Eplaya Movie Review Thread...

All things outside of Burning Man.
mullethunter

eplaya movie review thread

Post by mullethunter » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:02 pm

actually... i have to disagree with rob the wop on napoleon dynamite. i loved it! i thought it was fucking hilarious in a real subtle kind of way. really grows on you.

i also loved the royal tanenbaums (sp?), for the same reason. i think bill murray is a comic genius.

imho, van helsing was a steaming pile of shite, and was actually painful to watch.
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."
-Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handy

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:43 pm

I'm glad I watched Van Helsing when and how I did: in the back of Kenny (my station wagon) with a handful of friends at a drive-in, during a torrential rain and thunderstorm. That was fun, and we didn't piss anyone off by loudly mocking it.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:14 am

It takes a lotta work to have that many monsters in a movie and STILL have it stink that bad!

The other night, TCM ran Forbidden Planet....And I had a sudden, overpowering desire to recreate Altair IV on-playa. Robots, theremins, Krell machinery, wacky 50's interior decorating, Anne Francis.....*sigh*
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:21 am

Whaddya mean, stink?? I thought that was an excellent movie... along the same lines as "History of the worlld part 1" or "Spaceballs"...

Sometimes a good Mel Brooks boffo comedy just hits the spot.

Oh, wait... it wasn't supposed to be a boffo comedy? Then why was it one??

We know you're wishin, that we'd go away,
but the Inquisition's here, and it's here to stay...

Hey, Torquemada, whaddya say?

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:55 am

A nice musical number between vampire-slayings would have helped immensely.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:28 pm

okay............
now a truly worthy piece is the latest Merchant of Venice with Al Pachino as Shylock and Jeremy Irons as Antonio....others in a superlative cast. This play is more layered than I thought and rendering it in movie form really helped that view along. Shakespeare was painfully aware of anti-Semitism and his Shylock character, though deeply flawed, manages to raise some disturbing questions around prejudice that apply to today as well. Doesn't seem like we've changed all that much since the 16th century.
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

Last Real Burner

War of the Worlds (or not)...

Post by Last Real Burner » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:28 pm

War of the Worlds sucked....
If you want to see a great movie rent the original. This movie is just anothor attempt to excise cash from you're pocket. This is not even worth a rental unless you are a special effects nut. The movie plays like he tookl a glancing look at the original and tried to recreate it from memory, with out a script, or a director. This movie starts with a bang and ends with a long wet fart. It's like Spielburg forgot to film the end of the movie and once realized he came up with an idea to do a voice over instead of shooting a real ending. The laugh of the movie is when Tom does some method acting crying while Dakota fanning and the kid who plays Tom's son look on in disbelief as he burst into tears on camera. sad. it's looks almost as stupid as the shots of him jumping around on the talk show the other day. I had such high hopes too..

critically,

the rebbi
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:02 pm

Evil Aliens are coming!

to Burning Man 2005!

Be there!

Fuch spielberg cuz he said he never do a movie about bad aliens, but he did a bad movie of aliens instead.

Can you tell me what was the original comic book series about four superheros that started it all?

AIIZ

Last Real Burner

Post by Last Real Burner » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:25 pm

~custard was eaten alive...~

Last Real Burner

Post by Last Real Burner » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:26 pm

~according to the reciepe...~

Driveway

Post by Driveway » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:09 am

I just saw the cinematic gem "National Treasure".

It baffles me how legitmate humans can produce something of this calibre and then sit back and claim to be 'really proud' of their acheivement.

HAAAAACCCCKKKKKKK******* PTHOOOIE!

I spit on this festering pile of filth.

"Geeze Driveway, if that is your real name; tell us how you really feel...jerk."
What is Driveway's Game?

rodent

Post by rodent » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:29 pm

Driveway wrote: I spit on this festering pile of filth.
Obviously you haven't seen AvP. I tried to get my money back after seeing that, and I had BORROWED IT!

Sticking knitting needles into your ear canals would have been a better use of an hour and a half.

(luckally, there will be "Serenity" when we get back from the playa)

---
rodent (putting the eek in geek)

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:36 am

Driveway wrote:I just saw the cinematic gem "National Treasure".

It baffles me how legitmate humans can produce something of this calibre and then sit back and claim to be 'really proud' of their acheivement.

"
I could barely pay attention to the film, distracted as I was by Mr. Cage's wighat. That's one kooky-lookin' skull varmint, says I.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

legzander

movies

Post by legzander » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:45 pm

my favorites so far this year in theaters were "melinda and melinda" and "crash"... both brilliant.

alex

Last Real Burner

Who knew.....

Post by Last Real Burner » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:45 pm

Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor in "Superman Returns"
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

Driveway

Post by Driveway » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:08 pm

finally saw The Life Aquatic.

God damn Mr Anderson makes a good movie.

THAT is work to be proud of.
What is Driveway's Game?

aforceforgood

Post by aforceforgood » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:58 am

Driveway, wht th fck?

The Life Aquatic? I watched that movie, didn't laugh once, and felt like I missed 10 minutes in the beginning that would have tied together why they made that movie.

Maybe I missed something, so please, what the hell was that movie about?

And if you'da looked here, I warned you about national treasure. I'm a Cage fan, but that movie blows.

As did War of the Worlds.

But maybe I just misunderstood the title. I went in expecting an epic battle of well, WORLDS- a no quarter, to the death struggle, and instead got a touchy-feely rewarmed pile of hollywood crap designed to appeal to baby boomer families.

Goddamm it was stupid.

Had to go rent "I Robot" to get my sci-fi jones taken care of. Now THAT was a good movie.

A future reality so well done that it feels like a period piece, like they just consulted the history books to see what 2030 looked like.

You don't even think: "Wow, good special effect" you more think: "the future looks pretty cool. I can't wait."

And isn't that a nice way to feel about the future?
Be the dime you seek.

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:57 am

aforceforgood wrote: Had to go rent "I Robot" to get my sci-fi jones taken care of. Now THAT was a good movie.
Ridley Scott got it MUCH righter with Blade Runner, IMHO. I. Robot was much truer to "I'm a Will Smith Vehicle" than to the book, not that rigid adhesion to the book makes a good film.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:34 am

And that's a Jen-OO--ine robot talking folks!!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:16 pm

WTF, steve? You think BladeRunner was better than I, Robot? Better source material, to be sure, but in the end nowhere near as good a film. I was remarkably impressed with Smith's performance in Robot. The dialogue was a little heavy-handed RE: the crux of the message, but altogether it was a thoroughly enjoyable film.

aforceforgood: if you're looking for a point in Aquatic, you've missed it.

This territory may have already been covered, but did anyone else enjoy Sideways as much as I did?
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

aforceforgood

Post by aforceforgood » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:55 am

robotland wrote:
aforceforgood wrote: Had to go rent "I Robot" to get my sci-fi jones taken care of. Now THAT was a good movie.
Ridley Scott got it MUCH righter with Blade Runner, IMHO. I. Robot was much truer to "I'm a Will Smith Vehicle" than to the book, not that rigid adhesion to the book makes a good film.
Not that I want to get into a debate, and we could compare sci-fi until we're blue in the face and never come to anything close to resembling agreement, but what qualifies "I Robot" as a vehicle?

Other than the fact that he starred in it?

I'm no great fan of his, but I think he did a really good job in it. His Will Smithness did get a bit strong at times, but overall good.

If anything, I think Alan Tudyk/Sonny stole the movie.

Visually beautiful, with good pacing, action sequences and exploration of the nature of consciousness and how evolving technology will become self-aware, and robot martial arts fight scenes, it was a foregone conclusion that I would love "I, Robot".

And I did. I'm just happy they didn't screw it up. It does my heart good to know that Hollywood can do justice to classics.
Be the dime you seek.

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:13 am

Ranger Genius wrote:WTF, steve? You think BladeRunner was better than I, Robot?

..I'll thank you not to associate me with the World Trade Federation. And YES, I do. I happened to ENJOY I, Robot (the movie), fan of robots (and Converse hightops) that I am....I just found the book to be more satisfying. Ridley Scott's greasy, cluttered, dystopian future more closely resembles the inside of MY head.

This territory may have already been covered, but did anyone else enjoy Sideways as much as I did?
Loved it. (always had a secret thing for Virginia Madsen.) Traffic at the little wineries in nearby Paw Paw, Michigan (or "Two Paws" to the locals) is WAY up. Pino and beef jerky? Yee-HAW!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:36 am

Dear powers that be: since it appears that you have discovered the box office potential of Dr. Asimov's fiction works, which are multitudinous, please find it in your hearts to make a series of quality films from the Foundation trilogy. Kindly disregard the other books in the series.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:40 am

Omigosh, there's TWO towns named Paw Paw in the universe?
(Paw Paw, WV, four churches, one store, one restaraunt and no schools).

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:52 am

Ranger Genius wrote:Dear powers that be: since it appears that you have discovered the box office potential of Dr. Asimov's fiction works, which are multitudinous, please find it in your hearts to make a series of quality films from the Foundation trilogy. Kindly disregard the other books in the series.
The future is filled with IDIOTS, apparently....If Robin Williams DID have an "off" switch, wouldn't YOU use it?
Howdy From Kalamazoo

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:58 am

AntiM wrote:Omigosh, there's TWO towns named Paw Paw in the universe?
(Paw Paw, WV, four churches, one store, one restaraunt and no schools).
I think there's a KALAMAZOO, West Virginia, too.....I found listings for Kazoo in four states- Michigan, Florida, and two others that I've since forgotten.
Two Paws is a glorified four-way stop, but it DOES have wineries. And a good flea market.
The great thing about Michigan is that you can achieve Climax by driving East a short distance.....Or you can pass through Colon. And Detroit is actually BEYOND Hell!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:10 pm

"March of the Penguins" Yes Yes and Yes.
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Re: Eplaya Movie Review Thread...

Post by MyDearFriend » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:39 pm

No apologies for internet necromancy.

I want you to tell me what you've seen at the movies lately, so I can decide if it's worth dragging my ass to the theater.

I have been to the movies in recent years, and I'm a yes on the raving Tolkien fandom, but nothing else has made an impression on me since District 9.

Anything interesting out there?
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:52 pm

The last movie I "saw" was The Huntsman. I went with some people who are blind or very low visioned. I wore a blindfold and had the audio description device. It was pretty interesting to listen to a movie. The movie was alright not overly good but the blindfold made it feel like I really had to pay attention more.

8)
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:46 am

Wow Lucky. That is all new to me. Sounds very interesting. (No pun intended.) The closest I've come is a few rounds of 'Blind Date' at a party recently.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “Open Discussion”