Drink Spiking (Getting Dosed) is Urban Myth

All things outside of Burning Man.
Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Drink Spiking (Getting Dosed) is Urban Myth

Post by Elderberry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:30 am

I just saw a new report on rape and getting drugged. According to this report, women report getting dosed as the reason they were raped. It has now been discovered that the majority, if not all of these cases, there was no GHB or any other date rape drug involved other than alchohol.

The reason girls report that they were 'drugged' is that it is easier for them to use this as an excuse than to actually admit to themselves that they allowed themselves to drink to the point of intoxication that allowed them to be compromised.

This is in no way excusing the fact that the women were raped, whether it be under the influence of alcohol or ghb. It just sheds additional light on the situation.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:33 am

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:39 am

What?!?! Women lying to make themselves feel better?!?

Who woulda thunk it?
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:17 am

Okay. "Urban Myth" is then a misnomer, because it does still happen.
Why do I care? Because I am a member of the Bureau of Erotic Discourse, an organization trying to provide sex-positive education about sexual assault in the burningman community as well as in the burner communities.
I fear that any number of people will read the title of this thread and conclude that there is no such thing as dosing, rather than its occurance is over-reported.
I'd also like to point out that there is at least one person on this board who was dosed, lost all memory of events on one particular night, almost certainly did not get raped, and perhaps she might feel afronted by the existance of a thread with this title.

And I hate, hate, hate having to step into my prissy school marm personna, so I ask that in future you strive for more accuracy when reporting thing of this nature.
Thank you
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:33 am

AHhhhhhhhh FUCK YOU - I hope You get dosed and someone fucks you In your Ass and takes pictures & posts them on the internet.... Then- 'They' can say that YOU asked for IT-'cause of your stupid comments & what you were wearing and that your a burner in your spare time -and because of your job. I can tell Your a Slut that needs some cock in your ASS just by your avatar- or maybe it's just an Urban Myth- that you have to be drugged or drunk.... Maybe you reallyyyyy just Want IT from 5 guys and want to pretend that your to fucked up to say NO! Come by our camp and maybe we can hook ya up!

NO MEANS FUCKING NO ANd SOmeone Passed OUT is NOT YES! Someone that YOU have drugged is NOt a YES- ASK and If the person is messed up keep asking- Is this alright -can I kiss you- Can I touch you there....

and then you won't have to worry about the person crying Rape a couple hours later.
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:39 am

There is a word that has to come up right now. It's missing from our society and I am going to say it. EMPATHY. If this word was understood and practiced by everyone, the world would be a better place.
Simply put, how would you feel is a mother, sister, brother, father, cousin, wife or friend were in the position that they could be violated because they were too drunk to know better. How would you feel if they were a victim of this kind of crime?
There is no need to recite the laws in this case, just think of EMPATHY and the answers are obvious.

This concludes my sermon and I will shut up now! Have a nice day!

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:48 am

Barbie wrote:AHhhhhhhhh FUCK YOU - I hope You get dosed and someone fucks you In your Ass and takes pictures & posts them on the internet.... Then- 'They' can say that YOU asked for IT-'cause of your stupid comments & what you were wearing and that your a burner in your spare time -and because of your job. I can tell Your a Slut that needs some cock in your ASS just by your avatar- or maybe it's just an Urban Myth- that you have to be drugged or drunk.... Maybe you reallyyyyy just Want IT from 5 guys and want to pretend that your to fucked up to say NO! Come by our camp and maybe we can hook ya up!

NO MEANS FUCKING NO ANd SOmeone Passed OUT is NOT YES! Someone that YOU have drugged is NOt a YES- ASK and If the person is messed up keep asking- Is this alright -can I kiss you- Can I touch you there....

and then you won't have to worry about the person crying Rape a couple hours later.
OH MY. What an irrational and inappropriate response this is. Time for the Midol, me thinks.

JK
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:50 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Okay. "Urban Myth" is then a misnomer, because it does still happen.
Why do I care? Because I am a member of the Bureau of Erotic Discourse, an organization trying to provide sex-positive education about sexual assault in the burningman community as well as in the burner communities.
I fear that any number of people will read the title of this thread and conclude that there is no such thing as dosing, rather than its occurance is over-reported.
I'd also like to point out that there is at least one person on this board who was dosed, lost all memory of events on one particular night, almost certainly did not get raped, and perhaps she might feel afronted by the existance of a thread with this title.

And I hate, hate, hate having to step into my prissy school marm personna, so I ask that in future you strive for more accuracy when reporting thing of this nature.
Thank you
Point taken. It does happen and under-reporting is probably more accurate than myth. I just copied the headline as I saw it on TV.

Also, this was not a study that had anything to do with Burning Man either.

JK
JK

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:55 am

Barbie wrote:AHhhhhhhhh FUCK YOU - I hope You get dosed and someone fucks you In your Ass and takes pictures & posts them on the internet.... Then- 'They' can say that YOU asked for IT-'cause of your stupid comments & what you were wearing and that your a burner in your spare time -and because of your job. I can tell Your a Slut that needs some cock in your ASS just by your avatar- or maybe it's just an Urban Myth- that you have to be drugged or drunk.... Maybe you reallyyyyy just Want IT from 5 guys and want to pretend that your to fucked up to say NO! Come by our camp and maybe we can hook ya up!

Oh and I think I'll add you to my ignore list too...no need to read your vial, ignorant and unbecomming posts. Barbie??? I don't think so.

JK
JK

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:13 pm

Barbie wrote:ASK and If the person is messed up keep asking- Is this alright -can I kiss you- Can I touch you there....

I think you underestimate the true lunacy of women...
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:19 pm

Oh, you saw it on the television?

Well, then, nevermind. It must be absolutely credible and true.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:19 pm

Fire_Moose wrote:
Barbie wrote:ASK and If the person is messed up keep asking- Is this alright -can I kiss you- Can I touch you there....

I think you underestimate the true lunacy of women...
LOL. But I really haven't found this to be the case with most women. And after that post, I suggest you put on your flack jacket and prepare for incoming!

JK
JK

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:27 pm

C.f.M. wrote:Oh, you saw it on the television?

Well, then, nevermind. It must be absolutely credible and true.
Hey, it wasn't like it was on Fox news or something. MSNBC--they set the standard for truth in reporting! ;)

JK

This study was reported in the British Journal of Criminality. Here's a newspaper link for those that need cites: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.htm ... page_id=34
JK

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:53 pm

You asked for IT! ANd you should take IT- It was the look in your avatar eyes & the way you posted and what you were wearing when you posted! SLUT! Pleassssssse add me to your ignore list! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:58 pm

I just copied the headline as I saw it on TV.
thats part of the problem john.

you just defined yourself as a dumb fucking tv fed automaton.

garbage in, garbage out.
Frida Be You & Me

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:51 pm

I am suprised he can change the channel with the remote in his other hand without missing a stroke or two.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:14 pm

There's an ignore list? Maybe that would explain it.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:25 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
I just copied the headline as I saw it on TV.
thats part of the problem john.

you just defined yourself as a dumb fucking tv fed automaton.

garbage in, garbage out.
I have since provided cites.

JK
JK

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:27 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:There's an ignore list? Maybe that would explain it.
Hell yes there is! And its discovery has made eplaya a much more pleasurable experience for me. ;)

JK
JK

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:31 pm

You should only get your news off the tv we're typing on.
You know, the tv hooked to the feed provided by the cable companies.
You know, the companies in the tv business.
They wouldn't lie to us, the people of radioland.

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Re: Drink Spiking (Getting Dosed) is Urban Myth

Post by Teo del Fuego » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:35 pm

jkisha wrote:This is in no way excusing the fact that the women were raped, whether it be under the influence of alcohol or ghb.
Barbie, I wonder if you missed this part.

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:00 pm

in some places, you can get hung for horse stealing.

in others, they shoot you if they find out you're an agent provacateur.

have fun flinging monkey poo kisha, see who it sticks to...

The New Models are made of teflon, so it's pretty pointless.

plonk.
Frida Be You & Me

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:01 pm

jkisha wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:There's an ignore list? Maybe that would explain it.
Hell yes there is! And its discovery has made eplaya a much more pleasurable experience for me. ;)

JK
It's gotta suck to have such a sanitized experience where everything is filtered so that no opposing / differing points of view ever make it to your screen.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:15 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:in some places, you can get hung for horse stealing.

in others, they shoot you if they find out you're an agent provacateur.

have fun flinging monkey poo kisha, see who it sticks to...

The New Models are made of teflon, so it's pretty pointless.

plonk.
jeez Simon, since when did you adopt that holier than thou attitude? You used to be the provocateur extraordinaire of eplaya, not to mention rude, crude and abrasive.

JK[/s]
JK

goathead

Post by goathead » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:42 pm

ygmir wrote:Image
have anymore?

wonder how many lashes they are going to give him?

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:08 pm

How about a beer too?
Seems appropriate.

I don't see anyone actually disagreeing so far.
Lot of angst.
Seems to have made some point or other.

dr.placebo
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Post by dr.placebo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:41 pm

I just read the article and am more than a little annoyed. The results were based on interviews, and concluded that women have an exaggerated estimate of the likelihood of being drugged and raped.

Note that there was nothing in the article that gave any cites or evidence that dosing actually did not happen. Shoddy reporting, at best.

What should NOT be assumed is that dosing has been shown to be an urban myth. The headline is deliberately misleading (typical editor idiocy). Even the first sentence starts to back off and says it's "largely" an urban myth. Then the rest of the article fails to back it up with anything but a summary of the survey results, which don't prove the absence of dosing at all.

I have seen too many reports by people I consider to be credible to think that dosing does not happen. Estimates of the frequency of dosing may be too high, but that is in line with a lot of estimates (and "common knowledge") around sexual assault and rape. For example, the fear is of strangers, but 73% of rape victims know their assailants (http://www.rainn.org/) .

I'm just going to repeat that alcohol is still a drug, and that nonconsensual sex is still rape, so even if the drug is usually just alcohol, we still have intoxicants used for rape, and it's still a crime.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:15 pm

(((((dr.placebo)))))
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:23 pm

Nope Taco del Fuego - I don't miss much, I'm not a natural blonde- I caught his disclaimer.

And as someone who has personally been drugged- Let ME be the first to tell ALL of you that IT does HAPPEN.

ANd To have the nerve to post something that says basically that I'm a liar and sooooooo are thousands of other women/men that this has happen to - IS FRICKING BULLSHIT GARBAGE!

sooooooo guess what...

ALL of this has given me a great Idea for a gift to our female and smaller male population- This year a Blackie's Bar & Grill Instead of pole dancing- I will be teaching self defense-

Showing little hotties how to put large men on the ground and step on their throat.

Sooooooo there ya GO Jkisha something positive has come out of your FRICKING BULLSHIT!!!!!!!

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:27 pm

Better yet, why don't you host a B.E.D. seminar ?

BTW, not all date rape is inclusive to females.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Return to “Open Discussion”