Eplaya Movie Review Thread...

All things outside of Burning Man.
Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:43 pm

well if he left for LA and ended up this far north, he's too stupid to live anyway.

does it help that i'm vegetarian?

too bad my dinner guests are not.

the real question is, between Ryan Jackson and Rian Jackson, which is the evil personification? Mwuhahahahahaa..............

P.S. please tell your other cousins to eat more. I had to make too many side dishes.
surlier than thou

chickenfish

Post by chickenfish » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:45 pm

Chickenfish are not know for there intellect, especially dear cousin ish. I always knew he would wind up on someones dish. Maybe my aunt gretta should have given him a better name...
chickenfish chickenfish you are not a pelican
chickenfish chickenfish your love is like a flea
chickenfish chickenfish your fins are so delicate
chickenfish chickenfish chicken of the sea

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:50 pm

Rian Jackson wrote: does it help that i'm vegetarian?

too bad my dinner guests are not.
Served with white or red wine? Or is Chickenfish a beer sort of dish?

chickenfish

Post by chickenfish » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:52 pm

I hearby am steering this thread back to movie reviewin'
saw Hedwig and the angry inch last night- great flick has some incredibly funny moments in it- I kept think -we should have shown this at the drive in.....sing alongs and all- it would make a great late night playa film
chickenfish

chickenfish

Post by chickenfish » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:53 pm

chickenfish:
best served with vodka gimlets or yagerbombs, your choice

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:55 pm

Heard great things about Hedwig. Unfortunately when I saw it with my then boyfriend, now fiance, he wasn't into it. Too raw and indie for him I suppose. So whatever reaction I may have had has been wet blanketed.

chickenfish

Post by chickenfish » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:58 pm

Thats funny, I wasn't too into it the first time, but my girlfriend, now fiance, was, and on the second viewing it rocked and had me rolling with laughter at times.

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:54 am

I haven't seen it yet, (but that's probably because I don't have a girlfriend/fiance/other) so I don't have an informed opinion... but since having an informed opinion doesn't seem to really matter on the ePlaya let me say this:

I loved it! It was touching and moving, and at the same time, oddly comforting. I liked the car chase through San Francisco, and the part where they blew up the train in the desert. When, at the end, the king had him tortured and killed, and he cried out (even though his diaphram had been ripped out of his body) "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!" I almost broke down and cried.

The credits were good, too...

Maybe I'll check it out this weekend... I've really got myself all excited, now. I like car chases.
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:56 am

And didn't Ryan Jackson used to pitch for the Dodger's?
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer

Lostfolio

Post by Lostfolio » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:09 am

OK, two movies that, although have nothing to do with BM, somehow remind me of it:

The first is called "The Quiet Earth". It's an Aussie film about a guy who wakes up and he's the only peorson left on Earth. Think of it as a kind of thinking person's "Night of the Comet". Anyway, it's real good.

The next is "Local Hero", a Scottish movie starring Peter Riegert as a man from Texas sent to a small fishing village in Scottland by his giant oil company. This is a sweet, beautiful movie.
Love pussy, hate Bush

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:38 am

Local Hero is one of my all time 'gems'. Mark Knofler's music pretty much makes the magic of the movie come alive... that and Jenny Seagrave's eyes.

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:56 am

Bubba Ho-Tep....

ok, so you might not learn a lot, but it's still worth it.
surlier than thou

orangepeelmoses

fav flicks

Post by orangepeelmoses » Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:11 am

eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

(charlie kaufman's new one).

opm

Jesus was an alien ReMiX

cowboyangel

Re: fav flicks

Post by cowboyangel » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:38 am

orangepeelmoses wrote:eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

(charlie kaufman's new one).

opm

Jesus was an alien ReMiX
yeah almost forgot that one. Carey ought to get an Oscar for that performance
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

Force

Post by Force » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:02 am

mmmm, thanks, lostfolio, that's now on my "to see" list.

One of my fantasies is to somehow end up in a world where there are FAR less annoying assholes in it... I would put in my sig "I love people, but godDAMN they annoy the fuck outta me sometimes" but it's just too negative.

I'm trying to adjust myself to a buddha-like amusement at their stupidity, but it ain't easy when their stupidity keeps affecting the quality of my life...

Now that I'm married, I have an obligation to at least one person to not turn into an annoying cranky old fucker who incessantly complains about stupid people- at least unless I can do so entertainingly like George Carlin...

Back to the movie reviews- "The bourne SUPREMACY" (the new one) is adequate, more of the same, but without the freshness of discovering what this highly-trained human is capable of, and without the mystery of what's been done to him.

In other words, if you have to have a Bourne fix, it'll work, but of course the first one was far superior.

And a big fucking "HELLO WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU THINKING" to Hollywood; you're not fucking fooling anyone with that "shakycam" crap that you SAY is supposed to convey a sense of panic or violence or manic or whatever- I saw the preview of the fight scenes, and they were so badly choreographed and obviously fake that I took them to be just the practice runs for what ended up in the movie, sadly that was not the case, apparently those were what ended up in the movie and also apparently the only way to "fix" them was to subject them to that "shakycam" crap that makes the scene a) blurry as fuck and b) almost unwatchable.

Take a little pride in your work, will you please?

Last Real Burner

............Popcorn Night.........

Post by Last Real Burner » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:08 am

I saw a small indy movie last night that was the best band road movie I have ever seen. It is called "Festival Express" what and awesome move, it had the "the band", "the dead", janis joplin, Sha Na Na, and so many others. It all takes place on the train in canada that is rented to ferry all these supergroups between the shows. It just turns in to one big 24 hour party train kinda like a burningman thingy with all night jam sessons. At one point they make an emergency stop in front of a liqour store. I have never ever seen Janis so amazing, you could see why she became such a superstar (if she were alive today see would definately be a burner!). The promoter saw that he was going to get completely hosed on the festival, but refused to pull the plug, he said simply "Oh well, what the fuck. Let's party." (the canadians fans thought the festival should be free so they protested the event and refused to pay and thousands snuck in). By the last show everybody is playing on everybody's set it absolutely amazing music. Never before seen footage of all these great bands playing great music and having a shitload of fun and you feel like your there with them.

8+ out of 10

critically,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

Last Real Burner

.....Sites....you think not of my going, but my coming...

Post by Last Real Burner » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:41 am

Here's a real review.

http://www.canoe.ca/JamMoviesReviewsF/f ... s-sun.html

adjustingly,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

Wind_Borne

Manchurian Candidate

Post by Wind_Borne » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:22 am

The just released version 2.0 of The Manchurian Candidate, with Denzel Washington, tells a good story with flair and skill. But the original Manchurian Candidate, with Frank Sinatra, was flat out brilliant. If you've already seen the new version, go rent the 1963 version. If you have not yet seen the new film, watch the original first. Trust me on this... The absolute most intense and suspensful 20 minutes ever crafted in the entire history of film making take place during the climax of the original Manchurian Candidate.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
-- George Washington

Last Real Burner

....Lights, Camera, Smile...........

Post by Last Real Burner » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:03 pm

Yeah, WB I saw the new one at the DGA here in Hollywood. It was ok, glad it was free. I have yet to see the original.

once morely,
mr smith

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:40 pm

saw The Village last night......the village idiot reminded me of someone...now let me see..............................................................................................
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:30 am

checked out "OutFoxed" last night....it's amazing how the crap known as "Fox News" actually got where it is......the republicans eliminated the fairness docrtine in FCC rules during the Clinton years and I imagine that helped....oh, so sorry, fair and balanced...right..
Good film...Joe Bob says check it out..... 500 'shut ups' 347 'some people say' 39 appearances by phoney sun tan O'Reilly......you won't know whether to laugh or cry

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:55 am

cowboyangel wrote:checked out "OutFoxed" last night....it's amazing how the crap known as "Fox News" actually got where it is......the republicans eliminated the fairness docrtine in FCC rules during the Clinton years and I imagine that helped....oh, so sorry, fair and balanced...right..
Good film...Joe Bob says check it out..... 500 'shut ups' 347 'some people say' 39 appearances by phoney sun tan O'Reilly......you won't know whether to laugh or cry
you laugh, you cry, you kiss the admission ticket money goodbye...

souldancer

Post by souldancer » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:22 am

Has anyone seen "The Sea is Watching"? Man, what a good movie. It's a Japanese film, so make sure you're in the mood for subtitles. But definitely worth it.

Also, I second (or third) the vote for "Oh Brother Where Art Thou". We own that movie, and watch it almost once a week, without getting sick of it. Makes me laugh every time. And I find myself quoting it often.

"Death to Smoochy". I get a lot of mixed reviews about this one, but I find it absolutely hilarious all the way around. It's fun to go from Edward Nortons character in "Fight Club" (another outstanding movie) to his in this one. And Robin Williams is hilarious.

"Big Fish" I loved this film. And I don't care what anyone else says. It's fantastic.

So I guess for now...those get my votes.
Music is food for the soul

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:37 am

I suspect it's the sentimental, lonely old man in me, but Lost In Translation won me over. It is the best thing I have ever seen Bill Murray do. It just edges out Rushmore

While we are near to Scarlett Johanson, The Girl With The Pearl Earing is as beautifully photographed as Kurosawa's Dreams, or, for that matter, a Vermeer painting, but is as deadly dull as an afternoon at the DMV. On the whole, watch it, but try not to fall asleep.

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:38 am

a must see
"What the Bleep Do We Know?

just see it and take the blue pill and go as far down the rabbit hole as you can stand

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:59 pm

oops...take the blue pill to maintain the illusion...take the red pill to experience "reality"

waltsnipe

Nicholas Roeg, I think

Post by waltsnipe » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:23 pm

The old Australian film Walkabout is apropos of the Burning Man experience.......the whole "visionquest in the desert" thing. Plus, you get to see the sumptuous Jenny Agutter (she of Logan's Run later on).

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:01 pm

What Waltsnipe said... Jenny Aguter was a treat... love to see her at the Man...

waltsnipe

Post by waltsnipe » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:23 am

Then there's her naked shower scene in American Werewolf in London.....

Donita

Post by Donita » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:41 pm

"Hedwig & the Angry Inch"
A rock musical

:P

Return to “Open Discussion”