ART!

All things outside of Burning Man.
JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:05 pm

If I linked that properly, it's one of my more intensive pencil sketches.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:07 pm

WOW!

That's really good.

Beautiful.
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:09 pm

Thanks! Here's another:

--Poe

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:10 pm

Like I said.....great taste in women. :lol:

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:13 pm

Yeah, they're pretty much all I draw:

--Poe

Bluebunnybee

Post by Bluebunnybee » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:23 pm

Nice work with the pencil JezebelinHell, dig the perspective on the first one
4x6 ink and water C drawing. For some reason I cut the center out, so I fixed it in photoshop with a sun flare.

Bluebunnybee

Post by Bluebunnybee » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:32 pm

2 more, 4x6 ink watter C and pencil and a jimy stamp. Made these in 93 l on tour with the Dead.

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:07 pm

Jezebelinhell:

Awesome job on the lips and shadows under the nose. They seem to be the biggest bitch, but if you can capture those two things, you can usually define the person to a 'T'.
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

samdu

so jealous

Post by samdu » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:39 am

jezebelinhell, your pencil sketches are great! i've been doodling with pencils lately, trying to figure out what i'm doing. it's really frustrating, because i can see what's wrong, but don't know how to fix it! there's a lot of visual artistic talent in my family, but it seems to have skipped me. so, of course, i'm the one who WANTS to be able to draw! i'm going to take my pencils and pad out to the playa with me, and do some more doodling. did you start out working in pencils? it seems like the easiest thing to cut my teeth on, but i'm not sure. do you work in ink or other colored pencils ever? and do you sketch from memory, or from models/photos/etc? i'm trying to pick your brain for pointers!

everybody- each time i come back to this page, i simultaneously feel elated and deflated. elated to see such beautiful creations, and to know that i may get to meet some of the creators, and deflated because i still have such a green jealous beast hanging over my shoulder, saying "you'll never be able to do that!" but i still come back, and stare, and smile a whole bunch!

sam the girl sam

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:48 am

Thanks samdu,

If anything it makes me feel exceptional. I always enjoy provoking as much as possible the artistic talent burningman artists have so that I can smile too.

Just wish more of the music talent would come out also. I spent all year setting up Playacast to get them to broadcast more talent there.

But alas......woh is me.

buckethead alien
Burning Since: 1997

Post by buckethead alien » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:57 am

Buckethead, Buckethead you are like an Alien
Buckethead, Buckethead your head is like a dish
Buckethead, Buckethead sometimes you wear the Maybelline
Buckethead, Buckethead sometimes you're full of fish

Bluebunnybee

Post by Bluebunnybee » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:03 pm

Cool photo!

Bluebunnybee

Post by Bluebunnybee » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:15 pm

Ink and Polaroid emlshionm lift. A photo my Pops took in Vietnam.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: so jealous

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:20 pm

samdu wrote: did you start out working in pencils? it seems like the easiest thing to cut my teeth on, but i'm not sure. do you work in ink or other colored pencils ever? and do you sketch from memory, or from models/photos/etc? i'm trying to pick your brain for pointers!
sam
pencils may or may not be your medium. Others that you might want to try for drawing are charcoal, pastels--chalk and oil--pen and ink (in various systems) and conte crayon. That's what you'd typically experiment with in a beginning drawing class. Also, various papers make a difference. In a class they always suggest newsprint--which I hate. It has a horrible feel and goes yellow in a matter of minutes. (warning, that statement may be subject to slight exaggeration.) But it's cheap, which means that you *may* feel very free to use it and not get stressed by using a nicer paper that cost a few dollars a sheet. (Yes there are choices in between.) Also, it may turn out that a certain scale is better for you. Experiement a lot. That's how you'll find out what works.

Everyone--it's been a loooooooooong time since I've drawn, and i now find that when I write I do better with a pen that's thick. What are those options with drawing and does it make a difference in your art?

Bluebunnybee

Post by Bluebunnybee » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:52 pm

Samdu:
In my experience of drawing there was a time when very young, old enough to pick up a marker, my expectations where less and felt very free with drawing and creating. In my early teens I began to become more restrictive and started to use a pencil so that I could erase my mistakes. Though I came closer to capturing what I was thinking of, the peace and inspiration of creating was fading. That was when the decision was made to abandon the eraser. The process became a lot more fluid and organic. Hand eye coordination did not fight each other. Latter when I went back to capturing something form life or memory the response of the hand was more instinctive and moment to moment. When I stopped thinking I could draw from my source. So if I am feeling tight I will simply scribble until I regain consciences. The more this process is practiced the stronge my channeling has become.

My two pennies.

samdu

thanks!

Post by samdu » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:14 pm

crypto and bbb, thanks for the input! i'm still at a point where i have to stare at something as i draw it, which is really frustrating, because i can see beautiful pictures in my mind, but can't hold onto them enough to be able to get them to paper. and i can't even think about drawing anything without an eraser! i used to draw a lot when i was a kid, until my father told me that i was the worst artist that he had ever seen. he was tremendously talented, so i guess he'd know.

bbb, your styles are so different! i love them, they're so evocative!

crypto, i actually bought a fairly good pad of paper, because i too hate the feel of newsprint. and you're right, it makes a huge difference. i also bought a good set of pencils, that came with a pad of sand paper, a burnisher, and a few other things. i've tried pastels before, and i feel that i'm not good enough with color yet- everything looks like a little kid's coloring book. (and i actually have coloring books and crayons, and when i'm feeling blue, i hide in the spare bedroom and color!)

anyway, i'm definitely bringing my pencils to the playa. hopefully nobody will come up behind me, look over my shoulder and snicker!

crypto, congratulations and bestest wished for the wedding!

sam the girl sam

DVD Burner

Re: thanks!

Post by DVD Burner » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:16 pm

samdu wrote: anyway, i'm definitely bringing my pencils to the playa. hopefully nobody will come up behind me, look over my shoulder and snicker!
What should you care. at least you'll be putting a smile on their face. :wink:

JezebelinHell

Re: so jealous

Post by JezebelinHell » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:25 am

samdu wrote:jezebelinhell, your pencil sketches are great! i've been doodling with pencils lately, trying to figure out what i'm doing. it's really frustrating, because i can see what's wrong, but don't know how to fix it! there's a lot of visual artistic talent in my family, but it seems to have skipped me. so, of course, i'm the one who WANTS to be able to draw! i'm going to take my pencils and pad out to the playa with me, and do some more doodling. did you start out working in pencils? it seems like the easiest thing to cut my teeth on, but i'm not sure. do you work in ink or other colored pencils ever? and do you sketch from memory, or from models/photos/etc? i'm trying to pick your brain for pointers!

everybody- each time i come back to this page, i simultaneously feel elated and deflated. elated to see such beautiful creations, and to know that i may get to meet some of the creators, and deflated because i still have such a green jealous beast hanging over my shoulder, saying "you'll never be able to do that!" but i still come back, and stare, and smile a whole bunch!

sam the girl sam
I can tell you what worked for me...
First of all, I pretty much always sketch the intensive stuff off of photos because they take me a few days to a few months to do, and memory is subject to change, as is the lighting on a model. My pics are ALL done with Clickster #2 mechanical pencils. I'm practically religious about it. My little sis bought me a ridiculously expensive set of artists pencils for my birthday one year, and I believe I used them twice. I don't do much color work on the portraits, just because my shading abilities aren't nearly as good when working with colors. I do a lot of comic book art though, and that's all full color. Prismacolors are great, but they're a royal pain in the ass. For the most part, my prismas sit in a shoe box, and I color with Crayola colored pencils.

As for the not being able to fix what's wrong part of your question, here's a method I devised when I was about 15. First, find a photo and copy it as close to it's original size as you possibly can. Then, get a lightbox or something similar and lay your drawing on top of the photo. In a different colored pen/pencil, trace over the basic outlines from the photo ONTO your picture. Now, look at the differences and study them hard. See if you're making the same mistakes every time, and then you can try and correct them. I used to make eyes too big on all my portraits, but I never noticed that that was the problem until I tried this method. Since then I've had a much easier time. Also, faces are bloody hard to draw. If you want to do that, try starting with a black and white photo (makes it easier to copy shading), and just draw either the right or left half of the face. Symmetry's the hardest thing to master, and I did half-faces for about a year before I was capable of doing a decent full portrait.

Anyways, this is just advice. No one can really make your art better, because it's YOUR art. All that matters is that it looks the way you want it to. If you can manage to track down Camp Shortfuse (we're unregistered this year), come ask for Miki. We'll draw together (I love drawing on the playa) and I'll let you have one of my pieces. Hope I see ya out there, and thanks for all the kind words about my art. It means a lot to me.
--Poe

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:18 am

I thought this was here already.....but no.....so here it is.

icebox

Post by icebox » Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:25 pm

I got away with this mural for my brother's newborn. Got to put that artistic burner spirit in these kids early on...

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:45 pm

nice! :wink:

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:15 am

That's sweet! I have an 18 month old grandson, with another in the on deck circle... would love to create something like that for them...

However... I don't do art... and, boy, is he glad!
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer

Bluebunnybee

Post by Bluebunnybee » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:07 pm

4x8 air brush ....1 of 7 I took out to BM 04........icebox that is a wonderful mural. lucky kid. I did a mural for a kids room. I will try and find it.

Bluebunnybee

Post by Bluebunnybee » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:13 pm

This is part of it.

Bluebunnybee

Post by Bluebunnybee » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:16 pm

This is the other part.

icebox

Post by icebox » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:11 am

Very nice.

tonytohono

Post by tonytohono » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:52 pm

Cool thread. I'll post more later. Here is the original larger version I borrowed from for one of my avatars. I have a series of things I am working on like this, if I can ever find the time. =)

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:55 pm

fuck you tonyt..that's good...real good
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

tonytohono

Post by tonytohono » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:03 pm

Thanks Cowboy. Many many years ago. Self portrait, camera on the tracks, just outside of Santa Cruz, straight after a visit to San Lorenzo Park... Circle Ones I think they called it. Launched, as in EST! Dug the B&W negs out awhile back and scanned them. Added the colored sky, spherized, and added the hands.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:39 am

Does'nt seem like anything is lost here. Only pepoles avatars. If I got mine back so can everyone else.

Excellent Spanky.

Return to “Open Discussion”