Thank You, Veterans

All things outside of Burning Man.
Avacadi
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Thank You, Veterans

Postby Avacadi » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:43 am

I do not thank them enough.
Yesterday I was out with my friends and noticed an older gentlemen wearing a Vietnam hat and grew some balls and said that I was sorry for interrupting his meal but that I wanted to thank him for all he's done for our country and that his service is recognized. I asked him if I could give him a handshake and instead, HE stood up and gave me a hug. With tears in his eyes, I also started to cry. It was powerful.
His entire family then thanked me, and I realized that he probably didn't get enough thank yous as he should.
Thank you to all our veterans.
My heart is always bursting for everyone who has served.
MAYOR of ants

Cellar Door

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Postby EGAZ » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:54 pm

For the last decade we duners have been gathering in the sand in Glamis to commemorate our veterans. This year we had fly overs of three vintage planes/jets. We, as a group, say the Pledge of Allegiance, the National Anthem is sung. (NOBODY KNEELS! as it should be) and any vet that wants to can make a quick speech. At the end the flag is changed out for another year. Its lit by a solar light at night 365d/yr. It's a very moving event. This is a pic about 30mins before the start. It filled in to three times as many be start time.

Camp2 is at the bottom of this pic.
camp2 at vets2017.jpg

Here is were its at.
The Flag Pole

Vets Memorial event, Glamis CA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Perpetual Burn
Burning Since: 2015

Postby Perpetual Burn » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:01 pm

^^^All of this... and thanks ygmir for the heavy poetry...

Although I ain't the first to declare "war is a racket" and generally disapprove of these United States military history... but...

What comes as the most contradictory Truth in my experience...

Is that all my brothers that have been in The Suck are always the most humble, righteous, good hearted folks you'd like to have a beer with... I've heard enough to know what enough means, yet I love those guys as a brother. "Why?" Is not why... it's WHO!

I cannot doubt that my friends went into The Suck without a newfound utmost love for the brothers around them... and a new love for the ones they left behind in hopes they'd be able to see them again. There's no point in "Why?" in war, it always for who... and that's all of US.

"There are no atheists in the trenches."
Love brings us Home
Hope restores our soul
We Burn on the Playa of the
Black Rock Desert
& We fear no evil
for the Man is on our side
Surely Faith & Love will follow
All our Lives
& We will dwell in the house of Love
Forever

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Postby EGAZ » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:08 pm

Found another aerial shot.....

Sky View
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Return to “Open Discussion”