaknesses. Unlike in 1964, most Americans no longer trust government to be the altruistic champion of the common good, even if they wish it could. And while writers and voters talk about the common good, politicians are wired to think about their team. Harry Reid and Chuck Schumer will never ask their people to make sacrifices, but until they do, the higher talk of common good will sound like bilge.

Nonetheless, the decline of multiculturalism and the rebirth of liberal American nationalism is a significant event. Democrats are purging the last vestiges of the New Left and returning to the older civic liberalism of the 1950's and early 1960's.

Goodbye, Jesse Jackson. Goodbye, Gloria Steinem. Hello, Harry Truman.

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:04 pm

Harry dropped the 'bomb'
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:53 pm

cowboyangel wrote:Harry dropped the 'bomb'
Is there a problem with that? Considering the alternative at the time, Operation Olympic, I have no problem with it.
K-IV
~~~~

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:26 am

harumphf .
Politics~Shmolitics.
heh.
Think the Democrats can wrestle back a little control in `08?
...maybe if we could peel our asses off the sofa a little more often and maybe...VOTE or something along those lines, but don`t worry, our -
Government has it all under control...We Are Safe.
The Tairists are being conquered at a global level,
Our precious fuel reserves are being righteously guarded,
We can go to sleep and feel pertected.

Besides,

Democrats,
Republicans,
Independents,
Panderers,
Placaters,
Politicizers,
Profiteers,
Politicians

don`t really matter. (though they won`t go away)

Whutever the Decider decides...that`s how it`s gonna be.

Fer the next 2 years .. at least .

hang on.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Mon May 01, 2006 7:02 am

sweet jesus i hate bill oreilly
http://www.sweetjesusihatebilloreilly.com/

Just when you thought it couldn't get any better. :lol:

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Mon May 01, 2006 9:34 am

No More Televised WH Briefings

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/5/1/11354/61822

by Six Degrees of Aaron
Mon May 01, 2006 at 08:03:54 AM PDT
It is odd that the WH finally gets a TV personality to be the Press Secretary and they are discussing limited the number of televised press briefings.

Bolten tipped his hand in only one area, suggesting that the White House might stop allowing its daily news briefing to be televised in full in hopes of discouraging posturing for the cameras and toning down the confrontational atmosphere. Television cameras were permitted only for the opening minutes of the briefing until Clinton White House press secretary Michael McCurry allowed them to air the entire session beginning in 1995.

Six Degrees of Aaron's diary :: ::
Where did Bolton make this comment - FOX News - what a shock.

Bolten said he would leave it up to new press secretary Tony Snow to decide whether to reverse that. "It's worth considering," Bolten said. "I think that will be Tony Snow's first test to see what kind of power player he really is and whether he's able to establish the right kind of relationship with the press that we need going forward."

Bolten's choice of Fox for his first interview since taking over as chief of staff April 14 provided fodder for critics of the relationship between the White House and its favorite news network. Snow hosted Fox News Sunday from its inception in 1996 until 2003 and then hosted a Fox radio show. The White House says it sometimes turns to Fox for interviews for a fairer, not friendlier, shake and said Bolten agreed to go on because the Sunday show was celebrating its 10th anniversary.

This is getting to easy. I think I'll go fishing, maybe the fish will just jump into the boat for me.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Wed May 03, 2006 5:01 am

plame was working on iran weapons proliferation

http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/art ... 1002426164

By E&P Staff

Published: May 02, 2006 10:55 AM ET

NEW YORK What was Valerie Plame working on at the CIA when she was outed by administraton officials and columnist Robert Novak? MSNBC's David Schuster on Monday said he had confirmed an earlier report that she was helping to keep track of Iran's nuclear activity--not a front and center issue for the White House.

Earlier this year, Larisa Alexandrovna of the Web site RawStory.com, reported that Plame, whose covert status was compromised in the leak, was monitoring weapons proliferation in Iran. At the time, officials told her that Plame's outing resulted in "severe" damage to her team and "significantly hampered the CIA's ability to monitor nuclear proliferation."

On last night's Hardball, MSNBC correspondent Shuster reported that intelligence sources told him thatr Wilson was part of an operation three years ago "tracking the proliferation of nuclear weapons material into Iran." And the sources asserted, he said, "that when here Wilson's cover was blown, the administration's ability to track Iran's nuclear ambitions was damaged as well."

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Wed May 03, 2006 9:12 am

The following takes place between 1 and 2 AM...

OOps - wrong show!

Reply to something in Alaska Deja-Vu...

No no no... you are missing the point.

The game is this. (1) Make sure you CAN'T get oil from any OPEC countries (except one, see later) by giving them the shaft, so (2) you have an excuse to mandate violating the protected areas to feed people's addiction to gasoline and fuel oil, so you can (3) jack prices up SO far you keep pocketing the money of the citizens you swore to protect, so you can (4) decimate them to subjugation and make them your loyal serfs, so you can (5) be the King and rule the world to it's end.

(6) And if you don't play by these rules, which were decided for you, you are a rulebreaker and must be punished. In this real-life game, that means one of the new "detention centers". Of course, (7) all writings which try to tell people (like this one, for example) will be eradicated (and you don't even have to burn them - how convenient - they will "delete" them for you!) and they (and you) will be deemed never to exist.

Think it's silly? Ask Russians who were well off a century ago (1906) just how silly such a plan was just 30 years later. (Stalinist Purge Era). Or the Chinese in 1939 who went through the cultural revolution 30 years later.

And you wonder *why* writings like this will be made to disappear?? The last thing the King wants is to have people remember history... if they do, it can't be repeated. Except... this time, they will learn from those other silly people's mistakes, and not make them, so they will be successful at the game of Global Annhiliation, er, Domination. (Don't want to let the cat outta the bag, do we?)

Think about it. And realize to what lengths you will be propogandized and manipulated just to suck them oily profits out of ANWAR and wipe out the ecosystem (both there and elsewhere) in the process...

One last thing... Don't you wonder why Fox's Mexico (which is an OPEC country and big oil producer) somehow is NOT being mentioned in any of this... yet? And who was the first foreign leader to greet the new president?

Have a freaking scary day...

can't sit still

Post by can't sit still » Fri May 05, 2006 9:11 pm

Sue, I've travelled in 45 other countries. America and Australia were populated to a certain extent by criminals and other dissatisfied people. Americans are a different breed I'm proud to say.
I'd like to believe that those detention centers would be full to bursting with people who refuse to be sheep. I think that Burners will be well represented. If I can't slip through their fingers when and if the appointed time comes,,,I'll hold my head up high as they close that gate behind me.

You can't mis-govern people who refuse to be sheep. Americans in uniform will go only so far in persecuting their fellow Americans. They WON'T follow a despot.
The thing that makes me nervous is the progress that they're making in battlefield robots. They WILL follow the orders of a despot.
Dan
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

can't sit still

Post by can't sit still » Fri May 05, 2006 9:15 pm

judge for yourself

I don't know how accurate this is, but sounds interesting, and quite plausible.

"Bird Flu"

Do you know that 'bird flu' was discovered in Vietnam 9 years ago?
Do you know that barely 100 people have died in the whole world in all that time?
Do you know that it was the Americans who alerted us to the efficacy of the human antiviral TAMIFLU as a preventative.
Do you know that TAMIFLU barely alleviates some symptoms of the common flu?
Do you know that its efficacy against the common flu is questioned by a great part of the scientific community?
Do you know that against a SUPPOSED mutant virus such as H5N1, TAMIFLU barely alleviates the illness?
Do you know that to date Avian Flu affects birds only? N Korea????
Do you know who markets TAMIFLU?
ROCHE LABORATORIES.

Do you know who bought the patent for TAMIFLU from ROCHE LABORATORIES in 1996?
GILEAD SCIENCES INC.

Do you know who was the then president of GILEAD SCIENCES INC. and remains a major shareholder?
DONALD RUMSFELD, the present Secretary of Defence of the USA.

Do you know that the base of TAMIFLU is crushed aniseed?
Do you know who controls 90% of the world's production of this tree?
ROCHE.

Do you know that sales of TAMIFLU were over $254 million in 2004 and more than $1000 million in 2005?
Do you know how many more millions ROCHE can earn in the coming months f the business of fear continues?

So the summary of the story is as follows:

Bush's friends decide that the medicine TAMIFLU is the solution for a pandemic that has not yet occurred and that has caused a hundred deaths
worldwide in 9 years.
This medicine doesn't so much as cure the common flu.
In normal conditions the virus does not affect humans.
Rumsfeld sells the patent for TAMIFLU to ROCHE for which they pay him a fortune.
Roche acquires 90% of the global production of crushed aniseed, the base for the antivirus.
The governments of the entire world threaten a pandemic and then buy industrial quantities of the product from Roche.
So we end up paying for medicine while Rumsfeld, Cheney and Bush do the business.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Annie

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Fri May 05, 2006 9:35 pm

GOOD LORD!

Finally some intelligent facts.

Hats off to ya CSS. Touche'.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Fri May 05, 2006 11:03 pm

Turns out that's not the only drug Rummy boy has been pushing:

http://www.channelu.com/Articles/Aspertame/lawsuit.html

Aspertame Lawsuits
accuse many companies of POISONING

This release is issued by courtesy of:
WORLD NATURAL HEALTH ORGANIZATION
(for further information on this Breaking News and History of Aspartame)
www.wnho.net

NATIONAL JUSTICE LEAGUE
NationalJusticeleague.com 2205 Hilltop Dr. Ste. 2022
Redding, Ca 96002
Phone : 208-246-1171
California: 530-248-3483
Cell Phone: 208-890-0034
E-mail: [email protected]

April 6, 2004 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ASPARTAME LAWSUITS ACCUSE MANY COMPANIES OF POISONING THE PUBLIC

Defendants in the lawsuits include Coca-cola, PepsiCo, Bayer Corp., the Dannon Company, William Wrigley Jr. Company, Walmart, ConAgra Foods, Wyeth, Inc., The NutraSweet Company, and Altria Corp. (parent company of Kraft Foods and Philip Morris).

SACRAMENTO-- April 6th, Lawsuits were filed in three separate California courts against twelve companies who either produce or use the artificial sweetener aspartame as a sugar substitute in their products. The suits were filed in Shasta, Sonoma and Butte County, California.

The suits allege that the food companies committed fraud and breach of warranty by marketing products to the public such as diet Coke, diet Pepsi, sugar free gum, Flintstone's vitamins, yogurt and children's aspirin with the full knowledge that aspartame, the sweetener in them, is neurotoxic.

Aspartame is a drug masquerading as an additive. It interacts with other drugs, has a synergistic and additive effect with MSG, and is a chemical hyper-sensitization agent. As far back as 1970, Dr. John Olney founded the field of neuroscience called excitotoxicity when he did studies on aspartic acid, which makes up 40% of aspartame, and found it caused lesions in the brains of mice. He made world news on the aspartame/brain tumor connection in l996. Dr. Ralph Walton, Professor and Chairman of the Department of Psychiatry, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine has written of the behavioral and psychiatric problems triggered by aspartame-caused depletion of serotonin.

Aspartame causes headache, memory loss, seizures, vision loss, coma and cancer. It worsens or mimics the symptoms of such diseases and conditions as fibromyalgia, MS, lupus, ADD, diabetes, Alzheimer's, chronic fatigue and depression.

Aspartame liberates free methyl alcohol. The resulting chronic methanol poisoning affects the dopamine system of the brain causing addiction. Methanol, or wood alcohol, constitutes one-third of the aspartame molecule and is classified as a severe metabolic poison and narcotic.

Recent news is full of reports of world-class athletes and other healthy consumers of aspartame suddenly dropping dead. Sudden death can occur from aspartame use because it damages the cardiac conduction system.

Dr. Woodrow Monte in the peer reviewed journal, Aspartame: Methanol and the Public Health, wrote: "When diet sodas and soft drinks, sweetened with aspartame, are used to replace fluid loss during exercise and physical exertion in hot climates, the intake of methanol can exceed 250 mg/day or 32 times the Environmental Protection Agency's recommended limit of consumption for this cumulative poison."

The effects of aspartame are documented by the FDA's own data. In 1995 the agency was forced, under the Freedom Of Information Act, to release a list of ninety-two aspartame symptoms reported by thousands of victims. This is only the tip of the iceberg. H. J. Roberts, MD, published the medical text "Aspartame Disease: An Ignored Epidemic" -- 1,000 pages of symptoms and diseases triggered by this neurotoxin including the sordid history of its approval.

Since its discovery in 1965, controversy has raged over the health risks associated with the sugar substitute. From laboratory testing of the chemical on rats, researchers have discovered that the drug induces brain tumors. On Sept 30, l980 the Board of Inquiry of the FDA concurred and denied the petition for approval. In l981, the newly appointed FDA Commissioner, Arthur Hull Hayes, ignored the negative ruling and approved aspartame for dry goods. As recorded in the Congressional Record of 1985, then CEO of Searle Laboratories Donald Rumsfeld said that he would call in his markers to get aspartame approved. Rumsfeld was on President Reagan's transition team and a day after taking office appointed Hayes. No FDA Commissioner in the previous sixteen years had allowed Aspartame on the market.

In 1983, aspartame was approved for use in carbonated beverages. Today it is found in over 5000 foods, drinks and medicines.

Neurosurgeon Russell Blaylock, MD, author of "Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills" (http://www.russellblaylockmd.com) wrote about the relationship between aspartame and macular degeneration, diabetic blindness and glaucoma (all known to result from excitotoxin accumulation in the retina).

All of these neurodegenerative diseases are worsened by aspartame. In addition, we now have evidence that excitotoxins play a major role in exacerbation of MS and other demyelinating disorders including trigeminal neuraliga. Blaylock says that new studies show excitotoxins trigger significant elevation of free radicals in the lining (endothelial cells) of arteries, which means that aspartame will increase the incidence of heart attacks and strokes (atherosclerosis).

In original studies, aspartame has triggered brain, mammary, uterine, ovarian, testicular, thyroid and pancreatic tumors.

Plaintiffs have asked for an injunction to stop companies from producing, manufacturing, processing, selling or using aspartame.

Plaintiffs in all three cases are seeking a jury trial.

If you would like to schedule someone from the National Justice League for an interview, please call or fax us at 208-246-1171.

Roberta Bellon, Public Relations

FOR INFORMATION ON ASPARTAME:
dorway.com
wnho.net

You can also contact Dr. Betty Martini, Founder,
Mission Possible Intl,
9270 River Club Parkway,
Duluth, Georgia 30097 USA
770 242-2599

Return to “Open Discussion”