ePlaya Fitness Club

All things outside of Burning Man.
Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Re: ePlaya Fitness Club

Post by Savannah » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:41 pm

Have to get back on the post-Burn fitness horse like Wow. I've been managing about 2 workouts per week (2 hours of dance; 40 minutes of running) but that's about half the workout I need to look and feel the way I want to.

Monday - dance rehearsal; 48 min on recumbent bike
Tuesday - 4 mile walk

I need 2 more workouts this week . . .
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

gypsy68
Burning Since: 2004

Post by gypsy68 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:21 pm

Well I have made it a month with the new water aerobics instructors. She is very perky. Perky is hard at 6am.

I will say she pushes us pretty good. I actually feel like I am getting a work out.

Now if I would just stop walking by the recumbent bike and actually use it. (At least I have yet to use it as a clothes hanger) :roll:

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:58 pm

:D
Today’s New Year’s Day Walk on the pristine trails around Anderson Marsh was only its second year, but the leisurely hike is already a beloved tradition in Clearlake. Over 100 folks showed up, and they split about evenly between the 3.5 mile route and the 7 mile route.

Yours Truly went straight for the seven miles, of course. Also, a small elite group of us took off at a brisk pace, leaving the park docent and his flock in the dust mud.

A word of wisdom holds that good exercise should leave you able to talk, but just barely. And that’s how we did the outbound leg of the trek, enjoying the conversation.

Coming back, I whipped out my moop bag and proceeded at a more deliberate pace, picking up beer bottles and whatnot as I went. There is very little such out there, but there ought to be none.

All told, it was three fabulous hours.

And that was the launch of this year’s fitness campaign. I have put on 20 pounds since Labor Day, and they are coming back off! Witness my meal just now; two apples and a cup of yogurt.
Also, eating slowly and chewing thoroughly seems to reduce the urge to go back for seconds.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Foot Washing Salon, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

EXPANDING TO TWO LOCATIONS IN 2019. BICYCLE TECHS, BODY PAINTERS, AND OTHER TALENTS WANTED

Melonblue
Burning Since: 2015

Post by Melonblue » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:10 pm

Yay good for you!

I'm also thinking is time to stop slacking off and get back into 30 mins a day of cardio.

But what I'm really training for is that 8 glasses of water a day. That one is tough. By glass 4 I'm done.

:-P

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:48 pm

Drinking lots of water is simply wonderful for us, if my nutritionist knows anything about it. It may take a bit of effort in the cool part of the year, but on Playa it comes pretty much naturally to me.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Foot Washing Salon, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

EXPANDING TO TWO LOCATIONS IN 2019. BICYCLE TECHS, BODY PAINTERS, AND OTHER TALENTS WANTED

southern crone
Burning Since: 2014

Post by southern crone » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:52 pm

I had my traditional banana split for New Years Eve. I too want to get in shape for the new year and Burning Man. Oct.31st to Jan. 31st I eat and enjoy what I want. Now I cut back, lift weights, try to drink more water, walk my dog further and get more rest. Hopefully!

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:13 pm

I bought a treadmill in early December and started at 2mph for 15 or 20 minutes. God, I am so fucking out of shape! The first time I did the easiest preset fat burning workout, I had to dial it back and my heart rate was in the cardio range. Now I'm at 3mph for at least half hour on my slow day exercise and upped the grade to 4 (days where I just want to make sure I move enough) and can do the preset exercise without feeling like I'm going to die. Heart rate is only 106 or so.

I'm feeling much better already. I'm also using an app to log what I eat. A little over 3 lbs down.

I absolutely hated the lack of energy and near non-ability to bike last year on the playa, not to mention the slow, slow drag of middle aged weight gain + loss of muscle. I need to keep going during tax season, so I'm looking for all the help I can get! I'm too young to feel this old! (Physically old that is)
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:37 am

keep going pink , it all takes time but it works if ya dont give up ") Im back to my old weight , still need 10 more lbs .
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:32 am

I'm 5 over last burn.. But there is wood to split and horse poop to spread.. The weather is going to be in the forties..Just have stop sitting around so much..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:09 am

VALUABLE LESSON

This is old news, but I noticed it today, so here goes.

Many of us have lower-back trouble, and also a flabby stomach. And we have learned – or at least been told – that we can alleviate both with muscle exercises.

For the lower back, we do pelvic rotations. We can do this in all four directions, but the most important seems (to me) to be rotating the pelvis forward – which I think of as pressing the small of my back against the floor. This brings noticeable relief in just minutes.

For the belly, we tighten the stomach muscles. Sit-ups will work, but are hard on the back. So we lift our legs instead, drawing one knee up at the time, gently but firmly. And maybe eventually both knees at once.

But… some time ago I was not able to tell these two muscles (or muscle groups) apart, and I felt frustrated.

Well, I’m here to tell you…. With a little practice, I learned it! Now I can press my lower back against the mat for ten seconds, and do two or three repetitions of the stomach tightening at the same time. They are different muscles! And it feels great to gain control of them.

tatonka

Post by tatonka » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:12 am

when i hit the heavy bag , my pelvis is rotating back and forth. Each punch brings a twist of the hip , but I still squat like a chinaman to loosen up my lower back.
That seems to work for me.
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:17 am

I have a bum knee that does not like to squat, but I do like to stretch my lower back in other ways, yes.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:37 am

Oh... and let's not forget my friendly local heated salt-water indoor pool.
That this exists in extremely-rural Lake County is a bit of a miracle, but that tells us that most folks should be able to find one near by. (Although perhaps not with salt.)

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:57 am

A couple moths ago, Time Magazine ran a one-page article with six exercises that are recommended for "us seniors". It focuses on men, but should apply to everyone. I can e-mail a larger file if you wish.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:06 am

Elliot wrote:VALUABLE LESSON

This is old news, but I noticed it today, so here goes.

Many of us have lower-back trouble, and also a flabby stomach. And we have learned – or at least been told – that we can alleviate both with muscle exercises.

For the lower back, we do pelvic rotations. We can do this in all four directions, but the most important seems (to me) to be rotating the pelvis forward – which I think of as pressing the small of my back against the floor. This brings noticeable relief in just minutes.

For the belly, we tighten the stomach muscles. Sit-ups will work, but are hard on the back. So we lift our legs instead, drawing one knee up at the time, gently but firmly. And maybe eventually both knees at once.

But… some time ago I was not able to tell these two muscles (or muscle groups) apart, and I felt frustrated.

Well, I’m here to tell you…. With a little practice, I learned it! Now I can press my lower back against the mat for ten seconds, and do two or three repetitions of the stomach tightening at the same time. They are different muscles! And it feels great to gain control of them.
Yes Elliot, women have been doing the pelvic press for eons... :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:07 am

But seriously it does feel really good as do pelvic thrusts
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:50 am

as Lucky points out

we do this !

xoA.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:12 pm

"But it's the pelvic thrust that drives you insa a a a ane!!!" 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:53 pm

speak for yourself Figgy
xoA.

tatonka

Post by tatonka » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:05 pm

i say insanity " im just crazy about that girl "
-Plato

tatonka

Post by tatonka » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:21 pm

-Plato

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:13 am

Interesting fact: ALL hoopers can write their name in the snow without using their hands!!!!!!!!! :shock:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:13 pm

I re-discovered head standing! I haven't done it since preteen age. I use to watch whole TV programs upside down. I was only able to go for a couple minutes this evening, but I liked it a lot!

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:51 pm

I'm getting a headache just thinking about head standing.

But I've lost 15 pounds!
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:12 pm

I find it easier to stand on other peoples' heads...
just sayin'....
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:50 pm

There's a great deal of info online about the benefits. I've just known it instinctively I guess. I just did 3 minutes, and it's invigorating.

maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Post by maryanimal » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:20 pm

I'll have to try stand on my head, but I need a spotter! :D I'm down from 187 to 175 and I like the way if feels. It took me from Sept. to now to lose the weight. I've given up breads, white rice, and I've been eating GF bread. It isn't bad. Just something I got used to. I also use a vegan spread call Nature's Balance and that is good stuff! I still have a bit of fat on my sides and tummy. crunches are in order. But hey! I had a cute 31y.o. ask me out...wow. What a dilemma.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:37 am

That's terrific! It just keeps getting better! I'm still working on getting back to my pre-2014 burning weight. Sometimes it gets scary though.
Spotter: just do it against a wall. I'm standing against a post in the middle of the room and that's enough for me. My arms got tired last night, but if that's all then I know I'll just get stronger in that area.
This is inspiring me to do other yoga stuff. Maybe tonight.

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:51 am

Bumping this!
I've been going walkies every day since 7/1. Started at 30 mins, now hiking for an hour for the last week. 9 degree climb up and all downhill back. I just got something to listen to organied last night, so the self-talk can be toned down. I've been taking 1# weights with me, jacked my shoulder yesterday, so going wo weights today. Gotta get my shoulders stronger to hold up the dang signs for taping to the potty doors.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:24 pm

I've lost 10 pounds since April, but I'd gained ten over winter, so it is a draw.

Doing anything with tendonitis in my foot is horrible. I feel like just giving up.

Return to “Open Discussion”