Eplaya Movie Review Thread...

All things outside of Burning Man.
Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:33 am

Wind_Borne wrote:
cowboyangel wrote: must be alot a folks out there who want to know the truth......
Truth? Hmm...

Fahrenheit 9/11. Battleship Potemkin. Triumph of the Will. Rhetorical masterpieces all; but truth?
here here...
Democrats... snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, daily!

slap my salmon, baby

Rob the Wop

Fahrenheit 9/11

Post by Rob the Wop » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:54 am

Just got done seeing Fahrenheit 9/11 this weekend. Pretty much what I expected. About 65% interesting, provable/disprovable data that I enjoyed. I tend to believe MM when he states a series of provable data, such as the ties between Saudi and Bush.

The other 35% was blatant opinions and emotional appeals. Interesting to see the lady that was very gung-ho about her son being in the Armed Forces, and the 180 degree change once her son was KIA.

Typical Moore. Interesting, informative in a way- but take the movie with a grain of salt. Listen to the provable facts (he tends not to make up 'facts'), and ignore the blatant emotionalism.
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:01 pm

Simply Joel wrote:
Wind_Borne wrote:
cowboyangel wrote: must be alot a folks out there who want to know the truth......
Truth? Hmm...

Fahrenheit 9/11. Battleship Potemkin. Triumph of the Will. Rhetorical masterpieces all; but truth?
here here...
triumph of the will was made for Hitler........more akin to Fox news(?) than Michael Moore......
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

Wind_Borne

Post by Wind_Borne » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:30 am

cowboyangel wrote: triumph of the will was made for Hitler........more akin to Fox news(?) than Michael Moore......
LOL.

I would caution, however, that equating patriotism to fascism clouds, rather than clarifies, political discourse. Conservatives, librerals, enviromentalists, feminists and many others have all been tarred with the Nazi brush. It's a cheap rhetorical device designed to shut down an opponent. But the humble and honest seeker of wisdom craves the open flow of all ideas.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
-- George Washington

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:53 am

Wind_Borne wrote:
cowboyangel wrote: triumph of the will was made for Hitler........more akin to Fox news(?) than Michael Moore......
LOL.

I would caution, however, that equating patriotism to fascism clouds, rather than clarifies, political discourse. Conservatives, librerals, enviromentalists, feminists and many others have all been tarred with the Nazi brush. It's a cheap rhetorical device designed to shut down an opponent. But the humble and honest seeker of wisdom craves the open flow of all ideas.
Goebels would be proud of Fox, Wind...otherwise , you're right
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

ebaynelson

Post by ebaynelson » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:05 am

Michael Moore's films are best when he keeps quiet and lets his subjects tell the story. Bush's speech to "the Haves, and the Have-More's" at his fundraisers. Ashcroft singing (perhaps the most surreal moment). Lila Lipscomb staring down the White House. The Oregon state troopers, assigning one man to the entire coastline. The Marine recruiters at work in Flint. The Iraqi mother whose invocations of Allah are finally provided in context, with a full translation of her frustration.

Moore can be obnoxious, but I love him for simply throwing hard punches from the left in a way that reaches the general public. Unlike, say, Air America.
[color=darkred]~~~
The solutions all are simple... But they're simple only when you know already what they are.

Robert M. Pirsig
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance[/color]

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:37 am

Wind_Borne wrote: I would caution, however, that equating patriotism to fascism clouds, rather than clarifies, political discourse. Conservatives, librerals, enviromentalists, feminists and many others have all been tarred with the Nazi brush. It's a cheap rhetorical device designed to shut down an opponent. But the humble and honest seeker of wisdom craves the open flow of all ideas.
Hate to tell you Wind but it is true. The Bush family did create Hitler. Look up Prescott Bush.
[url=http://www.digicastinternational.com][img]http://76.14.56.240/digiweb/button10.jpg[/img][/url]

"[i][b]The art is in the digit![/b][/i]"

[url=http://eplaya.burningman.com/search.php?search_author=THE+ORIGINAL+DIGIMAN]The Original Digiman[/url]

notthat1

Post by notthat1 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:08 pm

Just watched "City of God", whoa! If you havn't seen it, then do yourself a favor and go rent it. Funkin awesome movie :D .
Everyone has the opportunity for greatness, not fame, but greatness, for greatness only requires service--Martin Luther King Jr

Last Real Burner

One of those rare Diamonds.....

Post by Last Real Burner » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:17 am

Just had the good fortune to see the new movie "Spiderman 2" here is proof that great movies can still be made. A five star picture that still has goosebumps popping up on my arm. The Cast is astounding and I mean everybody even the extras and the one liners. And the scene where everyone stands in front of our downed hero when the menenincing Doc Ock, who could rip your heart out while taking off his glasses is totally heartwrenching and captivating scene. Rami you Rock.... When I grow up I wanna be like you.... Molina is the utmost shit you make me feel you're pain. Great actors Great Cinematography, Great Animation, Great Story, shit Great Love story. And those my friends are the key to a great and I mean great movie

cinematically,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

Last Real Burner

F.Y.I....

Post by Last Real Burner » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:22 am

I forgot to mention that Toby McGuire himself, in person, introduced the movie at the theater I went to. What an awesome and humble guy, what a great actor.

"Didn't I say Ditto before?"

remarkably,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:41 am

thanks mr. smith will check it out...btw how's your tv show doing?

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:27 pm

In many ways, it seems, comic books are today's mythologies: from "the Crow" to "Sandman" to the X-Men cycle to the Spiderman cycle. I am planing on seeing Spiderman 2 whenever I can scrap together the money!

Thanks for the review!
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:32 pm

soon in a theater near you, there will be a docu-drama on the life of Lydia

cowboyangel

I-Robot

Post by cowboyangel » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:34 pm

I-Robot is pretty good....message here for all GMO proponents.

Steven bradford

Post by Steven bradford » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:26 pm

After all, Asimov is dead, so who's to care if Hollywood uses his stories for toilet paper one more time? It doesn't seem that anyone involved read a single story, just borrowed the character names from a synopsis they were forwarded.
Steve

Paint or Be Painted
http://www.seanet.com/~bradford/Body_Painting_Technique.html

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:27 am

King Arthur was okay as an action-adventure-costume flick. But it's not really Kind Arthur without incest and adultary.

Unless it was to make some sort of point about those elements being from the Catholic/sin obsessed world view of Malory or something.

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:13 pm

It's Incest and Adultery that makes all the great movies! I mean, Look at Ben Hur, The Sound of Music, Lawrence of Arabia, Godfather III, The Muppets Take Manhatten, Pee Wee's Big Adventure!! These are all filled to the brim with Incest and Adultery...

Either that, or I'm reading something into them that isn't there...

Nawwww....
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer

chickenfish

Post by chickenfish » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:37 pm

All those incestuos and adulterous muppets
chickenfish chickenfish you are not a pelican
chickenfish chickenfish your love is like a flea
chickenfish chickenfish your fins are so delicate
chickenfish chickenfish chicken of the sea

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:47 pm

Well, who's hands were inside those muppets... and who's hands were making love to who's hands? There's alot more below the surface... and the Swedish Chef? What the hell was that all about!?
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer

chickenfish

there is a new swedish cyborg movie out called....

Post by chickenfish » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:50 pm

smorgasborg

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:55 pm

Gadsuntheit!

chickenfish

Post by chickenfish » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:00 pm

Thank you...:) :D

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:02 pm

samtzu wrote:It's Incest and Adultery that makes all the great movies! I mean, Look at Ben Hur, The Sound of Music, Lawrence of Arabia, Godfather III, The Muppets Take Manhatten, Pee Wee's Big Adventure!! These are all filled to the brim with Incest and Adultery...

Either that, or I'm reading something into them that isn't there...

Nawwww....
i tell you my family is inbred and you have to run all over the playa like it's a joke! is there no respect????

sorry, couldn't help it.
surlier than thou

chickenfish

Post by chickenfish » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:05 pm

What kind of bread are they in? Did you bake them in there?

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:09 pm

something with a lot of nuts.

chickenfish are not known for their spelling, are they?
surlier than thou

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:19 pm

Hey if you typed with fish fins and chicken talons, you might not spell so good either.

chickenfish

Post by chickenfish » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:23 pm

oh, the were in-bred....
as in my mothers my sister....
my condolences

chickenfish

Post by chickenfish » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:24 pm

but yes, cryptofish, being a far more puzzling fish than a chickenfish, is right to point out that it is very difficult to type with fins and talons....

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:35 pm

So would it disturb you to learn that i am typing with fins and talons? And that they are not part of my anatomy? You see, last time i met a chickenfish in a dark alley....
surlier than thou

chickenfish

Post by chickenfish » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:38 pm

I always wondered what happened to cousin ish, the chickenfish
he moved to LA to become a star, but now I know where you are
a typing slave for ryan jackson, the fiddler of the playa
are you wearing his skin like a glove?
oh my where is the love...