Politics, Everyday, All day... morning, noon and night....

All things outside of Burning Man.
Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:23 am

yes, actually my vote counts as one.
Democrats... snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, daily!

slap my salmon, baby

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:31 am

dvd...just shows what government can be when one party controlls house senate, whitehouse and supreme court
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:33 am

like during FDR's 3 consecutive terms?

slap my salmon, baby

Simply Joel

Look at the future, this could be it...

Post by Simply Joel » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:35 am

June 24, 2004
OP-ED COLUMNIST
Doing Our Homework
By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN

DALIAN, China

When I was growing up, my parents used to say to me: "Finish your dinner — people in China are starving." I, by contrast, find myself wanting to say to my daughters: "Finish your homework — people in China and India are starving for your job."

That thought struck me in a visit to Dalian, a port city in northeastern China. It is not just impressive for a Chinese city. With its wide boulevards, beautiful green spaces and nexus of universities, technical colleges and a massive software park, Dalian would stand out in Silicon Valley.

Dalian symbolizes how much China's most modern cities — and there are still plenty of miserable, backward ones — are rapidly grabbing business as knowledge centers, not just manufacturing hubs. No, Toto, they are not just making tennis shoes here. Try G.E., Microsoft, Dell, SAP, H.P., Sony and Accenture, which are setting up back-room operations here for Asian companies and software R.& D. centers.

"I've taken a lot of American people to Dalian, and they are amazed at how fast the China economy is growing in this high-tech area," said Win Liu, director of U.S./E.U. projects for DHC, one of Dalian's biggest homegrown companies, which grew from 30 to 1,200 employees in six years. "Americans don't realize the challenge to the extent that they should. I do have confidence in the American people, though, to take the challenge."

Because of Japan's long colonization of this area in the first half of the 20th century, Dalian has a pool of people who know Japanese. And because of its proximity to Japan and its abundance of Internet bandwidth, and parks and golf courses that attract knowledge workers, Dalian has become the Bangalore of China — the center for outsourcing by Japanese businesses that want to tap China's low-cost brainpower. Japanese companies can hire three Chinese software engineers for the price of one in Japan, and still have change to buy a room full of call-center operators (starting salary: $90 a month).

Although Japan is still deeply resented for its wartime abuses in China, young Chinese have not let that stop them from working as data-entry technicians, software programmers or call-center operators for Japanese companies — some 2,800 have set up in Dalian — in order to get onto the first rung of the high-tech ladder.

"We have 22 universities and colleges with over 200,000 students in Dalian," the city's mayor, Xia Deren, told me. More than half graduate with engineering or science degrees, and even those who don't are directed to spend a year studying Japanese or English and computer science.

"The Japanese enterprises originally started some processing industries here," the mayor added, "and with this as a base, they have now moved to R.& D. and software development. . . . In the past one or two years, the software companies of the U.S. are also making some attempts to move outsourcing of software from the U.S. to our city."

Although some of what the mayor says gets lost in translation, he gets it — and we should, too: "The rule of the market economy is that if somewhere has the richest human resources and the cheapest labor, of course the enterprises and the businesses will naturally go there," he said.

Just as in manufacturing, he added, "Chinese people first were the employees and working for the big foreign manufacturers. And after several years, after we have learned all the processes and steps, we can start our own firms. Software will go down the same road. . . . First we will have our young people employed by the foreigners, and then we will start our own. It is like building a building. Today, the U.S., you are the designers, the architects, and the developing countries are the bricklayers for the buildings. But one day, I hope, we will be the architects."

The Chinese certainly want to believe it's inevitable that they will move from basic software outsourcing to design, but even a top Chinese science planner acknowledges that it won't be easy. Xu Kuangdi, president of the Chinese Academy of Engineering, said to me that for China to advance, "we have to build more products from our own intellectual property." But in software, he added, that will require "improving the innovative capability of the younger generation," which will require some big changes in China's rigid, rote education system. Chinese officials, he said, are thinking about such changes right now. I wouldn't bet against them.

Have your kids finished their homework?

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company

slap my salmon, baby

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:35 am

different US, different world, different everyday folk...don'tcha like social security?
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:38 pm

AN JOSE, Calif. - Four years after former Chrysler Corp. chairman Lee Iacocca cut ads supporting George W. Bush's election, he's switching alliances to presidential challenger John Kerry (news - web sites).

· Cheney Utters 'F-Word' in Senate -- Aides
Reuters - 21 minutes ago
· Federal Workers' Union Endorses Kerry
AP - 1 hour, 14 minutes ago

Iacocca decided to announce his endorsement in person at a Kerry speech Thursday on creating high-tech industry jobs in Silicon Valley.

Iacocca, 79, gained a reputation as a champion of innovation within the automotive industry. He oversaw the development of the Ford Mustang in the 1960s and later the minivan and electric vehicles while at Chrysler Corp. He is the chairman and founder of EV Global Motors Co., a Los Angeles-based firm that designs electronic bicycles.

In a television ad that aired in Michigan during the 2000 campaign, Iacocca criticized Democratic presidential candidate Al Gore (news - web sites) on automotive issues, contending that Gore's environmentally "extreme ideas" could cost autoworkers their jobs.

Iacocca retired as chairman of Chrysler Corp. in 1992. He was president of Ford Motor Co. before joining financially ailing Chrysler in 1978.

In prepared remarks, Kerry said Thursday that the United States is losing its technological edge under President Bush (news - web sites)'s leadership, with the disappearance of 800,000 high-tech jobs and falling from 4th to 10th in the use of broadband. He said countries such as South Korea (news - web sites) and Japan are deploying networks that are 20-50 times faster than what is available in the United States.

He vowed to create jobs in the high-tech industry through an investment of $30 billion raised by auctioning off broadcast airwaves.

"This technological revolution is the foundation of a 21st century economy," Kerry said. "But it's up to us to build on that foundation so that we can create and expand 21st century jobs. We won't get very far with a government that wants to stifle or ignore the creativity and entrepreneurship that will produce the next big idea: We need to encourage it and invest in it."

Cocca Jamocca is goin left ole Joel Ole boy........

Simply Joel

Yes, Virginia, people are held accountable for what they say

Post by Simply Joel » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:11 pm

Judge Sorry for Likening Bush, Hitler

By LARRY NEUMEISTER, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - A federal judge offered his "profound regret" Thursday for saying President Bush's rise to power was similar to that of Mussolini and Hitler.

Judge Guido Calabresi, 71, of the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan, drew an audible gasp from lawyers attending Saturday's convention of the American Constitution Society in Washington, according to the New York Sun, which quoted the speech in Monday's editions.

"My remarks were extemporaneous and, in hindsight, reasonably could be — and indeed have been — understood to do something which I did not intend, that is, take a partisan position," Calabresi wrote in a letter of apology to Chief Judge John Walker.

Calabresi, a former dean of Yale Law School, was quoted saying the U.S. Supreme Court "put somebody in power" when a ruling it made in December 2000 settled the dispute over whether Bush had defeated Al Gore.

"In a way that occurred before but is rare in the United States ... somebody came to power as a result of the illegitimate acts of a legitimate institution that had the right to put somebody in power," Calabresi said. "The reason I emphasize that is because that is exactly what happened when Mussolini was put in by the king of Italy.

"The King of Italy had the right to put Mussolini in, though he had not won an election, and make him prime minister," the judge continued. "That is what happened when Hindenburg put Hitler in."

Calabresi told the lawyers: "I am not suggesting for a moment that Bush is Hitler. I want to be clear on that, but it is a situation which is extremely unusual."

Calabresi went on to say the public should expel Bush from office to cleanse the democratic system. "That's got nothing to do with the politics of it. It's got to do with the structural reassertion of democracy," Calabresi was quoted saying.

In his letter of apology, Calabresi said he was "deeply sorry" for remarks that were meant as "a rather complicated academic argument about the nature of re-elections after highly contested original elections" — but that were "too easily taken as partisan."

"That is something which judges should do their best to avoid, and there, I clearly failed," he wrote.

In a letter to the rest of the appeals judges, Walker said Calabresi's "off-the-cuff" comments had been viewed as a call to oppose Bush's re-election. He warned them to refrain from political activity or public endorsements because partisan political comments violate the Code of Judicial Conduct.

slap my salmon, baby

G.W.B.

Post by G.W.B. » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:20 pm

I just realized something which I thought may be kinda scary.

More and more on this thread are starting to do the Joel. You know the "cut n' paste" thing.
Grand Whopping Bastard.

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:27 pm

some people use this as their only news source...

unfair and unbalanced...

slap my salmon, baby

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:10 pm

what's wrong with cut and paste in a political thread?
(specially when we have some who demand cites)

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:27 pm

Ok that's it.

I will now stop calling him Bush and start calling him George W.
It's just to insulting to all the diffrent types of Bush I know.
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:32 pm

Joel Michael's film is worth the watch you will like it if only to see what a complete moron Bush is......

G.W.B.

Post by G.W.B. » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:52 pm

So, now that the government got caught on camera C-span, with the vise president using the "F" word, does that mean that the government fines itself for vulgar lanuage ?
Grand Whopping Bastard.

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:07 pm

in the movie Cheney comes across as the stealthy toxic rotten corporate slime ball that he is.....may the batteries fail in the fucker's pacemaker when he's on the pot.....

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:17 pm

cowboyangel wrote:in the movie Cheney comes across as the stealthy toxic rotten corporate slime ball that he is.....may the batteries fail in the fucker's pacemaker when he's on the pot.....
Please Lord, don't let him die like Elvis. Flaming plane crash, sure. Just don't sully the Throne.
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:51 pm

what is this world comming to?

Jamming on my bass to whatever comes on tv, (it's how I get my practice in sometimes....you know, play anything that comes at ya.) when I come across Fox news, ( they have some good jams occasionaly.) and their talking about "Skull and Bones and P. J. O'Rourke in the same show........ on FOX.

how ironic. :shock:

Whoa......So this is who you're talkin about huh Joel?

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:08 am

cowboyangel wrote:Joel Michael's film is worth the watch you will like it if only to see what a complete moron Bush is......
I don't need that fat unkept liberal f*ckwit for anything now or in the unforseen future.

slap my salmon, baby

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:09 am

Rob the Wop wrote:
cowboyangel wrote:in the movie Cheney comes across as the stealthy toxic rotten corporate slime ball that he is.....may the batteries fail in the fucker's pacemaker when he's on the pot.....
Please Lord, don't let him die like Elvis. Flaming plane crash, sure. Just don't sully the Throne.
here here.

slap my salmon, baby

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:12 am

Simply Joel wrote:like during FDR's 3 consecutive terms?
cowboyangel wrote:different US, different world, different everyday folk...don'tcha like social security?
what planet do you live on... we and our children will be paying on that pyramid scheme for a damn long time, with limited benefits, i might add.

I need some f*cking coffe. Time to go mow 2 acres of lawn.... sheesh.

slap my salmon, baby

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:11 am

California cops are doing a great job this week huh? :lol:

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:04 pm

Simply Joel wrote:
Rob the Wop wrote:
here here.
ok ok modification to curse noted.......

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:47 pm

just a thought....
my folks are conservative Catholics and they vote for Bush because of the abortion issue...yet I manage to love them dearly.....lesson here.......

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:58 pm

Cheney brings that Senate to the lowest levels since the Abolition of Slavery:

Boys and Girls can you say, "Fuck You!"

The Demon shows his evil face!

A II Z

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:04 am

what cracks me up is seeing Republicans at Burningman. I mean really, is'nt Burningman a liberal event? Republicans IMHO seem to be rather reserved. Conservative. How can one be this way? When at the end of the day it all balls down to gettin freeky with it.

Or in other words ....................gettin your freak on. :lol:

How you gonna get your freak on bein reserved or being conservitive.
I bet behind closed doors Republicans get really freaky.

Hey Joel, can you enlighten us in this area please. Or at least enlighten me cause I'm havin a hard time imaginin how you do it. :lol:

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:05 am

:lol:

G.W.B.

Post by G.W.B. » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:19 am

Joel is a closet Democrat.
Grand Whopping Bastard.

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:44 am

G.W.B. wrote:Joel is a closet Democrat.
in your f*cking dreams and my worst nighmare.

slap my salmon, baby

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:45 am

DVD Burner wrote: Republicans IMHO seem to be rather reserved. Conservative.

Perhaps they need Burningman more then Democrats do!

We all need a release don't we.

Nader lose the Green Party indorsement. That's was the only event that the Republicans were hoping for. Without Nader, GWB and the Republicans have no hope now except in four years when McCain runs. GWB has turned out to be the worst thing to happen to the republican party. He has divided more Republicans, lossed democratic sway votes and many republicans have crossed over because of the Iraq war.

I might be voting democrat now, but when the republicans change back from they're extreme right to more to the middle they may get my vote, but for now I'm squarely in the Demo court.

A II Z

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:45 am

DVD Burner wrote:what cracks me up is seeing Republicans at Burningman. I mean really, is'nt Burningman a liberal event? Republicans IMHO seem to be rather reserved. Conservative. How can one be this way? When at the end of the day it all balls down to gettin freeky with it.

Or in other words ....................gettin your freak on. :lol:

How you gonna get your freak on bein reserved or being conservitive.
I bet behind closed doors Republicans get really freaky.

Hey Joel, can you enlighten us in this area please. Or at least enlighten me cause I'm havin a hard time imaginin how you do it. :lol:
radical self expression and reliance.... sounds conservative to me.

f*cking whining liberal pukes who eat their own.

slap my salmon, baby

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:56 am

One final note:

America has always voted the middle of road. Extremist, right or left, politicians get the local vote, but never the presidential vote, unless they misrepresent themselves like Bush did when he stated he was to be the Isolationist Presidential Candidate and within a few months he was ready to go to war.

A II Z

Return to “Open Discussion”