Eplaya Movie Review Thread...

All things outside of Burning Man.
Force

Post by Force » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:43 am

Oh, and also- the acting may be stilted and wooden (especially that one guy. hoo-boy! He must have some dirt on someone in hollywood to keep getting parts...) and the plot basically action-driven, but I just can't get enough of "bullet-time".

"The One" with Jet Li was cool.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:45 am

robotland wrote: Withnail and I
Brillient. And it has an IcyHot scene. Plus that chicken.

Ranger Genius

Brazil, and my top five films ever.

Post by Ranger Genius » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:27 am

They showed Brazil on network TV once. They edited out all the dream sequences, and stopped at the point where it seems a happy ending...before you see him in the chair. Beauty, eh?

The list is unsolicited, but here's my top five. If you've never seen them, do it. (no particular order, they're all tied for #1)

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
The Big Kahuna
O Brother, Where art Thou?
The Magic Christian.

(Note that I'm omitting the obvious ones like Monty Python and The Matrix). Does anyone have any recommendations for me based on this glimpse at my tastes?
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

anime

Post by Tiahaar » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:15 pm

For Nihon anime fans of same gender leanings: "Ai No Kusabi", a hard to find underground fan dvd of tragic jealousy and love, with an achingly beautiful Romeo/Juliet sort of ending. Gorgeous males!
Burning Man 2003-19; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

Last Real Burner

Oh Yeah!.... Well... Well,......Oh Yeah!!!.....

Post by Last Real Burner » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:54 pm

What's the difference between Anime and Manga? about three bucks?

inquisitivaly,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Re: Oh Yeah!.... Well... Well,......Oh Yeah!!!.....

Post by Tiahaar » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:51 pm

Last Real Burner wrote:What's the difference between Anime and Manga? about three bucks?

inquisitivaly,
mr smith
oh oh I know this one!!:

manga
n. In English, usually used to mean Japanese comic books.
Pronunciation "Mahn-gah"
Occasionally also used (even by the Japanese) to refer to animation. It is also the name of the anime company Manga Video, which is frequently shortened to just Manga in discussions.
See also: anime

anime
n. Animation in the style developed and commonly used in Japan since the 1950s.
Pronunciation Say "Annie-May".
Generally refers to the artistic style, but also a style of characterization and stories. Can also be used to describe comics and other still art drawn in the same style, though manga is more commonly used for that meaning. Comes from the Japanese word for animation. Used by some people to refer specifically and exclusively to animation produced in Japan, regardless of style.
See also: manga

From this anime reference site: http://reference.animeworld.com/glossary/

So...six of one, half dozen of the other. Great T-shirt: YAY YAOI : )

and also: Nihonjin kareshi boshu-chu!
Burning Man 2003-19; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

Force

Re: Brazil, and my top five films ever.

Post by Force » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:18 am

Ranger Genius wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations for me based on this glimpse at my tastes?
Yeah, "Where the buffalo roam" starring Bill Murray as Hunter S. Thompson. Funny as hell. Don't look for it to be accurate to the book Fear and Loathing and you should enjoy the heck out of it.

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:05 am

"The Ruling Class", starring Peter O'Toole as a British aristocrat (who thinks he's Christ.)

"Head", starring the Monkees with Victor Mature, Frank Zappa and numerous other walkons.....the theme song is my fave Monkees tune, recently reutilized in "Vanilla Sky".

"URGH! A Music War!" starring almost the entire New Wave music pantheon, with a notably wacky performance by the late Klaus Nomi and Gary Numan in a silly little electric cart.

"Watership Down" starring the voices of John Hurt and some other well-piped Brits and featuring a VERY sugary song by Art Garfunkel BUT very prettily animated.

"Allegro Non Troppo", by Italian animator Bruno Bozetto- A parody of Fantasia (!) with some BRILLIANTLY FUNNY segments, notably a March of Evolution set to Ravel's "Bolero".
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Rusted Iron

Who can go wrong with violins, opera, and death?

Post by Rusted Iron » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:35 am

The Red Violin.

Diva, (subtitled, not redubbed).

In a lighter vein; Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.

On the lightest possible vein; Chicken Run.

Speaking of veins, or rather arteries, the best vampire movie, perhaps the only good vampire movie; Innocent Blood.

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:04 am

I'm a big fan of Lock, Stock, and two Smoking Barrels, and just recently got it on DVD.

I actually liked From Dusk 'Til Dawn, but mostly because of that point in the middle where you're suddenly asking yourself "Wait a minute! Who changed the fucking channel?"

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll seek them out. In return, may I recommend The City of Lost Children, and Penn & Teller Get Killed?
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:52 am

I smile just thinking about Ron Perlman in City of Lost Children. A Gallic Popeye!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Force

Post by Force » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:49 am

Ranger Genius wrote:I actually liked From Dusk 'Til Dawn, but mostly because of that point in the middle where you're suddenly asking yourself "Wait a minute! Who changed the fucking channel?"
Heh, yeah, that's kind of like the moment in "The Fifth Element" (a visual stunner of a movie, absolutely beautiful, but marred by a comic-book plot) about 5 minutes in, where it seems like you've got a completely different vision on your hands compared to the crap hollywood keeps churning out, the mood is there, you're grooving on it and then they cut to a bad low-budget recreation of the star wars bridge scene with a guy wearing some kinda spaz goggles who has wires stuck all over his head in a hackneyed attempt to appear "spacey".

I actually heard the vinyl-record scratch sound in my head, that vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvttt! sound. I was soo disappointed. Still dug parts though, like the taxi-chase.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:06 am

Do you ever think that Hollywood hegenomy is just about the worst thing that happened to movies?

robotland

Post by robotland » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:58 am

I don't remember that one.....who was in it?
Howdy From Kalamazoo

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:17 pm

That was that one that Tom Bruce Schwarzentencager was in.

I didn't care for it
"Allegro Non Troppo", by Italian animator Bruno Bozetto- A parody of Fantasia (!) with some BRILLIANTLY FUNNY segments, notably a March of Evolution set to Ravel's "Bolero".
That, and Dvorak's Dance number. Cracked me up. Where is that available, by the way...?

sam
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon May 03, 2004 11:02 am

samtzu wrote:That was that one that Tom Bruce Schwarzentencager was in.

I didn't care for it
You're forgetting the sequels. All 30 dozen of them.

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Mon May 03, 2004 1:39 pm

And then there was the ill-concieved crossover: "Hollywood Hegemony vs. Gozilla."

SilkenTofu
Location: in a cold case in the healthfood eisle at your local grocery store

Post by SilkenTofu » Mon May 03, 2004 3:47 pm

Speaking of veins, or rather arteries, the best vampire movie, perhaps the only good vampire movie; Innocent Blood.
I dunno, ever seen the Hunger? Catherine Denuve and David Bowie as two of the most beautiful vamps around.
I am a bit tied up at the moment...but if you leave your name and number.....

Last Real Burner

Lions and Tigers and Bears Oh My...

Post by Last Real Burner » Wed May 12, 2004 9:59 pm

Went to see Van Helsink. Really stupid plot, plodding explosive special effects. (At some point you just want it all to stop). Kate Beckensail is beautiful but her acting is so cliche that when she dies there was a round of applause, with someone shouting "Let's hope she doesn't come back!"

Conclusion: Stay away wait till it comes out on video.

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu May 13, 2004 5:57 am

.....why can't I buy a Van Helsing Famous Monsters-themed Happy Meal yet? C'mon, Hollywood!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu May 13, 2004 6:57 am

So are "Fritz the Cat" and "Wizards" as good as I remember, or is that the 70's talking? Shit, I think I may have a copy of Wizards, time to go sort the tapes.

And my secret shame: I love Phantom of the Paradise. I even, gasp, blush, have the soundtrack. And I listen to it.

Anti M

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Thu May 13, 2004 7:24 am

Oh man...

I forgot all about Wizards. Really enjoyed that one.

Jeez... now I gotta go digging too.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Thu May 13, 2004 9:09 am

Oh, I guess there IS something worse than Werewolves on Wheels. Fucking Phantom of the Paradise. <shudder>

midgetsonparade

Post by midgetsonparade » Thu May 13, 2004 10:13 am

Ranger Genius wrote:Oh, I guess there IS something worse than Werewolves on Wheels. Fucking Phantom of the Paradise. <shudder>
I think I can top all of them...Van Hielsing!

SilkenTofu
Location: in a cold case in the healthfood eisle at your local grocery store

Post by SilkenTofu » Fri May 14, 2004 7:28 am

Oh, I guess there IS something worse than Werewolves on Wheels. Fucking Phantom of the Paradise. <shudder>
but the soundtrack makes up for the movie....doesn't it??
I am a bit tied up at the moment...but if you leave your name and number.....

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Mon May 17, 2004 12:48 pm

That depends. Does "Makes up for" equate to "surpasses in its superlative vileness?" If so, yes. I wonder why Anti-M didn't mention that she has Phantom on LaserDisc? Ashamed, perhaps?
From SLC Punk:
"It looks like a silver record, but it's not a silver record! Dere's a Mooovie on Dere!"

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon May 17, 2004 12:54 pm

Then there are those embarresingly bland what movies like Kiss V. the Phantom of the Park.

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Mon May 17, 2004 1:46 pm

[deep voice guy]

Sunday!! Sunday!!! Sunday!!!!

This sunday, for one night only!

Come and witness the ultimate combat between good and
....what am I talking about?

Between Mediocrity and Putrescence!

It's Kiss Vs the Phantom of....
aw screw this shit.

I'm gonna go find myself a real job.
[/deep voice guy]

ronski

!

Post by ronski » Mon May 17, 2004 2:11 pm

--------------------------------------
Ash Taking On Freddy And Jason?

Bruce Campbell, who played Ash in the Evil Dead horror films, told SCI
FI Wire that there is "some validity" to the rampant rumors about the
possibility of a movie that would pit his character against Freddy of A
Nightmare on Elm Street and Jason from the Friday the 13th franchise.
But Campbell added that nothing is imminent. "As I've been explaining to
people, this wouldn't be a movie where you could just make a phone call
and go, 'Let's do it,' and then it all happens," Campbell said in an
interview. "You've got three franchises."

Campbell added, "[That] means you have 17 lawyers, each going, 'Yeah,
look at my franchise. Yeah, look at my franchise.' So you have to get
past that. Then you have to get past the question of 'how will the
characters be treated?' What would you do with Ash? There's no way I'd
be in it if I lost. No way. The good guy has to win, especially in that
movie. You couldn't kill two whole franchises, but we could sure maim
them."
----------------------------------

I know that this thread is supposed to be for "good" movies, but then, I was with a group that braved a snowstorm to drive from Seattle to Tacoma to see the premier of Citzen Toxie: Toxic Avenger IV back in 2000....

Last Real Burner

Movie Review...

Post by Last Real Burner » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:24 am

Day After Tommorrow...

SUCKED MIDGET ASS

It started off as a action movie, and about 10 minutes in turned into mush. Another special effects ladened clunker. Plot holes so big you could drive a Frozen Hummer into them.

Scientist: Oh My Gawd, Don't Go to New York everyone there is gonna diiiieeeeeeee....

innocent onlooker: Where are you going. Mexico?

Scientist: No, New York.

After the freezing, wind, tornados, hurricanes, Tsunamis, and bad acting... you feel like someone just picked your pocket for $12.

I think the industry should have amoney back garuntee on these pieces of crap, send in your ticket stub and get your money back if you're not happy. That would put an end to the over hyped, bad movie syndrome.

cinematically,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

Return to “Open Discussion”