I got kicked out of school..

All things outside of Burning Man.
JekJek

I got kicked out of school..

Post by JekJek » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:07 pm

i think i've yet to tell anyone of you but I got kicked out of school my Junior year of high school, for having my anxiety pills, which were registered with the school, on me instead of in the office. I'm currently working on getting my GED so i can start at Chemeketa fall term. I will still be at burning man! as long as i can come up with money for a ticket but that shouldn't be hard for me. see you all in a couple months!! I'm so excited!! :D
Jek*Jek

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: I got kicked out of school..

Post by AntiM » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:57 pm

Jek_Jek wrote:i think i've yet to tell anyone of you but I got kicked out of school my Junior year of high school, for having my anxiety pills, which were registered with the school, on me instead of in the office. I'm currently working on getting my GED so i can start at Chemeketa fall term. I will still be at burning man! as long as i can come up with money for a ticket but that shouldn't be hard for me. see you all in a couple months!! I'm so excited!! :D
Well that just sucks. But at least you're working on the GED and college. Good plan, sounds like what I did. I quit my junior year because I was missing so many credits from living in Iran and moving around. I took the GED and went to college instead of my senior year in HS. I used my college credits to get a high school diploma when I joined the Navy. Took me forever, but I have a couple BS degrees. LOL, I am a homemaker now, a very over-educated homemaker!

Here and there

Post by Here and there » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:08 pm

Jek Jek - you might want to talk to a lawyer about that one. I'm guessing that you might have run afoul of one of those infamous "zero tolerance" school drug policies. If so, you might be able to make a case that the school's actions were in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

The law requires that "reasonable accomodations" be made for anybody with a disability, defined, I believe, as being any condition that limits participation in a major life activity, or something like that. A knee jerk response, like that written into a zero tolerance policy, doesn't become reasonable merely by benefit of being made policy. If we're looking at a policy that was created for the purpose to keep illegal narcotics out of school, and it's being used to go after students using prescribed (legal) medication, that's obviously not reasonable, and it's something that the school board could have been expected to think about when it wrote the policy.

Meaning that you might be able to sue the school, force it to pay you big bucks and let you back in. A GED is better than nothing, but a high school diploma is going to look better, when you go looking for a job. Legal representation does cost real money, but lawyers often do a certain amount of pro bono work, and you might be able to get somebody to take such a case on contingency - his payment being a share of the money paid out by the school on settling the case.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:55 pm

great idea, sue the school for "big bucks"......they've got a huge, deep pocket and endless budget.
and,it'll make a huge difference.

That's one of the great things about this country. Sue everyone for everything, maybe you'll get rich off it.......the lawyers sure do.

great advise.

suing to be re-instated, (if necessary) and, if it comes to the fact they did wrong, well, sure.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

bm_cricket
Burning Since: 2008

Post by bm_cricket » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:49 pm

ygmir wrote:great idea, sue the school for "big bucks".....
Some battles are made because they are right and others are made because they are profitable. This kid deserves an education. Don't sue for money, fight to get an education... It's true that the school district has no money.. Don't take what precious little they do have.
It was better next year. -Burners

Here and there

Post by Here and there » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:22 am

bm_cricket wrote:
ygmir wrote:great idea, sue the school for "big bucks".....
It's true that the school district has no money

Tough. They should have thought about that before they chose to violate this kid's rights, and break the law in the process. The ADA is not a recent piece of legislation, nor is it an obscure one. They had every way in the world of knowing what they were getting themselves in for, legally, and they chose to do so.

They are responsible for their own bad choices.

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:50 am

Here and There,

From my view point (which is always flawed) I see this as a Kid who knows the rules and was/had been playing by the rules. By his on account he had the meds Registered but for some reason had them on his person which is against the rules of that campus for the safety of the rest of the students and school staff. I'm dealing with a teenager with anxiety right now and from what I'm learning it's a very serious condition but no where have I found anything listing it as a disability on the "ADA" list. It can be with other conditions make the list.

So the kid wanders the Halls with his Meds and for some reason he/she shares with others. The parents of the other kids can then sue because they had the belief that the school had control of the prescription medicine to be locked down and safe from illegal distribution to other students? Who do they Sue? The parents of the student handing out the meds? Or the School for not following the rules set forth at the beginning of the school year? Or do they Sue you, because you think it's ok to sue a School System for trying to protect the rest of the Adult and Students on Campus?? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Zero Tolerance is not the best, but it's a starting point. 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

littleflower

Post by littleflower » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:50 am

"they" are not the ones who have deep pockets.
"they" won't pay a thing.

taxpayers pay.
teachers pay.
kids pay.

as others have said ... sue to get back in ... but as antim says, there are other ways to become educated, and even over-educated. good on you jek-jek, for sticking to it! hope to see you on the playa!

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:27 am

Okay, I know JekJek, she was in my village and she's a bright kid with the support and love of her parents.
I don't see her passing her pills around. I suppose that if they had known, the thuggish element in her school could have jumped her for them.
I think it's a pain that schools have to protect themselves that way, and I think it's a clunky solution to the problem, but I don't have a better one.
Anxiety is a nasty disorder. Nasty, nasty, nasty. And crippling, in some cases.
I suspect, although I do not know, that "burners" tend to have a greater incidence of GREs and of "non-traditional" paths from school to career.

JekJek, you have my support, whatever way you need it. I look forwards to seeing you in August.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

bm_cricket
Burning Since: 2008

Post by bm_cricket » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:27 am

littleflower wrote:hope to see you on the playa!
The playa is quite an education in itself...

but for the formal stuff I found that High School was almost destructive. Community College was where I grew. Finally I've made it to a University but it's slow going.

For my part, I hope you make it out to the playa!
And I hope you get back in school! ;-)
(And I hope you don't sue us taxpayers in the process!)
It was better next year. -Burners

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:16 am

Having worked in the government system, sometimes suing for money is the only way someone actually gets fired if they messed up. It's not ideal but if someone was really an idiot in the way they acted "in public interest" it may be the best solution long term.
[img]http://tikifuckos.org/anisign.gif[/img]

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:02 pm

The people involved are often personally liable, and governments often love to throw them to the wolves.

This sends an effective message sometimes.

Until legal help is actually available when you need it, the tort system created by the people with deep pockets (remember) is all we have, and suing for cash is often the only recourse. (unless someone here has another method to pay attorneys?)

Also, the school system probably is already wasting that money you say it doesn't have on attorneys on retainer or fulltime pay, which often explains arrogance.

If you can't afford to pay damages, it may be wise to act that way.

If the taxpayers don't care enough to control government, whose fault is that?

The city and school system here pay out so much that they continue to fight in court to avoid admitting how much it is every year.

Zero tolerance = zero brains.
Anyone using such a policy can expect guaranteed lawsuits.
If the taxpayers cheer on a rabid dog on the loose, they can expect someone to shoot it.

Zero tolerance is feelgood, showboating politics.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:07 pm

gyre wrote:The people involved are often personally liable, and governments often love to throw them to the wolves.

This sends an effective message sometimes.

Until legal help is actually available when you need it, the tort system created by the people with deep pockets (remember) is all we have, and suing for cash is often the only recourse. (unless someone here has another method to pay attorneys?)

Also, the school system probably is already wasting that money you say it doesn't have on attorneys on retainer or fulltime pay, which often explains arrogance.

If you can't afford to pay damages, it may be wise to act that way.

If the taxpayers don't care enough to control government, whose fault is that?

The city and school system here pay out so much that they continue to fight in court to avoid admitting how much it is every year.

Zero tolerance = zero brains.
Anyone using such a policy can expect guaranteed lawsuits.
If the taxpayers cheer on a rabid dog on the loose, they can expect someone to shoot it.

Zero tolerance is feelgood, showboating politics.
as I would have expected.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:30 pm

Other solutions suggested really add up to doing nothing.

Free attorneys are usually a fiction, though sometimes sighted.

This is hardly the most outrageous thing a school has done, but the policy of abrogating administration to feelgood slogans guarantees worse.
And ejecting someone from school can have serious consequences.
What is the recourse?
The school claims none.
Essentially taxpayers have abdicated real thought when they accept this bullshit.
And invited expense.

The only other option is damaging publicity, and most people aren't equipped to do it, especially with almost non-existent journalism these days.
It requires certain skills, and can be emotionally taxing.
And it is usually time consuming and/or expensive.

It is the only option I have been left with by the hospital that injured and nearly killed me.
Regulatory agencies did nothing.
Fortunately a hospital makes a nice, juicy publicity magnet.
They pay huge sums yearly to the most expensive law firm in town to avoid paying for injuries they cause.
They routinely pay more to fight cases than it would cost to settle.
Ethics are not involved.

So two approaches and a third, give in and leave a system that will do worse to the next person?
Talk about pie in the sky.

I think when you do nothing, you're responsible for the next person caught in the wheels.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:46 pm

If I was in school, I kniow it would drive me crazy.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/23854186/detail.html
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Wednesday was graduation day for Sierramont Middle School in San Jose, but for one student who got into trouble for keeping a fellow teen from making a terrible mistake, it was a day she would rather forget.

350 Sierramont graduates marched to "Pomp and Circumstance" into the San Jose Convention Center Wednesday evening.

But one graduate could only watch from outside the room.

School officials two days ago suspended 13-year-old Nia Arranaga and banned her from participating graduation. The school charged her with possessing a knife on campus.

"I'm kinda mad that I'm not in there because of what the school done," said Arranaga.

She said on Monday during lunch she saw a male friend being bullied by some boys and went to talk to him.

"He had told me that he wanted to stab another student. and I saw him playing with the knife," said Arranaga. "So as the bell rang to go back to class, I grabbed the knife from him before he could put it in his pocket. I was scared for someone to get hurt, so I took it away from him."

Arranga said later the assistant principal confronted her and found the knife in her backpack. She was suspended. The 8th grader said she had planned to throw the knife away at the end of the day and felt that teachers would not believe her story.

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:58 pm

In arkansas, we had a 5 or 6 year old suspended under the no tolerance for guns rule.

He was playing with friends on the playground and pointed his hand and went bang bang.

JekJek

Post by JekJek » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:49 am

I'm not gonna sue the school. The first time I was caught with my pills I also had a pipe and some stems on me, I was in the wrong and I can fully admit to that. Being expelled for my pills was some pretty big bullshit because I had stayed off the radar and been a good kid for months, but I can accept life as it comes. As it is I could go back to South Salem High School the second semester of next year but I was so close to graduating and they took the option from me really. Now i'd have to go back and repeat a year so i'd be staying in high school until I was 19. My first GED tests are next Tuesday and I'll be starting community college in the fall because I feel the need to make up and learn more. I have a Culinary school that is very interested in having me and I'm highly considering them as an option after I go to Chemeketa, after that I hope to complete my doctrine in culinary arts and baking and pastries at NECI (New England Culinary Institute), I haven't decided if I want to study abroad in another country yet but it's another consideration. I will see you all on the playa =) I have procured a ticket haha =))

Love <3
Jek*Jek

JekJek

Post by JekJek » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:52 am

P.S. I'm a girl, please stop reffering to me as he. As much as I might enjoy the thought of magically growing a penis overnight I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Jek*Jek

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:54 am

I won't speak for anyone but myself, but I am willing to bet that if you wanted to practice your culinary skills on the playa, no one would complain.

Just remember: You plan, Life laughs. Remembering to take life aas it comes is just as important as having goals.

Good Luck.
We break to remind us how to mend.

JekJek

Post by JekJek » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:54 am

[quote="gyre"]In arkansas, we had a 5 or 6 year old suspended under the no tolerance for guns rule.

He was playing with friends on the playground and pointed his hand and went bang bang.[/quote]

:shock: that's ridiculous
Jek*Jek

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:59 am

in texas a kid's mom accidentally gave her lunch to her son. When he opened the bag, he saw a knife in the bag to cut the steak with. He knew that knives were not allowed so he went to his teacher and told her that his mom must have given him the wrong lunch and handed her the bag. He was expelled.

OregonRed
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Post by OregonRed » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:07 am

Thought I'd throw in my $0.02.. For those of you that didn't meet us in BRC, I'm JekJek's mom, and her father and I fought to keep her in school, but it wasn't to be. JekJek has severe panic attacks of the variety where she cannot breathe and her heart pounds erratically(sp?) so she feels as though she's dying. When I explained this to the school board and that telling a person w/ severe anxiety that they cannot have their meds on them is tantamount to telling an asthmatic that they cannot have their inhaler on them, the school board's response was "An asthmatic CAN'T have their inhaler on them during school hours". At that point, I knew my daughter's public school education was over.

I am a high school dropout and I longed for my daughter to graduate from a traditional high school, but the truth is, ending my high school carreer early never ended my desire to be educated and I'll be receiving my bachelor's degree next June. So, when my daughter says she wants to get her doctorate, I do not doubt that she will. She has the love and support of myself, TheCO, her bio-dad, both sets of grandparents, and her BRC family. JekJek is set to succeed at whatever she does.

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:07 am

Jek_Jek, enable bbcode on your profile and posts, and the quotes will work.
Even in edit.

Everything should work in preview.

That's the thing about eplaya.
No one can tell if you're a girl, if you don't say.

Glad you're making it this year.

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:46 am

Jek_Jek wrote:P.S. I'm a girl, please stop referring to me as he. As much as I might enjoy the thought of magically growing a penis overnight I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Okay, that's very funny.

Again, being burning man, I wouldn't be too quick to make assumptions.
On eplaya, we have someone wearing a giant cat suit to post, and right now VeganChoirGirl is pretending to be a 400 pound guy with a cigar.

That said, if anything grows overnight, you may want to consult medical advice.

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:27 am

OregonRed wrote:Thought I'd throw in my $0.02.. For those of you that didn't meet us in BRC, I'm JekJek's mom, and her father and I fought to keep her in school, but it wasn't to be. JekJek has severe panic attacks of the variety where she cannot breathe and her heart pounds erratically(sp?) so she feels as though she's dying. When I explained this to the school board and that telling a person w/ severe anxiety that they cannot have their meds on them is tantamount to telling an asthmatic that they cannot have their inhaler on them, the school board's response was "An asthmatic CAN'T have their inhaler on them during school hours". At that point, I knew my daughter's public school education was over.

I am a high school dropout and I longed for my daughter to graduate from a traditional high school, but the truth is, ending my high school career early never ended my desire to be educated and I'll be receiving my bachelor's degree next June. So, when my daughter says she wants to get her doctorate, I do not doubt that she will. She has the love and support of myself, TheCO, her bio-dad, both sets of grandparents, and her BRC family. JekJek is set to succeed at whatever she does.
Hi OregonRed.

I'm not concerned about her education suffering, as much as some future school or employer questioning the ged.
And it still seems unfair.
No option to transfer?

My feeling is still that this would come under ada somewhere.
Often something might be considered a disability until treated and not when it is.
So if denying constant access defeats treatment, as it sounds like is the case, ada should apply.
You may want to look into it some more on this basis.

It was a school in my area that canceled the prom to avoid having a gay student attend.
They were ready to fight in court.
After being ridiculed worldwide, and a prom being held in Memphis, they paid a settlement of $35,000.
I'm guessing this covered the costs of the prom.

Authority will always be abused to the extent possible.
That is the fact this country was founded to fight.

Anyway, if you can find legal help, you might get a diploma after all.
A shot anyway.

I'm really sorry about the panic thing.
I wish I could help with that.
I have experienced something like that, but I understand what it is and can control my reaction.
And my threshold is pretty high.

You probably didn't intend to start a discussion about all this, but that's life sometimes.
Next time you want people to talk about something, no one will care.

And, by the way, the news said another child got charged with a gun threat in school for making a vague gun sign.
And a gun charm on a bracelet somewhere too.
And locally we had someone suspended for making gang signs, only they weren't, dancing or something.

Nothing new about insane school boards.

I had a principal that tried to have me arrested for things that aren't against the law.
Some fun conversations with the sheriff, trying to tell him he was an idiot...politely.
So we started doing more and more things that weren't against the rules, but bothered him.

He started announcing new rules without any explanation.
Stranger and stranger rules.
He sounded more and more deranged.

Someday I'll tell you about the time they put me up against our whole debate team.
I busted them up.
I still have no idea why they chose me for that.
The question was marijuana : pro or con.

I'm glad you're on the right track for you, and playabound too.

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:39 am

I am not sure why, but most school boards are made up of some of the stupidest, densest people on this planet. Some of the decisions are laughable, but so many effect the future of our young. I am not sure if it's some kind of mob mentality, where these people think they are the moral compass of the world, but in reality, they are really making a mess of things--and they don't even know it.
I recall the story of the 1st grader who had a rabbit's foot on her back pack. She was expelled because it was attached with a chain, and chains can be a weapon.
Jek_Jek, best of luck with everything. I assure you that you will have the last laugh over these nitwits, and when you become very rich and famous, remember to make a generous donation back to the school district who did so much for you.

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:00 am

gyre wrote:
Jek_Jek wrote:P.S. I'm a girl, please stop referring to me as he. As much as I might enjoy the thought of magically growing a penis overnight I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Okay, that's very funny.

On eplaya, we have someone wearing a giant cat suit to post, and right now VeganChoirGirl is pretending to be a 400 pound guy with a cigar.

Wasn't there a movie in the 80's that started out with a girl growing a penis overnight. I forget why it happened but I remember the first scene of the movie in my head (no pun intended, I'm female as well).

Mom, its okay. A GED won't matter if she gets a higher degree. The reality is only the highest degree you receive counts. When was the last time you asked your doctor what his high school GPA was?

JekJek

Post by JekJek » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:11 am

FaeTora wrote:
gyre wrote:
Okay, that's very funny.

Haha nah i'd probably just stand in front of a mirror naked and pelvic thrust in different directions for at least an hour. I could write a book on the things i'd do with a dick.

Anyways, like I said I have no intentions of sueing. I'm just going to continue with my life as I planned. It'll be a little harder but I can do it. I love you all an I apprecciate your input.

Love <3
Jek*Jek

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:14 am

Shit, now I need anti-anxiety pills. Hey kid...

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:19 am

jek jek that reminds me of a night with my crew and chat roulette. LOL the fond memories.

And coffee, ::runs downstairs::

Return to “Open Discussion”