Drink Spiking (Getting Dosed) is Urban Myth

All things outside of Burning Man.
Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:38 pm

LOL. But I really haven't found this to be the case with most women. And after that post, I suggest you put on your flack jacket and prepare for incoming!
Dude, I gotta say that most of us are assholes on this board. It comes with the country.

But... any time 'LOL' or laughing at (or within) any discussion that draws attention to the subject of rape or other forms (or circumstances) related to non-consensual sex is, well, bullshit.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:38 pm

why only large men?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:50 pm

Funny.
I don't read all this stuff into his post.
Other than people tested in a hospital, are there any real statistics?
Do the police ever try to find out?

What I'm hearing is a lot of denial about what alcohol does.
The reaction is far more interesting than the original post.

I had a friend drink beer in a hurry and pass out.
I couldn't wake her up.
I was kind of worried she would stop breathing.

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:54 pm

ohhh ANd WHat Jkisha are you the bartender ( or friends with the bartender) that was working Sunday night over at Camp Revofuckinglution is that why you made this thread??????

And No I can teach ya how to put small people on the ground also... It's just that the large ones fall easier.

I'm not in denial of what booze can do to people-

But I'm SURE I was drugged- I use to be a professional drinker- someone who got paid to drink and still be able to maintain and function in 5 inch heels. In fact in the case of me being drugged it was the only thing that saved my Ass. Any other girl would have woke up hurting.

BElieve me when I tell you that there are people out there who prey on women & men. SO pay attention and don't get your drink from someone you don't know-

CAUSE IT IS NOT AN URBAN MYTH that people are Drugging others and anyone that thinks it is - is a stupid DUMB fuck who needs to be drugged and held down against there will just to prove it does happen.
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:01 pm

ok,
I was just wondering, being a "Don Knotts" clone, if I had to worry about being a "tackling dummy"...........

and no, I don't and wouldn't take advantage of anyone without informed consent on their parts........I think that's wrong..........

I was just wondering if I gotta watch where I walk..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Risky

Post by Risky » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:02 pm

jkisha wrote:Time for the Midol, me thinks.
You've been a bad boy. Go sit in the corner!

Apollonaris Zeus

Re: Drink Spiking (Getting Dosed) is Urban Myth

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:02 pm

jkisha wrote:I just saw a new report on rape and getting drugged. According to this report, women report getting dosed as the reason they were raped. It has now been discovered that the majority, if not all of these cases, there was no GHB or any other date rape drug involved other than alchohol.

The reason girls report that they were 'drugged' is that it is easier for them to use this as an excuse than to actually admit to themselves that they allowed themselves to drink to the point of intoxication that allowed them to be compromised.

This is in no way excusing the fact that the women were raped, whether it be under the influence of alcohol or ghb. It just sheds additional light on the situation.

JK
Honestly jkisha this really is not acceptable! I do think it's very insensitive to those that have been raped and drugged.

Is the truth behind this discussion is that you have been accused of date raping someone and want to vent it!

Really Jkisha you should do community service at a Rape Center!

Also this is the second time you have post this topic on Eplaya

AIIZ

dana

Post by dana » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:09 pm

Whacker, your post is a little off. You're defending a weak stance.

Its a hard drug to quantify because its not picked up in standard tox screens and it's rapidly metabolized (ie. it dissapears.) It's usually mixed with alcohol, so it's too easy to just label the intoxication as merely alcohol induced.

"The pharmacokinetics of gamma-hydroxybutyric acid (GHB) were studied in 10 alcohol dependent subjects after single and repeated therapeutic oral doses (25 mg kg-1 every 12 h for 7 days). 2. GHB was readily absorbed and rapidly eliminated (tmax = 20-45 min; mean t1/2z 27 +/- 5 s.d. min). Urinary recovery of unchanged GHB was negligible (less than 1% of the dose). gamma-butyrolactone was not detected in either plasma or urine, indicating that lactonization of GHB does not occur in vivo."

"GHB is rapidly absorbed after ingestion and takes 20-30 minutes to reach a maximal plasma concentration following the ingestion of a 12.5 mg/kg dose and 30-60 minutes with a dose of 50 mg/kg. Clinical effects become evident approximately 5-15 minutes post ingestion. The elimination half-life is 27 minutes and proceeds in a dose-dependent saturable manner. GHB is ultimately metabolized to CO2 and eliminated through the lungs."

I've been dosed. People caught doing that shit need some serious punishment.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:49 pm

Isotopia wrote:
LOL. But I really haven't found this to be the case with most women. And after that post, I suggest you put on your flack jacket and prepare for incoming!
Dude, I gotta say that most of us are assholes on this board. It comes with the country.

But... any time 'LOL' or laughing at (or within) any discussion that draws attention to the subject of rape or other forms (or circumstances) related to non-consensual sex is, well, bullshit.
That wasn't what my LOL was about. My "Personal" opinion on rape was stated at the end of my FIRST post.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:51 pm

Risky wrote:
jkisha wrote:Time for the Midol, me thinks.
You've been a bad boy. Go sit in the corner!
:) That remark was directed at Barbie--she deserved it. IMHO. I also know that she got really pissed at me when I told her to do that once before when she was equally rude and obnoxious; so I thought it had a few extra miles of aggrivation left in it. I won't have to worry about that any longer. ;)

JK
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Elderberry

Re: Drink Spiking (Getting Dosed) is Urban Myth

Post by Elderberry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:53 pm

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:
jkisha wrote:I just saw a new report on rape and getting drugged. According to this report, women report getting dosed as the reason they were raped. It has now been discovered that the majority, if not all of these cases, there was no GHB or any other date rape drug involved other than alchohol.

The reason girls report that they were 'drugged' is that it is easier for them to use this as an excuse than to actually admit to themselves that they allowed themselves to drink to the point of intoxication that allowed them to be compromised.

This is in no way excusing the fact that the women were raped, whether it be under the influence of alcohol or ghb. It just sheds additional light on the situation.

JK
Honestly jkisha this really is not acceptable! I do think it's very insensitive to those that have been raped and drugged.

Is the truth behind this discussion is that you have been accused of date raping someone and want to vent it!

Really Jkisha you should do community service at a Rape Center!

Also this is the second time you have post this topic on Eplaya

AIIZ
OH Paleeze, get a life. My personal opinion was clearly stated in the last line of my first post. all the rest was from a TV and newspaper report of a study that I wasn't about to pay to get a copy of to cite here. If you feel community service is in order, be my guest.

JK
JK

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:55 pm

gyre wrote:Funny.
I don't read all this stuff into his post.
Me either. Go figure.

JK
JK

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:01 pm

Kinetic V wrote:
jkisha wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:There's an ignore list? Maybe that would explain it.
Hell yes there is! And its discovery has made eplaya a much more pleasurable experience for me. ;)

JK
It's gotta suck to have such a sanitized experience where everything is filtered so that no opposing / differing points of view ever make it to your screen.
I don't mind differing points of view, what I don't like is rude inconsiderate rants and bull shit. I wouldn't want to carry on a conversation with a tea bagger or a dearther or a birther either.

JK
JK

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:14 am

What in the hell is a Dirther ?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:33 am

Kind of surprising here.

Most of us know JK, and know he would never condone rape
or any sort of violence.

Sure he kind of stepped in it with this thread, but the real question is
what are you going to do with the body once your done beating him?

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:40 am

Rape his face, rape it to death.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:55 am

gh--It shouldn't be a surprise to jk that this is a hot button issue. He posted in the Theme Camp Bar thread, after all. If all those capital letters didn't indicate that there's a lot of danger in the subject, then I gotta wonder what good they did anyone. Plus, he's not handling it well. He's probably be better off if he just took the flack, instead of criticizing and plonking. When I saw the subject line I was ready to take my pound of flesh, too. I think that it's not impossible that some people are going "How could I have nursed that snake in my bosom?" not "Hm. This is not the jk I know, what's going on?" I'd suggest just letting it die down. This thread, like any scab, is in no way improved by constantly poking at it.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:58 am

interesting, the reactions......:........

I've seen down's syndrome kids on posters here
calls to rape political candidates
bestiality
calls for killing people with opposing views
suggestions to harm police, or other officials
banning certain groups for their viewpoints

I'm sure there are many more "offensive" examples.......

with not nearly the acrid response you all offer here.

but, you all attack him.

He DID NOT condone or promote any sort of violence.
He DID NOT call anyone a liar

It seems he's touched a "hot button", but, really "so what"?
lots here do.....and, don't get nearly the "shredding" you're all giving JK........

WTF? is "radical inclusion" and "acceptance of all ideas and ideals" only if it's what you think or agree with?

Sure, castigate him if you think he's off base, but, suggesting harm or using such vitriolic language, towards someone who has added a lot to , and participated in, much of what goes on here, and on the playa.......

jeeze.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

goathead

Post by goathead » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:00 am

I think your right cryptofish, just always amazing how we can turn on and eat our own when they fuck up.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:04 am

I think it has a whole lot to do with his being someone who has been participating a lot on the board this year. Betrayal by a friend, even an e-friend, is a heavy blow. We can argue back and forth about the "reality" of this "betrayal," but it won't change the viseral reaction he's caused.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:09 am

visceral is a good word............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:01 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I think it has a whole lot to do with his being someone who has been participating a lot on the board this year. Betrayal by a friend, even an e-friend, is a heavy blow. We can argue back and forth about the "reality" of this "betrayal," but it won't change the viseral reaction he's caused.
Definately don't understand this post at all.

JK
JK

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:23 pm

Remind me never to start a thread unless it has to do with happy, fluffy, colorful things. If it's has a hint of contraversy, I made get my own testicles fed to me!

goathead

Post by goathead » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:31 pm

Breaded, with a little garlic, you might enjoy them.
:twisted:

thisisthatwhichis

Post by thisisthatwhichis » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:35 pm

jkisha wrote: Definately don't understand this post at all.

JK
Then you have a lot to learn, my friend...... 8)
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:40 pm

Shambala wrote:Remind me never to start a thread unless it has to do with happy, fluffy, colorful things. If it's has a hint of contraversy, I made get my own testicles fed to me!
A thread begun to discuss any issue, giving supporting f-a-c-t-s, statistics, etc., with ensuing refutation(s)/disagreements also based on facts, logic, etc. is one thing.

This As Seen on TV crap falls not under the headline of reasonable, intelligent discussion, hence the ensuing fallacies (appeal to ridicule, personal attack, etc.) and lack of actual discourse.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:12 pm

Wonder how a thread entitled Gay Bashing Urban Myth might have gone over. The body explains how there's been a study saying that most gays are bashing themselves, ala that woman who was beaten by "Obama" supporters and had B carved into her face.

And you better belive that there's nastier than that going on on computer boards across the nation with the yesterday's hate crimes legislation signing.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:34 pm

C.f.M. wrote:A thread begun to discuss any issue, giving supporting f-a-c-t-s, statistics, etc., with ensuing refutation(s)/disagreements also based on facts, logic, etc. is one thing.

This As Seen on TV crap falls not under the headline of reasonable, intelligent discussion, hence the ensuing fallacies (appeal to ridicule, personal attack, etc.) and lack of actual discourse.
I've just fallen madly in love with you, C.f.M.

djaded

Post by djaded » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:59 pm

JK, very weak. What exactly was the point of your post? This is my take on where you were going:
A) We should not believe females who claim to be drugged because date rape drugging is a myth.
B) Females lie about being drugged because they are ashamed that they were drunk and put themselves in harms way.

I just want to understand what you wanted to achieve with this post? Am I mistaken to say that your aim was to attack the credibility of female rape victims? Females in general? You should be ashamed of yourself.
It's those Swedes again....get the hose.

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:03 pm

I still want to know what a "dearther" is ?

jkisha wrote:I don't mind differing points of view, what I don't like is rude inconsiderate rants and bull shit. I wouldn't want to carry on a conversation with a tea bagger or a dearther or a birther either.

JK
Anyone ?

Bueller ?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Return to “Open Discussion”