Writing a paper on Burning Man

All things outside of Burning Man.
C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:35 am

5 seconds, 5 hours, put some bacon around it.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:25 am

Witness the power of thread drift!

squeakasaur

Post by squeakasaur » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:25 am

haha you guys are ridiculous xD
I am a Tyrannosaurus Sex ;D

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:36 am

/waits for boobs
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:50 am

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:50 am

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:51 am

I don't know what disturbs me more, him or the close resemblance i bear with him... :/
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

squeakasaur

Post by squeakasaur » Sun May 02, 2010 4:45 pm

misfit wrote:squeak,,, its all in good fun. BTW, how did you come up with your screen name.?. i read a comic, "JTHM", where squeak is one of the characters...
It has nothing to do with Johnny. I squeak.... so like 5 years ago one of my teachers called me squeak. And then everyone started calling me squeak. So it is just my nickname. And the asaur is because I LOVE dinosaurs. I have dino plushies that I love. One has even gone to burning man before.
I don't actually know how I thought of Squeakasaur but I did. So hi im Squeakasaur c: and will most likely be dressed up as a little blue dino at burning man this year.
I am a Tyrannosaurus Sex ;D

changoloco
Burning Since: 1997

Post by changoloco » Wed May 05, 2010 9:40 am

squeakasaur wrote:
misfit wrote:squeak,,, its all in good fun. BTW, how did you come up with your screen name.?. i read a comic, "JTHM", where squeak is one of the characters...
It has nothing to do with Johnny. I squeak.... so like 5 years ago one of my teachers called me squeak. And then everyone started calling me squeak. So it is just my nickname. And the asaur is because I LOVE dinosaurs. I have dino plushies that I love. One has even gone to burning man before.
I don't actually know how I thought of Squeakasaur but I did. So hi im Squeakasaur c: and will most likely be dressed up as a little blue dino at burning man this year.
It's nice to see that you found your groove around here.
Live the life you love, Love the life you live

yellowdog

Post by yellowdog » Wed May 05, 2010 10:39 pm

I have little knowledge on environmental impact, almost as little as I do on Burningman.I am thinking that maybe a good starting point would be trash, it seems like Burningman would generate a lot of trash, right? and even though I am aware of leave no trace, what is done about the trash when people leave? I read that some people just toss it on the side of the highway. And what is done with stuff just left behind by assholes?
Here's a question that may be relevant for you...one of the conscious decisions made by the organizers of BurningMan (voiced by Maid Marion at a chataqua-style talk at Otter camp a few years ago)was to NOT put out trash cans or provide trash collection at BurningMan. the thought being that, if trash cans were provided, people would tend to throw stuff AT the trash cans and assume it was someone else's responsibility to pick it up off the ground. Deciding not to provide a "pubic service" puts the responsibility on the individual. (see:radical self-reliance). At Burning Man, it works quite well: in the absence of a "nanny-state" the community forms it's own rules around it's own priorities and enforces them itself. You have more experience in defaultia (the non-Burning Man world). Would the same idea work this way in defaultia? If not, why not?

Magpie

Post by Magpie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:47 am

yellowdog wrote:
I have little knowledge on environmental impact, almost as little as I do on Burningman.I am thinking that maybe a good starting point would be trash, it seems like Burningman would generate a lot of trash, right? and even though I am aware of leave no trace, what is done about the trash when people leave? I read that some people just toss it on the side of the highway. And what is done with stuff just left behind by assholes?
Here's a question that may be relevant for you...one of the conscious decisions made by the organizers of BurningMan (voiced by Maid Marion at a chataqua-style talk at Otter camp a few years ago)was to NOT put out trash cans or provide trash collection at BurningMan. the thought being that, if trash cans were provided, people would tend to throw stuff AT the trash cans and assume it was someone else's responsibility to pick it up off the ground. Deciding not to provide a "pubic service" puts the responsibility on the individual. (see:radical self-reliance). At Burning Man, it works quite well: in the absence of a "nanny-state" the community forms it's own rules around it's own priorities and enforces them itself. You have more experience in defaultia (the non-Burning Man world). Would the same idea work this way in defaultia? If not, why not?
I had to give that some thought, but I don't think it would work, at least not without a universal shift of those in the default world to a more "burner" way of thinking. Burners go to BM knowing they are expected to be self reliant. We experience varying levels of success, but the fact remains, it is a universal understanding when we live in BRC.

this isn't the case in the default world. Not only is it not universally understood, but it's not universally desired. there are so many people who WANT to be taken care of. Man, this is depressing...

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:19 pm

....ah, but...
Personal consciousness is raised by MOOP practices in BRC, then carried to defaultia by burners; the trick is to continue and educate those around you, one by one, just as we do at BM.
I stopped using single-use water bottles 10 years ago, and started picking up MOOP in my path, wherever I go; through example, many of my high school students have adopted both practices.
My time in BRC has benefited my home community (in many more ways than this) and, by extension, the greater community...

geekster

Post by geekster » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:25 pm

One art thing I always wanted to do was a trash can with the lid welded in place. Or maybe even a dumpster with the lid welded shut. But the only thing keeping me from doing that is that people would stack trash around it. Then I had the idea that maybe I would put it next to Math Camp where they have their Group W bench. A half a ton of garbage wouldn't be so out of place there. And maybe I would put something at the bottom of it with Larry Harvey's name on it ... and take 8x10 glossy color pictures with circles and arrows and write a paragraph on the back of each one ...

And that is when I realized that just selling gray ice for half price would be easier.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

Magpie

Post by Magpie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:25 pm

gaminwench wrote:....ah, but...
Personal consciousness is raised by MOOP practices in BRC, then carried to defaultia by burners; the trick is to continue and educate those around you, one by one, just as we do at BM.
I stopped using single-use water bottles 10 years ago, and started picking up MOOP in my path, wherever I go; through example, many of my high school students have adopted both practices.
My time in BRC has benefited my home community (in many more ways than this) and, by extension, the greater community...
That is good to know! I've only been to BM once and came home wishing the default world was more like it. I guess it can be if we make it so :-)

Return to “Open Discussion”