Beyond the Black Rock

All things outside of Burning Man.

Beyond the Black Rock

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:18 pm

Beyond the Black Rock. Amidst all the rancour it is easy to forget that the playa is just the beginning of a grand and wild country. I spend a great deal of time wandering in the mesas and steppes and canyons and mountains beyond. I often take people back into this country, sometimes to hunt sometimes to wander. I do use horses, but water is a great problem in many areas, so I use pack llamas frequently. I have posted some photos and will update the page. Feel free to take a look at the photos. When you do, please realize that whatever beauty you have seen at the playa is just the beginning. Perhaps you will begin to see why planting 30,000 people even for only a week is an abomination.
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubgallery.asp?id_=673347 :lol:

UPdate

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:00 pm

Update. http://www.villagephotos.com/pubgallery.asp?id_=673347
Image 1; Cam and Tizzie in Box Canyon
Image 2: Tizzie and Jeffers in Box Canyon
Image 3; Four llamas and BRR hiking across a mesa
Image 4; BRC and son and llamas
Image 5;Que Si the llama and a wild horse in the background.
Image 6; Camp along a creek Beyond the Black Rock
Image 7; BRC with clients in an aspen stand.
Image 8; Section of Lassen Applegate trail with 150 year old wagon ruts, in High Rock Canyon
Image 9; BRC himself, sans weapons,
Image 10; Lake Black Rock, the playa flooded in a wet winter
Image 11; Wild horses running across a valley, Lead Mare in front, Stallion in rear to protect.

Duh, who is BRC,, tis only BRR

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:01 pm

Duh, who is BRC,, tis only BRR

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:25 pm

I'm totally confused. is BRR sombodies sock or is this for real. :lol:

This is starting to really sound like Dr. Henry Kissenger and Dr.Condaliza Rice.

All these so called smart people are proving my point. High levels of educational degrees really dont mean shit.

what is the purpose of your post BRR? And I'm NFTT.
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

HUH

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:28 pm

HuH look at the pictures dude

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:38 pm

Black Rock Ric wrote:HuH look at the pictures dude
Already did. why would'nt I have. You posted them.

I dont get it.

what's up?

If someone else gets what's going on here please enlighten me.

ramen

Post by ramen » Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:42 pm

The shot of the herd of horses is very cool.
Short Attention Span Theatre

Badger

Post by Badger » Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:52 pm

The shot of the herd of horses is very cool.
Yes indeed. But...
Perhaps you will begin to see why planting 30,000 people even for only a week is an abomination.
I'm not sure how several photos of pack llamas, horses and a few panoramas of basin grabens make for a compelling argument against having the event - much less illuminating any of us (or others) to the abomination perspective.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:29 pm

I was looking for enlightenment here. I found.....

nothing!

Except another set of ramblings from BRR that left me just as unenlightened as I was before reading them as to what he was trying to communicate to us. There's nothing to see here folks, move along!

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:36 pm

:lol:

Wind_Borne

Post by Wind_Borne » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:30 am

Horses... Cool. Here's a photo of me and my siblings out for a ride here in the coastal mountains.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
-- George Washington

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:51 am

Wind_Borne,

Now you know I have admired you deeply, and that was a lovely picture of you and your syblings having a wonderful time in the kinda wilderness,
and I too have also shared some of my pics and horses on nice land.
but what still does this have to do with anyone beginning to see why planting 30,000 people even for only a week @ BM is an abomination?

Sir Bush and W. are a true abomination and I dont see any PHD.'s talking about that. More so than Le Bush.

(and I aint talkin weed)

Seems to me these pics seem to be just a release from the real issues of reality.

Please enlighten me. :?

Dan D. Lyon

Post by Dan D. Lyon » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:51 am

DVD Burner wrote:
Black Rock Ric wrote:HuH look at the pictures dude
Already did. why would'nt I have. You posted them.

I dont get it.

what's up?

If someone else gets what's going on here please enlighten me.
I think what’s lost in the translation is Rics exalted affinity with the greater Black Rock region is, ironically, similar to burning man attendees attempts at explaining burning man to the uninitiated – basically you have to be there to understand it. The pictures just don’t invoke the actual experience of being there.

It seems Rics identity/ego is so wrapped up in the remoteness of the desert that such a mass of people plopping down in the middle of his serenity is just plain offensive to him. It probably doesn't help that they're having a lot of fun.

The only point of common ground that I can suggest to you Ric is that on the limited playa of Black Rock City, it is my experience that people get an equally profound sense of space that I perceive you do, believe it or not.

In the early, lower population years of burning man, there were no restrictions of travel for attendees. We explored many far reaches of the region and reveled in its unbounded vastness (truely "where the pavement ends and west begins"). With the current population, despite stirring up dust -- impact wise, creating and keeping within the boundaries of Black Rock City makes good sense. I can’t imagine you would really suggest removing the boundary. What?, drop the 'Burning Man' and incourage 'Lion Hunt' with 30,000 individuals loose on pack animals... I don't think so.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:01 am

Dan D. Lyon wrote: I think what’s lost in the translation is Rics exalted affinity with the greater Black Rock region is, ironically, similar to burning man attendees attempts at explaining burning man to the uninitiated – basically you have to be there to understand it. The pictures just don’t invoke the actual experience of being there.

It seems Rics identity/ego is so wrapped up in the remoteness of the desert that such a mass of people plopping down in the middle of his serenity is just plain offensive to him. It probably doesn't help that they're having a lot of fun.
Just my point again. all this PHD. shit, Rumsfield, wolfowitz, Cheney and the lot go around the world fucking it all up not just for everybody but for themselves and their kids with a bunch of their dipshit followers to boot spreading their "word of GOD" to other stupid fanatics around the world and some so called PHD with his llamas and horses is gonna ruin my read of eplaya about how BM's measly 30,000+ peeps having a good time for one week out of the year is an abomination?

Please don't get me started.

he and SBMO need to re check their priorities. really.

Anyone wanna play some frisbee?

catch

Wind_Borne

Post by Wind_Borne » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:41 am

DVD Burner,

I'm saying about a thosand things with that photo; and right now I have not the words to explain those things. Perhaps I'll make an attempt at words in the morning.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
-- George Washington

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:07 am

Wind_Borne wrote:DVD Burner,

I'm saying about a thosand things with that photo; and right now I have not the words to explain those things. Perhaps I'll make an attempt at words in the morning.
That's ok. I understand what you mean by the photo.
Hope you dont misunderstand my point.

That said, I too had agreed with BRR on the beauty of landscapes and animals. I only had a problem when he added how a small group of people that were having a good time, a good bunch of people that dont do anywhere's as much harm to the planet and to each other as the powers that be that rule this miserable planet do.

That is my point, and now as Tancorix mentioned;
"I was looking for enlightenment here. I found.....

nothing!

Except another set of ramblings from BRR that left me just as unenlightened as I was before reading them as to what he was trying to communicate to us. There's nothing to see here folks, move along!"

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:58 am

just wish people would bug the other Enrons like this one

http://www.areva.com/servlet/ContentSer ... up_en/home

a

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:12 am

Windborne,, it is hard to beat the coastal hills of CA for sheer beauty, in the winter and spring it is the most beautiful country in the world, imho. Would you like to host BM there?
Dan D. Lyon, how about Pozo for BM nice bar there, lots of ranchers who would like to make some money?

Badger, only a couple photos, that of the wild horses and the photo of my daughter showed grabens, the rest are volcanic extrusion mesas, mixtures of andesite, rhyolite, and lots of ash, but mostly basalt. The canyons are down cut through the mesas along fault lines.
Deep and narrow 800-1000 ft deep, most of them. They predate the Cascade range formation, but are part of the same plate subduction process.

Nevada has always been an economic colony of California. Most of the money in Nevada has come from resource extraction, and has left the state. Much of San Francisco was built with Virginia City money. The Union was assisted tremendously in the fight with the South by Virginia City silver and gold. Even today the major mines in Nevada are foreign owned. Among Nevadans there is a resentment of outsiders, especially Californians. It takes a long time to build your bonafides. You can move in and for twenty years your property will be referred to by the name of the previous owners.

The influx of 30,000 foreigners for one week, is much the same as spring break in Cancun.. The etrangers come in, spend money, look silly, leave.. Most BM'ers aren't from here, and really aren't wanted. In Gerlach and Empire Bruno and the owners of the Empire store make money.. that is about it. The high schoolers hold a car wash.. Down the road the indians sell indian Tacos. But, most folk in and around Gerlach are extremely conservative, some are retirees, some are Nevada natives, some are just serious rednecks (I could tell you some stories). A poll taken in Northern Washoe County, would likely find a majority wanting BM gone.

I posted the photos, not for the negative fault finders among you, but on the sage advice of one of the posters, that there are folks who read this board who are open to "what lies beyond" Too many BM'ers have no concept of the landscape they are in. As most people have no concept of the landscape of Nevada and the stark beauty of the state. Those of you who look for the negative, I cannot fault, caught as you are in the meaningless techno-industrial wasteland, you must lash out at the Jeffersonian concept, like the studies of too many rats placed into a cage, you turn on each other in a neurotic cannibalistic killing and eating frenzy, not your fault, I understand, but try this; leave your life, buy a VW bus, move to Manteca and grow organic produce on your pied a terre. That be the cowboy way. Ya'll jess might find a Siddharthic peace within ya'lls oversophisticated lives..

DVD

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:26 am

DVD, I have to foller up jess a bit,, ya'll got this idear that I be a PHD? Where you get that young feller? Ah, jess be a simple, buckaroo, llamero, out in them once empty hills... The simple point to the photos is,, get beyond, get beyond the BM, the playa, the negativity.. get simple.

Last Real Burner

May The Great God Chucky Cheese Smiles Upon You...

Post by Last Real Burner » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:44 am

BBR says,"DVD --- get simple."

Wait he is simple... haven't you been watching?

"Don't Quote me on that, my boss said it first."

prerequistedly,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

d

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:26 am

Dunno 'bout that, ifn he cain burn a DVD he is more complex than I, my kids can I cain't. I have to go out and shovel horse puckey, so I thought I would toss a bit more in here. In some of the posts there is some really bad poetry and some really bad prose.. I don't have the heart to tell them to their faces so I read, blink a few times and move on... But I did paint this word picture some years ago. Picture a canyon with a house and barn and corrals up a side canyon about an hour and a half beyond BM. My son had recently left for Americorp.
Call it, Beyond BM
In the evening after chores I walked out to feed the horses. There was three inches of new snow on the ground. The dogs followed me, jumping about in the crisp cold, excited to attend to feeding with me. The full moon lit the ground and trees with a bright and holy light. There was no sound aside from the squeak of new snow under my boots. I turned on the floodlight at the catchpen. The horses ran out of the darkness into the light, steam blowing from their nostrils. I opened a bale of hay and tossed flakes into the catchpen. I stood to watch, turning off the floodlight. I stood in the moonlight as the animals moved and jostled each other while they fed. Behind me the house lights were lit. The sharp smell of pinyon smoke told my wife had built a fire. The girls would be chattering about their day. Behind me three thousand miles, my son made his way through the December night. Somewhere in far off Tennessee he was young and on his own.

I stood, feet slightly apart, my hands in my jacket pockets, looking ahead into the corral. I reached for my collar to turn it up against the chill. Making that motion took me back thirty years, when I made that same motion, young and on my own, turning up the collar of my peacoat against the cold Atlantic night. It was a December full moon like tonight. I stood watch on the starboard wing of a Navy destroyer cutting through the icy winter ocean. My chest could feel the weight of the heavy binoculars I wore so many years before.

I thought about the years as I stood watching the horses eat, the golden lights of my home behind me. I thought about that young man standing watch on a small ship in the vast ocean. He dreamed that one day he would stand in the snowy mountains, his family snug in their warm home while he watched his horses feed in the clear crisp light of a full moon.

As I stood the ground nearly began to roll, so clearly did the memory of thirty years ago come back to me.

The moon went behind the canyon wall. The darkness deepened and grew close around me. I turned to return to my home, wrapped in the silent and holy night. The stars like brilliant diamonds glittered above.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:30 pm

black rock ric wrote:buy a VW bus, move to Manteca and grow organic produce on your pied a terre. That be the cowboy way. Ya'll jess might find a Siddharthic peace within ya'lls oversophisticated lives..
ric...i agree with your destination. actually, scratch that. it's not a destination, it's a journey. i also agree that that path you've outlined above can be ONE way of taking that journey.

i also know a number of people who chose that method (on the road, or off-the-land) for whom it was a terrible fit.

i would posit that one can uncomplicate one's life in ANY situation, if one chooses to do so. it may be easier (for some) to do so on one's li'l pied a terre, but i don't think it's a precondition.

"uncomplicated" comes from a mindset, not a location.

(and, btw, triple-word-score points to BRR for phrase "siddharthic peace.")

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:59 pm

BRR,

you are newer than I here on eplaya. ( that is if you are not a sock to which I smell a big smelly one here.) however, I too have posted on eplaya describing BM as Siddharthic. well it was for me many years ago when it had a much smaller crowd. I have not gone of recent so I guess I really have no idea what it's like now. that should change this year.

So if I missunderstood you (and I'm sure I did not, even though it seems like I may have, I've given many indications that I do understand.) my point seems still to be missed.

would you like to try and stretch the chain a little further? (chains dont stretch just in case you did'nt know Mr. Proffessor unless they are maid of other than metal.) because to me you seem to want to impress. I'm not impressed.

stuart

Post by stuart » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:01 pm

aren't from here, and really aren't wanted
this reminds me of someone

oh, and if'n yer going to be critical of peoples prose, might I suggest to you that 'turned to return home' is pretty damned clunky.

stuart

Post by stuart » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:03 pm

sorry, that was
turned to return to my home

Apollonaris Zeus

I once went beyond the Black Rock, in the Forbidden Zone,...

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:11 pm

and found-

another Black Rock!

I got really scared and returned!

A II Z

Last Real Burner

FYI...

Post by Last Real Burner » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:40 pm

BRR...

That's the same exact scene we see when we're at Burning Man, except for the house, the dogs, the snow, the horses, the smelly fire, and stuff.

continually,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

s

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:42 pm

"Maid" of something?

Stuart that is why editors are handy, thanks,, any other clunkers? Now was I critical of a specific person,, I don think so... But there is a tendency for overblown flowsy prose to appear in these postings,, sort of a Victorian Baroque..

Smelly sock business intrigues me, ya'll talk much about sock puppets, but alas, us simple siddarthic buckaroos dunno eggsactly what you mean. So I suppose DVD rather than use techno urban jargo, why don't you state exactly what you are attempting to imply, and even perhaps ask a question. I must say that it is quite a stretch to apply Siddarthic ferryman qualities to a mass group of anyone not wearing orange.

DVD you still seem to be under the impression I am a professor or Phd,, ? correct me if I am wrong,,, Stuart loves too.. I do have a degree, I may be Northern Washoe County's leading authority on British Imperial History,, wonderful thing that GI bill. But my money job is much more prosaic, in fact next week I will have to go down to Vegas for a couple of weeks to refill the kitty. I do try to avoid thumping heads though. Catching my "clients" asleep in bed, or drunk leaving bars is not so heroic, but I figure I will live longer..

Silver

Post by Silver » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:35 pm

Ah, Ric, you made the claim on March 3rd.
Well boys, it has been a hoot, but it is time to ride off into the sunset. I got some good information from some of you and learned a lot about the motivations of Burning man attendees from most of you. I have heard of Burning Man attendees referred to as "cultists" as " deranged hippies" " as "satanists", but ya'll just be plain folks, just a bit more defensive than most, use a lot of bad words too. It is true, that we have little in common. You find pleasure in the company of 30,000 people, I would rather stake myself over hot coals. You won't see me at Burning Man in 2004, but I will see you. Hasta

Better be organizing about the power plant, those few of you who care.

Oh, I am an Anthropology professor at one of Northern Califonia's State Universities, doing a longitudinal study on Burning Man,, thanks for the humor and insight.
Publish or Perish lads.
This is one of those little things that you do that inclines me to think that you are completely full of shit, or seriously unstable. I started out with the former but am now inclined to the latter.

All but three of the photographs you posted could have been taken within 30 miles of my parents home in El Paso (population 700,000+/-) and you would only have to go that far to find a desert stream (note: much less sage and a whole lot more yucca and mesquite). You would have to go about another 100 miles or so to find wild horses, in the same distance and in the same general area you can find a largish salt flat that floods and as far as I know there are no aspens in Texas or southern New Mexico. I love the desert and I find it beautiiful but is it rare, no, does it require that no one be within 200 miles, no does it matter that a bunch of weirdos are having a party 10 - 20 miles away, I don't see why. Or is it that we are actually having a good time and you are shoveling horse 'pucky'.

As for your back to the land er, stuff. It is grinding, backbreaking and it pays for shit; I'll pass thank you.
My grandfather tried to raise me as a Southern gentleman, that means that I can be a real SOB some of the time.

df

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:37 am

Dang Silver, and DVD, am I still yanking chains? Did you read the follow up posts? Where would I teach, Gerlach U? Dirt farming pays pretty good, Me mum drives a Lexus, me bro has a new Ford pickup and a new Honda Pilot... Most of the farmers down home lean over the hoods of their new diesel 4x4's watching the Mexican laborers cutting celery. Even the Mexican laborers drive new cars, the average wage in the fields is $15.00 per hour. I find a day of ranch or farm work easier than a day of typing in front of a computer.

We looked at land in south New Mexico.. Nice place,, great trees, hills,,, too many people... too close to Texans,, Poor New Mexico,, so far from God, so close to Texas. Ruidoso? are there any New Mexicans left there? Course one could say the same about Nevada, Poor Nevada, so far from God, so close to California. There is no grander hiking country than the Sierra Nevada. Last summer I backpacked into what I thought would be an empty gorge near the headwaters of one of the major rivers, I ran into 15 people. In the Nevada wilderness I seldom see anyone in weeks and weeks of wandering.. Being a misanthrope, doesn't necessarily mean being a misogyinist, I know I likely mispelled that Stuart...
Now admit it boys, my threads are more interesting to read and to respond to than most... If everyone agrees you might as well be Rush Limbaugh's Dittoheads. Silver, you left the West to move to the East, do you know what a statistical anomaly that is.. Wish more people would follow you. Final Texas Joke,, If Bullshit were white, more Texans would ski.

Return to “Open Discussion”