All things outside of Burning Man.
Foxfur
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur @ 2:45 & C

Re: Work in Progress

Postby Foxfur » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:36 pm

LOVE IT!
I am inspired.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

MikeGyver
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby MikeGyver » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:10 pm

Its actually brighter in person. and were gonna throw some El-Wire on it so its bright and glowey. next is adding a canopy...

Glad I can be inspirational :D now to find some bikes to cut apart :twisted:
Last edited by MikeGyver on Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:10 pm

Leach line?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

MikeGyver

Postby MikeGyver » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:13 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Leach line?

If your leach line is 36" diameter then yes (not trying to sound like an ass, just dont know what diameter leach line is.)
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

EspressoDude

Postby EspressoDude » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:03 pm

http://www.cpp-pipe.com/index.html

one manufacturer's website
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

MikeGyver

Postby MikeGyver » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:23 pm

EspressoDude wrote:http://www.cpp-pipe.com/index.html

Thanks ED, I think they would laugh at me if I asked them to send 2' of pipe across the country to Southern California.

And now that all the paints dry here's a picture of it on its wheels.

Foxfur

Postby Foxfur » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:06 pm

Mrpatatomoto wrote:
EspressoDude wrote:http://www.cpp-pipe.com/index.html

Thanks ED, I think they would laugh at me if I asked them to send 2' of pipe across the country to Southern California.

And now that all the paints dry here's a picture of it on its wheels.

Ahh Moto, you would be blown away at the engineering samples companies will provide. For example, virtually any integrated circuit (chip) manufacturer will give you a reasonable amount of samples for free.
On the small volume purchases. A silicon wafer plating system I built required a 12 inch diameter by 18 inch long piece of ultrapure grade polypropleyne pipe. The standard length was 20 feet. At $210 per foot I'd have not made any profit on the machine. I was able to call the Asahi engineering dept, talked to a senior applications engineer who hooked me up with a 2 foot piece for $80 delivered.

You may be able to call the mfg of the stuff you need and explain to them that you are in prototype phase with your design and need a small amount that you'd be glad to pay for. I've found that offering money often results in a gracious rejection of said money and a free sample heading my way.
If they ask what your application is, be vague. You're helping a team of engineers and just do the ordering for their product development research. Because it is research being paid for by a commercial entity there are intellectual property interests that prevent you from divulging details about the project your engineers are engaged in.

Also try a large plumbing supply outfit for end cuts, scraps, or orphaned custom cut short sections.
Well drilling contractors sometimes use that material for wellhead encasement.
Construction sites have short sections and end cuts all over the place after sub-grade work is finished.
Before I retired I repaired a diverse range of scientific instruments, industrial machine lines, and institutional steam systems dating from the 2000's back to the 1940's. Sourcing materials for repurposing was a speciality of mine.

I hope these suggestions give you a starting point to go from. Contact me for further 'guerilla engineering' info if needed :)
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

EspressoDude

Postby EspressoDude » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:24 pm

another source, though maybe not HDPE but fiberglass is 'access hole / cleanout liner/ riser for septic tanks. most septic tank mfg / installers have this in their yard.

(you do have those in California?)
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE

MikeGyver

Postby MikeGyver » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:18 pm

Yeah. We have a septic tank. I just didn't think the lines were that large. And thanks for the info FF makes sense after hearing it just didn't think they would send me small portions just because I asked, but saying its for a prototype is a great idea. Yeah, my origional thought was to go around constructions sites and see if they had left overs I could haul off for them.

jella
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Postby jella » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:33 am

Gosh I sure am glad we got a three day weekend so my O.C.D can get me up at 6 am to work on my new nemisis..I am calling this one Purple haze becacuse I go to bed after working on it . I learned about 5 ways how not to make a welt pocket today.. :twisted: ..so my coat has one welt and one falsie bahahahahahahahahah

Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

Foxfur

Postby Foxfur » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:51 am

jella wrote:Gosh I sure am glad we got a three day weekend so my O.C.D can get me up at 6 am to work on my new nemisis..I am calling this one Purple haze becacuse I go to bed after working on it . I learned about 5 ways how not to make a welt pocket today.. :twisted: ..so my coat has one welt and one falsie bahahahahahahahahah

Lookit that waistline...
That's not a warm coat. It's HOT!
Hope this doesn't creep out Moto. Put up a pic of him in it and I'll tell him what I think...
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

jella

Postby jella » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:22 am

Thanks Ff..
As fas as "Moto" modeling it
Um...think big man in a little coat....big man in a little coat hehe

He has his own he's not allowed near this one :twisted:
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

Foxfur

Postby Foxfur » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:49 am

I have a funny feeling that after the burn I will be digging the sewing machine out of storage and remodeling the computer room.
Although if I need to sew leather I'll need to see Espressodude. My needle would bend away from it like an angry dowsing rod.
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

jella

Postby jella » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:55 am

Ff, why wait....go for it. Do you have a tutu yet ??

I'm building up the nerve to recycle a pair of suede western equitation show chaps into a Utility belt.maybe after the next two or three things get done I'll give it a try.

Side note.....any leather workers words of widsom is greatly appriciated :)

Foxfur

Postby Foxfur » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:22 am

jella wrote:Ff, why wait....go for it. Do you have a tutu yet ??

I'm building up the nerve to recycle a pair of suede western equitation show chaps into a Utility belt.maybe after the next two or three things get done I'll give it a try.

A leather tutu!
With a pink furry lining.
I won't be wearing anything under that.
Now THAT'S commando.
(So few opportunities for men to wear pink...)
Seize the YAY!
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:11 am

It's called "MACHO PINK", wear it proudly!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:14 am

Foxfur wrote:
jella wrote:Ff, why wait....go for it. Do you have a tutu yet ??

A leather tutu!
With a pink furry lining.
I won't be wearing anything under that.
Now THAT'S commando.
(So few opportunities for men to wear pink...)
Seize the YAY!

as I sit, ready to burst...........I gotta "get my mind right"...........please hep me, boss............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

EspressoDude

Postby EspressoDude » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:03 pm

Foxfur wrote: My needle would bend away from it like an angry dowsing rod.

what, you don't 'like' leather...
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:19 pm

Mrpatatomoto wrote:From what i've seen I thought it was plastic not aluminum. But it could be black painted aluminum... It would probably be lighter than the plastic of the same diameter anyways so Ill look into that.

What you are looking for is large diameter plastic storm drain and culvert pipe. ADS (Advanced Drainage Services) is the manufacturer that supplies most of the local excavating outfits in this area. I would not recommend the aluminum coated steel culvert pipe as it is hard to work with and does not have the substantial structural rib that the plastic pipe has.
IMHO Your best bet in finding a chunk of pipe is an active construction site where drainage work is being done. Sometimes you have to waste 2 to 4 feet of pipe to get them to fit right from man hole to man hole. Sometimes there is a 2 foot push pipe but that typically gets really beat up with the ADS product. Then there is the remnant yard that nearly every excavating company has. The highway department may have some just laying around at a local yard that they may be willing to part with. If you live in an area with an irrigation district that uses open ditches and culvert crossings they might be a source too. I work for the state now so I can not liberate anything from the yard. Ill keep my eye out for a chunk though.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Foxfur

Postby Foxfur » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:03 am

EspressoDude wrote:

Nope.
I LOVE leather. The original super-material.
My old Singer would wince and it's walking foot would kick my ass. (Dunno if it even has a WF but it sounded good...)
Are there any leather supply shops in the PDX area? I like to cop a feel before I commit.
Been thinking of hitting up a saddlery but they probably sell their scrap to China.
We'll get there...
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:27 am

I think it might be called the "presser foot". I don't know where I remembered that from, or even if I remembered it correctly.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Postby motskyroonmatick » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:13 am

Foxfur wrote:
EspressoDude wrote:

Nope.
I LOVE leather. The original super-material.
My old Singer would wince and it's walking foot would kick my ass. (Dunno if it even has a WF but it sounded good...)
Are there any leather supply shops in the PDX area? I like to cop a feel before I commit.
Been thinking of hitting up a saddlery but they probably sell their scrap to China.
We'll get there...

I got all my leather, hardware and supplies for my Bondage Barber Chair at the PDX location ofhttp://www.oregonleatherco.com/ 110 N.W. 2ND
Portland, OR 97209. They have bins of scrap/remnant that are inexpensive and appeared to be quite sewable with a regular sewing machine. I went for the thick belt stuff though. Be sure to go upstairs to look at all the cool hardware and the discount hardware bin. The place is kind of a trip and it's fun looking through all their stuff.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

EspressoDude

Postby EspressoDude » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:49 pm

yep. Oregon Leather is THE place!

Ff and I had them on our list of places to visit last week, but after the scrapyard dumpster diving, Boring Surplus, and the Batcave, it was too late to make it across the I-5 columbia river bridge and back in the same day....the river is so high that any tug/barge, or sailboat requires a lift. Usually takes about 1/2 - 1 hour to clear that cluster fuck, and after 3 pm traffic won't clear until about 7pm. It is the only lift span on the entire US Interstae highway system.

Portland mayor sam adams only concern seems to be what color to paint his little 'artistic' eco-friendly he wants on the bridge.
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE

Foxfur

Postby Foxfur » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:19 pm

Finished the Tactical Air Defense Helmet for next Juplaya...

Lookout Fuckos...
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

lucky.bastard

Postby lucky.bastard » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:12 pm

^ dig it.

here is my walking stick with a baby doll head on top that has a color changing LED inside, i wired a switch under the leather... has a cool effect glowing through the plastic and changing colors.

* if picture didn't post please someone tell me what i am doing wrong
"In cultivating my own personal sojourn of enlightenment, I've had to forego employment opportunities "

Elderberry

Postby Elderberry » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:28 pm

lucky.bastard wrote:^ dig it.

here is my walking stick with a baby doll head on top that has a color changing LED inside, i wired a switch under the leather... has a cool effect glowing through the plastic and changing colors.

* if picture didn't post please someone tell me what i am doing wrong

You posted this:

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/9625044@N05/5903749616/[/img]

You should have posted using this URL:
For images to show up using the image tag they have to end in either a ".jpg" or ".gif"
But Flicker doesn't make it easy to find the direct URL to the photo. :(

Code: Select all

[img]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5317/5903749616_861bb4cd91.jpg[/img]

JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:34 am

well, I think I've got the locking system(s) for the Hof doors done.
Rough, I still need to do some grinding for "pretty" but, wanting them to be rustic and crude (ala castle keep hand wrought).

box lock (no top on it yet, for fab. access) slide mount. box made from channel iron.

box lock interior, hasps for padlock, puck lock in place.

puck lock, pin out

puck lock hasp sliding system (slides to allow door swing)

vault lock key access

vault lock mechanism (1 of 3 total), marked but not yet cut out.

vault lock, full mechanism (interior view, no wood yet)

exterior view doors, primed (unlocked)

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

jella

Postby jella » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:27 am

aWeSoMe Yggy
There will be no storming of that castle !!

Elderberry

Postby Elderberry » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:56 am

jella wrote:aWeSoMe Yggy

They might storm it, but they'll never get in! Nice work Ygmir.
JK

Sic Pup

Postby Sic Pup » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:10 am

jkisha wrote:
jella wrote:aWeSoMe Yggy

They might storm it, but they'll never get in! Nice work Ygmir.

Ditto, very impressive.

Are we 100% sure he's designing it to keep people OUT?
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

Return to “Open Discussion”