Just Asking

All things outside of Burning Man.
User avatar
unjonharley
Posts: 10380
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair
Location: Salem Or.

Just Asking

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:07 pm

Do you belive in a unseen God??

Why??

just asking

User avatar
littleflower
Posts: 3420
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: rainforest canopy

Post by littleflower » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:15 pm

sure.

why not?

User avatar
Rice
Posts: 1759
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Location: da

Re: Just Asking

Post by Rice » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:25 pm

Nah!! God is something made to control people, dictate what they do...

I have never seen proof to the contrary...

User avatar
existential_renewal
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 8:33 am
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Fun Fur Traders
Location: Winnipeg, MB

Post by existential_renewal » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:31 pm

used to, then realized that it just wasn't possible

User avatar
goathead
Posts: 5317
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:02 pm
Burning Since: 1999
Location: Where I live is not far from home.

Post by goathead » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:31 pm

have no problem believing.

just can't believe what some people do in his name...

never seen any proof he doesn't exist.

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40313
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:39 pm

No.

If he did exist he'd be a cold-hearted bastard, and one hell of a mind fucker.
Plus, logic and science pretty much make hash of him.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
littleflower
Posts: 3420
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: rainforest canopy

Post by littleflower » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:46 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:No.

If he did exist he'd be a cold-hearted bastard, and one hell of a mind fucker.
Plus, logic and science pretty much make hash of him.
that's a pessimist's argument .... there is also much beauty. we focus where we will.
there is a great deal in life that defies logic .....
as for science, tell me that when science can create consciousness ... you may think it inevitable, but i am skeptical.

besides, i'd hate to die and find out it really is true ....

User avatar
unjonharley
Posts: 10380
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair
Location: Salem Or.

Re: Just Asking

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:59 pm

unjonharley wrote:Do you belive in a unseen God??

Why??

just asking
More to the point is why?

where is it coming from?

somewhere it was planted in your head

User avatar
geospyder
Posts: 1830
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:38 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Location: South of the Playa

Post by geospyder » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:59 pm

Myself, I'm confused...

Major disaster - tens of thousands dead or injured - a survivor is found in the rubble and people start praising God for saving the person. My question is why did this God let the disaster happen to begin with?

I'm not being sarcastic - just confused. I used to be "born again" but for the last ten years or so I have some serious doubts, especially after reading the entire Bible again, the last time as a novel instead of scripture.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

User avatar
unjonharley
Posts: 10380
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair
Location: Salem Or.

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:05 pm

geospyder wrote:Myself, I'm confused...

Major disaster - tens of thousands dead or injured - a survivor is found in the rubble and people start praising God for saving the person. My question is why did this God let the disaster happen to begin with?

I'm not being sarcastic - just confused. I used to be "born again" but for the last ten years or so I have some serious doubts, especially after reading the entire Bible again, the last time as a novel instead of scripture.
The bible been rewriten many times to some control freaks needs.

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14854
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Post by Elderberry » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:05 pm

No.

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14854
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Post by Elderberry » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:05 pm

Double post.

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15457
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Post by gyre » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:06 pm

Life is inevitable.

Consciousness may be a fluke.

Most likely not, but life as it exists here now may be a novelty.

Sentience appears to not be a given.

Look at life here.
Man is still in the experimental stage compared to the long success of the dinosaurs.
They don't seem to have been particularly aware.

Elephants appear to meet the human standards of sentient beings, as do many apes.
I certainly know people dumber than elephants.

User avatar
goathead
Posts: 5317
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:02 pm
Burning Since: 1999
Location: Where I live is not far from home.

Re: Just Asking

Post by goathead » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:07 pm

unjonharley wrote:
unjonharley wrote:Do you belive in a unseen God??

Why??

just asking
More to the point is why?

where is it coming from?

somewhere it was planted in your head
if there isn't what is the point of it all?

would like to think there is a point to all of this

maybe there isn't

maybe there is

hard not to believe on a star filled night in the desert

at the wonder of it all

we fuck ourselves and each other all the time

nature does as nature will

but why can we even think?

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15457
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Post by gyre » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:30 pm

Why would it change whether life has a point or not?

The seemingly obvious lack of a god has often been used as a logical justification for amorality and selfishness.

I think you can do good just because you think it is the right thing to do.
There is more reason to do the right thing, if you control your own destiny. (to the extent possible)
We get to decide who we are.

And I think those who behave a certain way, because they think they are being watched, aren't really good people at all.
I often hear it expressed that they would rather not be doing this or that.

"Character is what you are in the dark."


Unjon, I think it is generally thought that awe at the power of nature, especially death, is the root cause of spirituality and religion.
I can't find an exception to this.

It doesn't matter to me whether there is a god or not.
I've decided it wouldn't affect my choices.

And we won't know until we're dead.

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15457
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Post by gyre » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:39 pm

What's wrong with this philosophy?
[youtube][/youtube]

User avatar
unjonharley
Posts: 10380
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair
Location: Salem Or.

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:41 pm

gyre wrote:
And we won't know until we're dead.
So you belive in at least that part. why?

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15457
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Post by gyre » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:43 pm

That's when most of the stories say something will change...or not.

I know one way to find out about that part.

User avatar
unjonharley
Posts: 10380
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair
Location: Salem Or.

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:51 pm

gyre wrote:That's when most of the stories say something will change...or not.

I know one way to find out about that part.
So "why" do "you" want to hold onto a bible/god myth?

Risky
Posts: 759
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:56 pm

Post by Risky » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:52 pm

We have been discussing this in our home lately, with my husband and I swapping links and interesting points of view.

Here's one -
http://www.godisimaginary.com/video2.htm

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15457
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Post by gyre » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:00 pm

unjonharley wrote:
gyre wrote:That's when most of the stories say something will change...or not.

I know one way to find out about that part.
So "why" do "you" want to hold onto a bible/god myth?
I don't think I am.

I have no faith in the practices at the temple at burning man, but I still put things in there.
It seems to make other people feel better.
So far it seems harmless to me.

I don't think what you believe has any effect on god at all, or your eventual destination.
And I think most organized religion is actively evil.

Interestingly, the buddhists I know, think that you're all buddhists, regardless of your beliefs.
That's just how it works.

User avatar
Trishntek
Posts: 3463
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:27 pm
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!
Location: Ventura, CA, USA
Contact:

Post by Trishntek » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:03 pm

We are flying around on an electron of an atom of a molecule in what we perceive as the Universe. The Universe is God, beyond time and space. The Creator is not responsible for the relative minutiae of natural disasters and pestilence. Life is what we make it with the resources He provided. All was beautifully perfect and balanced in the beginning.

How can you explain how all we see throughout history is decay and destruction. Evolution teaches a progression of biologic complexity. The geologic record demonstrates great diversity in the beginning. As it began, the Earth was perfect. As time goes on, it gets less perfect. Death and decay is all around us. The world is decaying. Biologic diversity is smaller not greater.

That's my story and i'm stickin' to it
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

User avatar
unjonharley
Posts: 10380
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair
Location: Salem Or.

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:10 pm

gyre wrote:
unjonharley wrote:
gyre wrote:That's when most of the stories say something will change...or not.

I know one way to find out about that part.
So "why" do "you" want to hold onto a bible/god myth?
I don't think I am.

I have no faith in the practices at the temple at burning man, but I still put things in there.
It seems to make other people feel better.
So far it seems harmless to me.

I don't think what you believe has any effect on god at all, or your eventual destination.
And I think most organized religion is actively evil.

Interestingly, the buddhists I know, think that you're all buddhists, regardless of your beliefs.
That's just how it works.

buddhist is more a phillosopy and less a religion.

User avatar
gyre
Posts: 15457
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Post by gyre » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:15 pm

Not to the people practicing it.

There are many wide variations in it though.

There have been some interesting conflicts with some restoring temples.
The temples are often seen as a mechanical part of a functioning religion, not artifacts for preservation.

Like christianity, early tibetan buddhism was very different and much more ritualistic and magical.
Many versions are still in play.

User avatar
unjonharley
Posts: 10380
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair
Location: Salem Or.

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:21 pm

Trishntek wrote:We are flying around on an electron of an atom of a molecule in what we perceive as the Universe. The Universe is God, beyond time and space. The Creator is not responsible for the relative minutiae of natural disasters and pestilence. Life is what we make it with the resources He provided. All was beautifully perfect and balanced in the beginning.

How can you explain how all we see throughout history is decay and destruction. Evolution teaches a progression of biologic complexity. The geologic record demonstrates great diversity in the beginning. As it began, the Earth was perfect. As time goes on, it gets less perfect. Death and decay is all around us. The world is decaying. Biologic diversity is smaller not greater.

That's my story and i'm stickin' to it

close, cegar. the in the begaining myth is bible/god based

User avatar
dr.placebo
Posts: 980
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:03 pm
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp
Location: Volcano, HI
Contact:

Post by dr.placebo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:25 pm

The universe is vast, and we are small. Is the universe God? Is there a Creator? How could we tell?

There is clearly decay, and yet there is also progress. Hubris it may be, but consciousness is truly miraculous. I believe that any purpose to our existence lies in furthering that consciousness. We yearn to understand more, and we strive to do so, imperfect as that striving may be.

Whether we succeed or fail in this work is beyond our knowledge. What we will morph into is sheer speculation.

Bow before the mystery, and seek to unravel it.

User avatar
unjonharley
Posts: 10380
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair
Location: Salem Or.

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:38 pm

dr.placebo wrote:The universe is vast, and we are small. Is the universe God? Is there a Creator? How could we tell?

There is clearly decay, and yet there is also progress. Hubris it may be, but consciousness is truly miraculous. I believe that any purpose to our existence lies in furthering that consciousness. We yearn to understand more, and we strive to do so, imperfect as that striving may be.

Whether we succeed or fail in this work is beyond our knowledge. What we will morph into is sheer speculation.

Bow before the mystery, and seek to unravel it.
The only true constant is change.

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29575
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Post by ygmir » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:42 pm

I'm more of the "different dimension/side of the curtain type..

I have my "Gods" but, approach them as equals..........they have stuff I want, and vice versa............it's a natural communication, really, more almost a "friendship" as opposed to parent/child or master/slave.
I also ascribe some degree of sentience to most objects animate or not.
I believe in magic, manifestation, and, the power of intention, and reincarntion.

God is an easy term for me to use, but, I don't really see it that way.

stop me before I get eclectic.............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
unjonharley
Posts: 10380
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair
Location: Salem Or.

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:04 pm

So far,A few of you were happy to tell me what you believe.

No one has told "why?" they beleive in god.

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29575
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Post by ygmir » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:06 pm

because, it works for me..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Post Reply

Return to “Open Discussion”